PES Select Protein: Read up!

Page 1 of 21 1236 ... Last
  1. Registered User
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,441
    Rep Power
    5913433

    Thumbs up PES Select Protein: Read up!


    Announcement Thread:

    I'm not intending this as an advertisement for our product, but let's just call this a pseudo-coop's corner. I think everyone can benefit from reading this writeup. Click on the references (in the brackets) and check out each source, then hit me with questions as you have them.

    The bottom line is that all proteins are not necessarily created equal, and a lot of this is very recent data (past year or two).

    PES select

    Cliffs:


    -Blend > whey or casein alone
    -The international protein conference deemed a 50/50 whey/casein blend (as in Select Protein) the optimal combination for building LBM
    -Milk protein isolate is the best protein source for LBM gain
    -The quality of whey can vary greatly, with WPC80 being the gold standard
    -The leucine content of a meal largely determines the muscle protein synthesis response. Adding leucine to protein to hit the threshold leucine dose is of great value, especially when the leucine is peptide-bound to more closely match the kinetics of the protein itself
    -And one that surprised me: whey is incredibly insulinogenic...moreso than sugars and other "bad" foods that people avoid like the plague. This insulin response is mitigated tremendously by consuming a blend
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES

  2. Enhanced Body Formulations
    Board Sponsor
    EBF Inc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,621
    Rep Power
    1541316

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    I'm not intending this as an advertisement for our product, but let's just call this a pseudo-coop's corner. I think everyone can benefit from reading this writeup. Click on the references (in the brackets) and check out each source, then hit me with questions as you have them.

    The bottom line is that all proteins are not necessarily created equal, and a lot of this is very recent data (past year or two).

    PES select

    Cliffs:

    -Blend > whey or casein alone
    -The international protein conference deemed a 50/50 whey/casein blend (as in Select Protein) the optimal combination for building LBM
    -Milk protein isolate is the best protein source for LBM gain
    -The quality of whey can vary greatly, with WPC80 being the gold standard
    -The leucine content of a meal largely determines the muscle protein synthesis response. Adding leucine to protein to hit the threshold leucine dose is of great value, especially when the leucine is peptide-bound to more closely match the kinetics of the protein itself
    -And one that surprised me: whey is incredibly insulinogenic...moreso than sugars and other "bad" foods that people avoid like the plague. This insulin response is mitigated tremendously by consuming a blend
    I love it coop

    But why about those who don't handle lactose well

    You add any digestive enzymes or probiotics?

    I generally eat my food and not drink it.

    But I'm willing to try this for sure. Just worried about my stomach

    How do you suggest it?

    Would you say with the inclusion of the peptform leucine that inbetween meals would be best to spike mps. Instead of aminos?
    Enhanced Body Formulations Product Educator
    For any questions on our products that need a quick response, please email me directly
    EnhancedBodyFormulations@gmail .com
  3. Registered User
    The Solution's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    8,762
    Rep Power
    6322263

    Great and detailed write up Cooper.
    Cannot wait to start baking and cooking with the Select.
    Team ScoobyPrep - Unleash Your Potential
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,441
    Rep Power
    5913433

    Quote Originally Posted by EBF Inc View Post
    I love it coop

    But why about those who don't handle lactose well

    You add any digestive enzymes or probiotics?

    I generally eat my food and not drink it.

    But I'm willing to try this for sure. Just worried about my stomach

    How do you suggest it?

    Would you say with the inclusion of the peptform leucine that inbetween meals would be best to spike mps. Instead of aminos?
    There is LESS than 1g of carbs per scoop. Remember, this is mostly isolate. But yes, lactase has been added even to deal with that < 1g of lactose per serving
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  5. Enhanced Body Formulations
    Board Sponsor
    EBF Inc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,621
    Rep Power
    1541316

    And what about inbetween meal shakes? Similar to what layne does with his aminos?
    Enhanced Body Formulations Product Educator
    For any questions on our products that need a quick response, please email me directly
    EnhancedBodyFormulations@gmail .com
  6. Registered User
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,441
    Rep Power
    5913433

    Quote Originally Posted by EBF Inc View Post
    And what about inbetween meal shakes? Similar to what layne does with his aminos?
    This would be your choice protein for that since it spikes leucine levels
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  7. Registered User
    LiveToLift's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13,349
    Rep Power
    9540853

    Good stuff here coop!
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider http://facebook.com/pescience
  8. Registered User
    kbayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    5,794
    Rep Power
    4373398

    Very informative and another great write up Coop.
    PES Representivie
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  9. Registered User
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,441
    Rep Power
    5913433

    Mod request: can we have this moved to the PES section?

    Thanks!
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  10. Registered User
    PrepNwa23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  174 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    4,360
    Rep Power
    2726316

    Loving this makes me want my protein even more good notes Coop as usual.
    PES Representative
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  11. Registered User
    TeamMetal.'s Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    33
    Rep Power
    26595

    Good write up coop. I am excited.
  12. PESCIENCE.com
    Board Sponsor
    nattydisaster's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    10,083
    Rep Power
    3183232

    Cooper did all of the research behind this formula, as well as all the science of the writeup. Lots of hard work went into this beast!
    Amino-IV - Not Your Average Amino
    SELECT Protein
    - Ultra-Premium Blend
    ALPHAMINE - Thermogenics...Redefined
  13. PESCIENCE.com
    Board Sponsor
    nattydisaster's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    10,083
    Rep Power
    3183232

    He also decided snickerdoodle needed to be our 3rd flavor. So after you try it and scream for joy at its amazing taste, send him a PM to tell him how much you love him
    Amino-IV - Not Your Average Amino
    SELECT Protein
    - Ultra-Premium Blend
    ALPHAMINE - Thermogenics...Redefined
  14. The BPS Rep
    jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    10,163
    Rep Power
    6628020

    Quote Originally Posted by nattydisaster View Post
    He also decided snickerdoodle needed to be our 3rd flavor. So after you try it and scream for joy at its amazing taste, send him a PM to tell him how much you love him
    So he's the one that decided there would be no blueberry muffin protein powder?


    Remind me to neg him.
    BPS Rep
    *All posts are solely the opinions of myself and do not reflect the opinions of BPS*
    www.bpsnutrition.net

    Subscribe to the BPS VIP List for inside information on new products, promos, and introductory offers!
  15. Registered User
    The Solution's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    8,762
    Rep Power
    6322263

    Quote Originally Posted by nattydisaster View Post
    Cooper did all of the research behind this formula, as well as all the science of the writeup. Lots of hard work went into this beast!
    Dude is a pure genius. Meeting him in person the guy is so focused on his work. Ever see this guy study? You dont want to interupt him or he will eat your hand off.

    Quote Originally Posted by nattydisaster View Post
    He also decided snickerdoodle needed to be our 3rd flavor. So after you try it and scream for joy at its amazing taste, send him a PM to tell him how much you love him
    ^^^ You know its going to be killer.
    Team ScoobyPrep - Unleash Your Potential
  16. Registered User
    Wilsy7's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  198 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Age
    23
    Posts
    551
    Rep Power
    153761

    So would this be better for bridging meals to increase MPS than amino IV?
  17. Registered User
    Touey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    U.S./Italy
    Posts
    1,771
    Rep Power
    3014414

    Quote Originally Posted by The Solution View Post
    You dont want to interupt him or he will eat your hand off.
    that kind reminding me of brotato on meal time
    "To your wife you should kiss try today"-Touey

    Brotato's bark brings shakes to the pups in the yard
  18. Registered User
    cbsharpe's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,665
    Rep Power
    780116

    Can't wait to get feedback on their protein. I know it's gonna be the shizzle!!!!

    Thanks for the write-up Coop!
  19. Registered User
    Bamski's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  222 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    884
    Rep Power
    513833

    Good read coop!
  20. Registered User
    bdcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    10,153
    Rep Power
    10502186

    I love threads made by Cyrus.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  21. Registered User
    Touey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    U.S./Italy
    Posts
    1,771
    Rep Power
    3014414

    coop is also part in the model show for protein? this time only you deciding no go with the sarong
    "To your wife you should kiss try today"-Touey

    Brotato's bark brings shakes to the pups in the yard
  22. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    R1balla's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    h town
    Posts
    11,447
    Rep Power
    3785188

    nice little write up!!
  23. Registered User
    De__eB's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    925
    Rep Power
    1636594

    Has Glanbia ever released any data to show that PepForm is more effective than leucine on its own?

    At 40% leucine, and the cost of PepForm, you could put in the same weight of leucine as PepForm, have 2.5x as much added leucine, and be significantly cheaper.

    So is PepForm going to be absorbed at 2.5x the rate of straight leucine?
    SNS Representative - DeeB@seriousnutritionsolutions .com
  24. Registered User
    andrew732's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    land of the boring
    Posts
    5,407
    Rep Power
    489899

    snickerdoodle cookies are awesome, so its pretty neat to see it as a protein flavor.
    doing my own thang!
  25. Registered User
    The Solution's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    8,762
    Rep Power
    6322263

    Quote Originally Posted by andrew732 View Post
    snickerdoodle cookies are awesome, so its pretty neat to see it as a protein flavor.
    Coming soon from Chef Bob's kitchen.
    Team ScoobyPrep - Unleash Your Potential
  26. PESCIENCE.com
    Board Sponsor
    nattydisaster's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    10,083
    Rep Power
    3183232

    Sippin on some doodle right now...
    Amino-IV - Not Your Average Amino
    SELECT Protein
    - Ultra-Premium Blend
    ALPHAMINE - Thermogenics...Redefined
  27. Registered User
    TeamMetal.'s Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    33
    Rep Power
    26595

    Quote Originally Posted by nattydisaster View Post
    Sippin on some doodle right now...
    Jealous. Never had an actual snickerdoodle before. From what I understand it's a sugar cookie with cinnamon? I love cinnamon. Can you describe the taste in any more detail?
  28. Registered User
    The Solution's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    8,762
    Rep Power
    6322263

    sipping. hell i have not had a shake in like a year. Lets talk cooking!
    Team ScoobyPrep - Unleash Your Potential
  29. PESCIENCE.com
    Board Sponsor
    nattydisaster's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    10,083
    Rep Power
    3183232

    Quote Originally Posted by TeamMetal. View Post
    Jealous. Never had an actual snickerdoodle before. From what I understand it's a sugar cookie with cinnamon? I love cinnamon. Can you describe the taste in any more detail?
    Its like a cinnamon roll except better. It is indeed a sugar cookie with cinnamon

    Name:  3113075933_3c50948e13_o.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  107.4 KB
    Amino-IV - Not Your Average Amino
    SELECT Protein
    - Ultra-Premium Blend
    ALPHAMINE - Thermogenics...Redefined
  30. Registered User
    redbirdfan1's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Putting the ILL in ILLinois
    Age
    37
    Posts
    136
    Rep Power
    66386

    cooper for Prez
  31. Registered User
    schizm's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,481
    Rep Power
    2207808

    Quote Originally Posted by nattydisaster View Post
    Sippin on some doodle right now...
    There's an innuendo in here somewhere, just can't seem to put my finger on it...hmm...

    bring on the snickerdoodle protein poppers!
    ~SNS~ Serious Nutrition Solutions- Rep
    Cortisol control:ReduceXT/Test Boost:DAA (bulk&caps)/Pump/N.O.:Agmatine(bulk & caps)/Test/sleep support:ZMA **RB** Est Post #22
  32. The BPS Rep
    jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    10,163
    Rep Power
    6628020

    Quote Originally Posted by The Solution View Post
    sipping. hell i have not had a shake in like a year. Lets talk cooking!
    Hey, I wasn't sure, but do you dislike protein shakes?

    Its hard to tell because you only bring it up every time anyone brings up drinking a shake....
    BPS Rep
    *All posts are solely the opinions of myself and do not reflect the opinions of BPS*
    www.bpsnutrition.net

    Subscribe to the BPS VIP List for inside information on new products, promos, and introductory offers!
  33. Registered User
    digitalducki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    757
    Rep Power
    302291

    I can't wait to try mixing it with Greek yogurt and some extra cinnamon
  34. Registered User
    andrew732's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    land of the boring
    Posts
    5,407
    Rep Power
    489899

    Quote Originally Posted by nattydisaster View Post
    Its like a cinnamon roll except better. It is indeed a sugar cookie with cinnamon

    Name:  3113075933_3c50948e13_o.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  107.4 KB
    man i miss these things, gonna have to make some during the weekend
    doing my own thang!
  35. Registered User
    The Solution's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    8,762
    Rep Power
    6322263

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    Hey, I wasn't sure, but do you dislike protein shakes?

    Its hard to tell because you only bring it up every time anyone brings up drinking a shake....
    Dont do protein shakes,
    unsatisfying and boring IMO ---> plus i enjoy eating my calories as often as possible. hence why i limit my protein to maybe a scoop a day tops i prefer whole foods (micronutrient wise and less processed wise seeing it is heavily processed)

    thats why i always cook with protein, or use it as a pudding (use it as a frosting on my baked goods, or mix Protein + Greek Yogurt with Diced Fruit, Cereal, Granola, Pretzels as a small side dish to a meal can also add things like cocoa, pb2, pumpkin pie spice, SF/FF Pudding mix etc)
    Team ScoobyPrep - Unleash Your Potential
  36. The BPS Rep
    jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    10,163
    Rep Power
    6628020

    Quote Originally Posted by The Solution View Post

    Dont do protein shakes,
    unsatisfying and boring IMO ---> plus i enjoy eating my calories as often as possible. hence why i limit my protein to maybe a scoop a day tops i prefer whole foods (micronutrient wise and less processed wise seeing it is heavily processed)

    thats why i always cook with protein, or use it as a pudding (use it as a frosting on my baked goods, or mix Protein + Greek Yogurt with Diced Fruit, Cereal, Granola, Pretzels as a small side dish to a meal can also add things like cocoa, pb2, pumpkin pie spice, SF/FF Pudding mix etc)
    Dang, didn't lay the sarcasm on near heavy enough.
    BPS Rep
    *All posts are solely the opinions of myself and do not reflect the opinions of BPS*
    www.bpsnutrition.net

    Subscribe to the BPS VIP List for inside information on new products, promos, and introductory offers!
  37. Registered User
    The Solution's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    8,762
    Rep Power
    6322263

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    Dang, didn't lay the sarcasm on near heavy enough.
    because a bold statement on the internet can really be read by the other user on the other end of the screen.

    Team ScoobyPrep - Unleash Your Potential
  38. Registered User
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,441
    Rep Power
    5913433

    Thanks everyone. Josh of course is giving me way too much credit. This was as much his brainchild as it was mine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wilsy7 View Post
    So would this be better for bridging meals to increase MPS than amino IV?
    I'd say either would be effective, as both contain high doses of EAAs and leucine. Go with what you're feeling

    Quote Originally Posted by De__eB View Post
    Has Glanbia ever released any data to show that PepForm is more effective than leucine on its own?

    At 40% leucine, and the cost of PepForm, you could put in the same weight of leucine as PepForm, have 2.5x as much added leucine, and be significantly cheaper.

    So is PepForm going to be absorbed at 2.5x the rate of straight leucine?
    I'm not sure any of these questions are relevant to anything besides cost of production. We worked with glanbia on this one and peptides ended up being the best bet. Absorption kinetics are not my concern. This isn't bio-gro.
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  39. Registered User
    De__eB's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    925
    Rep Power
    1636594

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post

    I'm not sure any of these questions are relevant to anything besides cost of production. We worked with glanbia on this one and peptides ended up being the best bet. Absorption kinetics are not my concern. This isn't bio-gro.
    I'm just saying, why pepform?

    You see the same thing in lots of products, expensive proprietary licensed ingredient at the end of a blend with no quantity given.

    In most cases, it's there for label fluff, aura of exclusivity, and as justification for high price point.

    PES has been a reputable brand so I assume that's not the case here, but pondering on it, I can't see the rationale for splurging on Pepform. Especially in the absence of any advantageous performance data on Pepform
    SNS Representative - DeeB@seriousnutritionsolutions .com
  40. Registered User
    T-Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northeastern United States
    Posts
    15,497
    Rep Power
    4267888

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post
    Dang, didn't lay the sarcasm on near heavy enough.

    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jimbuick again
    S.N.S. Rep

    T-bone@seriousnutritionsolutions .com
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. PES And Neogenix Teaming Up For Logging Oppurtunity!
    By PrepNwa23 in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: 07-27-2012, 09:23 AM
  2. Read up about PCT, still a little confused
    By Byard in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-25-2012, 07:56 AM
  3. SHOT (former BB.com Mod) scamming ppl...read up
    By kwyckemynd00 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 12-25-2005, 08:19 PM
  4. Coffee drinkers currently taking SD, read up.
    By LakeMountD in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-15-2005, 12:06 PM
  5. Heads up to those who use protein bars.
    By JBlaze in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-07-2003, 08:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in