PES Select Protein: Read up!

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Announcement Thread:

I'm not intending this as an advertisement for our product, but let's just call this a pseudo-coop's corner. I think everyone can benefit from reading this writeup. Click on the references (in the brackets) and check out each source, then hit me with questions as you have them.

The bottom line is that all proteins are not necessarily created equal, and a lot of this is very recent data (past year or two).

PES select

Cliffs:

-Blend > whey or casein alone
-The international protein conference deemed a 50/50 whey/casein blend (as in Select Protein) the optimal combination for building LBM
-Milk protein isolate is the best protein source for LBM gain
-The quality of whey can vary greatly, with WPC80 being the gold standard
-The leucine content of a meal largely determines the muscle protein synthesis response. Adding leucine to protein to hit the threshold leucine dose is of great value, especially when the leucine is peptide-bound to more closely match the kinetics of the protein itself
-And one that surprised me: whey is incredibly insulinogenic...moreso than sugars and other "bad" foods that people avoid like the plague. This insulin response is mitigated tremendously by consuming a blend

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm not intending this as an advertisement for our product, but let's just call this a pseudo-coop's corner. I think everyone can benefit from reading this writeup. Click on the references (in the brackets) and check out each source, then hit me with questions as you have them.

The bottom line is that all proteins are not necessarily created equal, and a lot of this is very recent data (past year or two).

PES select

Cliffs:

-The international protein conference deemed a 50/50 whey/casein blend (as in Select Protein) the optimal combination for building LBM
-The leucine content of a meal largely determines the muscle protein synthesis response. Adding leucine to protein to hit the threshold leucine dose is of great value, especially when the leucine is peptide-bound to more closely match the kinetics of the protein itself
-And one that surprised me: whey is incredibly insulinogenic...moreso than sugars and other "bad" foods that people avoid like the plague. This insulin response is mitigated tremendously by consuming a blend
I love it coop

But why about those who don't handle lactose well

You add any digestive enzymes or probiotics?

I generally eat my food and not drink it.

But I'm willing to try this for sure. Just worried about my stomach

How do you suggest it?

Would you say with the inclusion of the peptform leucine that inbetween meals would be best to spike mps. Instead of aminos?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Great and detailed write up Cooper.
Cannot wait to start baking and cooking with the Select.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I love it coop

But why about those who don't handle lactose well

You add any digestive enzymes or probiotics?

I generally eat my food and not drink it.

But I'm willing to try this for sure. Just worried about my stomach

How do you suggest it?

Would you say with the inclusion of the peptform leucine that inbetween meals would be best to spike mps. Instead of aminos?
There is LESS than 1g of carbs per scoop. Remember, this is mostly isolate. But yes, lactase has been added even to deal with that < 1g of lactose per serving

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
And what about inbetween meal shakes? Similar to what layne does with his aminos?

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good stuff here coop!

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Very informative and another great write up Coop.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Mod request: can we have this moved to the PES section?

Thanks!

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Loving this makes me want my protein even more good notes Coop as usual.

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Cooper did all of the research behind this formula, as well as all the science of the writeup. Lots of hard work went into this beast!

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
He also decided snickerdoodle needed to be our 3rd flavor. So after you try it and scream for joy at its amazing taste, send him a PM to tell him how much you love him

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
He also decided snickerdoodle needed to be our 3rd flavor. So after you try it and scream for joy at its amazing taste, send him a PM to tell him how much you love him
So he's the one that decided there would be no blueberry muffin protein powder?

Remind me to neg him.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Cooper did all of the research behind this formula, as well as all the science of the writeup. Lots of hard work went into this beast!
Dude is a pure genius. Meeting him in person the guy is so focused on his work. Ever see this guy study? You dont want to interupt him or he will eat your hand off.

^^^ You know its going to be killer.

Touey

Touey

Awards

cbsharpe

Awards
  • Established
Can't wait to get feedback on their protein. I know it's gonna be the shizzle!!!!

Thanks for the write-up Coop!

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I love threads made by Cyrus.

Touey

Touey

Awards
coop is also part in the model show for protein? this time only you deciding no go with the sarong

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Has Glanbia ever released any data to show that PepForm is more effective than leucine on its own?

At 40% leucine, and the cost of PepForm, you could put in the same weight of leucine as PepForm, have 2.5x as much added leucine, and be significantly cheaper.

So is PepForm going to be absorbed at 2.5x the rate of straight leucine?

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
snickerdoodle cookies are awesome, so its pretty neat to see it as a protein flavor.

TeamMetal.

TeamMetal.

Awards
Sippin on some doodle right now...
Jealous. Never had an actual snickerdoodle before. From what I understand it's a sugar cookie with cinnamon? I love cinnamon. Can you describe the taste in any more detail?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
sipping. hell i have not had a shake in like a year. Lets talk cooking!

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Jealous. Never had an actual snickerdoodle before. From what I understand it's a sugar cookie with cinnamon? I love cinnamon. Can you describe the taste in any more detail?
Its like a cinnamon roll except better. It is indeed a sugar cookie with cinnamon

3113075933_3c50948e13_o.jpg

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
sipping. hell i have not had a shake in like a year. Lets talk cooking!
Hey, I wasn't sure, but do you dislike protein shakes?

Its hard to tell because you only bring it up every time anyone brings up drinking a shake....

digitalducki

digitalducki

Awards
  • Established
I can't wait to try mixing it with Greek yogurt and some extra cinnamon

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Hey, I wasn't sure, but do you dislike protein shakes?

Its hard to tell because you only bring it up every time anyone brings up drinking a shake....
Dont do protein shakes,
unsatisfying and boring IMO ---> plus i enjoy eating my calories as often as possible. hence why i limit my protein to maybe a scoop a day tops i prefer whole foods (micronutrient wise and less processed wise seeing it is heavily processed)

thats why i always cook with protein, or use it as a pudding (use it as a frosting on my baked goods, or mix Protein + Greek Yogurt with Diced Fruit, Cereal, Granola, Pretzels as a small side dish to a meal can also add things like cocoa, pb2, pumpkin pie spice, SF/FF Pudding mix etc)

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dont do protein shakes,
unsatisfying and boring IMO ---> plus i enjoy eating my calories as often as possible. hence why i limit my protein to maybe a scoop a day tops i prefer whole foods (micronutrient wise and less processed wise seeing it is heavily processed)

thats why i always cook with protein, or use it as a pudding (use it as a frosting on my baked goods, or mix Protein + Greek Yogurt with Diced Fruit, Cereal, Granola, Pretzels as a small side dish to a meal can also add things like cocoa, pb2, pumpkin pie spice, SF/FF Pudding mix etc)
Dang, didn't lay the sarcasm on near heavy enough.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Dang, didn't lay the sarcasm on near heavy enough.
because a bold statement on the internet can really be read by the other user on the other end of the screen.

:Eyecrazy:

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Thanks everyone. Josh of course is giving me way too much credit. This was as much his brainchild as it was mine.

So would this be better for bridging meals to increase MPS than amino IV?
I'd say either would be effective, as both contain high doses of EAAs and leucine. Go with what you're feeling

Has Glanbia ever released any data to show that PepForm is more effective than leucine on its own?

At 40% leucine, and the cost of PepForm, you could put in the same weight of leucine as PepForm, have 2.5x as much added leucine, and be significantly cheaper.

So is PepForm going to be absorbed at 2.5x the rate of straight leucine?
I'm not sure any of these questions are relevant to anything besides cost of production. We worked with glanbia on this one and peptides ended up being the best bet. Absorption kinetics are not my concern. This isn't bio-gro. :D

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm not sure any of these questions are relevant to anything besides cost of production. We worked with glanbia on this one and peptides ended up being the best bet. Absorption kinetics are not my concern. This isn't bio-gro. :D
I'm just saying, why pepform?

You see the same thing in lots of products, expensive proprietary licensed ingredient at the end of a blend with no quantity given.

In most cases, it's there for label fluff, aura of exclusivity, and as justification for high price point.

PES has been a reputable brand so I assume that's not the case here, but pondering on it, I can't see the rationale for splurging on Pepform. Especially in the absence of any advantageous performance data on Pepform

Shin

Shin

Awards

You see the same thing in lots of products, expensive proprietary licensed ingredient at the end of a blend with no quantity given.

In most cases, it's there for label fluff, aura of exclusivity, and as justification for high price point.

PES has been a reputable brand so I assume that's not the case here, but pondering on it, I can't see the rationale for splurging on Pepform. Especially in the absence of any advantageous performance data on Pepform
Interesting thoughts on the marketing perspective with these patent dosed formulas.

In AUS we get 80+% pure WPC 11LBS for around $90 and we can also get some pretty cheap bulk cassein from Aussie cattle...

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Interesting read Coop.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards

It's really quite simple if you think about it. We wanted to include actual protein, not free form leucine. Giant Sports and several other companies have added free form BCAAs and had them declared "filler" aminos. Not everything is marketed to De_eb and other intelligent forum members. This protein will sell mainstream, and we decided consumers would be way too confused if the writeup and label is talking about not adding amino acids, and then we add Leucine. Even if leucine is beneficial, the common consumer isn't delineating the effects of various free form AAs. Pepform was the best choice, especially with the deal we got from Glanbia.

Interesting read Coop.
Thanks brotha

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Announcement Thread:

PES select

Cliffs:

how does the 72% of protein per serving break down?

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
50/50 whey casein as stated in the quoted post
So out of 100%, each serving contains about 36% of caesin, and 36% mpi?

And the other 28% is carbs, fats, and filler?

With the 1.5g of fat added in, and 1g of carbs, that is about 80% of the 33g serving size.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

You don't math well, yeah?

33g x .72 (72%) = 23.76

Rounded to 24g (12 whey/12 casein) protein, as stated on the label.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards

No. The protein content is half whey and half casein. I told nattydisaster that we could count the pepform as protein, but he decided he didn't want to pad the numbers even if it was leucine peptides (which are more expensive than MPI or WPC80 by weight). So they are the bulk of the extra grams. And yes, there is 1.5g fat and <1g carbs, which is phenomenal if you ask me. If you read the label, there is no filler. There are no extra added ingredients besides pepform, flavoring/sweetener, and lactase. It's one of the simplest profiles out there.

I'm not addressing this post in particular as that is certainly fair game, but I am going to respectfully ask that if you have a problem with myself or other PES reps, to take it to PM. Let's keep things professional as I've had a few members bring this up to me already (I didn't even notice it myself until today). Thanks

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You don't math well, yeah?

33g x .72 (72%) = 23.76

Rounded to 24g (12 whey/12 casein) protein, as stated on the label.
24g/33g= .727 ie, about 72% of the 33g serving is protein

That's why I put about. So I don't use exact numbers.