Green Tea Extract and Caffeine - AnabolicMinds.com

Green Tea Extract and Caffeine

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  164 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

Green Tea Extract and Caffeine

is caffeine a good combo with green tea extract? ive always thought so but i read that caffeine renders EGCG useless or something.

2. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Indeed it is a good combo, there is a study we reference in our Accelerant write up in which the two are used together successfully for fat loss.

For a supplement with those two ingredients, and much more, look into Accelerant.

http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/m...t-90-caps.html
    Molecular Nutrition - Unlevel The Field
    X-Factor: THE Most Scientifically Valid Muscle Builder, Ever!
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'6"  169 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Green tea catechins inhibit COMT which can increase the half-life of the adrenaline hormones induced by caffeine consumption.

This opens a couple of possibilities:

-SIGNIFICANTLY greater effects with low doses of caffeine, resulting in lowered tolerance development to caffeine
    -Modestly increases effects with high doses of caffeine.

In one study, supplementation with 90mg EGCG and 50mg caffeine 3x daily increased 24 hour energy consumption from +15 calories (50mg 3x/daily caffeine alone) to +79 calories (caffeine + EGCG)

--

The reading you might have seen about ECGC and caffeine being useless is all confounded with caffeine tolerance. In individuals who consume over 300mg daily for long periods of time, the effects of caffeine begin to disappear. As ECGC merely enhances the duration of the effects of caffeine, it isn't going to be much help in the caffeine tolerant.

So, as you should already be doing, make sure you take stim breaks every couple of months.

--

We've got a great price on both our caffeine and green tea products by the way
    SNS Representative - DeeB@seriousnutritionsolutions .com
    •   

4. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

EGCG's effects on COMT are negligible. Green tea extract is an amazing value though (I use NP/SNS) for health purposes. But no, the effects on COMT are neither significant nor responsible for the fat loss effects of EGCG
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  5. Pro Virili Parte

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    EGCG's effects on COMT are negligible. Green tea extract is an amazing value though (I use NP/SNS) for health purposes. But no, the effects on COMT are neither significant nor responsible for the fat loss effects of EGCG
    really?

I thought the MOA behind green tea for fat loss was, catechins = COMT enzyme inhibited = higher norepinephrine levels

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10584049
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  6. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    really?

I thought the MOA behind green tea for fat loss was, catechins = COMT enzyme inhibited = higher norepinephrine levels

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10584049
    Yes, that is what was cited above. This was an exploratory paper. Further studies were conducted and the dose needed for COMT inhibition in humans is 4-5 grams. Thus, there is another explanation for the described effects, which as of yet is poorly understood. EGCG also independently boosts weight loss by increasing gut losses of nutrients in the small intestine (particularly fats)
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by De__eB View Post
    Green tea catechins inhibit COMT which can increase the half-life of the adrenaline hormones induced by caffeine consumption.

This opens a couple of possibilities:

-SIGNIFICANTLY greater effects with low doses of caffeine, resulting in lowered tolerance development to caffeine
    -Modestly increases effects with high doses of caffeine.

In one study, supplementation with 90mg EGCG and 50mg caffeine 3x daily increased 24 hour energy consumption from +15 calories (50mg 3x/daily caffeine alone) to +79 calories (caffeine + EGCG)

--

The reading you might have seen about ECGC and caffeine being useless is all confounded with caffeine tolerance. In individuals who consume over 300mg daily for long periods of time, the effects of caffeine begin to disappear. As ECGC merely enhances the duration of the effects of caffeine, it isn't going to be much help in the caffeine tolerant.

So, as you should already be doing, make sure you take stim breaks every couple of months.

--

We've got a great price on both our caffeine and green tea products by the way
    High quality raws at an unbeatable price. Green tea extract has a multitude of benefits beyond fat loss. Great supplement.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions | Online Representative
    Growth Factor XT-GROW! Need Cycle Support? Check out Liver XT.
    Follow SNS on Facebook for more promos!
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  202 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by bananaClip View Post
    is caffeine a good combo with green tea extract? ive always thought so but i read that caffeine renders EGCG useless or something.
    In the past I took Kre-Alkalyn creatine with green tea extract and caffeine added. I loved it it really gave me a boost in the gym.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Green Tea Extract may be harmful
    By 200wannabe in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-07-2013, 04:30 PM
  2. Improve Your Health and Lose Fat With Green Tea Extract
    By kingjameskjf in forum Serious Nutrition Solutions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-12-2012, 03:05 PM
  3. Green Tea Extract and Bulking?
    By BOHICA in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-10-2005, 09:27 PM
  4. Green Tea extract and ALCAR in solution??
    By Wedgylx in forum Supplements
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-15-2005, 12:53 PM
  5. Added Green tea Extract
    By Gmonkey in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-20-2003, 05:59 AM