Green Tea Extract and Caffeine

bananaClip

bananaClip

Awards
  • Established
is caffeine a good combo with green tea extract? ive always thought so but i read that caffeine renders EGCG useless or something.

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Green tea catechins inhibit COMT which can increase the half-life of the adrenaline hormones induced by caffeine consumption.

This opens a couple of possibilities:

-SIGNIFICANTLY greater effects with low doses of caffeine, resulting in lowered tolerance development to caffeine
-Modestly increases effects with high doses of caffeine.

In one study, supplementation with 90mg EGCG and 50mg caffeine 3x daily increased 24 hour energy consumption from +15 calories (50mg 3x/daily caffeine alone) to +79 calories (caffeine + EGCG)

--

The reading you might have seen about ECGC and caffeine being useless is all confounded with caffeine tolerance. In individuals who consume over 300mg daily for long periods of time, the effects of caffeine begin to disappear. As ECGC merely enhances the duration of the effects of caffeine, it isn't going to be much help in the caffeine tolerant.

So, as you should already be doing, make sure you take stim breaks every couple of months.

--

We've got a great price on both our caffeine and green tea products by the way

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
EGCG's effects on COMT are negligible. Green tea extract is an amazing value though (I use NP/SNS) for health purposes. But no, the effects on COMT are neither significant nor responsible for the fat loss effects of EGCG

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
EGCG's effects on COMT are negligible. Green tea extract is an amazing value though (I use NP/SNS) for health purposes. But no, the effects on COMT are neither significant nor responsible for the fat loss effects of EGCG
really?

I thought the MOA behind green tea for fat loss was, catechins = COMT enzyme inhibited = higher norepinephrine levels

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10584049

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
really?

I thought the MOA behind green tea for fat loss was, catechins = COMT enzyme inhibited = higher norepinephrine levels

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10584049
Yes, that is what was cited above. This was an exploratory paper. Further studies were conducted and the dose needed for COMT inhibition in humans is 4-5 grams. Thus, there is another explanation for the described effects, which as of yet is poorly understood. EGCG also independently boosts weight loss by increasing gut losses of nutrients in the small intestine (particularly fats)

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Green tea catechins inhibit COMT which can increase the half-life of the adrenaline hormones induced by caffeine consumption.

This opens a couple of possibilities:

-SIGNIFICANTLY greater effects with low doses of caffeine, resulting in lowered tolerance development to caffeine
-Modestly increases effects with high doses of caffeine.

In one study, supplementation with 90mg EGCG and 50mg caffeine 3x daily increased 24 hour energy consumption from +15 calories (50mg 3x/daily caffeine alone) to +79 calories (caffeine + EGCG)

--

The reading you might have seen about ECGC and caffeine being useless is all confounded with caffeine tolerance. In individuals who consume over 300mg daily for long periods of time, the effects of caffeine begin to disappear. As ECGC merely enhances the duration of the effects of caffeine, it isn't going to be much help in the caffeine tolerant.

So, as you should already be doing, make sure you take stim breaks every couple of months.

--

We've got a great price on both our caffeine and green tea products by the way
High quality raws at an unbeatable price. Green tea extract has a multitude of benefits beyond fat loss. Great supplement.

tcslick

tcslick

Awards
is caffeine a good combo with green tea extract? ive always thought so but i read that caffeine renders EGCG useless or something.
In the past I took Kre-Alkalyn creatine with green tea extract and caffeine added. I loved it it really gave me a boost in the gym.