Bad Knees

Iceman72

Iceman72

Awards
What do you guys recommend to help with my bad knees?

I have tried cissus, glucosamine, flax/fish oils, just straight omega3, I even had some steroid injection my sports medicine doc did for me from when I knew him back in college.

Anybody got any recommendations on a supplement of choice that might help?

xhrr

Awards
You need to get to the root of the problem and not first rely on a supplement. Such as what causes your knee pain. Could be form, technique, mobility, muscular imbalance, etc. Is your injury chronic or acute?

Mrbolt84

Mrbolt84

Awards
  • Established
What works for me any my knee pain is topical msm and glucosamine, cissus powder, fish oil daily and knee wraps on leg day.
You gotta keep taking your support supps..iv noticed that if I come off the pain comes right back
Hope this helps

Iceman72

Iceman72

Awards
Why are your knees bad?
ex collegiate football and hockey player.. Tore my mcl on my right knee twice and the patella tendon on both knees once. I have almost no minsicus in my right knee. Dang thing is a ticking time bomb when I'm squatting I swear

Iceman72

Iceman72

Awards
You need to get to the root of the problem and not first rely on a supplement. Such as what causes your knee pain. Could be form, technique, mobility, muscular imbalance, etc. Is your injury chronic or acute?
Mostly from previous injury and surgeries. I do work hip flexibility and motor mobility in both my ankles and knees as well. Do everything I can to stay nice and loose especially on leg days. It's just the squats and cleans that kill me.

Iceman72

Iceman72

Awards
What works for me any my knee pain is topical msm and glucosamine, cissus powder, fish oil daily and knee wraps on leg day. You gotta keep taking your support supps..iv noticed that if I come off the pain comes right back Hope this helps
I do just about exactly what you mentioned above. Id really hate to have to lighten my squatting weights just because of knee pain ya know? Just looking for any alternatives if there are any

thedarce

thedarce

Awards
  • Established
i have a torn meniscus that i never got taken care of. doing jiu jitsu i couldnt really shoot for a takedown, after a few years like this the only thing that made me feel back to normal was iForce Joint Help. add fish oills and i felt amazing.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Might time to start backing off of squats and maybe use sled/ prowler work and some single leg exercises like Bulgarian splits and lunges

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
If it hurts don't do it no sense in further injuring yourself and I know were probably not supposed to suggest peptides in the supplement forum but I've heard great things about igf and mgf for tendon and joint repair can't say anything from experience but I know some guys that swear by them

tyrub42

tyrub42

Awards
  • Established
ex collegiate football and hockey player.. Tore my mcl on my right knee twice and the patella tendon on both knees once. I have almost no minsicus in my right knee. Dang thing is a ticking time bomb when I'm squatting I swear
With that much interior damage (especially almost no meniscus), you need to get checked out and see if your right knee is becoming prematurely arthritic. They have some new surgical techniques that use your own stem cells to repair meniscus tears and knee arthritis that you can look into. As for supplements, I have had 30% of my medial meniscus removed in my left knee and both knees are a bit banged up in addition to a previous back fracture, labrum tear, neck injuries and surgery; in addition to persistent smaller injuries in wrists, fingers, toes, etc etc from grappling. I take high-dose fish oil (enough to get 3000mg EPA/DHA) and 2 Super Cissus RX from USP labs every morning and generally feel great.

I also recommend giving foam rolling a try. I have to roll my left IT band at least once a week or my left knee starts cracking and popping and always feels like there is air stuck inside of it; problems in the hip/IT band can easily spread down to knees (and probably to ankles), and foam rolling is 100% safe, free except a few bucks to buy a foam roller, and therapeutic to your muscles. Other than the pain, there are no downsides :) . When I foam roll my left leg, I get shooting pains down in my knee that disappear as I keep rolling it. I couldn't believe how much it helped in only a few days. Good luck!

A few of my friends here have also gotten PRP shots in their knees and say good things, but I don't know anything specific about those.

Best,
Tyler

laneanders

laneanders

Awards
Yeah you may want to have it looked at, but in the meantime some benefits can be attained from IForce Joint Help and Fish Oil.

dkgreene88

dkgreene88

Awards
  • Established
Have you ever tried joint help? I didn't have the same prob as you but I was popping and super sore in my joints this has helped me immensely

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
as these guys mentioned joint help is a very good supplement but I personally have also had terrific success using castor oil wraps, combined with ice packs..
nothing stands a chance.. unless its an actual injury then u will need moar fire powa

Newbiewar

Awards
as with anything muscle strength imbalance/flexibility is the root of most pain. the minuscules is a problem, and it should feel more like a grinding pain than anything else. From what I've read, you need to dramatically increase your sulfur intake, MSM or Glucosamine-Chondroitin Sulfate is another great choice, but also onions & garlic or anything in the onion family will also be effective. The body can repair a lot of the tissue damage, but it needs sulfur and blood flow without increasing trauma to the site. so your high to ultra high reps with low weight is always encouraged from a physical therapy standpoint.

Flexibility doesn't always mean that you don't have muscle imbalances. Stretching is good, but if you only focus on certain movements, that may neglect hamstring, vastus medius, or glute development may cause the patella to always be pulled more heavily in one direction versus the others.

One last thing that is important to discuss, is scar tissue in the actual ligaments, if you have access to them (obviously not the acl/pcl) you can do some deep tissue massages to break up any scar tissue, this tissue can swell more than it should and rub against things it shouldnt and cause pain. Sometimes a little regular therapy can make you feel a lot better.

Good lifting, hope this helps a little

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm with ya man, I have lost most of my meniscus and other cartilage. For me to squat I use patella straps and plenty of glucosamine. Even then I can't go to heavy, it's just something I had to come to terms with, I could make it Alot worse than the arthritis that's starting if I push it to hard.

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Some great options in this thread.

Another option would be EPharms topical Joint Force. Apply a thin layer to your knees which would require the pain relief. We habe had great feedback on the product and results.

SPLocal

Awards
Prehab/rehab work is optimal as everyone else suggested, and moderating your weights/sessions if you are pushed past a functional comfort zone. Others are more knowledgeable than I regarding peptides/igf but I see no reason to turn them down. Given the extent of your injuries I'm not sure you can expect too much from any supplement--though that doesn't mean they can't assist the larger picture.

I'll also second foam rolling and mashing; you can look into a more stringent form of spot treatment like the Rumble Roller "Beastie" ball (rather than a lacrosse ball) if it is of interest to you.

As far as supplements go, I've used bulk cissus and E-Pharm's Joint-Spray (for analgesic purposes) but as far as tendon/ligament support goes Antaeus Labs' Achilles has treated me best. It contains Cissus (which you can also purchase in bulk) but I find that PEA (Palmitoylethanolamide) and the Heteropterys extract are the stars of the formula, the former has analgesic/anti-inflammatory properties while the latter is specifically geared towards connective tissue recovery:

“H. aphrodisiaca associated with endurance training contributed to more efficient remodeling of the extracellular matrix, resulting in more resistant tendons to support high loads from intense muscle contraction. These findings suggest that H. aphrodisiaca infusion is a potential aid to optimize tendon remodeling in athletes.”

(Monteiro JC, Gomes ML, Tomiosso TC, Nakagaki WR, Sbervelheri MM, Ferrucci DL, et al. More resistant tendons obtained from the association of Heteropterys aphrodisiaca and endurance training. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2011 Jun 28;11(1):51.)

For what its worth as well on the AM boards, Coop backs Achilles for tendon/ligament support. There's some dialogue here on distinctions between joint-centric and tendon-centric supports if you're interested: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-science/234248-best-joint-tendon.html

And some user feedback: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/217197-achilles-heal-snags-5.html#post3750339

Iceman72

Iceman72

Awards
Thanks guys I appreciate everything. I do use the foam roller and I agree it help a ton with loosening everything up. Maybe I can see my doc and look into prp ( I know a lot of my college buddies that have gotten that shot with good results) I guess I can look into some other supplement options and just take it easy and rehab for a little to relieve some of the pain