Bad Knees

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  237 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.52%

Bad Knees

What do you guys recommend to help with my bad knees?

I have tried cissus, glucosamine, flax/fish oils, just straight omega3, I even had some steroid injection my sports medicine doc did for me from when I knew him back in college.

Anybody got any recommendations on a supplement of choice that might help?

2. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.75%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Why are your knees bad?
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.59%
    Achievements Activity Pro

You need to get to the root of the problem and not first rely on a supplement. Such as what causes your knee pain. Could be form, technique, mobility, muscular imbalance, etc. Is your injury chronic or acute?
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.34%

What works for me any my knee pain is topical msm and glucosamine, cissus powder, fish oil daily and knee wraps on leg day.
    You gotta keep taking your support supps..iv noticed that if I come off the pain comes right back
    Hope this helps
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  237 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.52%

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Why are your knees bad?
    ex collegiate football and hockey player.. Tore my mcl on my right knee twice and the patella tendon on both knees once. I have almost no minsicus in my right knee. Dang thing is a ticking time bomb when I'm squatting I swear
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  237 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.52%

Quote Originally Posted by xhrr View Post
    You need to get to the root of the problem and not first rely on a supplement. Such as what causes your knee pain. Could be form, technique, mobility, muscular imbalance, etc. Is your injury chronic or acute?
    Mostly from previous injury and surgeries. I do work hip flexibility and motor mobility in both my ankles and knees as well. Do everything I can to stay nice and loose especially on leg days. It's just the squats and cleans that kill me.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  237 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.52%

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbolt84 View Post
    What works for me any my knee pain is topical msm and glucosamine, cissus powder, fish oil daily and knee wraps on leg day. You gotta keep taking your support supps..iv noticed that if I come off the pain comes right back Hope this helps
    I do just about exactly what you mentioned above. Id really hate to have to lighten my squatting weights just because of knee pain ya know? Just looking for any alternatives if there are any
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  179 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.66%

i have a torn meniscus that i never got taken care of. doing jiu jitsu i couldnt really shoot for a takedown, after a few years like this the only thing that made me feel back to normal was iForce Joint Help. add fish oills and i felt amazing.
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.86%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Might time to start backing off of squats and maybe use sled/ prowler work and some single leg exercises like Bulgarian splits and lunges
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.48%

If it hurts don't do it no sense in further injuring yourself and I know were probably not supposed to suggest peptides in the supplement forum but I've heard great things about igf and mgf for tendon and joint repair can't say anything from experience but I know some guys that swear by them
    The Swole Stoner
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.53%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman72 View Post
    ex collegiate football and hockey player.. Tore my mcl on my right knee twice and the patella tendon on both knees once. I have almost no minsicus in my right knee. Dang thing is a ticking time bomb when I'm squatting I swear
    With that much interior damage (especially almost no meniscus), you need to get checked out and see if your right knee is becoming prematurely arthritic. They have some new surgical techniques that use your own stem cells to repair meniscus tears and knee arthritis that you can look into. As for supplements, I have had 30% of my medial meniscus removed in my left knee and both knees are a bit banged up in addition to a previous back fracture, labrum tear, neck injuries and surgery; in addition to persistent smaller injuries in wrists, fingers, toes, etc etc from grappling. I take high-dose fish oil (enough to get 3000mg EPA/DHA) and 2 Super Cissus RX from USP labs every morning and generally feel great.

I also recommend giving foam rolling a try. I have to roll my left IT band at least once a week or my left knee starts cracking and popping and always feels like there is air stuck inside of it; problems in the hip/IT band can easily spread down to knees (and probably to ankles), and foam rolling is 100% safe, free except a few bucks to buy a foam roller, and therapeutic to your muscles. Other than the pain, there are no downsides . When I foam roll my left leg, I get shooting pains down in my knee that disappear as I keep rolling it. I couldn't believe how much it helped in only a few days. Good luck!

A few of my friends here have also gotten PRP shots in their knees and say good things, but I don't know anything specific about those.

Best,
    Tyler
  12. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.47%

Yeah you may want to have it looked at, but in the meantime some benefits can be attained from IForce Joint Help and Fish Oil.
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.75%

Have you ever tried joint help? I didn't have the same prob as you but I was popping and super sore in my joints this has helped me immensely
    Myokem Rep 15% Off @ Myokem.com use code dkgreene15
    NITRAMINE-Elite Preworkout Ignition System |PYROXAMINEHigh Performance Thermogenic Agent |MAGNITROPIN-High Performance Myotropic Agent |ALPHADEX-High Performance Hormone Modulator
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1%

as these guys mentioned joint help is a very good supplement but I personally have also had terrific success using castor oil wraps, combined with ice packs..
    nothing stands a chance.. unless its an actual injury then u will need moar fire powa
    FINAFLEX forum rep
    visit our website at finaflex.com
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.33%

as with anything muscle strength imbalance/flexibility is the root of most pain. the minuscules is a problem, and it should feel more like a grinding pain than anything else. From what I've read, you need to dramatically increase your sulfur intake, MSM or Glucosamine-Chondroitin Sulfate is another great choice, but also onions & garlic or anything in the onion family will also be effective. The body can repair a lot of the tissue damage, but it needs sulfur and blood flow without increasing trauma to the site. so your high to ultra high reps with low weight is always encouraged from a physical therapy standpoint.

Flexibility doesn't always mean that you don't have muscle imbalances. Stretching is good, but if you only focus on certain movements, that may neglect hamstring, vastus medius, or glute development may cause the patella to always be pulled more heavily in one direction versus the others.

One last thing that is important to discuss, is scar tissue in the actual ligaments, if you have access to them (obviously not the acl/pcl) you can do some deep tissue massages to break up any scar tissue, this tissue can swell more than it should and rub against things it shouldnt and cause pain. Sometimes a little regular therapy can make you feel a lot better.

Good lifting, hope this helps a little
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.93%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

I'm with ya man, I have lost most of my meniscus and other cartilage. For me to squat I use patella straps and plenty of glucosamine. Even then I can't go to heavy, it's just something I had to come to terms with, I could make it Alot worse than the arthritis that's starting if I push it to hard.
  17. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.11%

Tart Cherry
    SAMe
  18. On my grind
    Stats
    5'8"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.79%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Some great options in this thread.

Another option would be EPharms topical Joint Force. Apply a thin layer to your knees which would require the pain relief. We habe had great feedback on the product and results.
    E-Pharm Rep... PM me with any questions or concerns
  19. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.09%

Prehab/rehab work is optimal as everyone else suggested, and moderating your weights/sessions if you are pushed past a functional comfort zone. Others are more knowledgeable than I regarding peptides/igf but I see no reason to turn them down. Given the extent of your injuries I'm not sure you can expect too much from any supplement--though that doesn't mean they can't assist the larger picture.

I'll also second foam rolling and mashing; you can look into a more stringent form of spot treatment like the Rumble Roller "Beastie" ball (rather than a lacrosse ball) if it is of interest to you.

As far as supplements go, I've used bulk cissus and E-Pharm's Joint-Spray (for analgesic purposes) but as far as tendon/ligament support goes Antaeus Labs' Achilles has treated me best. It contains Cissus (which you can also purchase in bulk) but I find that PEA (Palmitoylethanolamide) and the Heteropterys extract are the stars of the formula, the former has analgesic/anti-inflammatory properties while the latter is specifically geared towards connective tissue recovery:

“H. aphrodisiaca associated with endurance training contributed to more efficient remodeling of the extracellular matrix, resulting in more resistant tendons to support high loads from intense muscle contraction. These findings suggest that H. aphrodisiaca infusion is a potential aid to optimize tendon remodeling in athletes.”

(Monteiro JC, Gomes ML, Tomiosso TC, Nakagaki WR, Sbervelheri MM, Ferrucci DL, et al. More resistant tendons obtained from the association of Heteropterys aphrodisiaca and endurance training. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2011 Jun 28;11(1):51.)

For what its worth as well on the AM boards, Coop backs Achilles for tendon/ligament support. There's some dialogue here on distinctions between joint-centric and tendon-centric supports if you're interested: Best Joint/Tendon Supplement on the market?

And some user feedback: The ACHILLES Heal of Snags...
    Antaeus Labs Representative

20. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  237 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.52%

Thanks guys I appreciate everything. I do use the foam roller and I agree it help a ton with loosening everything up. Maybe I can see my doc and look into prp ( I know a lot of my college buddies that have gotten that shot with good results) I guess I can look into some other supplement options and just take it easy and rehab for a little to relieve some of the pain

Similar Forum Threads

1. HELP!! Bad Knee, I have no idea how to workout now
    By MoTiV in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-19-2010, 06:04 PM
  2. Bad Knee - Missing Cartilage (Help w/ exercise ideas)
    By useyourhead in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-04-2010, 12:25 PM
  3. bad knee
    By doyoudo911 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-04-2009, 02:54 PM
  4. bad knees and squats
    By nightshift in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-23-2008, 11:00 AM
  5. Egad - Help: Chicken Legs B/c Of Bad Knees!!
    By gettin'old in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-28-2002, 11:37 AM