Sulforaphane. Any thoughts ?

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sulforaphane is cheap and has a myosatin reduction effect. I just started using it. What are your thoughts on the supplement?

Mine are its cheap enough to try and couldn't hurt.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I'm all for it (although I eat a lot of Broccoli).

BAC used to have a very high extract product; something like 10:1 or 20:1. It was a powder I would add to smoothies, along with Beet Root Extract powder (TMG).

The powder is widely avialable (BAC no longer carries its own brand, but many others do), and its dirt cheap (and so it beet root powder).

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Its in fresh broccoli. Once frozen its gone so to speak. I opt for cheap nutrition vs something that can ruin before I use it. Personal choice

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its in fresh broccoli. Once frozen its gone so to speak. I opt for cheap nutrition vs something that can ruin before I use it. Personal choice

Where did you read that?. I read that there is more of it in raw broccoli, much less in cooked broccoli.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Although coleslaw mix in the bags*not frozen* has cabbage,lettuce,ect which has it in it but my question is not how to get it but what people think about the ingredient.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Where did you read that?. I read that there is more of it in raw broccoli, much less in cooked broccoli.
Can't read the full study. Could it be only some brands, that may blanch the broccoli before freezing?.
The problem is more than likely the cooking method brother man. If you steam it the nutrient losses should be minimal

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
The problem is more than likely the cooking method brother man. If you steam it the nutrient losses should be minimal
That and heres something interesting. An employee at dole just confirmed that when those bags of coleslaw or veggie mixs are shipped they remain unfrozen and generaly un blanched. Just washed.

Call them to confirm. There's a food source that goes with everything.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Please do NOT stray from frozen veggies though my brother! They have a big place. Broccoli in particular. The natural estrogen regulator and fiber stay intact!

Sulor32

Sulor32

Awards
i eat frozen vegies, i buy bag loads of them and stock em in the deep freeze when it runs low i get ****ty.
its got 5 different vegies in it broccoli,cauliflower,corn,peas,carrots.
$1.50 a kg bag from Aldi.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
i eat frozen vegies, i buy bag loads of them and stock em in the deep freeze when it runs low i get ****ty.
its got 5 different vegies in it broccoli,cauliflower,corn,peas,carrots.
$1.50 a kg bag from Aldi.
I get mine from sams club. Online coupon I got one time got me 5 lbs for a dollar. INVEST IN A PRINTER PEOPLE!

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
Who sells sulfurophane?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
1. Cooking broccoli is actually a good thing.

2. Sulforophane is quite legit for myostatin inhibition, but there is mass confusion over this pathway in general. People see the mega-cows or the promise MIs hold for people with wasting conditions and they get excited. Inhibiting myostatin in bodybuilders is a fairly moot pursuit. Weight training is a very strong myostatin inhibitor in itself. I think sulforophane is pretty cool for its other effects though. Its MOA epitomizes anti-longevity, and yet, its effects (in simple organisms) show otherwise.

Similar to resveratrol, this compound does a lot of ****, and I don't think it's appropriate to isolate one pathway/effect or another. We need to see what the big picture ends up looking like, and for that, we need human data.

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
Ordered some. Hope this doesn't taste as foul as MSM

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
1. Cooking broccoli is actually a good thing.

2. Sulforophane is quite legit for myostatin inhibition, but there is mass confusion over this pathway in general. People see the mega-cows or the promise MIs hold for people with wasting conditions and they get excited. Inhibiting myostatin in bodybuilders is a fairly moot pursuit. Weight training is a very strong myostatin inhibitor in itself. I think sulforophane is pretty cool for its other effects though. Its MOA epitomizes anti-longevity, and yet, its effects (in simple organisms) show otherwise.

Similar to resveratrol, this compound does a lot of ****, and I don't think it's appropriate to isolate one pathway/effect or another. We need to see what the big picture ends up looking like, and for that, we need human data.
Agreed. Let alone the anti cancer benefits.

I believe baby spinach,classic coleslaw and lettuce are the best fresh sources for the sulforaphane. Especally if you eat alot of salads or sandwiches. Allows you to eat it raw 90% of the time.

Im still interested to see a study on how much it would take. Those cows are on myosatin inhibitors,bovine growth hormone,and anabolic androgenic steroids. I know the difference.

I will say myosatin reduction will lead to more growth . I don't believe it will matter much in 1 week of eating high sulforaphane foods.

I do believe however if you kept it up for 2 years I believe it would lead to more growth.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Agreed. Let alone the anti cancer benefits.

I believe baby spinach,classic coleslaw and lettuce are the best fresh sources for the sulforaphane. Especally if you eat alot of salads or sandwiches. Allows you to eat it raw 90% of the time.

Im still interested to see a study on how much it would take. Those cows are on myosatin inhibitors,bovine growth hormone,and anabolic androgenic steroids. I know the difference.

I will say myosatin reduction will lead to more growth . I don't believe it will matter much in 1 week of eating high sulforaphane foods.

I do believe however if you kept it up for 2 years I believe it would lead to more growth.
I'm sure myostatin inhibition leads to more muscle growth. It's the degree we're talking here. There are probably other pathways that are:

1. More easily manipulated
2. More effective for muscle growth if healthy

E.g. ArA -> PGF2a, HICA -> mTOR, etc

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm sure myostatin inhibition leads to more muscle growth. It's the degree we're talking here. There are probably other pathways that are:

1. More easily manipulated
2. More effective for muscle growth if healthy

E.g. ArA -> PGF2a, HICA -> mTOR, etc
Well the problem is also its not a myosatin inhibitor or blocker. Its a reduction effect. I am sure in the LONG run it may add up to maybe 10 more lbs over 7 years. Some figure like that anyway
As you know our body doesnt like that kinda change

My questions regarding this is as follows.

How long does the reduction last. The study in rats seem to suggest an overall reduction. No answer to if A:the effect builds up and B:if the reduction is long lasting enough to support muscle growth or extra in our case.

How much of this stuff is needed to be effective?

Very interesting and I would love to see research on this in the coming years.

I say ill buy the coleslaw ect and try and have a serving or 3 a day. This should yeild 2000 mcg to 4000 mcg of sulforaphane if my math is right. Certainly won't do me any harm.