Spirulina supplementation

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Cool. At the very least, seems like a great benign adjunct to cholesterol management.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Seems the reason why it isnt more popular is most supplements are contaminated with other algae which have toxicity concerns

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Can someone recommend a source or specific product that does not suffer from contamination concerns?

I've never used used, but if it is anywhere as good as those studies suggest - I give it a go.

marksdiman123

Awards
I use the NOW brand, they are GMP approved and are pretty reliable AFAIK

dtrain13

dtrain13

Awards
  • Established
Its great in fish food. Feed it to all my fish. LOL Seriously though.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
Seriously, I do feed it to all my fish :)

I have been considering the BioAge Algae

sisi1887

Awards
I supplement with Spirulina powder. Problem is most of it is sourced in China. I have been using the vitacost brand that's been grown in the US. It tastes awful lol and nothing can mask it, but whatever.

gadimon

gadimon

Awards
I take spirulina pacifica, from pure Hawaiian.
Seems to check out in terms of cleanliness.
Usually am a fan of NOW but heard they do have cross contamination over their production plants in india.

raiderdude

Awards
this stuff is supposed to be pure and not contaminated:

http://www.nutrex-hawaii.com/hawaiian-spirulina-pacifica

Hawaiian Spirulina Pacifica is manufactured in Hawaii by Nutrex Hawaii one of most trusted producers of Spirulina in the world today. Their products are 100% vegetarian, Kosher Certified, Non-GMO and cultured in a Bio secure environment which is free of herbicides and pesticides.

The Nutrex Hawaii brand is owned by the American company "Cyanotech" which is one of only four Spirulina manufacturers to be giving the GRAS (Generally Recognized as Safe) award by the American Food and Drug Administration.

In this article we will examine why Nutrex Hawaii – Hawaiian Spirulina Pacifica is so highly rated.

Manufacturing Process:

Hawaiian Spirulina is cultured in deep ponds which are fed with 100% fresh water from Hawaiian aquifers and the deep ocean water of the pacific. The water which is channeled through a pipeline that runs 2000 feet below the ocean's surface and contains high concentrations of Calcium, Magnesium and over ninety essential trace elements.

The nutrient rich water once extracted from the ocean is processed using a "Cyanotech" patented technology called Ocean Chill Drying™ a system used for drying microalgae/microalgal products. This patented technology helps to protect phytonutrients and antioxidant enzymes, ensuring that Hawaiian Spirulina retains maximum nutritional potency.

The ponds used to grow the algae are constantly mixed – this is an important aspect of the production process which helps to deliver an even distribution of sunlight throughout the algae ensuring that it does not dry-out or burn as this can lead to an inferior product with greatly reduced nutritional properties.

Safety Standards:
Many of the health risks commonly associated with Spirulina are caused because the algae from which it is made are contaminated. When algae is harvested from non-controlled environments such as lakes and other open bodies of water it's possible that more than one type of algae to be in the yield and some of these may contain contaminants.

The Spirulina made by Nutrex Hawaii is free of herbicides and pesticides and made using cultured algae, which means that only one type of algae is present, this algae undergoes daily examination and inspection to ensure that they are contaminant free.

Nutrex Hawaii is regulated by the FDA for Foods and Dietary Supplements, the State of Hawaii Department of Health, the US Department of Agriculture, and the Federal Trade Commission.

Nutritional Properties:
Nutrex Hawaii goes to great lengths to preserve the nutritional potency of their products, and they claim to have the most nutrient rich Spirulina on the market. To provide you with a break-down of all the properties of Hawaiian Spirulina would go beyond the scope of this article (it would be a very long list) but I will provide you with a list of some of the main properties:

General Composition: – Protein 53 – 62%, Carbohydrates 17 – 25%, Lipids 4 – 6%, Moisture 3 – 6%
Protein: High quality protein up to 60%
Minerals: (Not complete list) – Calcium 14mg, Magnesium 23mg, Iron 30mg, Potassium 56mg, Sodium 42mg, Zinc 81mcg
Phytonutrients: – Beta-Carotene 9mg, Chlorophyll 24 mg, Total Carotenoids 13 mg, Phcocyanin 360 mg, Superoxide Dismutase 2250 units
Vitamins (Not complete list) – A 100% as beta- carotene, B1 Thiamine, B2 Riboflavin, B3 Niacin, B6, B12 Human active
Fatty Acids: (Not Complete List) – Gamma Linolenic 30mg, Alpha Linolenic .0435mg, Palmitic Acid 61 mg, Myristic acid 0,4mg, Erucic 0.72 mg
Essential Amino acids – per gram: (Not Complete List) – Isoleucine 32.6mg, leucine 48.9mg, Lysine 26.2mg, Tryptophan 8.5
Iron also assists the memory and helps build resistance to infection, stress and disease.
Nutritional Benefits:
Hawaiian Spirulina is claimed by the manufactures to provide the below nutritional benefits. These are the same benefits commonly associated with spirulina , however, Nutrex provide an end spirulina product that is of the highest purity and nutritional content.

Strengthens the immune system
Boosts energy levels
Supports cellular health
Supports cardiovascular, eye and brain health of these
The above benefits/statements come with a caveat from Nutrex stating the FDA has not evaluated them. However, in the same breath Nutrex are one of the few Spirulina producers awarded the "GRAS" (Generally Recognized as Safe) award by the FDA.

Regardless of awards and certifications, the proof is in the pudding, or so the say and it is hard to find a bad or negative "real customer" review of Nutrex spirulina powder. Most lovers of spirulina agree that Nutrex provide the best product on the market.

Conclusion:
If you are considering using spirulina as part of your diet then you want to ensure it is of the highest purity and nutritional value and that is exactly what you get with Nutrex Hawaiian, a spirulina product that is pure and highly nutritional.
http://spirulinapowder-review.com/nutrex-hawaiian-spirulina-pacifica/