Forskolin-95 GI distress

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
Anyone else experienced this? This is on Synthetic Supplements' Forskolin-95. I did read other less reputable brands had this side effect. I'm on 100mg daily (x2 morning, x2 pre-workout), only been on it a week, and it's not pleasant[FONT=verdana, arial], proper H[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial]ershey Squirts [/FONT]lol. Should I dial back dosage, or am I just a bad responder to this stuff? Anything else I could take to alleviate this problem?

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
No, you see that was sort of a joke - Depends (as either "it depends" or "wear Depends").

Now that we've dispensed with that - when I have GI issues with a supplement, I usually take it together with sodium bicarbonate and I no longer have fecal emergency.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Try starting with a lower dose and see how you get on.

I have an extremely sensitive stomach and 50mg per day is absolutely fine with me.

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
Would I still see benefits from that lower dose? I heard 75-100mg was optimal for F95.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
50mg falls in line with the original study on males.

100mg was Cyrus's theory and the recent study to back it up.

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
OK, I'll try with that see how I go. Meanwhile, I already have some stomach salts that I can use lol.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I will be buying and using potassium bicarbonate shortly, but I use now sodium bicarb and it seems to offer some help, stomach-wise.

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
Yeah the salts I have contain magnesium sulphate, sodium hydrogen carbonate and citric acid. Have used before for stomach upset and they work well.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Agree with starting with a lower dose and work your way up. You could also try taking it with food and see if that helps.

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
Yeah I've been having it on empty stomach, so that certainly can't have helped!

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
Yeah, I read that was the optimal way to take it... but if it's going to cause me upset, then clearly I'm going to get upset the worst this way.

Piledahlaren

Piledahlaren

Awards
  • Established
ahhh! I was just about to get the 95%.. my stool gets loose 2-3 weeks in with 20% forskolin 50mg.. the worst time is in the morning later in the day not so much!

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Starting at 50 mg should help a lot I have a sensitive stomach and going with a lower dose and working my way up helped me.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
ahhh! I was just about to get the 95%.. my stool gets loose 2-3 weeks in with 20% forskolin 50mg.. the worst time is in the morning later in the day not so much!
The higher % extracts are reported better (not worse) for GI issues.

bdybldnaam

Awards
Starting using 100mg (2x50mg) for 6 weeks without any problems. Took it with my Alphamine/AT2 doses.

Then the last 2 weeks I had pretty bad GI distress on and off .
Spend like 3-4 times a day in the bathroom, but it isn't really consisting.
One day it's fine.. next day - get outta the way.

Anyone else experienced this?

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I spread my doses out throughout the day. I take 2 caps pre-workout and that is the only one I take on an empty stomach. The rest of the caps I take with food. Try taking just one pre workout and see if that helps. Spread the rest out throughout the day several hours apart(1 cap each time)...I started with taking only 1 cap at a time.

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Regardless of the forskolin product that Ive tried (and I havent tried the particular one you mentioned), Ive always gotten this side effect.

Two tips from my experience:

1 wait it out, that side effect seems to pass for me after a week or so

2 eat with a large meal, that has seemed to help me avoid the squirts as well

JD261985

Banned
Awards
Maybe ill just avoid this product but seriously doesn't anabeta elite have this in it? Never had GI issues with ABE so why would this be any different

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Maybe ill just avoid this product but seriously doesn't anabeta elite have this in it? Never had GI issues with ABE so why would this be any different
ABE doesn't have as much in it, that's the reason people have suggested lowering the dosage.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So ABE has 50 mg then?
ABE is in a prop blend, we have no idea of knowing how much is in a serving of ABE. Unless PES has released this amount without me knowing.

My "guess" would be it's lower than 50 mg, (25?) but that is just by looking at the ingredient label and is merely an assumption. I think ABE has a slightly lower amount of Anacylus extract than Anabeta, but with a prop blend getting precise information like you're asking is going to be impossible unless someone from PES gives it out to you.

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm not sure how much it has since it's a prop blend. Some people have guessed 25mg though.
I asked Ben one time...he told me to go to h3ll...which I interpreted as ~50ish mg per standard ABE dosing...nothing to back that up though... :shrug:

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I asked Ben one time...he told me to go to h3ll...which I interpreted as ~50ish mg per standard ABE dosing...nothing to back that up though... :shrug:
This describes ben to the T lol

Touey

Touey

Awards

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
You must really be prone to GI sides OP. Let me put it this way: if we put you on 100mg of 20% forskolin, you'd be hospitalized lol

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Anyone else experienced this? This is on Synthetic Supplements' Forskolin-95. I did read other less reputable brands had this side effect. I'm on 100mg daily (x2 morning, x2 pre-workout), only been on it a week, and it's not pleasant, proper Hershey Squirts lol. Should I dial back dosage, or am I just a bad responder to this stuff? Anything else I could take to alleviate this problem?
I have rank gas when I take foreskolin but I've never been a fire hydrant of Hershey squirts

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
Well I read somewhere that due to the way Forskolin works, it reacts in such a way in the small intestine that means this side effect can be quite common (something to do with membrane permanent cAMP I think), so it's not a negative as much as a normal reaction, and you're lucky if you DON'T get it. Not sure if this is true or not though.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well I read somewhere that due to the way Forskolin works, it reacts in such a way in the small intestine that means this side effect can be quite common (something to do with membrane permanent cAMP I think), so it's not a negative as much as a normal reaction, and you're lucky if you DON'T get it. Not sure if this is true or not though.
GI issues and Forsk have long been common, it isn't really a new supplement that no one has had trouble running. 95% is supposed to be nicer on the GI sides than the lower extract versions, but I have limited experience with taking a bunch of different extract amounts. Like anything else it's very user dependent.

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm nearing 12 weeks @100mg/day...no gi issues that I recall...possible increase in hair shedding though...? Anyone else experience that?

lronFist

Banned
Awards
95% is supposed to be nicer on the GI sides than the lower extract versions,
Completely false. The higher % forskolin, the more likely GI effects will occur.

If a 95% forskolin extract does not cause increased motility/diarrhea, then it is bunk.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Be careful what you squirt for.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Completely false. The higher % forskolin, the more likely GI effects will occur.

If a 95% forskolin extract does not cause increased motility/diarrhea, then it is bunk.
Hey I don't make the supplement nor the claims. As I said it's supposed (as in it's marketed) to be less than other extracts, but I put in my post I had limited experience with forsk and various extracts. I was only posting what is said about it, not my experience. I don't have enough personal experience with other extract percentages to say this is what I've noticed. AS 95% is pretty much all I've personally used.

Do you have evidence for your post?

JD261985

Banned
Awards

From what I have read you are incorrect in this regard

lronFist

Banned
Awards
Do you have evidence for your post?
We know exactly how forskolin produces diarrhea in the GI tract: it binds to adenylyl cyclase and dumps chloride ions into the lumen. The ions draw water producing an ismotic effect in the same way as Cholera.

There is no mystery.

Anyone who claims otherwise is mistaken.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Ironfist is quite right about the MOA by which forskolin can induce diarrhea. Anecdotally speaking, I think most would agree that an equivalent dose of forskolin, ingested as a low % extract vs a high % extract, produces different degrees of GI distress. This would most plausibly be due to other components found within the plant...the root is usually the specific site of extraction:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16468372

For more general info on forskolin's array of effects, here is a nice review:

http://www.altmedrev.com/publications/11/1/47.pdf

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ironfist is quite right about the MOA by which forskolin can induce diarrhea. Anecdotally speaking, I think most would agree that an equivalent dose of forskolin, ingested as a low % extract vs a high % extract, produces different degrees of GI distress. This would most plausibly be due to other components found within the plant...the root is usually the specific site of extraction:

Your post confuses me Coop. This is from the description of F-95.

Other extracts are typically 10-40% pure and bring along many complaints of indigestion and nauseua. We welcome those people to see why 95% pure is the best on the market.
The MOA is correct, but is IF correct when saying the higher extract should increase problems and not decrease them. If so the description of F-95 may need tweaked.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Your post confuses me Coop. This is from the description of F-95.

The MOA is correct, but is IF correct when saying the higher extract should increase problems and not decrease them. If so the description of F-95 may need tweaked.
You're misunderstanding me completely. The higher extract would increase GI issues? Not even Ironfist is saying that...

Forksolin possesses the inherent capability to cause GI issues. The extract % is irrelevant here; the dose is what counts. However, exactly as the writeup says, people generally notice more GI issues with lower % extracts at equivalent forskolin doses. Since the only variation between a high and low % extract is the extra constituents of a lower % extract, the issue likely lies there (do some research on the compounds in the paper I posted).

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You're misunderstanding me completely. The higher extract would increase GI issues? Not even Ironfist is saying that...

Forksolin possesses the inherent capability to cause GI issues. The extract % is irrelevant here; the dose is what counts. However, exactly as the writeup says, people generally notice more GI issues with lower % extracts at equivalent forskolin doses. Since the only variation between a high and low % extract is the extra constituents of a lower % extract, the issue likely lies there (do some research on the compounds in the paper I posted).
Isn't IronFist saying exactly that? He was responding to my original post of the higher extract should see less GI distress.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Isn't IronFist saying exactly that? He was responding to my original post of the higher extract should see less GI distress.
I know what he's trying to say, and that is that more forskolin = more GI issues. It is dose-dependent, not extract %-dependent, and I'm fairly certain he's just saying that a higher extract % will yield a higher dose of forskolin at an equivalent extract dose. In essence, he is saying that if you take equivalent doses of forskolin extracts, the one with the higher % forskolin will elicit more GI issues. Aka 500mg of 95% extract will cause more GI issues than 500mg of 20% extract. These are equivalent extract doses.

I am saying that based on the experiences of most forskolin users, 50mg of forskolin from 95% extract will yield less GI issues than 50mg of forskolin from a 20% extract. These are equivalent forskolin doses. I hope that's clear enough

mw1

mw1

Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Neither theory fits my own exp. ha When I use lower % I tend to have bad cramps the first and sometimes second days(stomach feels like its in knots),however with higher % I just have general diarrhea for several week - not terrible , but consistant loose stools for the run

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

Wow - especially the 2nd review. Thank you.