Supplement Advice for marathon training

dicbent

Awards
For the past couple of years my main focus has been marathon training and will be my focus for the next couple of years. Before that, I only lifted.

I'm inquiring about the best pre and intra workout supplements to allow me to hammer 6 days/week. I run about 60-70miles/week. I'm also looking to drop about 20 lbs and lean out a bit. I'm 5'9" and currently weigh 177 with a fairly bulky and lifter's physique. I'm lifting about 2 days/week. I lift heavy with 4-6 reps with lots of rest in between sets in order to stay in the alactic energy zone to remain strong but not wanting to pack on the muscle and hence the weight.

Currently using Omega Sports Ultima as a pre and Strive as an intra for a non stim workout. I do like supplementing with caffeine, however. I've used many other supplements with stims in them, for example, craze, enhanced, cardio igniter, muscle marinade, compete, and I haven't necessarily had bad workouts on them. I also have a la carte of ALCAR, COP, citrulline malate, beta alanine, Peak Beta, CorBCAA. I've also attempted EC before cardio. I also supplement with the basics (fish oil, multi, whey).

Just trying to get an evidence based take on the most effective combination of pre and intra supplements.

Thanks for the time.

mechka_grizli

mechka_grizli

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Take a serious look into Millenium Sports Cordygen5.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
I'd prolly use ECA, some marathon runners I know use it. They're not super serious marathon runners, but claim it helps

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
yes ECA should help you breath a little better and I would look into potassium nitrates by iForce or powershock by VPX .. both will help with your indurance.
I recommend you sip them as you go from your water bottle... marathoning... wow that's some brutal ish ! good luck on your race!

dicbent

Awards
Thanks, fellas, for the recommendations. I will look into all of these.

What's funny is that I just read about the Craze debacle and I can remember that while taking it, my long ass cardio workouts were phenomenal.

Took some EC this morning before a 10 miler and I felt real good. What does the addition of aspirin help to do besides being a blood thinner?

Any other sage advice?

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, fellas, for the recommendations. I will look into all of these.

What's funny is that I just read about the Craze debacle and I can remember that while taking it, my long ass cardio workouts were phenomenal.

Took some EC this morning before a 10 miler and I felt real good. What does the addition of aspirin help to do besides being a blood thinner?

Any other sage advice?
that's all I've been told it does lol. Aspirin good for the heart anyways, figure can't hurt

bakerwil

Banned
Awards
Creatinol-O-Phosphate)(COP) is really good for endurance (Peak Beta works very well at 6 caps)...

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You may want to check out prototype nutritions TAA capsules once they are back in stock. TAA caps stacked with COP is a great endurance stack.

dicbent

Awards
TAA looks interesting. May do the trick for the endurance athlete. I've only read of a few people using it. Might have to dig a little deeper. It seems a little spendy, but if it works, price is no object. When do you expect it in?

Anybody know of any supplements with large amounts of Sodium Bicarbonate? Otherwise may have to test out the 'ol arm & hammer.

Thanks for all the recommendations thus far.

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
TAA looks interesting. May do the trick for the endurance athlete. I've only read of a few people using it. Might have to dig a little deeper. It seems a little spendy, but if it works, price is no object. When do you expect it in?

Anybody know of any supplements with large amounts of Sodium Bicarbonate? Otherwise may have to test out the 'ol arm & hammer.

Thanks for all the recommendations thus far.
Not sure when it is supposed to be in, let me check on this for you.

flightposite

flightposite

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
For endurance a combo of cordagen and ultraReps is pretty amazing.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Beta alanine. Cop.lclt. nitrates.

Remember to include posassium at doses of 4.5 g daily and match it with a similar sodium content. I would stay away from just bcaa products for running intra. I would use Gatorade and an EAA product. Not saying bcaa dont work but eaa I feel would be better for marathon runners plus they usually contain bcaas too.
L citruline is a great option too. Agmatine too!

Look more ingredient wise.
Good independent products *brand names*

Peakbeta +
Compete by iforce,high volume by athletix,hemavol by iforce,purple wrath by controlled labs,xtend by scivation,eaa product by pni,vpx powershot ect ect

LG Sciences

LG Sciences

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
If you want to try a PH, I would be willing to send you our 17-Proandro. This should be a good PH since it seems to act like winstrol. Worked well for Ben Johnston. ;)

Seriously, it is a very mild side effect (no aggression or hair loss and no liver stress) and should work well for hitting your goals. If you want PM me your address if you are willing to do a log on it.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you want to try a PH, I would be willing to send you our 17-Proandro. This should be a good PH since it seems to act like winstrol. Worked well for Ben Johnston. ;)

Seriously, it is a very mild side effect (no aggression or hair loss and no liver stress) and should work well for hitting your goals. If you want PM me your address if you are willing to do a log on it.
What about blood pressure? Wouldn't a rise in bp be counter productive to his particular goals especally if hes taking caffeine pre workout. Stims plus high bp =no run so good.

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'd avoid Stims in MHO.

DMAA+Marathons is how those marathoners dropped dead. Too much for the heart.

Try All-In from Prescription Nutrition. It's Nonstim and has increased my endurance x10. I couldn't recomend it enough.
http://www.rxwhey.com/all-in-preworkout-primer/

Think the COP plays a big part.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
Hemavol and PLCAR worked great for boosting my endurance. I could run forever on that stuff!

laneanders

laneanders

Awards
KNO3 Hemavol and Compete would all help with your goals.

dkgreene88

dkgreene88

Awards
  • Established
I used Hemavol when I was running the bourbon chase and it helped me push through. I also drank Aminos post run. I wouldnt take a stim preworkout before doing a extended cardio session such as a marathon or half