Adaptogens?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last
  1. Registered User

Adaptogens?

Anyone use these, if so which ones and why & what effective dosage?

Im interested in the ones which have positive effects on performance primarily, but also ones with health benefits to.

2. Registered User

Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera: preferably Sensoril): Stress relief, improved sleep, and performance enhancement. I take 200mg (Abyss UP) or up to 450mg (3 caps Bioforge) when I use it. Haven't used it standalone.

Rhodiola Rosea (standardized to 3% rosavins and 1% salidroside): Stress relief and energy (reduced fatigue). Too much is just as inefficient as too little. I prefer 500mg pre-workout or upon waking (it can be somewhat stimulating).

Bacopa Monnieri (50% Bacopasides): Nootropic and anxiety relief.

Those are the three I use most often. Sure others can throw in more options as well.
    PES Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com
  3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bolt10 View Post
    Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera: preferably Sensoril): Stress relief, improved sleep, and performance enhancement. I take 200mg (Abyss UP) or up to 450mg (3 caps Bioforge) when I use it. Haven't used it standalone.

Rhodiola Rosea (standardized to 3% rosavins and 1% salidroside): Stress relief and energy (reduced fatigue). Too much is just as inefficient as too little. I prefer 500mg pre-workout or upon waking (it can be somewhat stimulating).

Those are the three I use most often. Sure others can throw in more options as well.
    Strong post.

Rhodiola Rosea was one interested in. Trouble is I can't find many products which contain solely that or ones without proprietary blends
    •   

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Alasel View Post
    Strong post.

Rhodiola Rosea was one interested in. Trouble is I can't find many products which contain solely that or ones without proprietary blends
    They're everywhere. Lots of brands of rhodiola at vitamin shoppe, etc. Apparently a lot of people consider the shr-5 extract the best, but I haven't tried it.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

Strong post.

NOW has a standalone RR product and I know T-Nation does as well. The effects seem to be acute so a dose pre workout should suffice.
  6. Registered User

I love Rhodiola Rosea. I notice a big difference when using it. Compete includes it in it's formula in the "mental edge complex"
    iForce Nutrition Representative - iTrain. iCompete. iDominate.
    iForce Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/iForceNutrition
    iForce website: www.iforcenutrition.com
  7. Registered User

Coincidentally, after posting in this thread I just saw Herb Pharm brand rhodiola at walgreens. Just bought it. Will let you guys know if it's worth a crap.
  8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by xhrr View Post

NOW has a standalone RR product and I know T-Nation does as well. The effects seem to be acute so a dose pre workout should suffice.
    Acute?
  9. Registered User

Acute?
    Yes, purportedly, taking RR makes you more attractive.
  10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jcc80 View Post
    Coincidentally, after posting in this thread I just saw Herb Pharm brand rhodiola at walgreens. Just bought it. Will let you guys know if it's worth a crap.
    And to follow up, this one isn't very impressive. I used to like bulk powder rhodiola from some sites
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

Acute?
    as in it works the first time and does not need chronic dosing to be effective
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

I also recommend the aforementioned adaptogens. Currently experimenting with Korean/red ginseng. Really seems to shine on days where I am fatigued.
  13. Registered User

These three are king. The amount of human evidence is overwhelming
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.

Haven't even heard of that last one. Looks like I have some Googling to do. What's your favorite brand? I have ashwaganda on the way now to try to help me stay asleep all night and I am combining with relora as I heard the two are great together pre bed. How expensive is backpack? Thanks for the new info!
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.

Anyone use these, if so which ones and why & what effective dosage?

Im interested in the ones which have positive effects on performance primarily, but also ones with health benefits to.
    Maca has a big following. I have some bulk to try when I get a chance. It's cheap but I haven't tried it so can't say anything from experience. Not sure about performance (depending on what you mean by performance ) but I hear good things about well-being so I got some.
  16. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tyrub42 View Post
    Haven't even heard of that last one. Looks like I have some Googling to do. What's your favorite brand? I have ashwaganda on the way now to try to help me stay asleep all night and I am combining with relora as I heard the two are great together pre bed. How expensive is backpack? Thanks for the new info!
    Alpha-T2 uses a full dose of the proper extract of Bacopa. As for ashwaghanda, make sure it's standardized to a high % of withanolides.
  17. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jcc80 View Post
    They're everywhere. Lots of brands of rhodiola at vitamin shoppe, etc. Apparently a lot of people consider the shr-5 extract the best, but I haven't tried it.
    SHR-5 is just 3% rosavin/1% salidroside. It's not the best, but it is standardized which helps
  18. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by xhrr View Post
    Most of rhodiola's effects are actually chronic. Some are acute, e.g. the performance enhancement secondary to increased pain threshold. Others, like anti-fatigue/pro-mood effects, will take months to manifest.
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post

Alpha-T2 uses a full dose of the proper extract of Bacopa. As for ashwaghanda, make sure it's standardized to a high % of withanolides.
    I got the NOW ashwaganda as it is the only one Nutraplanet had. How is that one?
  20. Registered User

Should have just grabbed Abyss UP. It has Sensoril (Ashwagandha) and Relora.

I used Bacopa several years back, but hadn't used it again until it was put in the updated Alpha T2.
    PES Representative
  21. Enhanced Body Formulations
    Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnTrue View Post
    I love Rhodiola Rosea. I notice a big difference when using it. Compete includes it in it's formula in the "mental edge complex"
    I love rhodiola especially pre workout

On a diff note @VaughnTrue I tried dexaprine with the isopropyl octopamine. Legit 1 cap Saturday. Replacing my oep with it. Should be here Wednesday
    Enhanced Body Formulations Product Educator
    For any questions on our products that need a quick response, please email me directly
    EnhancedBodyFormulations@gmail .com
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.

Should have just grabbed Abyss UP. It has Sensoril (Ashwagandha) and Relora.

I used Bacopa several years back, but hadn't used it again until it was put in the updated Alpha T2.
    Oh man that looks awesome. Plus it has gaba which i really like and 5htp in it (haven't tried 5htp but everyone loves it) and it is discounted to like 19 bucks right now...wish this thread got made last week . I wish this thread got made a week ago, haha.

Any idea how the NOW ashwaganda stacks up? I read somewhere about what the ideal percentage is and I think it's what is in Abyss, but not sure how NOW compares.

Either way I have those and melatonin on the way and a tub of GABA here so hopefully I can get some Zs from those.

Honestly I never thought about Alpha T2. I haven't been too interested in thermos as it is like a freakin rain forest here and I am constantly sweating too much (also diet control is the main thing I have trouble with so even with a thermo I might not see much), but it looks pretty interesting. I like the lack of stims as I never like the idea of loading up on stims for weight loss. Does it affect mood and well-being?

Thanks!
    Tyler
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.

does anyone have any experience with panax ginseng
    *185th U.S. Air Force*
  24. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by cumminslifter View Post
    does anyone have any experience with panax ginseng
    I do - but I am taking it along with a bunch of other things - so, candidly - I cannot attest that it (by itself) does anything specific.
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    I do - but I am taking it along with a bunch of other things - so, candidly - I cannot attest that it (by itself) does anything specific.
    i just read that it is the most popular adaptogen
    *185th U.S. Air Force*
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.

I took it a few years ago it was in my centrum performance vitamin. I can say that it gave me a nice little energy boost but this was before i ever took any supplements.
  27. Registered User

That is one of the reasons it is in my stack.

I can recommend:

Relora
    Bacopa
    5-HTP
    Rhodiola
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    That is one of the reasons it is in my stack.

I can recommend:

Relora
    Bacopa
    5-HTP
    Rhodiola
    never heard of the first 2, will look into them
    *185th U.S. Air Force*
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.

never heard of the first 2, will look into them
    I got some relora on the way now based on user reviews and can't wait to try it. Someone recommended stacking with ashwaganda for a great sleep stack, but I forgot who. I ordered both because of that, though, to keep me down through the night
  30. Registered User

Oh man that looks awesome. Plus it has gaba which i really like and 5htp in it (haven't tried 5htp but everyone loves it) and it is discounted to like 19 bucks right now...wish this thread got made last week . I wish this thread got made a week ago, haha.

Any idea how the NOW ashwaganda stacks up? I read somewhere about what the ideal percentage is and I think it's what is in Abyss, but not sure how NOW compares.

Either way I have those and melatonin on the way and a tub of GABA here so hopefully I can get some Zs from those.

Honestly I never thought about Alpha T2. I haven't been too interested in thermos as it is like a freakin rain forest here and I am constantly sweating too much (also diet control is the main thing I have trouble with so even with a thermo I might not see much), but it looks pretty interesting. I like the lack of stims as I never like the idea of loading up on stims for weight loss. Does it affect mood and well-being?

Thanks!
    Tyler

You have a label for the NOW product you bought (or link)?

Bacopa is definetely one of the premier adaptogens IMO. I do feel it gives me a nice calm and stress relief benefit. Bacopa combined with the SA2-A extract in Alpha T2 does seem to have a mood boosting effect.
    PES Representative
  31. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.

You have a label for the NOW product you bought (or link)?

Bacopa is definetely one of the premier adaptogens IMO. I do feel it gives me a nice calm and stress relief benefit. Bacopa combined with the SA2-A extract in Alpha T2 does seem to have a mood boosting effect.
    Awesome; that might be something to look into in the future (definitely a winter-only supp though ).

I only have the NOW label from the NP website that claims to be 4.5%, but I have heard of people getting bottles that were standardized to 2.5%. Here is the link: http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/n...a-90-caps.html . How does that look?

Thanks!
    Tyler
  32. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

NOW brand Relora, Ashwagandha, and Rhodiola are all great and generally better priced than most other brands. NOW is always legit. There are certainly higher percentage extracts out there, but when I'm curious about an herb I start with NOW.

Relora is great stuff although I don't think it is an adaptogen per se. MOA is supposedly somewhat valium-ish, upregulating GABA with one abstract claiming it boosts DHEA levels. I don't know how it works exactly, I just love it, lol.
  33. Registered User

Awesome; that might be something to look into in the future (definitely a winter-only supp though ).

I only have the NOW label from the NP website that claims to be 4.5%, but I have heard of people getting bottles that were standardized to 2.5%. Here is the link: http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/n...a-90-caps.html . How does that look?

Thanks!
    Tyler
    That is probably fine. After I looked I honestly wasn't sure what standardization percent is even best. I usually just use Sensoril, but I use NOW for other ingredients quite often.
    PES Representative
  34. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bioman View Post
    NOW brand Relora, Ashwagandha, and Rhodiola are all great and generally better priced than most other brands. NOW is always legit. There are certainly higher percentage extracts out there, but when I'm curious about an herb I start with NOW.

Relora is great stuff although I don't think it is an adaptogen per se. MOA is supposedly somewhat valium-ish, upregulating GABA with one abstract claiming it boosts DHEA levels. I don't know how it works exactly, I just love it, lol.
    Really interesting info right there, thanks! So do you feel relora from single doses used when necessary like benzos? Same question for ashwaganda actually? Do either need to be taken daily?
  35. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.

That is probably fine. After I looked I honestly wasn't sure what standardization percent is even best. I usually just use Sensoril, but I use NOW for other ingredients quite often.
    I think sensoril is standardized to 8%, but it is also standardized for 2 different compounds that NOW doesn't list. I figure I laways like NOW brand stuff. Not always the most potent extracts but always consistent and good quality. Thanks man!
  36. Registered User

Yaaa! Well FWIW I would take it daily. I am hitting some pretty big doses right now with Bioforge and Abyss UP combined.
    PES Representative
  37. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

I love Rhodiola, but over the years, I have noticed that there is a big difference in brands and not just the ratios they use. One 500mg 3:1 brand can make me really lazy and another brands 250 can make me bonkers with energy. The brands I have had the best luck with have been Gaia, Eclectic Institute, and Solgar.
  38. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Since I have actual time off this fall, I'll try to bring the sexy back as far as research goes...

http://http://www.altmedrev.com/publications/7/5/421.pdf

http://cms.herbalgram.org/herbalgram...f241bc9c9a5316

And yes, some of those studies kinda suck, but I try to look at the big picture.

In general, smaller doses of RR will increase energy/alertness while larger doses are sedating. What those "doses" are is dependent upon the extract percentages, extract ratios and individual sensitivities. It took me quite a while to pin down what brand and dose to use for my purposes..but bottom line is that RR works and is fairly well researched for an herb.
  39. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.

There is a definite bell curve. When I first started taking it, I assumed more was better because I needed a big boost and I took double the dose and within 45 minutes I fell asleep for 5 hours on the couch. I spent the next 5-6 hours in a lazy stupor. 100-250 at a 3:1 ratio is a sweet spot for me. Good natural energy, great stress response, and general heightened mood.
  40. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by EBF Inc View Post
    I love rhodiola especially pre workout

On a diff note @VaughnTrue I tried dexaprine with the isopropyl octopamine. Legit 1 cap Saturday. Replacing my oep with it. Should be here Wednesday
    that's awesome! glad to hear you're enjoying it it truly is a beast.
    iForce Nutrition Representative - iTrain. iCompete. iDominate.
    iForce Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/iForceNutrition
    iForce website: www.iforcenutrition.com
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. mixing adaptogens, good or bad?
    By comacho in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-30-2008, 10:37 PM
  2. is this a safe mixture of adaptogens
    By andrew732 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-24-2008, 11:49 PM