Adaptogens?

AndroRage

AndroRage

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Anyone use these, if so which ones and why & what effective dosage?

Im interested in the ones which have positive effects on performance primarily, but also ones with health benefits to.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera: preferably Sensoril): Stress relief, improved sleep, and performance enhancement. I take 200mg (Abyss UP) or up to 450mg (3 caps Bioforge) when I use it. Haven't used it standalone.

Rhodiola Rosea (standardized to 3% rosavins and 1% salidroside): Stress relief and energy (reduced fatigue). Too much is just as inefficient as too little. I prefer 500mg pre-workout or upon waking (it can be somewhat stimulating).

Bacopa Monnieri (50% Bacopasides): Nootropic and anxiety relief.

Those are the three I use most often. Sure others can throw in more options as well. :)

AndroRage

AndroRage

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera: preferably Sensoril): Stress relief, improved sleep, and performance enhancement. I take 200mg (Abyss UP) or up to 450mg (3 caps Bioforge) when I use it. Haven't used it standalone.

Rhodiola Rosea (standardized to 3% rosavins and 1% salidroside): Stress relief and energy (reduced fatigue). Too much is just as inefficient as too little. I prefer 500mg pre-workout or upon waking (it can be somewhat stimulating).

Those are the three I use most often. Sure others can throw in more options as well. :)
Strong post.

Rhodiola Rosea was one interested in. Trouble is I can't find many products which contain solely that or ones without proprietary blends

jcc80

jcc80

Awards
Strong post.

Rhodiola Rosea was one interested in. Trouble is I can't find many products which contain solely that or ones without proprietary blends
They're everywhere. Lots of brands of rhodiola at vitamin shoppe, etc. Apparently a lot of people consider the shr-5 extract the best, but I haven't tried it.

xhrr

Awards
Strong post.

NOW has a standalone RR product and I know T-Nation does as well. The effects seem to be acute so a dose pre workout should suffice.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I love Rhodiola Rosea. I notice a big difference when using it. Compete includes it in it's formula in the "mental edge complex"

jcc80

jcc80

Awards
Coincidentally, after posting in this thread I just saw Herb Pharm brand rhodiola at walgreens. Just bought it. Will let you guys know if it's worth a crap.

jcc80

jcc80

Awards
Coincidentally, after posting in this thread I just saw Herb Pharm brand rhodiola at walgreens. Just bought it. Will let you guys know if it's worth a crap.
And to follow up, this one isn't very impressive. I used to like bulk powder rhodiola from some sites

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I also recommend the aforementioned adaptogens. Currently experimenting with Korean/red ginseng. Really seems to shine on days where I am fatigued.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards

These three are king. The amount of human evidence is overwhelming

tyrub42

tyrub42

Awards
  • Established

Haven't even heard of that last one. Looks like I have some Googling to do. What's your favorite brand? I have ashwaganda on the way now to try to help me stay asleep all night and I am combining with relora as I heard the two are great together pre bed. How expensive is backpack? Thanks for the new info!

tyrub42

tyrub42

Awards
  • Established
Anyone use these, if so which ones and why & what effective dosage?

Im interested in the ones which have positive effects on performance primarily, but also ones with health benefits to.
Maca has a big following. I have some bulk to try when I get a chance. It's cheap but I haven't tried it so can't say anything from experience. Not sure about performance (depending on what you mean by performance ;) ) but I hear good things about well-being so I got some.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Haven't even heard of that last one. Looks like I have some Googling to do. What's your favorite brand? I have ashwaganda on the way now to try to help me stay asleep all night and I am combining with relora as I heard the two are great together pre bed. How expensive is backpack? Thanks for the new info!
Alpha-T2 uses a full dose of the proper extract of Bacopa. As for ashwaghanda, make sure it's standardized to a high % of withanolides.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
They're everywhere. Lots of brands of rhodiola at vitamin shoppe, etc. Apparently a lot of people consider the shr-5 extract the best, but I haven't tried it.
SHR-5 is just 3% rosavin/1% salidroside. It's not the best, but it is standardized which helps

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
NOW has a standalone RR product and I know T-Nation does as well. The effects seem to be acute so a dose pre workout should suffice.
Most of rhodiola's effects are actually chronic. Some are acute, e.g. the performance enhancement secondary to increased pain threshold. Others, like anti-fatigue/pro-mood effects, will take months to manifest.

tyrub42

tyrub42

Awards
  • Established
Alpha-T2 uses a full dose of the proper extract of Bacopa. As for ashwaghanda, make sure it's standardized to a high % of withanolides.
I got the NOW ashwaganda as it is the only one Nutraplanet had. How is that one?

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Should have just grabbed Abyss UP. It has Sensoril (Ashwagandha) and Relora. :)

I used Bacopa several years back, but hadn't used it again until it was put in the updated Alpha T2.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I love Rhodiola Rosea. I notice a big difference when using it. Compete includes it in it's formula in the "mental edge complex"
I love rhodiola especially pre workout

On a diff note VaughnTrue I tried dexaprine with the isopropyl octopamine. Legit 1 cap Saturday. Replacing my oep with it. Should be here Wednesday

tyrub42

tyrub42

Awards
  • Established
Should have just grabbed Abyss UP. It has Sensoril (Ashwagandha) and Relora. :)

I used Bacopa several years back, but hadn't used it again until it was put in the updated Alpha T2.
Oh man that looks awesome. Plus it has gaba which i really like and 5htp in it (haven't tried 5htp but everyone loves it) and it is discounted to like 19 bucks right now...wish this thread got made last week ;) . I wish this thread got made a week ago, haha.

Any idea how the NOW ashwaganda stacks up? I read somewhere about what the ideal percentage is and I think it's what is in Abyss, but not sure how NOW compares.

Either way I have those and melatonin on the way and a tub of GABA here so hopefully I can get some Zs from those.

Honestly I never thought about Alpha T2. I haven't been too interested in thermos as it is like a freakin rain forest here and I am constantly sweating too much (also diet control is the main thing I have trouble with so even with a thermo I might not see much), but it looks pretty interesting. I like the lack of stims as I never like the idea of loading up on stims for weight loss. Does it affect mood and well-being?

Thanks!
Tyler

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
does anyone have any experience with panax ginseng

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
I do - but I am taking it along with a bunch of other things - so, candidly - I cannot attest that it (by itself) does anything specific.
i just read that it is the most popular adaptogen

Sprinterguy4

Sprinterguy4

Awards
i just read that it is the most popular adaptogen
I took it a few years ago it was in my centrum performance vitamin. I can say that it gave me a nice little energy boost but this was before i ever took any supplements.

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
That is one of the reasons it is in my stack.

I can recommend:

Relora
Bacopa
5-HTP
Rhodiola
never heard of the first 2, will look into them

tyrub42

tyrub42

Awards
  • Established
never heard of the first 2, will look into them
I got some relora on the way now based on user reviews and can't wait to try it. Someone recommended stacking with ashwaganda for a great sleep stack, but I forgot who. I ordered both because of that, though, to keep me down through the night :)

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh man that looks awesome. Plus it has gaba which i really like and 5htp in it (haven't tried 5htp but everyone loves it) and it is discounted to like 19 bucks right now...wish this thread got made last week ;) . I wish this thread got made a week ago, haha.

Any idea how the NOW ashwaganda stacks up? I read somewhere about what the ideal percentage is and I think it's what is in Abyss, but not sure how NOW compares.

Either way I have those and melatonin on the way and a tub of GABA here so hopefully I can get some Zs from those.

Honestly I never thought about Alpha T2. I haven't been too interested in thermos as it is like a freakin rain forest here and I am constantly sweating too much (also diet control is the main thing I have trouble with so even with a thermo I might not see much), but it looks pretty interesting. I like the lack of stims as I never like the idea of loading up on stims for weight loss. Does it affect mood and well-being?

Thanks!
Tyler

You have a label for the NOW product you bought (or link)?

Bacopa is definetely one of the premier adaptogens IMO. I do feel it gives me a nice calm and stress relief benefit. Bacopa combined with the SA2-A extract in Alpha T2 does seem to have a mood boosting effect. :)

tyrub42

tyrub42

Awards
  • Established
You have a label for the NOW product you bought (or link)?

Bacopa is definetely one of the premier adaptogens IMO. I do feel it gives me a nice calm and stress relief benefit. Bacopa combined with the SA2-A extract in Alpha T2 does seem to have a mood boosting effect. :)
Awesome; that might be something to look into in the future (definitely a winter-only supp though ;) ).

I only have the NOW label from the NP website that claims to be 4.5%, but I have heard of people getting bottles that were standardized to 2.5%. Here is the link: http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/now-foods/ashwagandha-90-caps.html . How does that look?

Thanks!
Tyler

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
NOW brand Relora, Ashwagandha, and Rhodiola are all great and generally better priced than most other brands. NOW is always legit. There are certainly higher percentage extracts out there, but when I'm curious about an herb I start with NOW.

Relora is great stuff although I don't think it is an adaptogen per se. MOA is supposedly somewhat valium-ish, upregulating GABA with one abstract claiming it boosts DHEA levels. I don't know how it works exactly, I just love it, lol.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Awesome; that might be something to look into in the future (definitely a winter-only supp though ;) ).

I only have the NOW label from the NP website that claims to be 4.5%, but I have heard of people getting bottles that were standardized to 2.5%. Here is the link: http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/now-foods/ashwagandha-90-caps.html . How does that look?

Thanks!
Tyler
That is probably fine. After I looked I honestly wasn't sure what standardization percent is even best. I usually just use Sensoril, but I use NOW for other ingredients quite often.

tyrub42

tyrub42

Awards
  • Established
NOW brand Relora, Ashwagandha, and Rhodiola are all great and generally better priced than most other brands. NOW is always legit. There are certainly higher percentage extracts out there, but when I'm curious about an herb I start with NOW.

Relora is great stuff although I don't think it is an adaptogen per se. MOA is supposedly somewhat valium-ish, upregulating GABA with one abstract claiming it boosts DHEA levels. I don't know how it works exactly, I just love it, lol.
Really interesting info right there, thanks! So do you feel relora from single doses used when necessary like benzos? Same question for ashwaganda actually? Do either need to be taken daily?

tyrub42

tyrub42

Awards
  • Established
That is probably fine. After I looked I honestly wasn't sure what standardization percent is even best. I usually just use Sensoril, but I use NOW for other ingredients quite often.
I think sensoril is standardized to 8%, but it is also standardized for 2 different compounds that NOW doesn't list. I figure I laways like NOW brand stuff. Not always the most potent extracts but always consistent and good quality. Thanks man!

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yaaa! Well FWIW I would take it daily. I am hitting some pretty big doses right now with Bioforge and Abyss UP combined. :eek:

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I love Rhodiola, but over the years, I have noticed that there is a big difference in brands and not just the ratios they use. One 500mg 3:1 brand can make me really lazy and another brands 250 can make me bonkers with energy. The brands I have had the best luck with have been Gaia, Eclectic Institute, and Solgar.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Since I have actual time off this fall, I'll try to bring the sexy back as far as research goes...

http://http://www.altmedrev.com/publications/7/5/421.pdf

http://cms.herbalgram.org/herbalgram/issue56/article2333.html?ts=1382378909&signature=4776a636b283bf6f56f241bc9c9a5316

And yes, some of those studies kinda suck, but I try to look at the big picture.

In general, smaller doses of RR will increase energy/alertness while larger doses are sedating. What those "doses" are is dependent upon the extract percentages, extract ratios and individual sensitivities. It took me quite a while to pin down what brand and dose to use for my purposes..but bottom line is that RR works and is fairly well researched for an herb.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There is a definite bell curve. When I first started taking it, I assumed more was better because I needed a big boost and I took double the dose and within 45 minutes I fell asleep for 5 hours on the couch. I spent the next 5-6 hours in a lazy stupor. 100-250 at a 3:1 ratio is a sweet spot for me. Good natural energy, great stress response, and general heightened mood.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I love rhodiola especially pre workout

On a diff note VaughnTrue I tried dexaprine with the isopropyl octopamine. Legit 1 cap Saturday. Replacing my oep with it. Should be here Wednesday
that's awesome! glad to hear you're enjoying it :) it truly is a beast.

domore

Awards
I think the tough thing to handle with adaptogens is that their effects may take a month or two to manifest. And even then, it may be very subtle.

I'm beginning my second month of BaCognize (the patented extract at 250mg three times per day), and I've yet to notice much. I don't feel any acute anxiety relief. I will wait until a later date to assess its affect on working memory.

As for ashwagandha and rhodiola, I have a bottle of Sensoril that I'll be using sooner or later, and Matt will be releasing a product with a rhodiola rosea/rhodiola crenulata blend.

It is along the lines of adaptogens (I guess it would be labeled under TCM), but I prefer magnolia extract/lemon balm extract for anxiolytic effects (Non-TCM or non-adaptogen, I like theanine for this purpose).

xhrr

Awards
Most of rhodiola's effects are actually chronic. Some are acute, e.g. the performance enhancement secondary to increased pain threshold. Others, like anti-fatigue/pro-mood effects, will take months to manifest.
Good stuff. I figured most are after the performance enhancement which is why I recommended a dose pre.

Any particular brand you trust for RR?

AndroRage

AndroRage

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

I have found a product that is 400mg per cap standardized to 3% Rosavins and 4% Salidroside. Is this good?

There's also the NOW Rhodiola?

Or Jarrow Rhodiola (5% rosavins)?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't care for the NOW brand. It is 500mg and they claim 3:1, but it is very ineffective imo.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How is this determined? I don't find it to be true based on my own use and anyone I know that takes it. The fatigue and mood benefits are the first noticeable to most people in a matter of days.

tyrub42

tyrub42

Awards
  • Established
Nobody for Cordyceps?
I have heard nothing but good things about cordyceps but I didn't think they were considered an adaptogen. I do have a bottle of bulk powder that I am hoping is good quality as I hear the quality of the extract is very important with cordyceps. Cordygen gets nothing but great reviews and is cheap. I mostly hear that it's effects are related to endurance, so I am not sure how much of a boost they would give you in your day-to-day life (although I should have a good idea within the next few months).

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Good stuff. I figured most are after the performance enhancement which is why I recommended a dose pre.

Any particular brand you trust for RR?
I use smartpowders bulk powder. Tastes awful but lasts forever :D

How is this determined? I don't find it to be true based on my own use and anyone I know that takes it. The fatigue and mood benefits are the first noticeable to most people in a matter of days.
Determined based on scientific evidence. Especially with bacopa and rhodiola. Ashwaghanda produces more acute effects.

Grayson

Grayson

Awards
  • Established
I know I might get flamed for this, but no one has mentioned Ecdy or Turk.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 24
Supplements 31
Supplements 6
Nootropics 12
halljo Supplements 12