what is happenning with Thermolife?

amarula

Awards
They used to have good products, altough some were a bit controversial, strong presence on the forums and some experient reps, but they seem to out of business...

BigSmith

Awards
  • Established
No they are working on big things. Expect awesomeness soon.

I've been privileged to a little peek behind the curtains and it is impressive to say the least.

Afi140

Afi140

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
No they are working on big things. Expect awesomeness soon. I've been privileged to a little peek behind the curtains and it is impressive to say the least.
A pre?

Afi140

Afi140

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
They run the patent business now Hide yo kids
Lol. They do that for sure. They patent everything. At least they have QA though. It's worth a little extra price to know you're not ingesting eth or some other illicit compound.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
RK makes more from his patents than he ever did from his supplements.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
They used to have good products, altough some were a bit controversial, strong presence on the forums and some experient reps, but they seem to out of business...
They contacted me a while back to rep for them and I wanted to get more information about them...well the rep who contacted me could never get a hold of the main rep or owner... haven't heard from them since lol

Afi140

Afi140

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
They contacted me a while back to rep for them and I wanted to get more information about them...well the rep who contacted me could never get a hold of the main rep or owner... haven't heard from them since lol
thermolife forums. Ron Kramer is on there all the time if you want more info. Good company and when available they make amazing products

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
thermolife forums. Ron Kramer is on there all the time if you want more info. Good company and when available they make amazing products
i dont need any info on them lol i was just stating my experience with them.

Afi140

Afi140

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
i dont need any info on them lol i was just stating my experience with them.
Fo sho. We got the same favorite book :) lol

Grayson

Grayson

Awards
  • Established
You can still buy their products off their main page, but from the forums it seems they're cracking down on nitrate patent infringements.

jamesm11

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You can still buy their products off their main page, but from the forums it seems they're cracking down on nitrate patent infringements.
Patent #? And I'm surprised they could get a patent for nitrates, would like to see the claims.

Also I'm sure these companies make money but patent enforcement is a lot costlier than you think. It's about $10-15k just to file for one, which may be rejected.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Patent #? And I'm surprised they could get a patent for nitrates, would like to see the claims.

Also I'm sure these companies make money but patent enforcement is a lot costlier than you think. It's about $10-15k just to file for one, which may be rejected.
They have a patent for nitrates but i'm unsure of the exact details. But RK is in the business of enforcing his patents.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
RK makes more from his patents than he ever did from his supplements.
They have a patent for nitrates but i'm unsure of the exact details. But RK is in the business of enforcing his patents.
Innovation at its finest. Who needs to come out with new products when you can monopolize ingredients?! Who cares if the consumer gets effed in the long run as long as they get their cash :)

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Google it he's got it

tony soprano

Awards
Innovation at its finest. Who needs to come out with new products when you can monopolize ingredients?! Who cares if the consumer gets effed in the long run as long as they get their cash :)
Who needs innovation when you can just copy someone else's R&D? How dare someone actually seek enforcement on a patented compound.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Who needs innovation when you can just copy someone else's R&D? How dare someone actually seek enforcement on a patented compound.
Thermolife rep? Or RK?

tony soprano

Awards
Thermolife rep? Or RK?
No, just someone that was awake in business school when the relationship between property rights and capitalism was discussed.

And you? Rep for a company that can't be bothered with an R&D budget?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
No, just someone that was awake in business school when the relationship between property rights and capitalism was discussed.

And you? Rep for a company that can't be bothered with an R&D budget?
Wasn't judging TL or RK. Simply stating facts.

megadeth

megadeth

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How are nitrates, DAA, "innovative"?? They were both on the market LONG before they ever go their hands on them.

tony soprano

Awards
Wasn't judging TL or RK. Simply stating facts.
I'm not sure how asking me if I'm a Thermolife rep or RK is "simply stating facts." My post history is brief enough to determine I've never previously mentioned Thermolife or any supplement they sell.

megadeth

megadeth

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Has anyone seen this? At least this helps the consumer a bit!

http://www.iptoday.com/news-article.asp?id=8426&type=ip
Cantor Colburn LLP Wins Summary Judgment for a Host of Nutritional Supplement Defendants

Monday, October 14, 2013

Plaintiff has filed more than 100 patent infringements suits in past year

A federal judge in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California invalidated a nutritional supplement patent held by Plaintiff Thermolife International LLC and granted summary judgment to a host of Defendants. Thermolife has filed more than 100 patent infringement suits concerning such supplements in various jurisdictions since 2012. Cantor Colburn partner Jeffery B. Arnold, who specializes in pharmaceutical and nutritional supplement litigation and intellectual property protection, coordinateda joint defense effort among several of the defendants, resulting in a cost-effective defense for the respective clients. Cantor Colburn Partner and Litigation Practice Co-Chair William J. Cass argued the case on behalf of the defendants in the proceeding.

“Our goal was to expedite a motion schedule without protracted discovery,” said Arnold, “which we were able to accomplish."

U.S. District Judge Gary A. Feess found U.S. Patent Number 8,202,908 invalid and granted summary judgment to a host of Defendants, including Bio-Engineered Supplements and Nutrition Inc.; Bronson Laboratories Inc.; Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals Inc.; Infinite Labs LLC; Lecheek LLC; Maximum Human Performance LLC; Muscle Warfare Inc.; Nutrex Research Inc; Pharmafreak Holdings Inc.; Purus Labs Inc.; Reaction Nutrition LLC; SNI LLC; Lone Star Distribution, Inc.; All Star Health; Redefine Nutrition LLC; S A N Nutrition Group; GNC Corporation; General Nutrition Centers Inc.; General Nutrition Corporation; Kilosports Inc.; DNA Sports Nutrition; Nutrition Zone Worldwide Inc.; and Nutraplanet.

Judge Feess' ruling ends 12 months of litigation between the parties. Thermolife sued several of the defendants in October, 2012, but the case was dismissed without prejudice for violation of the American Invents Act (AIA). Thereafter, Thermolife filed several individual actions, which were subsequently consolidated for discovery by Judge Feess. Thermolife claimed defendants’ respective products containing D-aspartic acid violated the two method claims of the ‘908 patent, entitled “D-aspartic Acid Supplement.” The claims of the ‘908 patent are directed to a method of increasing male testosterone, growth hormone and/or insulin-like growth factor by orally ingesting a D-aspartic acid compound.

Defendants filed for summary judgment in July, arguing that the ‘908 patent was anticipated by an Italian patent application made publically available one year and two weeks before the earliest priority date. Thermolife asserted that the publication was not “published” nor publically available until after the one-year priority date. Judge Feess agreed with defendants and declared the ‘908 as anticipated by the reference.

Lecheek LLC; Maximum Human Performance LLC; Purus Labs Inc; Reaction Nutrition LLC; Lone Star Distribution; All Star Health; Redefine Nutrition LLC; and Nutraplanet are represented by Cantor Colburn LLP.

“This was a team effort by the defendants and their counsel to stand up to a vexatious litigant,” said Cass.

The case is ThermoLife International LLC v. Better Body Sports LLC et al., case 2:12-cv-09229-GAF-FFM, in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California.

About Cantor Colburn LLP

Cantor Colburn is one of the largest, full-service intellectual property law firms in the country, with growing offices in Hartford, Washington, D.C., Atlanta, Houston, and Detroit. The attorneys in Cantor Colburn’s litigation practice have extensive and diverse experience in intellectual property, commercial, and business litigation cases. In recent rankings, Cantor Colburn was ranked 7th in the country for issued U.S. Patents and 24th for registered U.S. Trademarks. As well, the firm has extensive practice in other intellectual property areas, such as validity and infringement opinions, reexaminations, interferences, licensing, due diligence regarding acquisitions and divestitures, and technology transfer agreements. The firm’s clients are among the leading companies in the United States and around the world, including Fortune 100 companies, privately-held companies, select high tech start-ups, and universities. For more information, go to www.cantorcolburn.com.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
^^^^
Making supplements
Ain't nobody got time for dat
-RK

jamesm11

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How are nitrates, DAA, "innovative"?? They were both on the market LONG before they ever go their hands on them.
He must've acquired the right to the patents from another company, which is looks like from the patents I checked out. He also filed for reexamination of the nitrates one on Aug 23, likely to add even more claims. "Innovative" isn't nearly the strict requirement you'd think it is Also he must have a ton of money to continually enforce these patents. IP is huge $, big wins and losses

My guess is that he settles out of court by threatening smaller supp companies. Very few can withstand litigation prices

megadeth

megadeth

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
He must've acquired the right to the patents from another company, which is looks like from the patents I checked out. He also filed for reexamination of the nitrates one on Aug 23, likely to add even more claims. "Innovative" isn't nearly the strict requirement you'd think it is Also he must have a ton of money to continually enforce these patents. IP is huge $, big wins and losses

My guess is that he settles out of court by threatening smaller supp companies. Very few can withstand litigation prices
Yeah, I know he acquired the rights for DAA from Patrick Arnold. I was just making the point that true "innovation" on RK's part seems to have had nothing to do with it.

mw1

mw1

Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Actually he treats all the same. He has been more than fair with SNS in regards to his patented ingrds.

mw1

mw1

Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't know of any sup company that used nitrates before his patent. I believe XF, who licensed who TL, was the first to use nitrates in Ice +

Grayson

Grayson

Awards
  • Established
Actually he treats all the same. He has been more than fair with SNS in regards to his patented ingrds.
What has he gone after you guys for?I also heard he's going after PES for their leucine nitrate found in Enhanced.

megadeth

megadeth

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't know of any sup company that used nitrates before his patent. I believe XF, who licensed who TL, was the first to use nitrates in Ice +
What about Potassium Nitrate?

lronFist

Banned
Awards
What about Potassium Nitrate?
Ron's patent is mainly oriented towards amino acids nitrate salts, which are indubitably novel & innovative (creatine nitrate).

Potassium nitrate is an atomic nitrate salt, and was not used for the purposes covered by the patent, nor was it on the supplement market until recently.

lronFist

Banned
Awards
Ron has tested creatine nitrate that various companies have sourced from China, and none of them contained creatine nitrate.

I would think buying bunk product would be more concerning to the consumer versus paying more to guarantee higher quality.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
APS

megadeth

megadeth

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ron has tested creatine nitrate that various companies have sourced from China, and none of them contained creatine nitrate.

I would think buying bunk product would be more concerning to the consumer versus paying more to guarantee higher quality.

So your saying that the companies buying from China couldn't/wouldn't decide to test for themselves and to make sure their product is legit? In your scenario there is only 2 possible outcomes. Buy bunk Chinese or buy from RK.

1. So your inferring that not one Chinese source is legit
2. If brought to enough manufacturers attention, they would not improve the quality of their product.

While the first might be possible, I don't think the second is. If the bottom fell out of creatine nitrate sales because of quality, I am sure the problem would get fixed.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
RK has literally done nothing wrong. When apple or samsung develop technology, they patent it to protect it. Its the same for every big company out there.

Its jus that at the moment, people are using their patented products without consent, hence why TL is enforcing those ATM

lronFist

Banned
Awards
So your saying that the companies buying from China couldn't/wouldn't decide to test for themselves and to make sure their product is legit? In your scenario there is only 2 possible outcomes. Buy bunk Chinese or buy from RK.

1. So your inferring that not one Chinese source is legit
2. If brought to enough manufacturers attention, they would not improve the quality of their product.

While the first might be possible, I don't think the second is. If the bottom fell out of creatine nitrate sales because of quality, I am sure the problem would get fixed.
You've been around since 2002, I think you know that the vast majority of companies don't test anything.

lronFist

Banned
Awards
RK has literally done nothing wrong. When apple or samsung develop technology, they patent it to protect it. Its the same for every big company out there.

Its jus that at the moment, people are using their patented products without consent, hence why TL is enforcing those ATM
Exactly.

The ability to patent a novel/innovative or new idea/ingredient is what drives drug/supplement developement.

If you remove the patent, you remove the incentive, and we would be stuck with arginine, HMB, and CEE.

megadeth

megadeth

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You've been around since 2002, I think you know that the vast majority of companies don't test anything.
I didn't know that is still the case. If it is, that certainly is a shame.

lronFist

Banned
Awards
I didn't know that is still the case. If it is, that certainly is ashamed.
It is cheaper to purchase these patented ingredients legitimately then to source then from China and then perform an independent analysis.

The type of person to disregard a patent for monetary gain will be the first to forgo lab tests for authenticity.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
It is cheaper to purchase these patented ingredients legitimately then to source then from China and then perform an independent analysis.

The type of person to disregard a patent for monetary gain will be the first to forgo lab tests for authenticity.
Well said.

jamesm11

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
RK has literally done nothing wrong. When apple or samsung develop technology, they patent it to protect it. Its the same for every big company out there. Its jus that at the moment, people are using their patented products without consent, hence why TL is enforcing those ATM
Probably don't want to throw apple in there. They have had a lot of success stealing ideas and filing before another company. They have little to no innovation, just fantastic marketing. They abuse the **** out of the US patent system which is highly flawed compared to other international patents. It's also why they lost in most foreign countries.

Patents are a touchy subject because there's a lot of ways to manipulate and get greedy. But...writing them pays the bills, very well

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Probably don't want to throw apple in there. They have had a lot of success stealing ideas and filing before another company. They have little to no innovation, just fantastic marketing. They abuse the **** out of the US patent system which is highly flawed compared to other international patents. It's also why they lost in most foreign countries.

Patents are a touchy subject because there's a lot of ways to manipulate and get greedy. But...writing them pays the bills, very well
Are you talking about apple or thermolife? lol

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

jamesm11

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Are you talking about apple or thermolife? lol
Apple lol. At least it appears RK pays for the licenses or IP before he enforces it. I'm a patent attorney so I have mixed feelings on this stuff. Overall I'm not a fan though, I prefer the inventors to keep and enforce their patents because they put the work in

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

lol...isn't the reason for the patent monetary gain...i thought monetary gain was the name of the game!!!

it sounds to me like this bk guy is trying to buy up patents on everything he can so that in order to do business in the supp industry you have to go thru him....

isn't this what rockefeller tried to do with standard oil??? it's called a monopoly,when a certain person or enterprise is the only supplier of a particular commodity-look it up!!!

lronFist

Banned
Awards
lol...isn't the reason for the patent monetary gain...i thought monetary gain was the name of the game!!!

it sounds to me like this bk guy is trying to buy up patents on everything he can so that in order to do business in the supp industry you have to go thru him....

isn't this what rockefeller tried to do with standard oil??? it's called a monopoly,when a certain person or enterprise is the only supplier of a particular commodity-look it up!!!
That's not what is happening. Maybe you should investigate the patents he has before criticizing them?

The only patent he "bought up" was the DAA patent from Patrick Arnold, who is his friend.

He patented amino acid nitrates de novo (and even before the popular beetroot juice studies).

He has every right to enforce those patents.

Reactions: ax1