Curious about your results :)

BigBlackGuy

BigBlackGuy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Anyone use it for fat loss and how?
Curious about your results :)
Interesting no one has replied to this. Coconut oil is decent for weight loss, but it's subtle. I use it to cook all my food and I used to eat it by the spoonful randomly for some extra energy.

Now I do MCT oil (NOW brand) first thing in the morning mixed with some organic butter and coffee. Crazy energy from this, btw.

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
Interesting no one has replied to this. Coconut oil is decent for weight loss, but it's subtle. I use it to cook all my food and I used to eat it by the spoonful randomly for some extra energy.

Now I do MCT oil (NOW brand) first thing in the morning mixed with some organic butter and coffee. Crazy energy from this, btw.
I was expecting more action in this thread also..?
Have you used it pre workout? Is a better way to use it for fat loss or just overall health benefits? I'm already doing high protein&fat low carb diet and debating if it would help to add coconut oil? Fat loss is the goal :)

BigBlackGuy

BigBlackGuy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was expecting more action in this thread also..?
Have you used it pre workout? Is a better way to use it for fat loss or just overall health benefits? I'm already doing high protein&fat low carb diet and debating if it would help to add coconut oil? Fat loss is the goal :)
Coconout oil is probably better for overall health. It's anti-microbial, anti-viral, contains MCTs which are great for cognition... but it's also going to boost energy and metabolism.

I see no reason not to take it, but specifically for fat loss you're probably better off with MCT Oil just because it doesn't have any extra non-MCT calories.

JD261985

Banned
Awards

That's exactly what I use. NOW foods MCT OIL. Super cheap and you get large nice bottles. Has a nice thermogenic effect. Gave me a little digestive discomfort but not too bad. I do like coconut oil though because of the health benefits it offers like cholesterol health etc, which is something pure MCT oil does not have

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
MCTs yield 7 calories per gram instead of the usual 9 calories from regular fats. you can likely work up a tolerance to MCTs in your belly so as to avoid the stomach distress. I like to use ample amounts of Coconut oil, mint infused fish oils, and MCTs during low carb dieting.

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
+1 for MCT oil. Great stuff and very good for energy. I always cook with coconut oil also.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
havent used MTC oil, but I do use Coconut oil A LOT. A high amount of fats with in reason will yield fat loss depending on how you structure your diet, in which case when I am getting ready for a contest that is what I do. Are you looking in particular for a diet plan that I used that involved them? Because in short I would use a CKD plan, and I use various other oils: Udos, Olive, Macadamia, mint fish oil ect.. just to get a variety and not get sick of coconut oil

kaikara

kaikara

Awards
  • Established
I use coconut oil to cook my eggs in every morning. Not specifically for fat loss now, but I started doing it when on the keto diet. Good ol MCT energy to power my morning.

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Anyone use MCT intra? I recently picked up some 360cut BCAA Sport, which has 2.5g mct in it...pretty smooth blue raz taste..

laneanders

laneanders

Awards
Some good information in here, I was unaware on the additional benefits of coconut oil. I typically just stick with peppermint fish oil and olive oil. I will remedy this.

tx_bencher

Awards

Besides cooking with it there are coconut capsules available (same as fish oil caps!) that can be swallowed throughout the day with meals. I believe this is a great health benefit AND it's convenient!

BigBlackGuy

BigBlackGuy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Anyone use MCT intra? I recently picked up some 360cut BCAA Sport, which has 2.5g mct in it...pretty smooth blue raz taste..
I use it before my workouts. I'll drink coffee + MCT (a solid 2 tablespoons) + butter from grassfed/organic source...

Then I workout on just that with no other foods...

Energy is amazing and I much prefer working out like that than with any food in my stomach.

Besides cooking with it there are coconut capsules available (same as fish oil caps!) that can be swallowed throughout the day with meals. I believe this is a great health benefit AND it's convenient!
I also want you guys to know that RXwhey dot com has MCT powder. It does have maltodextrin in it in order to maintain the powder form, but it's super convenient to add to ANY drink. I hate downing capsules all day.

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I use it before my workouts. I'll drink coffee + MCT (a solid 2 tablespoons) + butter from grassfed/organic source...

Then I workout on just that with no other foods...

Energy is amazing and I much prefer working out like that than with any food in my stomach.
2 tbs, would that be 28g of Mct's still?
Interesting, I work out first thing in the morning, fasted, except for a preWO and ~10g bcaa...just started using this Bcaa sport today, will monitor how it works for me...

Cordeen

Awards
  • Established
There's feedback indicating it's good at supporting testosterone levels too...particularly when taken at bedtime.

MyKH3LL

MyKH3LL

Awards

Bulletproof diet?

The Bulletproof coffee is seriously the best thing in the world haha. I don't know what I would do without it! :D

MyKH3LL

MyKH3LL

Awards
I'd just like to add to the thread here and I second everything BigBlackGuy is saying but TRUST ME when I say (and I'm sure he can verify) you need to work up to this level of MCT if you're not use to it otherwise you'll be wishing your toilet has handlebars!

The last thing you want is a severe case of MCT squirts.

BigBlackGuy

BigBlackGuy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
2 tbs, would that be 28g of Mct's still?
Interesting, I work out first thing in the morning, fasted, except for a preWO and ~10g bcaa...just started using this Bcaa sport today, will monitor how it works for me...
I'm always up in the air about taking fast-digesting aminos while "fasted". How much of it is being turned into glucose? If your body needs carbs I really think taking fast digesting protein/aminos is mostly being turned to carbs... just my opinion I don't have much to back it up.

I'd just like to add to the thread here and I second everything BigBlackGuy is saying but TRUST ME when I say (and I'm sure he can verify) you need to work up to this level of MCT if you're not use to it otherwise you'll be wishing your toilet has handlebars!

Absolutely 100% correct. I can only stomach MCT if I use it with something else, ie, coffee/butter OR tuna.

dkgreene88

dkgreene88

Awards
  • Established
I just bought a jar of coconut oil at Trader Joes to try. I have been using a mint infused fish oil. This will be a good add

veaderko

veaderko

Awards

Would that be the case because people are not use to this amount of oil in their diet? Or just because of the MCT oil itself? I use 3 tbsp of udo's a day along with 2-3 coconut a day and some other stuff so that is why I am asking.

JD261985

Banned
Awards
Well I do notice that when I take the oil straight it makes my throat very mucousy which when swallowed can make some people nauseaus, etc

BigBlackGuy

BigBlackGuy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Would that be the case because people are not use to this amount of oil in their diet? Or just because of the MCT oil itself? I use 3 tbsp of udo's a day along with 2-3 coconut a day and some other stuff so that is why I am asking.
I've drank a lot of different oils straight, including: Olive Oil, Wheat Germ Oil, Coconut Oil and Fish oil. None of them ever gave me problems except for MCT oil.

MyKH3LL

MyKH3LL

Awards
I believe, don't quote me on this though, that it is because people are not use to or capable of properly absorbing this much fat straight away.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
its the MCT itself.

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
I never knew of this issue with MCT, but never had a problem with it all the same. Must be lucky I guess.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So if on a high carb/protein and low-moderate fat diet, should one avoid Coconut oil?

I used to use it to cook and make protein pancakes / shakes when I was keto... But I've switched to a high carb diet with moderate fat (consumed away from carbs) and have recomped quite nicely on it... I do miss my coco oil and PB shakes tho!

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
So if on a high carb/protein and low-moderate fat diet, should one avoid Coconut oil?

I used to use it to cook and make protein pancakes / shakes when I was keto... But I've switched to a high carb diet with moderate fat (consumed away from carbs) and have recomped quite nicely on it... I do miss my coco oil and PB shakes tho!
Depends what you mean by moderate, but I'd still say there was room for coconut oil. Fat intake seems to be a personal thing though. Personally, if I drop below 50g/day, I notice a detrimental effect in my focus and libido. Coconut oil is essential for me... have it every day, in varying quantities.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Depends what you mean by moderate, but I'd still say there was room for coconut oil. Fat intake seems to be a personal thing though. Personally, if I drop below 50g/day, I notice a detrimental effect in my focus and libido. Coconut oil is essential for me... have it every day, in varying quantities.
Yea I'm on erase too so my libido is hurtin despite using daa and maca+trib+fenugreek.

My fat is about 30-50 daily usually on the lower end tho

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
my libido is hurtin.

boldened latter is likely the cause of the former
fat intake is too low..this is not the 70s bro, that idea of low-fat went out long time ago

generally speaking, sure when carbs are high we want to keep fats in check (and vice versa if we care anything about body composition) -- but, that is a relative terminology, and nothing finite like 30g (which as I already said is wayyy too low)

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
boldened latter is likely the cause of the former
fat intake is too low..this is not the 70s bro, that idea of low-fat went out long time ago

generally speaking, sure when carbs are high we want to keep fats in check (and vice versa if we care anything about body composition) -- but, that is a relative terminology, and nothing finite like 30g (which as I already said is wayyy too low)
I understand that for sure. Recomping has been great, although I know low fat causes much more issues than just libido. It's been about 3 months, I'm making changes now.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's harder for MCT's to convert to fatty acid forms that can be reabsorbed and stored as body fat. The great thing about MCT is how they get metabolized quickly and into ketones. So if you use MCT rich fats/oils such as coconut oil in place of things like butter or cooking needs, there could be some benefits there.

At the end of the day though, if you are eating excessive calories that fatten you up, it's your caloric intake which you should be concerned about TBH.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i've been using coconut oil for awhile now....i put it in my morning coffee, used to put it in my protein shake, i've also cooked with it and didn't 'mind it, but other ppl swear they taste coconuts when i used it for cooking

it just sucks because my ex gf's aunt runs a health store and got me a gallon of organic coconut oil for $1, i'm running low, have to find where i can get a gallon of it again

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Yea I'm on erase too so my libido is hurtin despite using daa and maca+trib+fenugreek.

You do realise that fats play one of the greatest roles in the body? Why o why would you deprive yourself of them?

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i've been using coconut oil for awhile now....i put it in my morning coffee, used to put it in my protein shake, i've also cooked with it and didn't 'mind it, but other ppl swear they taste coconuts when i used it for cooking it just sucks because my ex gf's aunt runs a health store and got me a gallon of organic coconut oil for $1, i'm running low, have to find where i can get a gallon of it again
Absolutely love some coconut oil in my oatmeal. Generally, you should aim for ~.45g per lb. of BW as the minimum for your fat intake.

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
I start off almost every morning with coconut oil in my oatmeal or shake, I never had it in coffee but I had it in my tea... :)

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Anybody eat much of the banana chips you can find in many stores? Usually consists of bananas, coconut oil and sugar.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Anybody eat much of the banana chips you can find in many stores? Usually consists of bananas, coconut oil and sugar.
Ate so much of them I got tired of them :( lol

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I get the dried green beans. They are surprisingly tasty just expensive.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I get the dried green beans. They are surprisingly tasty just expensive.
Dried green beans are delicious. Have you tried the dried okra? The peas are my least favorite lol

tyrub42

tyrub42

Awards
  • Established
i've been using coconut oil for awhile now....i put it in my morning coffee, used to put it in my protein shake, i've also cooked with it and didn't 'mind it, but other ppl swear they taste coconuts when i used it for cooking

it just sucks because my ex gf's aunt runs a health store and got me a gallon of organic coconut oil for $1, i'm running low, have to find where i can get a gallon of it again
Costco has giant tubs of it cheap here, so they must have them in the US, too. Nutiva brand, organic, etc etc...good stuff!

uubiduu

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I start off almost every morning with coconut oil in my oatmeal or shake, I never had it in coffee but I had it in my tea... :)
How do you do this?Coconut oil is stored in my fridge and even at room temperature it is solid

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
it melts easily, then just use a blender to make it mix well.

jcc80

jcc80

Awards
Just blend a little longer. There may be small chunks but it doesn't matter. Throw some in your coffee too

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Costco has giant tubs of it cheap here, so they must have them in the US, too. Nutiva brand, organic, etc etc...good stuff!
costco doesn't exist where i'm from....i have to talk my mother into taking me to sam's club and see if they have anything since she's the only one with a membership

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This^^^^. I get the Carrington Farms brand. I'm going to try it on a sweet potato later instead of butter :)

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
This^^^^. I get the Carrington Farms brand. I'm going to try it on a sweet potato later instead of butter :)
nothing wrong with butter, and butter is (proportionately speaking) a better fat for boosting test

not saying this applies to you specifically, but:
if you are avoiding butter simply due to what you "hear" in the media, you have taken a turn down the wrong path indeed

and let me also state the obvious:
just because coconut butter has unique properties (ie mct formation), this does NOT mean one can consume this fat with reckless abandon....a fat is still a fat, in the grand scheme of things

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
nothing wrong with butter, and butter is (proportionately speaking) a better fat for boosting test not saying this applies to you specifically, but: if you are avoiding butter simply due to what you "hear" in the media, you have taken a turn down the wrong path indeed and let me also state the obvious: just because coconut butter has unique properties (ie mct formation), this does NOT mean one can consume this fat with reckless abandon....a fat is still a fat, in the grand scheme of things
I'm not avoiding butter, just trying something new :)

McBurly

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm a little confused here, So is coconut oil more rapidly absorbed than other fats? Would this possibly facilitate faster absorption of other fat soluble nutrients vs the use of other oils? Or is it just a matter of the energy from the mct's is produced faster?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 3
Supplements 9
Supplements 31
DemntedCowboy Nutrition / Health 1
Leggo my Ego Weight Loss 5