Advice for size? 170-175lbs now

clayton2016

clayton2016

Awards
Right now I weigh 170-175...I'm about 5'11. Looking to put on size and strength.

Any advice for weights/(reps)/supps? Thanks.

clayton2016

clayton2016

Awards
I am trying. Lol... Stick to low reps/heavy weights for size right? And thoughts on creatine?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/12/531-2nd-edition-ebook-now-for-sale/

Buy this. Best twenty bucks you'll ever spend.

I vary reps. My Squat/Bench/Deads normally stays less than 5 reps but my assistance work varies between 5-20 reps.

Creatine is good. Some people say they are non responders. I wouldn't consider it to aid directly in weight gain. It's more so an ergogenic aid. Buy some bulk creatine monohydrate. Cheap and effective

1g of protein per pound of body weight
.5-1g/lb for fat
The rest...carbs

Find an online calculator for TDEE. Add 500 cals on top of that. Eat eat eat.

If you think you're eating enough, you're probably not

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

I vary reps. My Squat/Bench/Deads normally stays less than 5 reps but my assistance work varies between 5-20 reps.

Creatine is good. Some people say they are non responders. I wouldn't consider it to aid directly I'm weight gain. It's more so an ergogenic aid. Buy some bulk creatine monohydrate. Cheap and effective

.5-.1g/lb for fat
The rest...carbs

This about sums it up. Depending on your goals,dont neglect certain rep ranges and train the whole spectrum.

I like starting my workout with 2-5 reps (i.e. On core movements) then for assistance using from 7-15. Different rep targets each week.

But even better would be to jump on a proven program

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Creatine is good. Some people say they are non responders. I wouldn't consider it to aid directly I'm weight gain. It's more so an ergogenic aid. Buy some bulk creatine monohydrate. Cheap and effective

.5-.1g/lb for fat
The rest...carbs

I like when this guy ventures up into the supp section... :D

Solid advice. If you aren't taking creatine that is where I would start.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sean surely hit the nail on the head with all points here.

Especially the one about if you think you are eating enough you probably are not lol.

I take all but two of my meals to work and the guys I work with are shocked how much food I eat. They are even more shocked when I tell them it's only 2700 calories and I'm cutting. :p

Quatie

Quatie

Awards
Right now I weigh 170-175...I'm about 5'11. Looking to put on size and strength.

Any advice for weights/(reps)/supps? Thanks.
If you have no experience with strength training then start with stronglifts 5x5 to get your strength up first. You can't do 531 with low numbers. Also don't over do it with the food, do many cals will lead to weight gain.

laneanders

laneanders

Awards
Already a ton of good advice.

Best way to bulk is to increase caloric intake. Supplements will only take you so far, whereas good old solid food will take you all the way.

Get some Protean, Creatine, Beta-Alanine, Peppermint Infused Fish Oil, and Athletic Multi.

The advice on the 5/3/1 is solid. You don't want to go much above 6-8 rep range on anything to limit caloric expenditure. Depending on how new you are to lifting 5x5 might be better for you as 5/3/1 is not really designed for beginners from my experiences.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
good information so far....track your calories and make sure your getting enough, i'd recommend also keep track of your water intake

other than that: protean, creatine....maybe a preworkout like conquer just for energy and motivation to enjoy the gym more

health supps: athletic multi, fish oil, maybe even some digestive enzymes

clayton2016

clayton2016

Awards
I'm 19, have been lifting for awhile but am kicking into over drive now. I have protein, pre workout, fish oil, and casein (just bought today).

Which lifts to do y'all find the most effective? And I'll try the 5/3/1 method and see how it goes. It just feels like its not near enough reps.

dkgreene88

dkgreene88

Awards
  • Established
Definitely try upping the carbs a little and get proper supplementation. Get atleast a gallon of H2O a day

I use:
Isotean, Protean, Creatine, a fish oil and Multivitamin

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm 19, have been lifting for awhile but am kicking into over drive now. I have protein, pre workout, fish oil, and casein (just bought today).

Which lifts to do y'all find the most effective? And I'll try the 5/3/1 method and see how it goes. It just feels like its not near enough reps.
Do 531 work sets then add in higher rep assistant work if you feel you need higher reps and profit. :)

clayton2016

clayton2016

Awards
So do 5/3/1 as much weight as possible, then do others after if I feel the need?

David Lees

David Lees

Awards
Very simple...eat above maintenance macros consistently for an extended period of time and make sure to get most if not all from good whole food sources. Train hard, get adequate rest and apply smart supplementation and you'll be good to go.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So do 5/3/1 as much weight as possible, then do others after if I feel the need?
No. 5/3/1 is just the name of the program. Each lifting day it gives you 3 submaximal percentages based off of 90% of your 1RM. You do each percentage for The prescribed amount of reps.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Might I throw a suggestion in. An alternative to 531 or 5x5 would be Madcow 5×5. It is the same basic principle as 5x5 but adds in more exercises for BBing types. Just keep that in mind for down the road and anyone who hasn't seen it check it out. It's a fun program.

worm

worm

Awards
  • Established
I've always kept pretty good track of my macros but in the last 8 months or so I've been using an app to log every food I eat so I know exactly what my macros and calories are and I can not believe the difference it makes. That is the best advice I can give is know exactly what your daily calorie intake is.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
If your looking to put on size then you really need to make yourself a homemade protein shake. That would be the best thing to do. Also make sure you take some quality bcaas and a good decent pre workout. I use MGN whey isolate milk peanut butter and a. Few other things in my shake.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Might I throw a suggestion in. An alternative to 531 or 5x5 would be Madcow 5×5. It is the same basic principle as 5x5 but adds in more exercises for BBing types. Just keep that in mind for down the road and anyone who hasn't seen it check it out. It's a fun program.
This. Good suggestions here.

These are some of the programs available right now (google the names to find out more):

-5x5. Madcows
-5/3/1 with an assistance templte that sticks out (if you look at the ebook, it makes it easier to understand)
-P.H.A.T (Layne Nortons workout: combines strength and hypertrophy)
-Westside for skinny bastards
-P/RR/S (not really my thing but I've heard good things in terms of hypertrophy work)
-Mountain dog (for advanced lifters)

There are a few more around, but IMO PHAT and Mountain dog are the ones I like. Breezy got me hooked into MD, even though I just started it.

drewsicle3210

drewsicle3210

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Link? Sounds interesting