Supps for beginners?

MANotaur

MANotaur

Awards
So lately Ive been working with more and more beginners, not a bad thing its just where the market is here.

Every single one that ive had recently (5 total-3 of them women) have come to me with a laundry basket full of supps that they just dropped 3-400 coin on for a months supply. Not saying that all these are bad or not usable, but I cant see how 80% of these items are needed for a noob.

So I would think that-Logically, until somebody got past their noob stage, the only really staples in sombodies suppliment closet should be,

Protein blend of sorts
Creatine
Multi
and if they were super serious, maybe some DAA or BCAAs.

Am I wrong with this or just being too romantic about the yester-years of college and h/s when i didnt have money for all the other crap and did just fine on a weight gainer?

any input and advice from people that are more knowledgeable than me on the matter is greatly appreciated!

thanks guys

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
I always rec a good omega 3 and try and persuade whole food over pro powders. Daa wouldn't be a first rec from me either

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I typically recommend:

protein
creatine
multi
bcaa (depending on diet and time of day training takes place, really)
joint support (if warranted)

and that would be it until they really develop good habits and a good knowledge base.

MANotaur

MANotaur

Awards
I definitely recommend the whole food. I just don't see how powders can hurt, with a beginner especially. An Omega-3 sounds like it would be a good idea.

The reason I say DAA is more and more studies are coming out about just total hormonal benefits of it. Apparently its used in regulation of all sorts of things-more usefull than just for boosting test levels in men.

MANotaur

MANotaur

Awards
I typically recommend:

protein
creatine
multi
bcaa (depending on diet and time of day training takes place, really)
joint support (if warranted)

and that would be it until they really develop good habits and a good knowledge base.
Thats kind of what I thought. Joint support i dont think would do a whole lot of good in the beginning stages because their joints are gonna be sore from the new stress anyway. I wouldnt think that G/C or cissuss would really affect that all that much-seems more like a niche for good ol advil or aleve

dkgreene88

dkgreene88

Awards
  • Established
I recommend

A good MultiVitamin
Protean or Isotean by Iforce
Fish oil
and a Creatine Mono

dkgreene88

dkgreene88

Awards
  • Established
iForce has a mint infused fish oil that wouldnt leave a fishy burp after taste!

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
All my clients I have a recommendation list of supps to get, but never do I tell them they have to get anything.
Protean
Fish Oil
Minerals
BCAAs
Athletic Multi
Creatine

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thats kind of what I thought. Joint support i dont think would do a whole lot of good in the beginning stages because their joints are gonna be sore from the new stress anyway. I wouldnt think that G/C or cissuss would really affect that all that much-seems more like a niche for good ol advil or aleve
I was thinking joint support for someone like myself who has the beginning of osteo arthritis that predates my lifting

cedman1

cedman1

Awards
Typically:
A good omega product
Vitamin

I will recommend other things as well depending how it will work into their daily lifestyle.

laneanders

laneanders

Awards
The basics for me and what I recommend include:
Protein
Multi-vitamin
Fish Oil
Creatine
Beta-Alanine (people need to start adding this to their staples imo)

I currently use:
Various types of protein, including XF, IForce Isotean and Protean, Big Blend, and Pronom 23
Orange Triad or Athletic-Multi
iForce Peppermint Fish Oil (I get really bad fish burps these help a ton)
I usually just take a creatine monohydrate, but I got a good deal on some Green Mag so I'm using that now.
SNS Beta Alanine

Now these aren't necessarily for "beginners" but I still consider them staples.
SNS Agmatine
SNS Citrulline Malate

That + nootropics and some sort of natty test booster is what I run all the time more or less.

I also take Hemavol and Compete, which of course contain some of these ingredients.