BCAA Advice

kp2012

Awards
Whats a good BCAA to take in terms of ratio, price and quantity? I want something thats affordable but good quality and will last at least 5-6 weeks. Brands etc please?

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Modern BCAA. Best bang for your buck. Good for intra workout as well. Has electrolytes.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Check out Endurance BCAA Plus. Has added glutamine, beta alanine, c-o-p, and citruline malate. Both the melon and orange flavors are awesome (just check out the reviews) and its very competitively priced. Check out some reviews on it, I've never seen a bad one!!

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
our BCAA+SAA is a new take on a complete amino matrix, fortified with silk aminos for additional recuperation & recovery..
also contains anti-oxidant & anti-cramping ingredients, and taste is awesome no matter which of the 3 flavs you pick
great pricing too!

Redefine Nutrition (FinaFlex) BCAA+SAA (315 Grams): Discount BCAA+SAA Supplements

as for wanting a product that will last 5-6 weeks -- understand your personal preference on use will determine how long an individual product will last you, so this is impossible for us to answer...our product does contain 30 servings per tub however

cheers

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
OP, ignore the silk aminos marketing BS. Any decent BCAA product will do. Throw in some beta alanine if you want, that can help. Personally, I buy bulk flavoured BCAA. Much better value and it does work.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
NJ muscle sent me a box full of those novem sticks and xtend... those tasted pretty damn good!

tjbruno

tjbruno

Awards
xtend is what I've used for the past like year or so, no complaints here.

raulob72

Awards
  • Established
Honestly Compete by I force is the best!!

HBDYWI

Awards
Aminolast by gaspari, recoup by dymatize or xtend by scivation. All great choices, great tasting with stellar ingredient profiles

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nutraplanet has the PROVEN dose of 2:1:1 and sells in the kilo. 1 kilo is more servings than xtend at a lower price.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Modern BCAA+
Cor beta BCAA
Aminolast
Xtend
Strive (this is as comprehensive of a AA supplement as you are going to get)

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
There are plenty of options out there. I personally use one BCAA and that is BCAA extended performance by MGN. Check out their nutrition profile for this product pretty great stuff. I enjoy it and the flavored are amazing!

kp2012

Awards
none of these options last long though, im looking for something thats a decent price that will last at least 4 weeks

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
none of these options last long though, im looking for something thats a decent price that will last at least 4 weeks
Work out less

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
Buy bulk. Lots of places do this. Much better value and just make sure it's the correct ratio of 2:1:1.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Nutraplanet has the PROVEN dose of 2:1:1 and sells in the kilo. 1 kilo is more servings than xtend at a lower price.
Xtend has you fooled :D. 2:1:1 was the only proven ratio over a decade ago. In recent years, there has been tons of BCAA research in humans, leading to tons of new "proven ratios." The key, it seems, is leucine ;)

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Recoverpro is my go to bcaa formula....you get a well flavored product and a ton of servings for a good price, recently i've been mixing recoverpro with half scoops of humapro powder

however coming soon i'll be using compete and recoverpro combo, should be a nice intra workout drink

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
OP, ignore the silk aminos marketing BS. Any decent BCAA product will do. Throw in some beta alanine if you want, that can help. Personally, I buy bulk flavoured BCAA. Much better value and it does work.
Yup, ignore the "marketing BS" and look through the logs. Sure, any "decent BCAA" product will do. Some are just better than others.

tjbruno

tjbruno

Awards
Xtend has you fooled :D. 2:1:1 was the only proven ratio over a decade ago. In recent years, there has been tons of BCAA research in humans, leading to tons of new "proven ratios." The key, it seems, is leucine ;)
I've read this, too. I just came off of muscletech's amino decanate which is 10:1:1 but noticed zero difference...

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Right. Are you talking 4:1:1 or 8:1:1 ? I only ask because the recent studies only seem to shine on leucine. Some of them seem to suggest if you have a diet rich in bcaas you will benefit most from just leucine powder. I personally believe the studies on 8:1:1 were payed for by usplabs or related new ratio pushers. As you know the information they put in studies is selective. Again. In these studies they consider leucine powder the way to go. Especally if you know as much about diet as we do. For example...leucine is abundant in food but in the average diet you will find more of the other 2 parts of bcaa. Valine and isoleucine.

Protein /amino acids from different sources yield different ratios of the 3. Meat has way more leucine than potatos for example.

I would suggest 4:1:1 or 8:1:1 if I knew more about his diet especially if he avoided meat. For the average person though 2:1:1 will work fine. Especally if your diet varies from day to day.

If hes a vegan or his diet is lacking leucine rich foods then leucine powder is the way to go.

This is just one mans opinion though. I like coop discussions :) makes me get out the thinking cap.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
As you know the information they put in studies is selective..
that would apply to the great majority of studies out there, not just ones sponsored/paid for by certain companies or interest groups

too much stock is put into "studies", by the ppl who cannot think for themselves or are not intuitive enough to use a product and be able to personally notice if xyz product is beneficial and efficacious for them

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Right. Are you talking 4:1:1 or 8:1:1 ? I only ask because the recent studies only seem to shine on leucine. Some of them seem to suggest if you have a diet rich in bcaas you will benefit most from just leucine powder. I personally believe the studies on 8:1:1 were payed for by usplabs or related new ratio pushers. As you know the information they put in studies is selective. Again. In these studies they consider leucine powder the way to go. Especally if you know as much about diet as we do. For example...leucine is abundant in food but in the average diet you will find more of the other 2 parts of bcaa. Valine and isoleucine.

Protein /amino acids from different sources yield different ratios of the 3. Meat has way more leucine than potatos for example.

I would suggest 4:1:1 or 8:1:1 if I knew more about his diet especially if he avoided meat. For the average person though 2:1:1 will work fine. Especally if your diet varies from day to day.

If hes a vegan or his diet is lacking leucine rich foods then leucine powder is the way to go.

This is just one mans opinion though. I like coop discussions :) makes me get out the thinking cap.
It seems like the study suggests that proteins lower in luecine content, you need more grams of the respective lower quality protein to reach the same amount of protein synthesis as less grams of a higher quality protein source. So supplementing luecine with a lower quality protein could drastically increase the protein synthesis of that given meal or whatever it may be.

Now it's been awhile and I don't really remember details but didn't people used to say if luecine was a lot higher than valine and isoluecine has a negative affect inside the body? I don't remember exactly what used to be said.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
that would apply to the great majority of studies out there, not just ones sponsored/paid for by certain companies or interest groups

too much stock is put into "studies", by the ppl who cannot think for themselves or are not intuitive enough to use a product and be able to personally notice if xyz product is beneficial and efficacious for them
agreed, people will post one study that helps justify their small point of view rather than the broad spectrum being discussed on the thread....it's not a good look

too much bias when either putting together these studies and the interpretation of the studies being posted.....nothing better than using the said product and seeing what happens to themselves

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established

I didnt say just the sponsored ones

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Did you find a decent supplement brand? what type of BCAA did you go with? Also are you looking for a protein supplement?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Modern BCAA+
Cor beta BCAA
Aminolast
Xtend
Strive (this is as comprehensive of a AA supplement as you are going to get)
This...

Core ABC too from CORE

Top notch products, very cost effective and solid formula's.

being 2:1:1 is the only researched blend of amino's on the market,
"2:1:1 is the proven scientific ratio. Higher leucine doesn't mean better results, sometimes it can become refractory."

A good read:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139575333&highlight=2:1:1+Research

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
BCAA peptides are the best way to go.

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
This...
"2:1:1 is the proven scientific ratio. Higher leucine doesn't mean better results, sometimes it can become refractory."
So adding extra leucine would actually counter any positive/beneficial effects and potentially cause negative ones? Or would it simply not do anything additional and be a waste?

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So adding extra leucine would actually counter any positive/beneficial effects and potentially cause negative ones? Or would it simply not do anything additional and be a waste?
At a certain point it won't give additional benefit

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
At a certain point it won't give additional benefit
I have a bag of the stuff to use up which I got dirt cheap a while ago, so what's the most effective way to use it? I've been adding a few grams to my PWO. Or am I as well to plant magic beans in my garden haha? ;)

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have a bag of the stuff to use up which I got dirt cheap a while ago, so what's the most effective way to use it? I've been adding a few grams to my PWO. Or am I as well to plant magic beans in my garden haha? ;)
I would dose the leucine between meals TBH.

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd say 5-10g at a time pre w/o and post w/o is beneficial, more than that is probably just going to waste.

sina

Banned
Awards
I am curious about excess Aminos converting to glucogenesis

MANotaur

MANotaur

Awards
Heres a thought....and nobody has mentioned it-

buy your own bulk Leucine, valine, and iso- and make the blends your self.

try 2:1:1, then 3:1:1 then 4:1:1 and so on and so fourth- then get freaky with it. If you respond well to 4:1:1 (which I do) try 4:1:2 or 4:2:1- mix and match at your will.

then when you find your own proprietary blend- just keep making it and that way you have the absolute best blend for you-and its the most cost effective.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Stick to what works. Peptides at 50% bcaa. Or amino patches which I like as well.

808shredded

Awards
  • Established
that would apply to the great majority of studies out there, not just ones sponsored/paid for by certain companies or interest groups too much stock is put into "studies", by the ppl who cannot think for themselves or are not intuitive enough to use a product and be able to personally notice if xyz product is beneficial and efficacious for them
This

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
I use to use xtend like crazy, but now my go to is NOW BCAA and mixing that with Compete for my intra.
Now after reading all this, sounds like Lucien the way to go? Buy in bulk and consume between meals? Is there a time before or after meals it should be consumed?

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I use to use xtend like crazy, but now my go to is NOW BCAA and mixing that with Compete for my intra.
Now after reading all this, sounds like Lucien the way to go? Buy in bulk and consume between meals? Is there a time before or after meals it should be consumed?
Yes, leucine is supposedly the way to go ;) Unless of course you have a BCAA deficiency (during a cut, type of diet, etc.).

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
As I'm sure I recall reading in numerous sources, I'm sure leucine alone isn't as effective as leucine WITH the other aminos. It still needs them to work effectively as I understand it, but leucine is the key one.

laneanders

laneanders

Awards
I like the flavors of Xtend pretty well if I am going to go the BCAA route. I also use Compete pretty often, while it isn't a BCAA product you should look in to it for your purposes. I also really like Powershock it has BCAA and Nitrates in it. (Get lemon lime if you go powershock though or you will wish you had)

Add some additional Leucine to whatever you take.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
As I'm sure I recall reading in numerous sources, I'm sure leucine alone isn't as effective as leucine WITH the other aminos. It still needs them to work effectively as I understand it, but leucine is the key one.
You're correct although most typical bodybuilding diet will consist of a balance of all 3.

This is regarding people who have the 40/40/20 macro split or less protein. The protein whores* 50% or more of your caloric intake is protein* will have more leucine and less isoleucine and valine. Especally if primarily meat eaters.

David Lees

David Lees

Awards
Whats a good BCAA to take in terms of ratio, price and quantity? I want something thats affordable but good quality and will last at least 5-6 weeks. Brands etc please?
Inner Armour has a pretty good BCAA powder for the price. Taste could be better though...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
PolishHamm3r77 Weight Loss 10
Supplements 4
Supplements 2
Supplements 4
Supplements 8