Calories and XGELS

Auslifter

Auslifter

Awards
  • Established
im currently Lean bulking. i know iv read you should up calories by 500-1000 which seems a bit stupid to me, what happens if you leave your surplus the same while taking them? would you see atrophy from the doms and because you didnt eat in a high enough surplus? but you kept it the same as usual.

SPLocal

Awards
Upping your calories while bulking seems stupid?

The recommendation is there for those who plan to use X-Gels during a bulk. Some have reported recomp effects when using them with a maintenance intake and others report strength maintenance when used in a slight deficit. A higher caloric intake will compliment the ArA's effects on changing body composition.

~500 to 1000 is more or less a standard range of surplus to be added to your TDEE during a bulk, the latter tailored to those who have a harder time putting on weight.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
im currently Lean bulking. i know iv read you should up calories by 500-1000 which seems a bit stupid to me, what happens if you leave your surplus the same while taking them? would you see atrophy from the doms and because you didnt eat in a high enough surplus? but you kept it the same as usual.
X-Gels should increase your hunger which is why people say you will increase calories. You do not have to increase your calories but more then likely your body will demand more nutrients from ArA.

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you're taking something like ArA that can help your body utilize more calories and don't consume more calories, it's not like you're going to experience muscle atrophy, but you're not utilizing the supplement to its greatest potential.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
DOMS won't atrophy a muscle FWIW. It is the bodies response to a new stimulus or strenous exercise (doesn't always occur).

You can keep calories at a maintenance if you so wish; X-Gels will compliment your goals regardless of what they are however I have found they work best in a surplus for the reasons the others have stated above.

Auslifter

Auslifter

Awards
  • Established
DOMS won't atrophy a muscle FWIW. It is the bodies response to a new stimulus or strenous exercise (doesn't always occur).

You can keep calories at a maintenance if you so wish; X-Gels will compliment your goals regardless of what they are however I have found they work best in a surplus for the reasons the others have stated above.
Thanks for clearing that up, i am still in a 'surplus' its just not a massive surplus like 500-1000 as it was recomended. lean bulking right now so adding roughly 1-2lbs each month and the most calories i would be willing to add while on it would be 100-200 to avoid to much fat gain. so 200-400 surplus for me. just wasnt sure how the 'DOMS' from it or response to new stim would effect without enough calories

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for clearing that up, i am still in a 'surplus' its just not a massive surplus like 500-1000 as it was recomended. lean bulking right now so adding roughly 1-2lbs each month and the most calories i would be willing to add while on it would be 100-200 to avoid to much fat gain. so 200-400 surplus for me. just wasnt sure how the 'DOMS' from it or response to new stim would effect without enough calories
X-Gels will suit your goals just fine :) I just entered a cut (for the summer) and am running X-Gels through it to help maintain my strength. So far so good :D

Patuba

Awards
  • Established
Several people that take ArA supplements report a leaning out effect. I'm guessing if you don't increase your calories enough you may lean out, but you shouldn't see any atrophy.

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Several people that take ArA supplements report a leaning out effect. I'm guessing if you don't increase your calories enough you may lean out, but you shouldn't see any atrophy.
x2, many find themselves losing a bit of weight if they dont increase calories but report only fat loss and denser muscles that are performing better than ever!

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I wouldn't drastically change my diet because of X Gels. We aren't talking about AAS here lol

That being said, I might add a in a little more protein.

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
500cal increase for bulking in general, yes. Not sure who recommends 1000cals.