Should i take bcaa's on cardio days?

kp2012

Awards
and if so, the same amount as i take on weight training days?

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you want. They aren't necessary though.

kp2012

Awards
arent necessary on cardio days, or just in general?

rockme

rockme

Awards
Pre cardio IMO is a good idea. Especially if your cardio is strenuous. This would help, but if it's low intensity, it may not be worth the time/money. I take 10 g bcaa preworkout with other stuff, but that's before hitting the iron

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I think BCAAs pre-cardio are a horrible idea. If the point of your cardio is to burn calories, then what's the use in slugging down extra calories?

Take your BCAAs for your weight training sessions where they have potential to enhance performance and anabolism

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
def take bcaa's on cardio days....i sip them while i do cardio, the bcaas would give the same benefits for cardio days as weight days...especially if your doing HIIT cardio the way you should be

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
I think BCAAs pre-cardio are a horrible idea. If the point of your cardio is to burn calories, then what's the use in slugging down extra calories?

Take your BCAAs for your weight training sessions where they have potential to enhance performance and anabolism
Coop what do you think about taking them before a 10k run otherwise on an empty stomach? I don't want to eat and 10k totally empty is somewhat difficult and may lead to some muscle loss. Would BCAAs be helpful here?

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
Coop what do you think about taking them before a 10k run otherwise on an empty stomach? I don't want to eat and 10k totally empty is somewhat difficult and may lead to some muscle loss. Would BCAAs be helpful here?
Good question, when I do cardio I always go hight intensity also.

laneanders

laneanders

Awards
Drink some Compete before you run, not a BCAA product, but will have substantial benefits in the stead of a BCAA product.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Drink some Compete before you run, not a BCAA product, but will have substantial benefits in the stead of a BCAA product.
i agree...but i'd like to sip it during the cardio, thats just me...2 scoops for a hard cardio session will add a lot of benefits and i dont' think the 20 calories are going to be detrimental to anyone

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was thinking potassium nitrates...
depends on your type of cardio....but PN might give ppl crazy pumps which may be uncomfortable during long or intense cardio sessions

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established

Agreed. Why do people forget about muscle memory? Get so caught up in not losing muscle they forget about the main goal.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
depends on your type of cardio....but PN might give ppl crazy pumps which may be uncomfortable during long or intense cardio sessions
ive yet to get that severe of a pump when not lifting.. and the endurance benefits far outweigh the mild pump I would get from running. that's my own experience though.. maybe someone else has had a different outcome with aerobics. now lifting tho... that's a whole different story.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
ive yet to get that severe of a pump when not lifting.. and the endurance benefits far outweigh the mild pump I would get from running. that's my own experience though.. maybe someone else has had a different outcome with aerobics. now lifting tho... that's a whole different story.
I prefer anabolic cardio. Farmers walk ,high rep bodyweight lunges, jump rope,boxing *combos* high jumps,burpees ect ect so I can reap both benefits

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
I think you're fine without them.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i've gotten painful calve pumps from running before....but i dont' run anymore, however if someone does HIIT cardio their legs are going to swell up similar to a leg training session....again why BCAA or Compete would be extremely useful

if you listen to layne norton talk about it on his one podcast....LISS cardio has shown to decrease muscle mass and HIIT could actually increase the mass in your legs.....so it only makes sense to add bcaas or a drink like compete for cardio

Clemenza

Awards
  • Established
I prefer EAA's/BCAA's/Electrolytes pre/intra cardio.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
If I am doing long duration cardio, which is only contest prep, I use BCAA's and Compete.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer

This.. or spaced between meals 4-6 hours apart...

http://www.biolayne.com/wp-content/uploads/Norton-J-Ag-Food-Ind-Hi-Tech-2008.pdf

http://www.biolayne.com/news/episode-2-of-muscle-college-radio-muscle-protein-synthesis/

rockme

rockme

Awards

Hmmm.... never realized BCAA's had caloric value. I always thought they were a non-caloric, muscle sparing supp. Good to know. Do you think it's ok to take them with preworkout supps like citrulline malate, agmatine, caffeine, etc. I take them all at once, and now I'm wondering if I should omit the BCAA since these other supps work better on an empty stomach... 15 years hitting the iron and still learning : )

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hmmm.... never realized BCAA's had caloric value. I always thought they were a non-caloric, muscle sparing supp. Good to know. Do you think it's ok to take them with preworkout supps like citrulline malate, agmatine, caffeine, etc. I take them all at once, and now I'm wondering if I should omit the BCAA since these other supps work better on an empty stomach... 15 years hitting the iron and still learning : )
More due to insulin but even gel caps have calories. You aren't allowed to list calories on amino acids either. As per fda requirements.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
More due to insulin but even gel caps have calories. You aren't allowed to list calories on amino acids either. As per fda requirements.
I've seen no difference with using them as I like which is 10g every few hours.

Results have been nothing but stellar in muscle retention and fat loss. I find them extremely beneficial

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Correct. Also always taking amino's never allows protein levels to reach refractory stages before being spiked again. Therefore protein levels are constantly elevated, where Muscle Protein Synthesis has been shown superior with larger meals spaced out further apart with small 5g Leucine doses between those meals (4-6 hours apart) per the podcast and Layne's research.

Aminos are 1g of protein per 1g of BCAA (free forms of protein) as stated above the FDA does not count them since they are so small.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Correct. Also always taking amino's never allows protein levels to reach refractory stages before being spiked again. Therefore protein levels are constantly elevated, where Muscle Protein Synthesis has been shown superior with larger meals spaced out further apart with small 5g Leucine doses between those meals (4-6 hours apart) per the podcast and Layne's research.

Aminos are 1g of protein per 1g of BCAA (free forms of protein) as stated above the FDA does not count them since they are so small.
Every 3 hours or so id take them and always 4 -5 hours after a meal

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Get a decent BCAA supp
Agreed, and if I could give my top recommendations I would suggest you try USP BCAA+ or Cellucor BCAA's. both are fantastic products. BCAA+ has a great 8:1:1 ratio and Leucine reigns supreme of the 3, along with EAA's and electrolytes.

Cellucor's offers some extra AA's for workout endurance and although the Leucine content is lower in comparison it has a good amount of HICA in each scoop, which will be great fir maintaining muscle mass.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Agreed, and if I could give my top recommendations I would suggest you try USP BCAA+ or Cellucor BCAA's. both are fantastic products. BCAA+ has a great 8:1:1 ratio and Leucine reigns supreme of the 3, along with EAA's and electrolytes.

Cellucor's offers some extra AA's for workout endurance and although the Leucine content is lower in comparison it has a good amount of HICA in each scoop, which will be great fir maintaining muscle mass.
Agreed
Scivation Xtend
Core ABC are also top products.

Eager to see PES release their amino.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If pes releases it with hica. Put me down for 10lbs

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've been using BCAA's between meals. Then use HICA with some electrolytes for cardio days. I usually try to bang out 3 to 4 miles and hate doing on empty stomach cause I feel run down when I do.

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If your goal is just pure weight loss, "burning calories" is probably in your best interest .

If your goal I specifically fat loss, and preventing muscle catabolism
The type of cardio, how much, and type of calories used, is going to change.

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Who cares about calories, I care about fat loss, and not causing a spike in insulin.

Bcaas will do this better than gels, goos, or Gatorade type sports drinks.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Who cares about calories, I care about fat loss, and not causing a spike in insulin.

Bcaas will do this better than gels, goos, or Gatorade type sports drinks.
Bcaas cause an insulin spike.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
In presence of glucose and it's mainly leucine
Couple of studies point at bcaas causing a spike *due to caloric content amongst other things. * even while fasted.

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This person sums it up nicely:

"The difference comes with the type of Insulin response. BCAA's will stimulate acute Insulin response from the turning on or beginning of protein synthesis. Unlike a heavy carbohydrate or carbohydrate + protein meal, BCAA's will not cause a lasting Insulin response. When you ingest Glucose, for instance, the Insulin response is both acute and long-lasting, as there is an initial response by the Pancreas and then a continual response to the blood until the blood Glucose gets back to a normal. Now, it's a lot more complicated than this and obviously depending what is consumed can greatly change this response, but the latter, chronic Insulin release is why the typical metabolically deranged person will develop Type II Diabetes and other issues.

To answer your specific question, I think BCAA's before "fasted" cardio is an interesting debate. I think the arguments can be made on both sides, both on the "inhibits fat burning" and "spares muscle tissue" side of the fence. In my opinion, I am a big fan of the use of BCAA's, but I do agree that Physiologically it DOES inhibit some metabolizing of stored fatty acids. Here's my implementation...

If I'm someone with a great deal of muscle mass and I'm concerned about preserving this, I'd tend to use the BCAA's and just be content with even 25% of my fat burning ability.

If I'm someone with a great deal of fat to lose, you have to accept that much of your "functional muscle" you develop just to support the excess fat is going to be lost while burning fat. If fat loss is your goal, roll with that, don't worry about BCAA's and just do straight up fasted cardio.

Everyone should be using BCAA's in supplement form or those found in Whey Protein (or both together) post-workout. No doubt about that."

PumpAddict69

Awards
BCAA can be used as a fuel source like carbs and will prevent your body from efficiently burning fat.

Ben Pakulski answered this exact question and says morning cardio should be done completely fasted for the above reason. I'm inclined to believe him. He's one of the smarter ifbb pros.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
BCAA can be used as a fuel source like carbs and will prevent your body from efficiently burning fat.

Ben Pakulski answered this exact question and says morning cardio should be done completely fasted for the above reason. I'm inclined to believe him. He's one of the smarter ifbb pros.
I've been recomping really well sitting very lean and never train fasted without bcaas. A nice run, that I won't use them for.