Potassium nitrate vs. sodium nitrate

  1. Senior Member
    tyrub42's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,098
    Rep Power
    250256
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    33.9%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Potassium nitrate vs. sodium nitrate


    Hi everyone! So I am currently living in Taiwan. After reading a bit about potassium nitrate as it's PWO benefits, I tried to find it for sale here. While it is easy to find it, I haven't been able to find food-grade anywhere (yet). After trying out the "chemical district" today, I decided to swing by a sausage shop and ask about it. The owner told me that he knows where to get it and even had some to give me (he'll bring it by the store tomorrow for me), but after translating the chinese, it is sodium nitrate, not potassium nitrate.

    Will sodium nitrate have the same benefits as potassium nitrate as a PWO pump product?

    Looking at a periodic table, sodium is much lighter than potassium, so I am thinking that if 150mg of potassium nitrate has 58mg of potassium (92mg nitrate), then 150mg of sodium nitrate should have about 30-35mg of sodium (115-120mg nitrate). Does that sound about right?

    I will still try to find potassium nitrate in the food prep district (apparently we have on of those) either way, as I don't think I get enough potassium, but in the meantime, am in correct in my assumptions above? Thanks!

    Best,
    Tyler

    P.S.- If I made any glaring errors in my reasoning, let me know...I am very new to the thought of using nitrates for PWO supplementation.

  2. Senior Member
    xR1pp3Rx's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,904
    Rep Power
    1391874
    Level
    56
    Lv. Percent
    88.88%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Potassium Nitrate is 61% Nitrate, and only 39% Potassium so you will have to take more of other kinds to achive the same effects as taking the potassium version.
    FINAFLEX forum rep
    visit our website at finaflex.com
  3. Senior Member
    tyrub42's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,098
    Rep Power
    250256
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    33.9%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by xR1pp3Rx View Post
    Potassium Nitrate is 61% Nitrate, and only 39% Potassium so you will have to take more of other kinds to achive the same effects as taking the potassium version.
    Wow thanks for the lightning-fast reply!

    Do you know the percentages for sodium nitrate? I just assumed that it would be less than 39% sodium because sodium is lighter than potassium (Na's atomic mass is ~23 whereas K's is ~39). That isn't true?

    Aside from changing the amount I have to take, is sodium nitrate an acceptable substitute for potassium nitrate?

    Thanks again for replying so quickly!

    Best,
    Tyler
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    xR1pp3Rx's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,904
    Rep Power
    1391874
    Level
    56
    Lv. Percent
    88.88%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I don't know those numbers. it seems like powershock used to use sodium nitrates. really its about the nitrate dose u are ultimately after. but I don't know that you want to add sodium to your diet. that's part of the reason iForce uses the potassium version, potassium has good benefits on its own. plus because its packed with more nitrates its easier to get the doses u are after.
    sodium nitrate might be awful to swallow.
    FINAFLEX forum rep
    visit our website at finaflex.com
  5. Senior Member
    tyrub42's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,098
    Rep Power
    250256
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    33.9%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Thanks again, dude!

    Haha taste won't be too bad (I've been using GPLC recently...anything would taste better than that).

    Yeah I definitely agree about K being better to add than Na for most people, and specifically myself as the only K-rich food I eat is a banana every day and occasionally some of the K-rich vegetables but not nearly enough. I will continue to search for KNO3 and switch to that if at all possible (if I can find it here, it will be incredibly inexpensive...I just haven't had any luck yet). The iForce version seems pretty much perfect even including the Vit C and you guys are literally giving it away for free with Hemavol, which is great.

    Now the only question left is what are the percentages of sodium and nitrate. If anyone knows, please chime in!!! I am going on the assumption that potassium nitrate is one K atom bonded to a NO3 molecule, and sodium nitrate is one Na atom bonded to a NO3 molecule. K's mass is 39; Na's mass is 23. If all of that is true, then sodium nitrate would yield a higher percentage of nitrates compared to potassium nitrate. I am loosely estimating about 25% sodium and 75% nitrate. However, I am no Walter White so it is possible (...ok, likely) that I am massively wrong. If anyone has this information, please post. Thanks!!!

    Best,
    Tyler
  6. Elite Member
    schizm's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,815
    Rep Power
    3135056
    Level
    73
    Lv. Percent
    49.99%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Think I had just read that Purus labs Condense uses sodium nitrate...
    ~SNS~ Serious Nutrition Solutions- Rep
    Cortisol control:ReduceXT/Test Boost:DAA (bulk&caps)/Pump/N.O.:Agmatine(bulk & caps)/Test/sleep support:ZMA **RB** Est Post #22
  7. Advanced Member
    laneanders's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    887
    Rep Power
    198651
    Level
    31
    Lv. Percent
    55.85%
    Achievements Activity Pro

    I'm not sure what the amount of sodium would be, but ripper already let you know about the amount in KNO3 Potassium Nitrate. If you can't find it nitrates are still beneficial. I don't know the amount you would need to adjust though.
  8. Elite Member
    Montego1's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  236 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    8,534
    Rep Power
    7415027
    Level
    96
    Lv. Percent
    40.02%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by tyrub42 View Post
    Thanks again, dude!

    Haha taste won't be too bad (I've been using GPLC recently...anything would taste better than that).

    Yeah I definitely agree about K being better to add than Na for most people, and specifically myself as the only K-rich food I eat is a banana every day and occasionally some of the K-rich vegetables but not nearly enough. I will continue to search for KNO3 and switch to that if at all possible (if I can find it here, it will be incredibly inexpensive...I just haven't had any luck yet). The iForce version seems pretty much perfect even including the Vit C and you guys are literally giving it away for free with Hemavol, which is great.

    Now the only question left is what are the percentages of sodium and nitrate. If anyone knows, please chime in!!! I am going on the assumption that potassium nitrate is one K atom bonded to a NO3 molecule, and sodium nitrate is one Na atom bonded to a NO3 molecule. K's mass is 39; Na's mass is 23. If all of that is true, then sodium nitrate would yield a higher percentage of nitrates compared to potassium nitrate. I am loosely estimating about 25% sodium and 75% nitrate. However, I am no Walter White so it is possible (...ok, likely) that I am massively wrong. If anyone has this information, please post. Thanks!!!

    Best,
    Tyler
    You might ask Purus Reps Grambo or DanB if they know the%. Purus Condense does have sodium nitrate but im not sure if they will tell you though....secrets and all

    Nfi how to mention on here. ...

    ​" If you're looking for a work horse.......I'm no Clydesdale."
  9. Senior Member
    tyrub42's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,098
    Rep Power
    250256
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    33.9%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Montego1 View Post
    You might ask Purus Reps Grambo or DanB if they know the%. Purus Condense does have sodium nitrate but im not sure if they will tell you though....secrets and all

    Nfi how to mention on here. ...

    That is an awesome idea, thanks!!! Hopefully they will tell me. If not, I will just go by my calculation from earlier and start with a reasonable dose of 500mg. If I find the info (and the source doesn't tell me not to post it), I will post it here. Thanks again!

    Best,
    Tyler
  10. Senior Member
    tyrub42's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,098
    Rep Power
    250256
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    33.9%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    OK I found a Purus Labs rep that was online now and sent a message. I will let you know what he tells me. If I don't hear back, I will try to ask MrCooper as I am pretty much convinced that he knows everything about every compound ever. I will update when I hear back.
  11. Elite Member
    Montego1's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  236 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    8,534
    Rep Power
    7415027
    Level
    96
    Lv. Percent
    40.02%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by tyrub42 View Post
    OK I found a Purus Labs rep that was online now and sent a message. I will let you know what he tells me. If I don't hear back, I will try to ask MrCooper as I am pretty much convinced that he knows everything about every compound ever. I will update when I hear back.
    He is a very knowledgeable guy.

    ​" If you're looking for a work horse.......I'm no Clydesdale."
  12. Senior Member
    tyrub42's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,098
    Rep Power
    250256
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    33.9%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Oh nevermind, the info was right there in the Condense labeling. Sodium nitrate = 480mg. Sodium = 130 mg. So nitrates in 480mg = 350mg

    I had inferred that sodium was about 25%. It seems that it is actually 27%. Not a bad inference
  13. Senior Member
    tyrub42's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,098
    Rep Power
    250256
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    33.9%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Well, I found potassium nitrate about 25 min. away so I will pick some up if this sodium nitrate works well.

    I just took my first dose with my PWO stuff and 300mg vitamin C and am about to hit the gym.

    XR1PP3RX in regards to the taste, you are right it isn't pleasant. It reminded me of swallowing sea water as a kid. I didn't expect it to taste so much like table salt for some reason, but I guess it makes sense that it would.

    Has anyone tasted potassium nitrate? Is it any better? If this works, I will switch regardless since I don't think I get enough potassium as it is .

    Thanks again to everyone for the replies. I will update again if there is any more relevant info to share.
  14. Senior Member
    tyrub42's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,098
    Rep Power
    250256
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    33.9%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    OK I just tried a workout with my usual PWO plus 450-500mg of sodium nitrate. Honestly went pretty badly. I noticed a few small side effects right away (dizziness, etc...), which I think were just placebo effects because they started right away. During cardio, I became light-headed for a minute or two, but for the most part it was ok. Lifting went without incident, but my lifts were down a bit from my last workout. The whole time, every time I burped, I got a weird taste in my mouth. By the time I was driving home, I was feeling pretty nauseous. When I got in the door, I immediately ran to the bathroom and threw up...then threw up again. Was it definitely the sodium nitrate? Nope, there are other possibilities (food poisoning, hypoglycemia from ABE taken PWO, etc); however the only things that I did today that I didn't do last week during this time were that my PWO meal had a higher fat content than normal and a lower protein content, and I added sodium nitrate.

    I didn't get any crazy pump from the addition of sodium nitrate. I do feel pumped up, but I always get pumped up from lifting, plus my PWO and ABE. I didn't see or feel a noticeable difference today, and my energy wasn't great during either cardio or lifting. My major lifts went down, so there was no performance increase and more likely a performance decrease.

    I don't think I will be trying sodium nitrate again, however I am still considering potassium nitrate if the taste isn't as bad since it is so cheap.

    Best,
    Tyler
  15. Senior Member
    tyrub42's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,098
    Rep Power
    250256
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    33.9%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    * a possible reason for my bad experience other than the taste is that I consumed 1 serving of Controlled Labs' greens supplement about 2 hours before consuming the sodium nitrate. That has a nitrate blend in it including beetroot powder, so it is possible that I just had way too much nitrate in my system from both of those. I don't know how much the greens supplement would have factored in but I figured I should mention it.
  16. Diamond Member
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,628
    Rep Power
    6508145
    Level
    98
    Lv. Percent
    39.22%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    It was the sodium nitrate. You took too much and had a hypotensive crisis. Always start low. Na-NO3 is 73% nitrate by weight, so you basically took a full dose without assessing tolerance
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  17. Senior Member
    tyrub42's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,098
    Rep Power
    250256
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    33.9%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    It was the sodium nitrate. You took too much and had a hypotensive crisis. Always start low. Na-NO3 is 73% nitrate by weight, so you basically took a full dose without assessing tolerance
    Not only did I do that, but I thought about starting lower, decided it was probably unnecessary, and [also being aware of the ratio of nitrate to sodium] still started high. So I was a huge idiot. My performance on my current log suffered, too.

    Hey Coop, any idea how long it will take the nausea to wear off???

    Best,
    Tyler
  18. Diamond Member
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,628
    Rep Power
    6508145
    Level
    98
    Lv. Percent
    39.22%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by tyrub42 View Post
    Not only did I do that, but I thought about starting lower, decided it was probably unnecessary, and [also being aware of the ratio of nitrate to sodium] still started high. So I was a huge idiot. My performance on my current log suffered, too.

    Hey Coop, any idea how long it will take the nausea to wear off???

    Best,
    Tyler
    A while. Nitrate salts have an ~8 hour halflife
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  19. Senior Member
    tyrub42's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,098
    Rep Power
    250256
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    33.9%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    A while. Nitrate salts have an ~8 hour halflife
    ...damn. Oh well, thanks for the info. This is pretty embarrassing overall. I will see if eating helps.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Sodium Nitrate vs Creatine Nitrates
    By Whacked in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-14-2012, 06:00 PM
  2. Creatine nitrate VS BCAA nitrates
    By Gymshoe in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-17-2011, 02:26 PM
  3. Glycocarn vs Creatine Nitrate - PUMPS?
    By Markusrulezzz in forum Supplements
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-05-2011, 07:48 PM
  4. the best creatine ? Nitrate vs kre-alkalyn vs mono vs...
    By Markusrulezzz in forum Supplements
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 03-14-2011, 04:45 PM
  5. APS Plasmagen Nitrate vs plasma jet
    By lou38 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-31-2008, 02:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in