a good quick read on Agmatine

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Agmatine [4-(aminobutyl)guanidine], an endogenous neurotransmitter [1], is decarboxylated L-arginine and is a metabolic product of mammalian cells. Agmatine binds to α[SUB]2[/SUB]-adrenergic receptor, it induces the release of some peptide hormones, and was reported to inhibit nitric oxide synthase (nitric oxide synthases are responsible for the production of nitric oxide from L-arginine) [1,2]. [h=3]Agmatine benefits for exercise[/h] There are many claimed benefits of agmatine and a lot of disinformation is circling all over internet. Some even claim that agmatine increases nitric oxide production via inhibition of nitric oxide synthase enzyme, which is nonsense. A study by Elena Galea and others [2] reported that agmatine is a competitive inhibitor of all nitric oxide synthase isoenzymes. However, it seems that agmatine stimulates some types of nitric oxide synthase while inhibiting others. Morrissey and Klahr [3] reported that agmatine caused activation of nitric oxide synthase in endothelial cells (layer of cells on inner surface of blood vessels). Agmatine appears to act directly on endothelial cells to increase the synthesis of nitric oxide, which induces them to cause vasodilatation [3].
Agmatine has potential to treat chronic pain, addictive states and brain injury due to its ability to inhibit hyperalgesia (increased sensitivity to pain) and its neuroprotective activity [4]. Therefore it may potentiate the effects of analgesics used during recovery from injury. Feyza Aricioglu and Hale Altunbas [5] reported modulatory effect of agmatine on anxiety and depression. Accumulating evidence suggests that agmatine possesses nootropic effects and that is a novel neurotransmitter [6]. More and more evidence is accumulating on the involvement of agmatine in the processes of learning and memory, however, direct evidence of its involvement is currently lacking [6].
In vitro studies are also showing insulin-like effect [7]. Sener A. et al. [8] have shown that agmatine causes stimulation of insulin secretion but fails to affect insulin release in the absence of glucose.

References

1. Feng, Yangzheng, John E. Piletz, and Michael H. Leblanc. “Agmatine suppresses nitric oxide production and attenuates hypoxic-ischemic brain injury in neonatal rats.” Pediatric research 52.4 (2002): 606-611.
  2. Galea, Elena, et al. “Inhibition of mammalian nitric oxide synthases by agmatine, an endogenous polyamine formed by decarboxylation of arginine.” Biochem. J 316 (1996): 247-249.
  3. Morrissey, Jeremiah J., and Saulo Klahr. “Agmatine activation of nitric oxide synthase in endothelial cells.” Proceedings of the Association of American Physicians 109.1 (1997): 51-57.
  4. Reis, Donald J., and Soundararajan Regunathan. “Is agmatine a novel neurotransmitter in brain?.” Trends in pharmacological sciences 21.5 (2000): 187-193.
  5. Aricioglu, Feyza, and Hale Altunbas. “Is agmatine an endogenous anxiolytic/antidepressant agent?.” Annals of the New York Academy of sciences 1009.1 (2003): 136-140.
  6. Liu, Ping, et al. “Spatial learning results in elevated agmatine levels in the rat brain.” Hippocampus 18.11 (2008): 1094-1098.
  7. Weitzel, Günther, Brigitte Pfeiffer, and Wieland Stock. “Insulin-like partial effects of agmatine derivatives in adipocytes.” Hoppe-Seyler´ s Zeitschrift für physiologische Chemie 361.1 (1980): 51-60.
  8. Sener, Abdullah, et al. “Stimulus-secretion coupling of arginine-induced insulin release: Insulinotro action of agmatine.” Biochemical pharmacology 38.2 (1989): 327-330.

BioCor Nutrition Agmatine (25 grams): Discount Agmatine Supplements

pcowan13

Awards
Very interesting read!! thanks for posting!! i Just started taking agmatine and have liked what i have seen but i also added 5g of citrulline malate to my preworkout too.

DJBeanPole

DJBeanPole

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Agmatine [4-(aminobutyl)guanidine], an endogenous neurotransmitter [1], is decarboxylated L-arginine and is a metabolic product of mammalian cells. Agmatine binds to α[SUB]2[/SUB]-adrenergic receptor, it induces the release of some peptide hormones, and was reported to inhibit nitric oxide synthase (nitric oxide synthases are responsible for the production of nitric oxide from L-arginine) [1,2]. [h=3]Agmatine benefits for exercise[/h] There are many claimed benefits of agmatine and a lot of disinformation is circling all over internet. Some even claim that agmatine increases nitric oxide production via inhibition of nitric oxide synthase enzyme, which is nonsense. A study by Elena Galea and others [2] reported that agmatine is a competitive inhibitor of all nitric oxide synthase isoenzymes. However, it seems that agmatine stimulates some types of nitric oxide synthase while inhibiting others. Morrissey and Klahr [3] reported that agmatine caused activation of nitric oxide synthase in endothelial cells (layer of cells on inner surface of blood vessels). Agmatine appears to act directly on endothelial cells to increase the synthesis of nitric oxide, which induces them to cause vasodilatation [3].
Agmatine has potential to treat chronic pain, addictive states and brain injury due to its ability to inhibit hyperalgesia (increased sensitivity to pain) and its neuroprotective activity [4]. Therefore it may potentiate the effects of analgesics used during recovery from injury. Feyza Aricioglu and Hale Altunbas [5] reported modulatory effect of agmatine on anxiety and depression. Accumulating evidence suggests that agmatine possesses nootropic effects and that is a novel neurotransmitter [6]. More and more evidence is accumulating on the involvement of agmatine in the processes of learning and memory, however, direct evidence of its involvement is currently lacking [6].
In vitro studies are also showing insulin-like effect [7]. Sener A. et al. [8] have shown that agmatine causes stimulation of insulin secretion but fails to affect insulin release in the absence of glucose.

References

1. Feng, Yangzheng, John E. Piletz, and Michael H. Leblanc. “Agmatine suppresses nitric oxide production and attenuates hypoxic-ischemic brain injury in neonatal rats.” Pediatric research 52.4 (2002): 606-611.
  2. Galea, Elena, et al. “Inhibition of mammalian nitric oxide synthases by agmatine, an endogenous polyamine formed by decarboxylation of arginine.” Biochem. J 316 (1996): 247-249.
  3. Morrissey, Jeremiah J., and Saulo Klahr. “Agmatine activation of nitric oxide synthase in endothelial cells.” Proceedings of the Association of American Physicians 109.1 (1997): 51-57.
  4. Reis, Donald J., and Soundararajan Regunathan. “Is agmatine a novel neurotransmitter in brain?.” Trends in pharmacological sciences 21.5 (2000): 187-193.
  5. Aricioglu, Feyza, and Hale Altunbas. “Is agmatine an endogenous anxiolytic/antidepressant agent?.” Annals of the New York Academy of sciences 1009.1 (2003): 136-140.
  6. Liu, Ping, et al. “Spatial learning results in elevated agmatine levels in the rat brain.” Hippocampus 18.11 (2008): 1094-1098.
  7. Weitzel, Günther, Brigitte Pfeiffer, and Wieland Stock. “Insulin-like partial effects of agmatine derivatives in adipocytes.” Hoppe-Seyler´ s Zeitschrift für physiologische Chemie 361.1 (1980): 51-60.
  8. Sener, Abdullah, et al. “Stimulus-secretion coupling of arginine-induced insulin release: Insulinotro action of agmatine.” Biochemical pharmacology 38.2 (1989): 327-330.

BioCor Nutrition Agmatine (25 grams): Discount Agmatine Supplements
tldr.jpg

JK ;) good read thanks R1!

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Very interesting read!! thanks for posting!! i Just started taking agmatine and have liked what i have seen but i also added 5g of citrulline malate to my preworkout too.

try taking agmatine before bed. its awesome :D

pcowan13

Awards
so do i take it pre work out and before bed or just before bed?

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
awesome info.

This is why we suggest using our bulk Agmatine powder 50g tubs before meals, pre-workout, and/or pre-bed

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
awesome info.

This is why we suggest using our bulk Agmatine powder 50g tubs before meals, pre-workout, and/or pre-bed
This is why we also suggest our 50g and 100g tubs of Agmatine powder :D.

cedman1

cedman1

Awards
Very nice to know as I've just started on this as well. So far have only been taking 500mg upon waking. Will add into my before bed routine as well,

Thanks for the read and the information,

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nice read.

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Has anyone taken agmatine and a GDA pre meal?

bananaClip

bananaClip

Awards
  • Established
i do 2g agmatine prework another 1-2(depends on size of scoop) some where during the day and another 2 or so before i sleep

500mg - one gram does nada for me

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Spaniard's Corner :p

100 gram tubs? Oooooooooooooo. I know what I'm going for when I run out of my PrimaForce :D
Spaniard's Arena ;) hell Yea man pick some up 100 days worth at a gram a day :D

This is why BioCor .....

ah nevermind, not worth it lol
Lmao ;) it's always worth it!

ironranger

ironranger

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
awesome info.

Is it ok to mix bulk Agmatine together with Leucine? I Normally mix 1 gram Agmatine to 3 grams Leucine Pre work out.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Is it ok to mix bulk Agmatine together with Leucine? I Normally mix 1 gram Agmatine to 3 grams Leucine Pre work out.
Sure thing. But only if its SNS Agmatine, any other brand will spontaneously combust when you shake it.

:p

cedman1

cedman1

Awards
Hi again,

In my research last evening (on the web, lol) I came across a site that gave a lot of pro's and con's on Agmatine. It was a very positive article with links to a lot of research that has been done in different studies, etc. However, one con they mentioned twice was that Agmatine has the capability to negate the blocking properties of Yohimbe.

Is this something that is well known or not a major deal. I'm going to continue using the Agmatine but I just had that question. Thanks,

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
Hi again,

In my research last evening (on the web, lol) I came across a site that gave a lot of pro's and con's on Agmatine. It was a very positive article with links to a lot of research that has been done in different studies, etc. However, one con they mentioned twice was that Agmatine has the capability to negate the blocking properties of Yohimbe.

Is this something that is well known or not a major deal. I'm going to continue using the Agmatine but I just had that question. Thanks,
I've never heard of this and I happen to be using Agmatine and Yohimbine HCL at the moment... In for more info

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've never heard of this and I happen to be using Agmatine and Yohimbine HCL at the moment... In for more info
Agmatine binds but posses no action there actually the intra workout agmatine leucine and yohimbine with 15-30g carbs will produce mind boggling pumps add in a few othe key ingredients and it's anabolism all day

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
Agmatine binds but posses no action there actually the intra workout agmatine leucine and yohimbine with 15-30g carbs will produce mind boggling pumps add in a few othe key ingredients and it's anabolism all day
You didn't english to well there lol... I know agmatine+cit mal+BA+creatine+green tea+caffeine+yohimbine+DMAA+powder gatorade=F'ing epic gym time... But is there anything wrong with this combo??

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've always wondered what yohimbine's effects on pumps was. Anybody care to explain? Does it have bloodflow promoting qualities?

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hi again,

would you care to post those studies on here or PM me the links and I will post them?

cedman1

cedman1

Awards
would you care to post those studies on here or PM me the links and I will post them?

Sure as this is the first I've seen of this listed con:

*taken from Link*
Does Not Go Well With

L-Arginine and L-Citrulline (for some neurological effects; cardiovascular interactions not well elucidated)
Yohimbine and Rauwolscine (Agmatine activates the α2A receptor that these inhibit)
D-Aspartic Acid due to reducing signalling via the NMDA receptors
Alcohol coingestion (may increase ulceration from alcohol)

Link:
http://examine.com/supplements/Agmatine/

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I posted a large thread on this back in 2012 called iirc

Agmatine food for thought

cedman1

cedman1

Awards
I posted a large thread on this back in 2012 called iirc

Agmatine food for thought
OK, will find it and go through that thread as well.

*** Thanks for posting the link, great info in regards to what I mentioned ***

Last edited:
R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Will read when I get home. Thanks for the links guys!!!

ironranger

ironranger

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sure thing. But only if its SNS Agmatine, any other brand will spontaneously combust when you shake it.

:p
Sounds like fun, will have to try that lol, new I should have purchased SNS :Flush:

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I've always wondered what yohimbine's effects on pumps was. Anybody care to explain? Does it have bloodflow promoting qualities?
Yohimbine will increase vascularity but it's chiefly a vasoconstrictor

Sure as this is the first I've seen of this listed con:

*taken from Link*
Does Not Go Well With

L-Arginine and L-Citrulline (for some neurological effects; cardiovascular interactions not well elucidated)
Yohimbine and Rauwolscine (Agmatine activates the α2A receptor that these inhibit)
D-Aspartic Acid due to reducing signalling via the NMDA receptors
Alcohol coingestion (may increase ulceration from alcohol)

Link:
http://examine.com/supplements/Agmatine/
Sigh. At least they removed creatine

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm living proof of this. EBF hooked me up with a formula to use, won't have another workout without it.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

raekwonse

Awards
Does this mean its bad to stack Alphamine and high volume preworkout on a cut?

cedman1

cedman1

Awards
Great information in this thread again, just started using 500mg twice a day and logging as well. Appreciate all the input.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Great information in this thread again, just started using 500mg twice a day and logging as well. Appreciate all the input.
What brand are.you.using?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Try SNS agmatine if you havent already :D