New Beta Alanine study and differences across races

1. Registered User

New Beta Alanine study and differences across races

Macphee S, Weaver IN, Weaver DF. An Evaluation of Interindividual Responses to the Orally Administered Neurotransmitter β -Alanine. J Amino Acids. 2013;2013:429847

"Previously, we have identified β-alanine as a potential endogenous anticonvulsant molecule. β-Alanine occurs within the human central nervous system and has been identified as both an inhibitory neuromodulator and neurotransmitter that is bioavailable to brain after oral administration. During preliminary compounding trials to ascertain dosing strategies for β-alanine, we noted pronounced differences in the side effect profile experienced by individuals of Asian and Caucasian descent. To investigate whether ethnicity affects β-alanine-induced side effects, we administered 3 g of β-alanine in 200 mL of fruit drink to ten people of each ethnic background and observed them for 30 minutes. Data collected included basic physical statistics (height, age, and weight) and descriptions of all side effects, as reported by participants. We found that participants of Asian descent experienced paraesthesia, but significantly different in time of onset, intensity, and anatomical localization, as compared to the effects experienced by Caucasian participants. Since β-alanine is an endogenous neurotransmitter substance within human brain, these side effect differences were unexpected."

PES
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://facebook.com/pescience

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Interesting. I didn't know there were CNS effects but suspected it could be the case based on my own use. There's been times when I've been mentally and physically exhausted and BA has turned that around nicely.

With the paraesthesia, it may be that different races have different densities and distributions of histamine receptors (if there is such a thing).
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bioman View Post
    Interesting. I didn't know there were CNS effects but suspected it could be the case based on my own use. There's been times when I've been mentally and physically exhausted and BA has turned that around nicely.

With the paraesthesia, it may be that different races have different densities and distributions of histamine receptors (if there is such a thing).
    I love beta alanine great supplement and muy affordable
    Serious Nutrition Solutions | Online Representative
    Growth Factor XT-GROW! Need Cycle Support? Check out Liver XT.
    Follow SNS on Facebook for more promos!
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.

That's racist?

Jk. That is weird though. I wonder if other effects of BA differ in different cultures...or of other supplements in general. Cool stuff.
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/231713-rob112-3-means.html
    "Train like a beast, think like a human"-RTS
  5. Registered User

Pretty interesting stuff
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2008, 11:25 PM
  2. Negative Beta-Alanine Study?
    By ironman0370 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-14-2008, 06:06 AM