Whey protein vs whole food after hard workout

chris9394

Awards
I have 3 buffet meals with lots of protein available to me at college. Will eating whole food (tuna/cottage cheese) vs drinking a whey shake affect my muscle gain and or recovery??

Touey

Touey

Awards
Am sure this will turn out to be lovely thread

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have 3 buffet meals with lots of protein available to me at college. Will eating whole food (tuna/cottage cheese) vs drinking a whey shake affect my muscle gain and or recovery??
No.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It might not effect muscle gains but it can effect body composition.

I find the more whole food sources I use, as opposed to shakes, the better my body reacts.

Shakes have their place but shouldn't be solely relied upon for meals imo.

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Just eat protein and don't overthink it.

Mp859

Mp859

Awards
You absorb the whey within 30minutes so it is more beneficial directly after your workout. But should be followed up by a hole food meal.

I do a shake right after my workouts and then an hr later eat.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You absorb the whey within 30minutes so it is more beneficial directly after your workout. But should be followed up by a hole food meal.

I do a shake right after my workouts and then an hr later eat.
This man has a good plan, covering all his bases. I would say that as long as you eat 1-3 hrs afterward, emphasizing protein and whatever else fits your goals.

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ultimately its what works best for you. Like montego above, he reacts better to whole food sources where for me it doesnt matter if i eat a whole meal or drink a shake with oatmeal after a workout.

In the grand scheme of things if you drink a shake and eat carbs or an actual whole meal its not going to make a huge difference.

The main thing is being consistent finding out what works for you and hitting your macros day in and day out.

kevinhy

kevinhy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
At the end of the day, it really all comes down to the total amount of protein ingested. I prefer whole foods post workout as opposed to shakes depending on whether I'm bulking or cutting. If im dieting ill use whole food as i need the satiety it provides, if im bulking ill use a shake followed by a food meal.

Either way, if whole food is easier for you, just eat that. The difference made wont be ground breaking one way or another.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I drink a Protean shake right after my workout, then about 15-20 minutes later eat a meal...but thats only because thats when the meal done, i would think if you ate anywhere within the first hour of your shake then your good

laneanders

laneanders

Awards
I drink Isotean or Protean right after a workout and then go straight home (usually) and eat a large meal. I think it is beneficial to have both because the powder will start working quickly until you can get some whole foods in.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I drink Isotean or Protean right after a workout and then go straight home (usually) and eat a large meal. I think it is beneficial to have both because the powder will start working quickly until you can get some whole foods in.
^ ^
Another good reason. I like to cram 100+ grams of protein in the post workout 'window' and always have powder in my bag and a meal at home. Done it both ways and this has always worked better.. It's the only reason I use protein powder ever.

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
I use to have 1 shake a day post workout and 5-6 whole food meals. Recently I wanted to try an experiment by eating all of my meals w/ whole foods without the use of shakes or bars. I can safely say that after 2 months, I noticed that I am less bloated, I lost bodyfat, and I did not lose any muscle mass. I used to buy 1 tub of whey protein a month and now I have it in my kitchen for that "last minute meal prep" in case I am running late or have a shake to hold me off until I return home. Give whole foods a try if you can.. I feel much better

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
I found switching to an Isolate after my workouts instead of whey has helped a lot with bloat. I use Isotean after my workouts and then when I get into work I have a whole meal, and then another one 1 hr after that. Seems to be working well for me after 11 months of doing things this way.

chris9394

Awards
Well I've been on a cut as well and a lot of the time I'd prefer some eggs, cottage cheese, and oatmeal over whey water and cereal

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i don't think anyone could argue that protein powder is as good as whole food....but if your like me, the drive home from the gym if traffic is bad or i hit all the stop lights could take me 15 minutes...a Protean shake for the ride home really helps and at least could hold me over a bit until my food is done when i get home

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I personally prefer a shake post workout, mainly just to have something in my system but not have that something feel like it is weighting me down. Personal preference really at the end of the day.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Exactly. The studies are already done. If you're already in a positive nitrogen balance via whole food hours prior, you're g2g, but I can't be convinced that 50 of easily digestable whey w some sugars and a large balanced meal within the next hour isn't EXACTLY what I need. It's the most critical feeding of my day and I won't take any chances with it...

dkgreene88

dkgreene88

Awards
  • Established
After a workout I drink Isotean or Protean immediately. Then I go to work and about 45min after my shake I will have a meal