Protein digestion

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
What are some products that worked good for you to help digest protein better, aka help with protein farts and stomach cramps due to high protein intake and any other discomforts that come along with a high protein diet.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Any specific name or just type in digestive enzymes
Not just any, GI issues are common with lower quality products I learned the hard way. Go for a well reviewed and recommended product. Evomuse Gut Health is great, most users here tend to say the same. I am using Anabolic Design's Ravenous with my larger meals as well, one of the first digestion aids to not mess with my bowels, a side effect is increased hunger though.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been using Bluebonnet or Jay Robb whey protein isolate for years. I've consistently experienced bad stomach bloating and have been searching for the cause for months now. I was selected to log MAN Sports' PF3 and dropped the protein powder for this. In 2 weeks I'm noticing the stomach bloat is decreasing and I feel much better. So, it seems that I may have an issue taking whey isolate (I know I have a lactose intolerance). Decided from here out to only use BCAAs and real food protein.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
sounds like you might be lactose intolerant. try finding a protein which has little or no lactose and you will feel much better. some of the better products use probiotics and such as part of the formula.

Mack411

Mack411

Awards
Evomuse Gut Health

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No matter how much protein I eat I don't get gassy or bloated. Most of my bloat always comes from carbohydrate sources.

Proteins with fiber sol-2. Cause me the most discomfort.

Other proteins with the same ingredient panel and no fiber sol-2 cause no issue

I'd highly recommend looking into your fat and carb sources first

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd 1) Assess if you may be eating too much protein 2) Determine if maybe you have an intolerance to something in your current intake.

I pretty much always use a probiotic (Gut Health) and have had some success with NOWs Digestive Enzymes (can't remember the exact product).

How much protein and from what sources do you normal get it from?

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
I'd 1) Assess if you may be eating too much protein 2) Determine if maybe you have an intolerance to something in your current intake.

I pretty much always use a probiotic (Gut Health) and have had some success with NOWs Digestive Enzymes (can't remember the exact product).

How much protein and from what sources do you normal get it from?
I'm aiming for 273g per day and get usually atleast 250g, I get 200g from whey isolate/concentrate that I try to take with breakfast, and hour pre-workout, and post workout. Then throughout the day ill have a serving of almonds, half serving cashews, and half serving pistachios. I get 12g from those and 12g from milk. Then I have about 3 eggs in the morning and whatever my mother cools for dinner that night the protein spruces vary from chicken and steak to pasta and and meats really. I know my protein intake is higher than ever and when it used to be a little over 200g I'd get issues but I'm cutting weight and need to up my protein to maintain strength and LBM so I want to grab something to help alleviate the issues. I was lactose intolerant when I was younger kinda still am now but not as bad.

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
sounds like you might be lactose intolerant. try finding a protein which has little or no lactose and you will feel much better. some of the better products use probiotics and such as part of the formula.
I am sadface.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
200g fro whey!? I think we found your problem.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
200g fro whey!? I think we found your problem.
This!

Hence why I asked. I think that is your problem man. Can't you get protein from other sources (more varied)?

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm aiming for 273g per day and get usually atleast 250g, I get 200g from whey isolate/concentrate that I try to take with breakfast, and hour pre-workout, and post workout. Then throughout the day ill have a serving of almonds, half serving cashews, and half serving pistachios. I get 12g from those and 12g from milk. Then I have about 3 eggs in the morning and whatever my mother cools for dinner that night the protein spruces vary from chicken and steak to pasta and and meats really. I know my protein intake is higher than ever and when it used to be a little over 200g I'd get issues but I'm cutting weight and need to up my protein to maintain strength and LBM so I want to grab something to help alleviate the issues. I was lactose intolerant when I was younger kinda still am now but not as bad.

273 grams of protein is a little much.

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
This!

Hence why I asked. I think that is your problem man. Can't you get protein from other sources (more varied)?
I could but I can't, if that makes sense? I spend a little over 4 dollars a day on whey, each serving of 25g is just above 50 cents and at this point in time I don't have the luxury of being able to spend more than that or have the time to go get foods equivalent to that price ratio due to a hectic lifestyle atm so its not only convenient but it fits the budget the rest of my pay goes to all my bills and with my constant running around its much easier to drink a shake then eat food or even prepare meals in advance. I figure since the times I take them its good to have quick uptake(ie first thing in the morning, pre-workout and post workout) that I could get away with it better than just randomly drinking whey throughout the day? I mean I'm open to any suggestions but that's all I've come up with

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I could but I can't, if that makes sense? I spend a little over 4 dollars a day on whey, each serving of 25g is just above 50 cents and at this point in time I don't have the luxury of being able to spend more than that or have the time to go get foods equivalent to that price ratio due to a hectic lifestyle atm so its not only convenient but it fits the budget the rest of my pay goes to all my bills and with my constant running around its much easier to drink a shake then eat food or even prepare meals in advance. I figure since the times I take them its good to have quick uptake(ie first thing in the morning, pre-workout and post workout) that I could get away with it better than just randomly drinking whey throughout the day? I mean I'm open to any suggestions but that's all I've come up with
BJ's has 3 lbs of ground turkey for a little over 7 lbs. this in one day is 1970 calories all your protein and all your fat. You can add carbs as you see fit. Eating this 4times a day would be cheaper if your having 8 oz each sitting

6 lbs of chicken for 18-21 dollars.

There's a **** load of protein in this.

kenny76

kenny76

Awards
  • Established
Damn thats alot of whey. Believe me i understand being busy. Heres a suggestion. Watch the sale papers at your local grocery stores. Around here boneless chk breasts go on sale for 1.99/lb. A family pack has five big chicken breasts, at 35 grams or so of protien per 4 oz. They are about 16 oz before cooking, bout 12 oz after. make the whole damn pack at once, eat one per day and theres over 100 g protien at about 2$ per day.

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
Whole foods are much cheaper than paying for whey.
What Kenny said and even EBF said sound like viable options just back to the time issue about buying it,preparing it, and eating it compared to shaking up a bottle and downing the liquid in 1 min or less I'm just trying to balance high protein with constant running around, I may try to get some chicken and add that in place of half the whey but at this point in time I feel like the whey helps me balance everything much easier. I know people have crazy lifestyles and still manage to eat only whole foods so it can be done but diet is last on my list of things to accomplish I'm just trying to have an easy diet and hit my macros not to much thinking or preparing

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
Just out of curiosity what is everyone's opinion on an "ok" amount of daily whey incase I do grab some chicken breast to substitute for it?

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just out of curiosity what is everyone's opinion on an "ok" amount of daily whey incase I do grab some chicken breast to substitute for it?
I would do no more then 2 scoops a day

But I'm dieting and have no problem hitting my protein plus I like to chew my calories. Keeps me much fuller
Plus most proteins are garbage now and loaded with stupid ****

If you go protein I think oxy elite is a great one. I also happen to like trutein and pro complex. Vitamin shoppe pro 24 ain't bad either

But try trader joes they have a cooked 4 pack of chicken/turkey sausage that's like 40g fat and 84 protein per pack and they come cooked and not to expensive

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll have to say, the less I have supplement shakes for protein and eat whole foods instead, I can notice a big difference in body comp. I wasn't a believer in this before but I've changed my Outlook. Anything with a digestive enzyme complex built in would be a good start but experimenting with different types ie whey, casein, egg could possibly reveal an intolerance you have with a particular source.

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
I would do no more then 2 scoops a day

But I'm dieting and have no problem hitting my protein plus I like to chew my calories. Keeps me much fuller
Plus most proteins are garbage now and loaded with stupid ****

If you go protein I think oxy elite is a great one. I also happen to like trutein and pro complex. Vitamin shoppe pro 24 ain't bad either

But try trader joes they have a cooked 4 pack of chicken/turkey sausage that's like 40g fat and 84 protein per pack and they come cooked and not to expensive
I don't think I have a trader joes around my parts but ill double check and ill also check out those proteins I'm currently using fitness pro super whey, thanks for the recommendations

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't think I have a trader joes around my parts but ill double check and ill also check out those proteins I'm currently using fitness pro super whey, thanks for the recommendations
Look into fat free cheeses as well I'm lactose intolerant and get my cheese from lifetime cheeses. Fat free. I eat 5-10oz a day.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like fat. Would never purchase anything fat free. Fat=good.
Not saying it's bad. I get in 75-130 grams depending on my day

This is just to add flavor to a fatty meat like today I added 5.5oz to my 11.75oz meatloaf and had mashed sweet potato and egg noodle. Ya feel me?

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
Another thing regarding the whey vs whole foods, it would just be easier on the stomach, like less protein farts and GI issues compared to the whey. Whey would still be effective for hitting my protein goals correct? I would still consider it food no?

MonteRXS

MonteRXS

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Whey at the end of the day is a supplement. Whole foods should be your primary focus. Make it happen. Prepare the night before or on any day off and make your meals in bulk so they are ready for when you need them. Preparation is key!

One can't overlook all the micro-nutrients in whole foods. Marco's are definitely important to hit, but micro-nutrients are just as important. Most protein powders won't provide the micro-nutrient benefits that a whole meal would.

So eat eat eat! and then where you can't hit your macro goals, supplement.... Not supplement, supplement, supplement and then eat.

just my two cents :)

kenny76

kenny76

Awards
  • Established
Whey at the end of the day is a supplement. Whole foods should be your primary focus. Make it happen. Prepare the night before or on any day off and make your meals in bulk so they are ready for when you need them. Preparation is key!

One can't overlook all the micro-nutrients in whole foods. Marco's are definitely important to hit, but micro-nutrients are just as important. Most protein powders won't provide the micro-nutrient benefits that a whole meal would.

So eat eat eat! and then where you can't hit your macro goals, supplement.... Not supplement, supplement, supplement and then eat.

just my two cents :)
For sure man, the same macros are much more fufilling with real food. In my opinion whey should only be used post workout.

kenny76

kenny76

Awards
  • Established
generally every fresh meat you cook is good for 5 to seven days in the fridge. When your real busy and you get a couple free hours light a grill, cook a bunch of shizzle and eat it for days. steaks and chicken all week. Use the broiler for even quicker cook time if you want.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Another thing regarding the whey vs whole foods, it would just be easier on the stomach, like less protein farts and GI issues compared to the whey. Whey would still be effective for hitting my protein goals correct? I would still consider it food no?
You should count it in your daily macros and totals yeah.

kenny76

kenny76

Awards
  • Established
You would of course count it as food in your macros, but whole food will leave you way more fufilled.
Per caloriecount.com
4 oz boneless skinless ckic breast
125 cals
28 protein

Roughly similar to a scoop of wpc, depending on what brand you use. Double that and you have a 2 scoop protein shake, but your stomach is way more full with roughly the same macros. At least for me, whey does nothing to fill my belly.