Probiotics

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Registered User
    kenpoengineer's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  158 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Mentor, OH
    Age
    54
    Posts
    3,983
    Rep Power
    2351800

    Probiotics


    Anyone using probiotic supplements? Any recommendations?

  2. Registered User
    breezy11's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,183
    Rep Power
    3734501

    Quote Originally Posted by kenpoengineer View Post
    Anyone using probiotic supplements? Any recommendations?
    Hi kenpoengineer. I'd check out EvoMusue Gut Health. I have a history of GI issues and it's been a staple of mine for a few years (old and current versions). Another good option is Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  3. Banned
    bakerwil's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    751
    Rep Power
    0

    Everyday. With it, I can take a number of supplements and my stomach says happy. I use 'NOW brand 8 billion acidophilus....' The price is right and it works....
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    kissdadookie's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,649
    Rep Power
    2112394

    I use probiotics on the daily. My go to is Garden of Life's Primal Defense Ultra. Do a little googling, they have a 216 cap bottle for only $47. HIGHLY recommended.

    15 billion units. Really varied combination of different strains. Also includes the soil organisms which are great for your colon.
  5. Registered User
    veaderko's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    29
    Posts
    972
    Rep Power
    283113

    Quote Originally Posted by bakerwil View Post
    Everyday. With it, I can take a number of supplements and my stomach says happy. I use 'NOW brand 8 billion acidophilus....' The price is right and it works....
    This is also what I use.
    iForce Nutrition Anabolics Minion Member
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate
    iForce Nutrition -www.iForceNutrition.com
  6. Registered User
    ELROCK's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    625
    Rep Power
    333626

    EvoMusue makes a great probiotic product. It has both probiotics and pre-biotics in it. It's a little pricey but I usually just wait for it to go on sale at NP.
  7. Registered User
    Geoforce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,876
    Rep Power
    1188909

    Quote Originally Posted by ELROCK View Post
    EvoMusue makes a great probiotic product. It has both probiotics and pre-biotics in it. It's a little pricey but I usually just wait for it to go on sale at NP.
    Gut Health is a two month supply. I've always felt much better bathroom and digestion wise on it. It's one of our most popular products.
    EvoMuse Products Rep

    PM me with any questions!
  8. Registered User
    bioman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,697
    Rep Power
    513130

    NOW's version works pretty well, especially for the price but I like to get as many strains as I can. Garden of Life's RAW is pricey but one of the best I have tried. Dr. Ohira's is really potent and good to take after a round of antibiotics or major gut problem.
  9. Registered User
    domore's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,921
    Rep Power
    966229

    The new and improved Gut Health™ contains the following probiotic strains along with their evinced associated benefits:

    • Bacillus Coagulans: has been shown to decrease abdominal pain and bloating that’s associated with a high protein diet in the normal digestive process.
    • Bacillus Subtilis: has been shown to stimulate and improve innate immune function improving overall systemic function.
    • Lactobacillus Casei: has been shown to reduce lactose intolerance, enhance nutrient digestion and absorption, and reduce GI inflammatory factors.
    • Streptococcus Thermophilae: has been shown to reduce GI inflammatory factors and have potent immunomodulatory and anticarcinogenic effects.
    • Lactobacillus Plantarum: has been shown to promote protein absorption/ utilization and reduce GI inflammatory factors .
    • Bifidobacterium Breve: has been shown to alleviate gas symptoms typical with high protein ingestion, reduce bloating, and have powerful immunomodulary effects. This is evinced by potent competitive exclusion properties of harmful bacteria such as E coli that can typically cause GI related distress and disease.

    For all of you who are familiar with Jason Cholewa (his most recent study is the reason for the "All aboard the Betaine train" thread in the Advanced Discussion), he has an excellent write up on probiotics, health, and performance. Check it out: http://jasoncholewa.com/2012/07/22/c...d-performance/

    There is one thing to remember. There are no commercially available probiotics you can take that continue to colonize the gut after supplementation stops. Whatever strains you take disappear within a couple weeks of discontinuation. The only thing you can do that seems to effect any permanent change in flora is fecal bacteriotherapy (enema with a healthier person's ****), which is looking extremely promising for a variety of disorders. So, continuous supplementation of a probiotic is needed to maintain that balance.
    EvoMuse
  10. Registered User
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    5,055
    Rep Power
    3298295

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoforce View Post
    Gut Health is a two month supply. I've always felt much better bathroom and digestion wise on it. It's one of our most popular products.
    Get it back in stock please
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  11. Registered User
    Touey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    U.S./Italy
    Posts
    1,767
    Rep Power
    3014412
    "To your wife you should kiss try today"-Touey

    Brotato's bark brings shakes to the pups in the yard
  12. Registered User
    T-Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northeastern United States
    Posts
    15,464
    Rep Power
    4172664

    I never noticed anything with these types of products.
    S.N.S. Rep

    T-bone@seriousnutritionsolutions .com
  13. Registered User
    kissdadookie's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,649
    Rep Power
    2112394

    Quote Originally Posted by domore View Post
    There is one thing to remember. There are no commercially available probiotics you can take that continue to colonize the gut after supplementation stops. Whatever strains you take disappear within a couple weeks of discontinuation. The only thing you can do that seems to effect any permanent change in flora is fecal bacteriotherapy (enema with a healthier person's ****), which is looking extremely promising for a variety of disorders. So, continuous supplementation of a probiotic is needed to maintain that balance.
    Yup, heard about that fecal transfusion on a microbiology podcast.
  14. Registered User
    Frosty415's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    30
    Rep Power
    60409

    Only time I took them was on MP multis... Didn't feel a difference.
  15. Registered User
    bioman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,697
    Rep Power
    513130

    I was reading about fecal transplant 10-13 years ago when looking for treatments for my wife's ulcerative colitis. We didn't pursue it, but glad to see it's working and gaining momentum.
  16. Registered User
    Geoforce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,876
    Rep Power
    1188909

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Get it back in stock please
    Did not realize it was out! Dang hope Matt is getting that fixed asap. I think it's "out there" if one looks.
    EvoMuse Products Rep

    PM me with any questions!
  17. Registered User
    ahh123's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    415
    Rep Power
    91807

    Like this topic and suggestions of products to use.

    I myself also have sensitive intestinal tract and a lot of normal stuff gives me diarrhea (like 2 apples or some fatty meals or a dressing on a salad), or upset stomach but never really thought about trying probiotics to maybe see if this will get fixed.

    I see recommended products are now Gut Health and Garden of Life's Primal Defense Ultra which gets great reviews everywhere I look.

    Has anybody took both products and can say which one is better?

    For products that are top quality and work I don't care if they cost a bit more as long as they work and my body tolerate them - meaning they are as natural and free of bad chemicals as they can be.

    I see entire Garden of Life line is amazing for a guy wanting to take raw and natural supplements.
  18. Registered User
    fightbackhxc's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Killinois
    Posts
    7,375
    Rep Power
    724205

    Quote Originally Posted by kenpoengineer View Post
    Anyone using probiotic supplements? Any recommendations?
    With GMO's possibly having an adverse effect on the GI tract and with research showing that a large portion of your immune system begins in your gut, probiotics are a great addition to any supplement regimen.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions | Online Representative
    Growth Factor XT-GROW! Need Cycle Support? Check out Liver XT.
    Follow SNS on Facebook for more promos!
  19. Registered User
    The Solution's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    8,725
    Rep Power
    6306184

    Quote Originally Posted by breezy11 View Post
    Hi kenpoengineer. I'd check out EvoMusue Gut Health. I have a history of GI issues and it's been a staple of mine for a few years (old and current versions). Another good option is Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra.
    This... Evomuse Gut Health made by matt Pearson. Best on the market IMO
    Team ScoobyPrep - Unleash Your Potential
  20. Registered User
    kissdadookie's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,649
    Rep Power
    2112394

    Quote Originally Posted by ahh123 View Post
    Like this topic and suggestions of products to use.

    I myself also have sensitive intestinal tract and a lot of normal stuff gives me diarrhea (like 2 apples or some fatty meals or a dressing on a salad), or upset stomach but never really thought about trying probiotics to maybe see if this will get fixed.

    I see recommended products are now Gut Health and Garden of Life's Primal Defense Ultra which gets great reviews everywhere I look.

    Has anybody took both products and can say which one is better?

    For products that are top quality and work I don't care if they cost a bit more as long as they work and my body tolerate them - meaning they are as natural and free of bad chemicals as they can be.

    I see entire Garden of Life line is amazing for a guy wanting to take raw and natural supplements.
    Google the 216 ct bottle of Primal Defense Ultra. $47, damn good price and the product is strong as heck.

    I'm not a raw and natural cheerleader, but that Primal Defense Ultra I tend to trust because 1) I've been using it for the longest 2) I have my mom use the stuff 3) the Primal Defense (original) I believe is the one that the consumer watchdogs tend to quality check and 4) it's 15 billion live cell count from 13 species including soil based plus they added some plants fiber to keep the organisms alive and nourished.

    It's pretty comprehensive as that covers the bacteria in both you intestines as well as your colon. If your gut health is quite questionable, you may want to adhere to the dosing suggestions on the bottle and take it slow, because it could give you a pretty hardcore detoxification effect (aka squirts and flatulence).

    Also, don't forget to get a decent amount of prebiotic fiber (veggies, fruits) in daily to keep that good GI bacteria healthy.
  21. Banned
    JD261985's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    2,704
    Rep Power
    0

    Garden of life ultimate care probiotics or coconut kefir. All probiotics should require refrigeration. If they don't then don't buy it
  22. Registered User
    kissdadookie's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,649
    Rep Power
    2112394

    Quote Originally Posted by JD261985 View Post
    Garden of life ultimate care probiotics or coconut kefir. All probiotics should require refrigeration. If they don't then don't buy it
    Not really. Room temperature is fine. Just don't leave the probiotics out in very warm/hot environments. Also depends on the quality of the probiotics. Remember, these things can survive your gut and your internal body temperature. Not that easy to kill.
  23. Banned
    JD261985's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    2,704
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by kissdadookie View Post

    Not really. Room temperature is fine. Just don't leave the probiotics out in very warm/hot environments. Also depends on the quality of the probiotics. Remember, these things can survive your gut and your internal body temperature. Not that easy to kill.
    If you want to keep believing that then go ahead. But that is not accurate at all
  24. Registered User
    kissdadookie's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,649
    Rep Power
    2112394

    Quote Originally Posted by JD261985 View Post
    If you want to keep believing that then go ahead. But that is not accurate at all
    That's the info which comes from Garden of Life. I don't know, should I take your word for it or should I take the word of the company that basically is most well known for probiotics? Hmmmmmm.
  25. Registered User
    sideshowdoc's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    146
    Rep Power
    9071

    We know so little about probiotics especially in Vivo i think right now were essentially just pissing...errrr ****ting in the wind lol. In the next decade or two though I think well have a much better handle on the gi and microbio me in general and how to actually properly apply specific strains, etc.

    Never hurts to use em though, unless they do cause any negative symptoms that is. I prefer kimchi, sauerkraut, cultured dairy, etc.
  26. Registered User
    rob112's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,025
    Rep Power
    333048

    Quote Originally Posted by JD261985 View Post

    If you want to keep believing that then go ahead. But that is not accurate at all
    I was under the impression that the specific product KDD was talking about is freeze dried and shelf stable...while others like the 30-400billion cfu need to be refrigerated at all times bc they are not freeze dried.

    What is the inside scoop?
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/231713-rob112-3-means.html
    "Train like a beast, think like a human"-RTS
  27. Banned
    bakerwil's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    751
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by JD261985 View Post
    Garden of life ultimate care probiotics or coconut kefir. All probiotics should require refrigeration. If they don't then don't buy it
    Well I am using a NOW product (non refrigerated and really cheap). It first helped me (quickly) get through some stomach issues I had a couple of years ago. About 1.5 years ago when I started taking more and more supplements, let's say my stomach was not totally happy with what I was trying to put through it.
    I got a bottle of the NOW and within a couple of days - I was back on track. I have not looked back - take it everyday. Lowcost Insurance. I do see much value in throwing away more money for probiotics (when I eat a healthy diet and am fit to start with) that could be better used for supplements...just my OP.
  28. Banned
    JD261985's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    2,704
    Rep Power
    0

    Again..not here to argue...you can believe what you want. I have acid reflux disease I have researched my ass off trying to find the right combination of supplements, homeopathy and diet so that I can get off nexium. Which I have successfully done after being on it for three years. So if you think I'm just going off of hear say you are mistaken. If you're that invested use Google its not that difficult. I'm not going to look for studies and evidence and all that I'm on my phone
  29. Registered User
    sideshowdoc's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    146
    Rep Power
    9071

    Quote Originally Posted by JD261985 View Post
    Again..not here to argue...you can believe what you want. I have acid reflux disease I have researched my ass off trying to find the right combination of supplements, homeopathy and diet so that I can get off nexium. Which I have successfully done after being on it for three years. So if you think I'm just going off of hear say you are mistaken. If you're that invested use Google its not that difficult. I'm not going to look for studies and evidence and all that I'm on my phone
    D limonene, jarrows brand. Once a day. You'll thank me later.
  30. Banned
    bakerwil's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    751
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by sideshowdoc View Post
    D limonene, jarrows brand. Once a day. You'll thank me later.
    That's for acid reflux right? It has great ratings on many sites and a great price too!
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Probiotics
    By crader in forum Supplements
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 08-19-2007, 08:17 AM
  2. Should probiotics be taken with antibiotics?
    By spinn in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-11-2007, 09:26 PM
  3. Probiotic Testers Wanted
    By dsade in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 152
    Last Post: 02-07-2007, 11:36 PM
  4. Probiotic Defense Powder.
    By pistonpump in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-06-2006, 10:47 PM
  5. probiotics
    By DmitryWI in forum Supplements
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-28-2005, 10:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in