Probiotics

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anyone using probiotic supplements? Any recommendations?

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hi kenpoengineer. I'd check out EvoMusue Gut Health. I have a history of GI issues and it's been a staple of mine for a few years (old and current versions). Another good option is Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra.

B

bakerwil

Banned
Awards
Everyday. With it, I can take a number of supplements and my stomach says happy. I use 'NOW brand 8 billion acidophilus....' The price is right and it works....

K

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I use probiotics on the daily. My go to is Garden of Life's Primal Defense Ultra. Do a little googling, they have a 216 cap bottle for only $47. HIGHLY recommended.

15 billion units. Really varied combination of different strains. Also includes the soil organisms which are great for your colon.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
Everyday. With it, I can take a number of supplements and my stomach says happy. I use 'NOW brand 8 billion acidophilus....' The price is right and it works....
This is also what I use.

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
EvoMusue makes a great probiotic product. It has both probiotics and pre-biotics in it. It's a little pricey but I usually just wait for it to go on sale at NP.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
EvoMusue makes a great probiotic product. It has both probiotics and pre-biotics in it. It's a little pricey but I usually just wait for it to go on sale at NP.
Gut Health is a two month supply. I've always felt much better bathroom and digestion wise on it. It's one of our most popular products.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
NOW's version works pretty well, especially for the price but I like to get as many strains as I can. Garden of Life's RAW is pricey but one of the best I have tried. Dr. Ohira's is really potent and good to take after a round of antibiotics or major gut problem.

D

domore

Awards
The new and improved Gut Health™ contains the following probiotic strains along with their evinced associated benefits:

• Bacillus Coagulans: has been shown to decrease abdominal pain and bloating that’s associated with a high protein diet in the normal digestive process.
• Bacillus Subtilis: has been shown to stimulate and improve innate immune function improving overall systemic function.
• Lactobacillus Casei: has been shown to reduce lactose intolerance, enhance nutrient digestion and absorption, and reduce GI inflammatory factors.
• Streptococcus Thermophilae: has been shown to reduce GI inflammatory factors and have potent immunomodulatory and anticarcinogenic effects.
• Lactobacillus Plantarum: has been shown to promote protein absorption/ utilization and reduce GI inflammatory factors .
• Bifidobacterium Breve: has been shown to alleviate gas symptoms typical with high protein ingestion, reduce bloating, and have powerful immunomodulary effects. This is evinced by potent competitive exclusion properties of harmful bacteria such as E coli that can typically cause GI related distress and disease.

For all of you who are familiar with Jason Cholewa (his most recent study is the reason for the "All aboard the Betaine train" thread in the Advanced Discussion), he has an excellent write up on probiotics, health, and performance. Check it out: http://jasoncholewa.com/2012/07/22/considering-probiotics-for-health-and-performance/

There is one thing to remember. There are no commercially available probiotics you can take that continue to colonize the gut after supplementation stops. Whatever strains you take disappear within a couple weeks of discontinuation. The only thing you can do that seems to effect any permanent change in flora is fecal bacteriotherapy (enema with a healthier person's ****), which is looking extremely promising for a variety of disorders. So, continuous supplementation of a probiotic is needed to maintain that balance.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Gut Health is a two month supply. I've always felt much better bathroom and digestion wise on it. It's one of our most popular products.
Get it back in stock please :D

K

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There is one thing to remember. There are no commercially available probiotics you can take that continue to colonize the gut after supplementation stops. Whatever strains you take disappear within a couple weeks of discontinuation. The only thing you can do that seems to effect any permanent change in flora is fecal bacteriotherapy (enema with a healthier person's ****), which is looking extremely promising for a variety of disorders. So, continuous supplementation of a probiotic is needed to maintain that balance.
Yup, heard about that fecal transfusion on a microbiology podcast.

F

Frosty415

Awards
Only time I took them was on MP multis... Didn't feel a difference.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I was reading about fecal transplant 10-13 years ago when looking for treatments for my wife's ulcerative colitis. We didn't pursue it, but glad to see it's working and gaining momentum.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Get it back in stock please :D
Did not realize it was out! Dang hope Matt is getting that fixed asap. I think it's "out there" if one looks.

ahh123

ahh123

Awards
  • Established
Like this topic and suggestions of products to use.

I myself also have sensitive intestinal tract and a lot of normal stuff gives me diarrhea (like 2 apples or some fatty meals or a dressing on a salad), or upset stomach but never really thought about trying probiotics to maybe see if this will get fixed.

I see recommended products are now Gut Health and Garden of Life's Primal Defense Ultra which gets great reviews everywhere I look.

Has anybody took both products and can say which one is better?

For products that are top quality and work I don't care if they cost a bit more as long as they work and my body tolerate them - meaning they are as natural and free of bad chemicals as they can be.

I see entire Garden of Life line is amazing for a guy wanting to take raw and natural supplements.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
With GMO's possibly having an adverse effect on the GI tract and with research showing that a large portion of your immune system begins in your gut, probiotics are a great addition to any supplement regimen.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Hi kenpoengineer. I'd check out EvoMusue Gut Health. I have a history of GI issues and it's been a staple of mine for a few years (old and current versions). Another good option is Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra.
This... Evomuse Gut Health made by matt Pearson. Best on the market IMO

K

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Like this topic and suggestions of products to use.

I myself also have sensitive intestinal tract and a lot of normal stuff gives me diarrhea (like 2 apples or some fatty meals or a dressing on a salad), or upset stomach but never really thought about trying probiotics to maybe see if this will get fixed.

I see recommended products are now Gut Health and Garden of Life's Primal Defense Ultra which gets great reviews everywhere I look.

Has anybody took both products and can say which one is better?

For products that are top quality and work I don't care if they cost a bit more as long as they work and my body tolerate them - meaning they are as natural and free of bad chemicals as they can be.

I see entire Garden of Life line is amazing for a guy wanting to take raw and natural supplements.
Google the 216 ct bottle of Primal Defense Ultra. $47, damn good price and the product is strong as heck.

I'm not a raw and natural cheerleader, but that Primal Defense Ultra I tend to trust because 1) I've been using it for the longest 2) I have my mom use the stuff 3) the Primal Defense (original) I believe is the one that the consumer watchdogs tend to quality check and 4) it's 15 billion live cell count from 13 species including soil based plus they added some plants fiber to keep the organisms alive and nourished.

It's pretty comprehensive as that covers the bacteria in both you intestines as well as your colon. If your gut health is quite questionable, you may want to adhere to the dosing suggestions on the bottle and take it slow, because it could give you a pretty hardcore detoxification effect (aka squirts and flatulence).

Also, don't forget to get a decent amount of prebiotic fiber (veggies, fruits) in daily to keep that good GI bacteria healthy.

J

JD261985

Banned
Awards
Garden of life ultimate care probiotics or coconut kefir. All probiotics should require refrigeration. If they don't then don't buy it

K

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Garden of life ultimate care probiotics or coconut kefir. All probiotics should require refrigeration. If they don't then don't buy it
Not really. Room temperature is fine. Just don't leave the probiotics out in very warm/hot environments. Also depends on the quality of the probiotics. Remember, these things can survive your gut and your internal body temperature. Not that easy to kill.

J

JD261985

Banned
Awards
Not really. Room temperature is fine. Just don't leave the probiotics out in very warm/hot environments. Also depends on the quality of the probiotics. Remember, these things can survive your gut and your internal body temperature. Not that easy to kill.
If you want to keep believing that then go ahead. But that is not accurate at all

K

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you want to keep believing that then go ahead. But that is not accurate at all
That's the info which comes from Garden of Life. I don't know, should I take your word for it or should I take the word of the company that basically is most well known for probiotics? Hmmmmmm.

S

sideshowdoc

Awards
We know so little about probiotics especially in Vivo i think right now were essentially just pissing...errrr ****ting in the wind lol. In the next decade or two though I think well have a much better handle on the gi and microbio me in general and how to actually properly apply specific strains, etc.

Never hurts to use em though, unless they do cause any negative symptoms that is. I prefer kimchi, sauerkraut, cultured dairy, etc.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I was under the impression that the specific product KDD was talking about is freeze dried and shelf stable...while others like the 30-400billion cfu need to be refrigerated at all times bc they are not freeze dried.

What is the inside scoop?

B

bakerwil

Banned
Awards
Well I am using a NOW product (non refrigerated and really cheap). It first helped me (quickly) get through some stomach issues I had a couple of years ago. About 1.5 years ago when I started taking more and more supplements, let's say my stomach was not totally happy with what I was trying to put through it.
I got a bottle of the NOW and within a couple of days - I was back on track. I have not looked back - take it everyday. Lowcost Insurance. I do see much value in throwing away more money for probiotics (when I eat a healthy diet and am fit to start with) that could be better used for supplements...just my OP.

J

JD261985

Banned
Awards
Again..not here to argue...you can believe what you want. I have acid reflux disease I have researched my ass off trying to find the right combination of supplements, homeopathy and diet so that I can get off nexium. Which I have successfully done after being on it for three years. So if you think I'm just going off of hear say you are mistaken. If you're that invested use Google its not that difficult. I'm not going to look for studies and evidence and all that I'm on my phone

S

sideshowdoc

Awards
Again..not here to argue...you can believe what you want. I have acid reflux disease I have researched my ass off trying to find the right combination of supplements, homeopathy and diet so that I can get off nexium. Which I have successfully done after being on it for three years. So if you think I'm just going off of hear say you are mistaken. If you're that invested use Google its not that difficult. I'm not going to look for studies and evidence and all that I'm on my phone
D limonene, jarrows brand. Once a day. You'll thank me later.

B

bakerwil

Banned
Awards
Glad your feeling and found a natural way to help it along. Cheers...

ahh123

ahh123

Awards
  • Established
Google the 216 ct bottle of Primal Defense Ultra. $47, damn good price and the product is strong as heck.

I'm not a raw and natural cheerleader, but that Primal Defense Ultra I tend to trust because 1) I've been using it for the longest 2) I have my mom use the stuff 3) the Primal Defense (original) I believe is the one that the consumer watchdogs tend to quality check and 4) it's 15 billion live cell count from 13 species including soil based plus they added some plants fiber to keep the organisms alive and nourished.

It's pretty comprehensive as that covers the bacteria in both you intestines as well as your colon. If your gut health is quite questionable, you may want to adhere to the dosing suggestions on the bottle and take it slow, because it could give you a pretty hardcore detoxification effect (aka squirts and flatulence).

Also, don't forget to get a decent amount of prebiotic fiber (veggies, fruits) in daily to keep that good GI bacteria healthy.
Thx for your personal feedback.

Found this great pdf file at
http://www.worldgastroenterology.org/assets/export/userfiles/Probiotics_FINAL_20110116.pdf

go to page 21 and look at table 9 where they list evidence based probiotic strains.

Have to say almost all of this strains are in Primal Defense Ultra that doesn't need to be refrigerated so could be perfect for my 2-4 months trip exploring Asia staring around November.

Still heat in Asia will go up to 45C (100 Fahrenheit) so it might be true test if organisms remain active even if being inactive in dry freezed state inside the bottle.

Thanks to everybody and this great forum filled with awesome knowledge and feedbacks.

K

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was under the impression that the specific product KDD was talking about is freeze dried and shelf stable...while others like the 30-400billion cfu need to be refrigerated at all times bc they are not freeze dried.

What is the inside scoop?
I think all of Garden of Life's probiotics are ok sitting in a closet if I recall correctly. These things don't die that easily since they do have to survive your gut environment after all. That's at least what I hear Garden of Life saying, and it makes sense. Probiotics are made from fermentation (or, they are the reason for fermentation), last time I checked, you don't ferment most things in a fridge. You ferment things so that they don't need a fridge.

Honestly, I don't think they've ever done experiments on what's the best way to store these things. The biggest issue is with packaging. Many products say that hey have X numbe live organisms count but often a big part of that dies in the process of being packaged. I think Garden of Life guarantees the live count stated on the bottle.

For all those interested, there's a microbiology podcast on iTunes, it's pretty great listening when you have the time. All they talk about is the science of bacteria. No products talk, just pure science discussion on the topic of bacteria.

ahh123

ahh123

Awards
  • Established
I'm looking prices for garden of life Primal Defense ULTRA in UK and they all claim over $100 for 180 caps bottle when US sellers have it for around $40.

How can price difference be 150% when most supplement in UK cost usually around 60% more hmm?!?

If we'd say extra 20% is shipping from US to UK than another 20% for VAT and Uk seller wants to make 30% that's still only 70% extra BUT 150% more that's a rip off.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wanting to get off pharmaceuticals..very admirable.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Decided to try the Primal Defense Ultra. Thanks all. My goal is to stop or reduce a bloating condition with only my stomach area. I think it's a food allergy but thinking a digestion related one, hence the probiotics. I've been researching this issue for a while and decided to give probiotics a try first then start eliminating foods.

K

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Decided to try the Primal Defense Ultra. Thanks all. My goal is to stop or reduce a bloating condition with only my stomach area. I think it's a food allergy but thinking a digestion related one, hence the probiotics. I've been researching this issue for a while and decided to give probiotics a try first then start eliminating foods.
Good choice broski. Don't forget your veggies and fruits for the fiber.

M

Mryan1

Awards
Ultimate Flora pills are a solid one a day probiotic as is Bio-K which is a quick drink/shot of probiotic infusion. Also inner-echo is a natural probiotic coconut kefir drink, good to have in the fridge and take a swag twice a day with meals.

Mack411

Mack411

Awards
Evomuse Gut Health without a doubt,it is a staple for me!

ahh123

ahh123

Awards
  • Established
Well, I ordered Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra 90 caps and should get it on Monday.

You living in US are so lucky not having to pay 20% VAT like we do in EU and now even UK sellers have to add 12.5% UK tax on any product so we Europeans are paying double price compared to US clients.

Wanted to test this probiotic so choose to order from UK to get it in a week - compared ordering from US that take up to a month so next time I'm probably ordering from US.

If this product won't work amazing on me then I'm willing to try Gut Health.

K

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well, I ordered Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra 90 caps and should get it on Monday.

You living in US are so lucky not having to pay 20% VAT like we do in EU and now even UK sellers have to add 12.5% UK tax on any product so we Europeans are paying double price compared to US clients.

Wanted to test this probiotic so choose to order from UK to get it in a week - compared ordering from US that take up to a month so next time I'm probably ordering from US.

If this product won't work amazing on me then I'm willing to try Gut Health.
Wow. Shockingly expensive for you guys. Lol.