Coop's Corner #4: Alpha-2 Antagonism? Yes Please.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last
  1. Post Coop's Corner #4: Alpha-2 Antagonism? Yes Please.


    As many of you may already know, alpha-2-antagonists are simply compounds that antagonize the alpha-2-adrenoreceptor. The most popular ones are yohimbine, rauwolscine, and a variety of yohimbe alkaloids.

    These 3 categories of alpha-2-antagonist each possess a unique goal-specific attribute, but before we delve into specifics, let's look at how effective these compounds are for fat loss.

    The relevant research on this topic shows that yohimbine is extremely effective for fat loss.

    Yohimbine: the effects on body compos... [Res Sports Med. 2006 Oct-Dec] - PubMed - NCBI

    The researchers didn't just use anyone. They used lean athletes. How lean? Both groups started at roughly 9% bodyfat. To put that in perspective:



    So these guys are shredded. And they're active, so they probably have a good deal of LBM. After 21 days of yohimbine supplementation, placebo remained unchanged but the yohimbine group lost about 2% bodyfat, taking them all the way to 7% BF. No significant changes in muscle mass or performance were noted.

    So:

    3 weeks of Yohimbine supplementation caused a 2% reduction in bodyfat from an already shredded baseline of 9% BF, all the while preserving muscle mass and strength/endurance.


    To put this in perspective, again refer to the bodyfat chart. These athletes went from the far right image to the middle image in 3 weeks, without major changes to diet or exercise regimens. That's extremely impressive.



    So which form of yohimbine is best? That'll depend on your goals.

    Yohimbine possess extreme affinity for the alpha-2-adrenoreceptor, but due to receptor homology with various 5-HT receptors, yohimbine HCl is highly anxiogenic and is clinically used to model panic disorder. The effective dose is 0.2mg/kg in isolation. If you combine any of these alpha 2 antagonists with caffeine or beta-agonists (aka synergists), the necessary dose decreases quite a bit.

    Rauwolscine lacks significant activity at the 5HT receptors, but it has its own issues. It's less potent than yohimbine, requiring a markedly higher dose to elicit the same effects. Furthermore, it's partially adrenolytic, as it is less selective than yohimbine on the adrenergic system, partially antagonizing alpha-1- adrenoreceptors.

    And then we have the various yohimbe alkaloids like 11-OH yohimbine, that are alpha-2-antagonists (not to be confused with a broad-spectrum extract of alkaloids). These compounds act similarly to yohimbine for fat loss but seem to promote a feel-good energy as well. They also have significantly longer half-lives than either yohimbine or rauwolscine, making them a great choice earlier in the day.

    So which one works best? It's goal-specific. The most effective for fat loss will be yohimbine or yohimbe alkaloids. The most effective for someone prone to anxiety will be rauwolscine or yohimbe alkaloids (if you have anxiety disorder, you should not be using any of these).

    What works best with alpha-2-antagonists? Well here's a brief physiology lesson. The alpha-2 receptor is an autoreceptor, meaning it is located NOT on the postsynaptic neuron chiefly, but on the pre-synaptic neuron. It acts to PREVENT further release of fat burning catecholamines: this is why we want to antagonize (inhibit) it. It's thought that stubborn fat is particularly rich in these alpha-2-receptors, hence why fat loss is always inhibited in these regions. For those seeking to lose stubborn fat, alpha-2-antagonists are a great option.

    Alpha-2 antagonists synergize with anything that potentiates catecholamine release. This means caffeine, exercise, forskolin, and beta-agonists all work exceptionally well with alpha-2 antagonists. Furthermore, because alpha-2 antagonism can increase insulin release, these compounds are best taken fasted. A fasted state promotes the counter-regulatory cascade anyway (increased NE/E), so it's the perfect time to dose these, along with preworkout dosing.




    So, in summary:

    1. Yohimbine or Yohimbe alkaloids are the preferred choice for fat loss; rauwolscine or yohimbe alkaloids may be preferred if one is prone to anxiety.
    2. The recommended dose for yohimbine is 0.2mg/kg BW in isolation. If you take it with synergists, the dose needed is less. Rauwolscine needs a higher dose.
    3. These compounds have been found to be extremely effective for fat loss, even if you're already very lean and borderline-contest ready. There is also a considerable body of data showing they help with erections. If there's one supplement to consume orally for stubborn fat loss, it's an alpha 2 antagonist.
    4. These compounds synergize with caffeine, exercise, forskolin, or beta-agonists. They should be dosed in a fasted state or prior to exercise for maximum results.
    5. Recommended products:

    a. PES Alphamine
    B. iForce Dexaprine XR
    c. ECY (use extreme caution)
    d. PES Alpha-T2
    e. OxyElite Pro with Purple Top
    f. PES Enhanced
    g. Muscletech Hydroxystim
    h. Athletix Acute FX

    *Yohimbine should be avoided in concert with Tyrosine or in those diagnosed with anxiety disorder.


  2. This is awesome info
    •   
       


  3. Coop these are awesome.

  4. I want to be like cooper when I grow up
    HIGH VOLUME - Supreme Stim-Free Nitric Oxide Matrix
    SELECT Protein
    - Ultra-Premium Blend
    ALPHAMINE - Thermogenics...Redefined

  5. Very informative post, thanks Coop! I can attest to the significant fat loss effects that alpha-2-antagonists have in already lean individuals. Im fairly lean right now myself and at 2 weeks in with alphamine I continue to get leaner
    •   
       


  6. Hey Coop,

    Are there any other alpha-2 antagonists besides rauwolscine or yohimbe? I can't tolerate either. 1/2 a scoop of PES Enhanced makes my stomach upset and gives me the shakes.
    William Llewellyn's Anabolics, Underground Anabolics, and SSRG ebook editions!

  7. Thanks everyone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Patuba View Post
    Hey Coop,

    Are there any other alpha-2 antagonists besides rauwolscine or yohimbe? I can't tolerate either. 1/2 a scoop of PES Enhanced makes my stomach upset and gives me the shakes.
    Unfortunately, some users will experience these effects from alpha-2 antagonists due to excessive adrenergic stimulation. It won't matter which alpha-2 antagonist you use, the story will be the same. Your only real hope is the tolerance that develops with continued use. There's evidence that the adrenergic effects diminish with time while lipolysis actually stays constant

  8. Thanks for the info. I can tolerate ephedrine fine, just not alpha 2 antagonists. I might attempt to slowly build a tolerance.
    William Llewellyn's Anabolics, Underground Anabolics, and SSRG ebook editions!

  9. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Thanks everyone.



    Unfortunately, some users will experience these effects from alpha-2 antagonists due to excessive adrenergic stimulation. It won't matter which alpha-2 antagonist you use, the story will be the same. Your only real hope is the tolerance that develops with continued use. There's evidence that the adrenergic effects diminish with time while lipolysis actually stays constant
    Bingo. I highly recommend people using yohimbine for the first time to start low, and assess tolerance before just going by the recommended dosage of 0.2mg/kg.
    Olympus Labs

  10. My body response very well to yohimbe.
    Rawsc on the other hand, can't take the stuff. Leaves me with terrible heartburn and upset stomach for hours.
    Use code "fl3x10" to get a free shirt with your purchase at Mind and Muscle

  11. Any thoughts on intramuscular injections of Yohimbine for greater results?

  12. Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Any thoughts on intramuscular injections of Yohimbine for greater results?
    I think it would be beyond stupid

  13. Nice write up coop. As always, great info
    Black Lion Representative
    I'm a Brooklyn boy I may take some gettin' use to

  14. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post

    I think it would be beyond stupid
    How about the transdermal approach vs oral? As effective, more effective or less...?

  15. Quote Originally Posted by schizm View Post

    How about the transdermal approach vs oral? As effective, more effective or less...?
    Of course. Its what's in eviscerate topical by evomuse along with much more

  16. Quote Originally Posted by nattydisaster View Post
    I want to be like cooper when I grow up
    Me too.

    Loving these threads. This one was very well done and super easy to understand.
    PEScience Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com

  17. Quote Originally Posted by JD261985 View Post

    Of course. Its what's in eviscerate topical by evomuse along with much more
    Lol, yes I'm aware and really like evis/smolder, they are effective, but that doesn't mean they are as effective or better than oral yohimbine...

  18. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Thanks everyone.



    Unfortunately, some users will experience these effects from alpha-2 antagonists due to excessive adrenergic stimulation. It won't matter which alpha-2 antagonist you use, the story will be the same. Your only real hope is the tolerance that develops with continued use. There's evidence that the adrenergic effects diminish with time while lipolysis actually stays constant
    Intrigued...

  19. Hey Coop - great write up...Spot on and understandable!

    It was asked above...but are there other alpha-2 antagonists beyond yohimbine and related moieties that could do the same trick (even if perhaps slightly less efficaciously). Yohimbine is banned in Canada and most international countries...
    ANS Performance Rep
    www.ansperformance.com

    RITUAL * HIT * FORTITUDE * DIABLO * DILATE

  20. Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Any thoughts on intramuscular injections of Yohimbine for greater results?
    duchaine used to experiment with injecting yohimbine directly sub Q into stubborn fat pockets on women. as I recall he felt while it worked the process included several very small injections thus making the process quite tedious and a little painfull for the women.
    @ coop : what about a TD?
    BLACK LION RESEARCH
    HIGH POWER PERFORMANCE

  21. Quote Originally Posted by braco1 View Post
    Hey Coop - great write up...Spot on and understandable!

    It was asked above...but are there other alpha-2 antagonists beyond yohimbine and related moieties that could do the same trick (even if perhaps slightly less efficaciously). Yohimbine is banned in Canada and most international countries...
    Higenamine would be one albeit less potent when compared to yohimbine. The short half life and bioavailability are concerns however, Coop may know of more.

  22. Quote Originally Posted by xR1pp3Rx View Post
    duchaine used to experiment with injecting yohimbine directly sub Q into stubborn fat pockets on women. as I recall he felt while it worked the process included several very small injections thus making the process quite tedious and a little painfull for the women.
    @ coop : what about a TD?
    SubQ or TD may be effective. Intramuscular, conversely, would be a death sentence

  23. OEP Powder also?.

  24. Quote Originally Posted by xhrr View Post
    Higenamine would be one albeit less potent when compared to yohimbine. The short half life and bioavailability are concerns however, Coop may know of more.
    Coop's corner...now formulating international products for all interested companies!

  25. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Coop's corner...now formulating international products for all interested companies!
    Haha just become a mercenary formulator for whoever is interested in paying for your services.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Coop's Corner #1: Forskolin + B-agonists
    By mr.cooper69 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 306
    Last Post: 12-31-2016, 09:12 PM
  2. Coop's Corner #2: L-Norvaline?
    By mr.cooper69 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 05-30-2015, 12:29 AM
  3. Coop's Corner #3: So you want vascularity?
    By mr.cooper69 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 01-29-2014, 02:14 AM
  4. High volume yes please!
    By Nico1 in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-04-2012, 12:52 PM
  5. Sulbutiamine! Yes Please & Thank you!
    By Boatcop1 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-23-2012, 07:25 AM
Log in
Log in