6 ft 140 lbs need weight and muscle. new to this

jeremylt87

Awards
ok im 6ft tall @140lbs. My weight goal is 175-180lbs. I recently found a friend to help me at the gym since when I walk in the gym I am clueless as of what to do. Not to mention the fact that im bout to overcome the fear being embarrassed at my push weight. but I already know the embarrassments got to go. what im looking for is some info on what supplements I need to be taking. im a hard gainer and im looking for something to help increase my appetite. Just lookin for some good requests with some good results people have seen with my height and weight description. All help is highly appreciated

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
Start with getting a good diet together and get 4-6 good meals in a day. Get some protein supps, mass gainer and some creatine. Anabeta is good for an increase in appetite which might be good for you.
Good luck and make sure to eat!

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
most important is going to be literally how much calories u consume consistently. you want to grow? you gotta eat. a guy like u who is 140 and over 6 ft can likely stuff your face all day every day and not gain much ground. :(
you need to keep this in mind. for a guy like u, you ARE NOT eating enough until you are taking two big ole turds a day. just when you think you ate enough remember this rule of thumb. 2 big ole heaping steamers. no joke! eat your face off. if your serious about putting in the effort then place at least half your effort into eating enough. we see this all the time; a skinny dudebro who comes on here and says im eating 5000 calories a day and not gaining weight what do I do?? the answere is, and always will be, to EAT MORE FOOD!!! seriously supplements will not make you grow in the fashion you seek. just food and hard, hard work!.. if you want to use some great supplements to help you reach your goals look no further than companies like iForce who produce high quality supplements based on sound nutritional data and science. some things you will want are a good protein and some creatine as well as some high quality fish oil.
start there then come back with your other questions once your eating enough to make u crap twice a day. (I know this post isn't quite what u hoped to hear but its solid advice)

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
It comes down to tracking calories and getting on a consistent training regimen. Google for a total daily energy expenditure calculator, add 500 to it to gain.

murk01

murk01

Awards
At that weight its easy. Keep up with a good 3 day split routine and eat tons of steaks and carbs. Go for 5kcals aday.

Ur diet is got to be way off. Dont even worry about getting fat. And if that silly thought crosses ur mind bury it under a few slices of pizza

gmanall

Awards
How dose one know when they are starting out if they are a hardgainer? My advise is get on a solid workout and tract what you eat, start at 3000 calories and add 250 whenever you stall. Using supps when you first start out is not fun, your gonna grow super fast anyways wait till you need them.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
How dose one know when they are starting out if they are a hardgainer? My advise is get on a solid workout and tract what you eat, start at 3000 calories and add 250 whenever you stall. Using supps when you first start out is not fun, your gonna grow super fast anyways wait till you need them.
Under regular medical conditions (i.e., you're not hyperthyroidic), there's no such thing as a hard gainer.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Great advice so far! Just focus on the basics and eating more. And you're going to have to get past being embarrassed, but feeling that way initially is normal. A lot of the people in the gyms that I have been a member of have no idea what they are doing, which sadly sometimes includes the trainers! Your confidence will grow as well:)

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was 165 lbs at 6'5" before I discovered how short on calories I was every day.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
Agree with pretty much everyone on here. You can do nothing but just consume calories and lift some heavy weight. Good thing you have a friend becuase if it is a commercial gym, I would be worried about you getting any sort of a trainer. Most, not all, have no clue what they are doing or will just sit on you a machine over and over again.

I agree with not going crazy on supps right away, but a few things you can never go wrong on is making sure you are getting a quality multi vitamin and some fish oil. Also, if you find it hard to get the food down but need to keep adding calories I like to use iForce Protean. All flavors are delicious IMO.

Have you calculated a TDEE? That would help just to get a base line of where you are at.

Good luck!

laneanders

laneanders

Awards
Bulking is all about increasing caloric intake. The best way to do that is to eat a ton of food. Sometimes that can be difficult so supplements such as Protean need to be added. These are used to increase total caloric intake. You will have to continue to increase the amount of food and protein powder ingested until you start noticing an upward trend on the scale.

Try to limit your caloric expenditure to only weight training. The more you are active the more calories you will burn, thus the more calories you will have to ingest.

rphash49

Awards
I agreed with everyone here. Food and training are key.

If you need help in the appetite department take a look at anabeta by PES. When I'm on anabeta I literally feel as if I can't eat enough food. Even when I'm physically full I still want to eat.

fame126

fame126

Awards
  • Established
sorry to say but there really is no magic pill or powder thats goin to get u huge! like everyone before me said EAT MORE! one u get your diet right then add in the supps

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
At your size I wouldn't do any splits. You need a basic 5 X 5 full body program to start with, and as everyone else said, EAT!

Put on some mass, and then go for split routines.

LivingStrongE

Awards
If you are going to bulk brother make sure you do it right. I've done a dirty bulk and forget about it! I'm suffering extra cardio I have to do for my contest prep. Next year I will do a lean bulk. Just go on a calorie surplus and make sure you are taking enough protein, carbs and fats. I used Isotean at the end of my bulk and into my cutting since its a lean protein. COUNT! your macros. I use to think I was getting enough protein and I was way off. You might get alittle fat if done right but that's nothing. Good luck brother.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
At your size I wouldn't do any splits. You need a basic 5 X 5 full body program to start with, and as everyone else said, EAT!

Put on some mass, and then go for split routines.

why would a 5x5 give him mass? 5 rep range builds strength, not muscle.

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
why would a 5x5 give him mass? 5 rep range builds strength, not muscle.
A 5 X 5 program wouldn't give him any mass as a beginner? In my experience, strength equals muscle.

Granted, he would gain more pure mass from a high volume split.

I'm just saying a beginner should start out with a beginner program, not a body part split. However, that is my opinion ;)

Once he has built a base, a split would be more appropriate, IMO.

LivingStrongE

Awards
A 5 X 5 program wouldn't give him any mass as a beginner? In my experience, strength equals muscle.

I'm just saying a beginner should start out with a beginner program, not a body part split. However, that is my opinion ;)
When I started off training I always went with compound movements and from there I determined which days I train. I always kept my rep ranges from 15-10 and never failed me. Everyone is different though but compound movements was a great foundation IMO.

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
When I started off training I always went with compound movements and from there I determined which days I train. I always kept my rep ranges from 15-10 and never failed me. Everyone is different though but compound movements was a great foundation IMO.
Same here, except I used a 5 X 5 program. Now I am doing more volume and higher reps along with a strength based program (5/3/1 Bodybuilder).

Like you said, everyone is different, but I think compound movements are definitely the way to go for a beginner.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
My splits when I started was compound movements were ramped up to a 5 MTL and using that weight I would adjust how thebreps were done. For instance when I hit that 5 rep max which could take 5-6 sets I would then start a working set of 3 level partials or rep scheme of 5, 4, 3, 5, 4, 3 with short rest periods.

Sorry for spelling mistakes. Not easy using phone. Computer is down :-(

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Once he has built a base, a split would be more appropriate, IMO.
regardless of experience, lifting in the 5 rep range will build strength, but minimal hypertrophy.

lifting in the 8-12 rep range induces hypertrophy.

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
regardless of experience, lifting in the 5 rep range will build strength, but minimal hypertrophy.

lifting in the 8-12 rep range induces hypertrophy.
I'm aware of rep ranges, but thank you for pointing that out. :)

Anyway, as I said before, that's just my opinion. I started out trying to lose weight, and everyone is different.