Potassium Nitrate - how long can you take this s*$t?

bakerwil

Banned
Awards
Really enjoying PN!
How long can you take this stuff before a break?
Are there any known (problem) side affects?

Thanks for your input...

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Really enjoying PN!
How long can you take this stuff before a break?
Are there any known (problem) side affects?

Thanks for your input...
Id imagine 8 weeks would be the longest you would want to take it without a break. Maybe 12 at the longest.

Taking to much may cause low blood pressure, other than that i dont see any other problems.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
if you are only taking it 3-4 times per week you can probably take it as long as you like, provided you are not supplementing with other sources of nitrates. still though im not sure there is any reason to take it any more than 8 weeks on 4 weeks off type cycle. I have some past experience with various nitrates and found little if any change in my blood pressure even longer term. being that each individual is different, you should monitor yourself and see what works best for you and your wallet.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Dose dependent I would guess. Basically you wouldn't want to ingest too much in an X-amount of time. I don't really see why there would be a need to cycle it though. If you eat lots of fruit and lots of beets, you're technically getting a lot of nitrates through those foods and last time I checked, nobody really cycles their fruits and beets intake :p

dkgreene88

dkgreene88

Awards
  • Established
I've been taking the potassium nitrate by iForce for a little over 3 months now... No noticeable issues yet doubt there will be

LivingStrongE

Awards
if you are only taking it 3-4 times per week you can probably take it as long as you like, provided you are not supplementing with other sources of nitrates. still though im not sure there is any reason to take it any more than 8 weeks on 4 weeks off type cycle. I have some past experience with various nitrates and found little if any change in my blood pressure even longer term. being that each individual is different, you should monitor yourself and see what works best for you and your wallet.
This. I ran iForce potassium nitrate which was awesome. I ran it for 8 weeks and not a day after. Taking it though had me extra thirsty. I had to drink half a gallon extra of water per day but that's just me but I got great pumps from it though.

Clemenza

Awards
  • Established
This. I ran iForce potassium nitrate which was awesome. I ran it for 8 weeks and not a day after. Taking it though had me extra thirsty. I had to drink half a gallon extra of water per day but that's just me but I got great pumps from it though.
Any other sources of potassium nitrate other than iforce?

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Just google "food grade potassium nitrate".

Make sure you get enough vitamin C to tamp down nitrite free radical formation.

Clemenza

Awards
  • Established
Just google "food grade potassium nitrate".

Make sure you get enough vitamin C to tamp down nitrite free radical formation.
Nice thanks man. I use about 2g vitamin c daily

Clemenza

Awards
  • Established
What would happen if you ingested non food grade potassium nitrate? What makes one food grade and not the other? What chemical process does it go through?

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
It's a quality assurance. I wouldn't mess with non-food grade. It could contain heavy metals or what have you. When it's food grade, it's been tested to insure that it's safe for humans to consume...when it's non-food grade you have no such insurance.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
That suggestion about vitamin c is a good one. This really will help you counter act the PN. It's what I would suggest doing. I really think that you should consider stacking it with something else. Are you taking Creatine right now,?

mw1

mw1

Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's a quality assurance. I wouldn't mess with non-food grade. It could contain heavy metals or what have you. When it's food grade, it's been tested to insure that it's safe for humans to consume...when it's non-food grade you have no such insurance.
Don't think some Indian supplier wont sell non-food grade raws as food grade. Many companies just go by a suppliers' COA

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's the convenience of iForce's Potassium Nitrate - vit. C right in the same cap, can't get more co-ingested than that. :D
Maybe a suspension would providing a better form of co-ingesting? :p

uubiduu

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Arent nitrates toxic to a certain degree especially for babys?why shall they drink water with only little nitrate?ever heard of blue babys?hope my Q is not too much off topic

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Arent nitrates toxic to a certain degree especially for babys?why shall they drink water with only little nitrate?ever heard of blue babys?hope my Q is not too much off topic
I believe this is dose dependent.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
I would agree with the 8 week recommendation. Good to know about the vit-c, I was un aware of that.
Has already stated the iForce Potasium Nitrate has the vit-c already in it and with 120 caps in a bottle, that should easily last 8 weeks.

laneanders

laneanders

Awards
I have taken other forms of nitrates for months at a time, without cycling off of them. I imagine Potassium Nitrate would be no different, although if you are taking it every day it might be beneficial to take a break at some point. I typically use nitrates only on workout days and never on leg days. As has been mentioned the benefits of Vitamin C co-ingestion are significant with iForce's product that part has already been handled.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
no need to cycle off of it if you're only using it on workout days.

Let me know if you have any more questions :)

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
Gotta co-ingest it
^^ this. I think 500mg would even suffice but more wouldn't hurt for added anti-oxidant benefits.

Dietary supplement with vitamin C prevents nitrate tolerance.

coadministration of Vit-C and GTN fully maintained the GTN-induced changes in the orthostatic blood pressure, and the rise of a/b ratio was augmented by 310% for the duration of the test period. Changes in vascular tolerance in GTN-treated subjects were paralleled by upregulation of the activity of isolated platelets, which was also reversed by Vit-C administration. These findings demonstrate that dietary supplementation with Vit-C eliminates vascular tolerance and concomitant upregulation of ex vivo-washed platelet activity during long-term nonintermittent administration of GTN in humans.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A babies development and anatomy vary greatly to that of adults. I'm not sure how old of a baby you are talking about, but if you are talking about a newborn, they could still have a pda and I don't think you would really want to exacerbate that and create an environment of mixing between oxygenated and non oxygenated blood.

Aside from that, no clue what you are talking about.. but "Blue Baby." That is usually referred to in an infant with a cardiac defect like tetrology of falot where you can have a "Red Tet" or "Blue Tet," which is solely dependent on the presence of a pda and the hearts ability to pump oxygenated blood around the baby.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A babies development and anatomy vary greatly to that of adults. I'm not sure how old of a baby you are talking about, but if you are talking about a newborn, they could still have a pda and I don't think you would really want to exacerbate that and create an environment of mixing between oxygenated and non oxygenated blood.

Aside from that, no clue what you are talking about.. but "Blue Baby." That is usually referred to in an infant with a cardiac defect like tetrology of falot where you can have a "Red Tet" or "Blue Tet," which is solely dependent on the presence of a pda and the hearts ability to pump oxygenated blood around the baby.
Blue baby syndrome bro... high nitrate content is a no-no for the babies. I know you know this but that's the syndrome name he is specifically talking about.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
^^ this. I think 500mg would even suffice but more wouldn't hurt for added anti-oxidant benefits.

Dietary supplement with vitamin C prevents nitrate tolerance.

coadministration of Vit-C and GTN fully maintained the GTN-induced changes in the orthostatic blood pressure, and the rise of a/b ratio was augmented by 310% for the duration of the test period. Changes in vascular tolerance in GTN-treated subjects were paralleled by upregulation of the activity of isolated platelets, which was also reversed by Vit-C administration. These findings demonstrate that dietary supplementation with Vit-C eliminates vascular tolerance and concomitant upregulation of ex vivo-washed platelet activity during long-term nonintermittent administration of GTN in humans.
More than 500 pre or post actually could hurt

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Id imagine 8 weeks would be the longest you would want to take it without a break. Maybe 12 at the longest.

Taking to much may cause low blood pressure, other than that i dont see any other problems.
What's giving you better "pumps"? This or TAA caps?

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
Why do you agree?
I feel that for most supplements you can get "burned out" on them. Is this incorrect in thinking? I see as reading through what other people have said that yes this is in fact incorrect, but at the time when I agreed with 8 weeks, it is for that reason. To me it seems to be the "norm" or "standard" to cycle things for 8 weeks. But that is just my opinion on it.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I feel that for most supplements you can get "burned out" on them. Is this incorrect in thinking? I see as reading through what other people have said that yes this is in fact incorrect, but at the time when I agreed with 8 weeks, it is for that reason. To me it seems to be the "norm" or "standard" to cycle things for 8 weeks. But that is just my opinion on it.
Let me first preface my response to say (emphatically) that it is not my intent to offend you (or anyone) but to offer a more open minded, analytical and substantive perspective to just about everything you will hear (read) as hear-say on this board and every other out there. Although I am going to "quote" words and statements from your last post I am in no way looking to offend or attack you.

Physiologically is there any adverse or ill effects to running this indefinitely? If so where is the substantive data to support it?
Physiologically is there any beneficial or positive effect to running this indefinitely? If so where is the substantive data to support it?

I "feel", "what other people say", "it seems" to be the "norm" or 'standard" to "cycle things for 8 weeks" without substantive data to support it does not make it fact and is perpetuating misinformation.

mw1

mw1

Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Been using creatine nitrate and bcaa nitrate for quite some time now(1+ years) regularly and still love every work out with them:)
Actually its been longer than that since the first nitrate based product I used was ICE Plus

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I think as long as you dose it correctly you can come off it at anytime... I used it for two months with no problems at all. I usually cycle on and off of it.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Blue baby syndrome bro... high nitrate content is a no-no for the babies. I know you know this but that's the syndrome name he is specifically talking about.

Hmm.. I work in a Level 3B Neonatal ICU which is practically the highest level and have never in my life heard mention of "Blue Baby Syndrome." I'm wondering if it goes by something else unless I am having a massive brain fart. There are a plethora of conditions that can result in a blue baby aside from just acute hypoxia from respiratory origin so I am not sure of which condition this is specially referring to, but this is not a term referenced in NRP, Stable, or the Academy of Neonatal Nurses trainings which is the foundation of most NICU training and education; at least in my area.

I'll have to ask tomorrow some of our NNP's about this; good info!

Mike

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hmm.. I work in a Level 3B Neonatal ICU which is practically the highest level and have never in my life heard mention of "Blue Baby Syndrome." I'm wondering if it goes by something else unless I am having a massive brain fart. There are a plethora of conditions that can result in a blue baby aside from just acute hypoxia from respiratory origin so I am not sure of which condition this is specially referring to, but this is not a term referenced in NRP, Stable, or the Academy of Neonatal Nurses trainings which is the foundation of most NICU training and education; at least in my area.

I'll have to ask tomorrow some of our NNP's about this; good info!

Mike

Here ya go brother... if you want full text access hit me up tomo

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1638204/

doodv1

doodv1

Awards
Just finished a workout with White Flood reborn and iForce PN.. LAWWWD HAVE MERCY.

Saturday is chest day and I'm gonna stack 1 scoop of hemavol with those 2.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Let me first preface my response to say (emphatically) that it is not my intent to offend you (or anyone) but to offer a more open minded, analytical and substantive perspective to just about everything you will hear (read) as hear-say on this board and every other out there. Although I am going to "quote" words and statements from your last post I am in no way looking to offend or attack you.

Physiologically is there any adverse or ill effects to running this indefinitely? If so where is the substantive data to support it?
Physiologically is there any beneficial or positive effect to running this indefinitely? If so where is the substantive data to support it?

I "feel", "what other people say", "it seems" to be the "norm" or 'standard" to "cycle things for 8 weeks" without substantive data to support it does not make it fact and is perpetuating misinformation.
Excellent post. Nothing is clear cut. Some supplements even show a "sensitizing" effect...the effects actually increase with time (melatonin, ECA). The devil is in the details.

David, space out your BA dose. High bolus doses show increased urinary excretion of BA (bad) and histamine release (can impair breathing and cause tracheal constriction...mildly of course). With food, in spread doses, works best

veaderko

veaderko

Awards

No offense taken. I appologize if it seemed that I was offended. It has been a very long day at work and just coming out of a show I havent been to the gym and slowly adding carbs back in.

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
Vitamin C should be taken immediately with nitrates
I know that. I was referring to the remaining 1500 mg that the other poster said they take. Take 500 with the nitrates and the remaining spread out.. Vaughn was saying g that there are potential neg sides from mega dosing at once.

cjwav34

Awards
I've been ingesting 1g of KNO3 almost daily for months now and continue to have great results.

bakerwil

Banned
Awards
(6 caps Nutrigaurd / 500mg VC)
I found after loading for a couple of weeks - that it is only needed on workout days (3-4 days per week). For two weeks, I used it everyday and then for 2 more weeks, I used it only on workout days. My body reacted better to using it only on workout days.

cjwav34

Awards
(6 caps Nutrigaurd / 500mg VC)
I found after loading for a couple of weeks - that it is only needed on workout days (3-4 days per week). For two weeks, I used it everyday and then for 2 more weeks, I used it only on workout days. My body reacted better to using it only on workout days.
I wouldn't recommend going over 4 caps of that product.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Here ya go brother... if you want full text access hit me up tomo

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1638204/
Oooohh.. Well if you would have said methemoglobinemia than i would have understood lol srs. Typically we call in erythrocyte or generalized reductase deficiency, or diseased m hemaglobin. We are typically drawing arterial gases on these babies often. I want to say if i recall correctly, one of the first measures we take is initiation of vitamin c prior to exchange transfusions which just flat out suck doing; we dont deal with this all to often though.

The term blue baby is very misleading because these babies are usually gray, not blue. Blue blue blue babies are seen with emergent cardiac anomalies.

Good info tho, makes sense now!

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No offense taken. I appologize if it seemed that I was offended. It has been a very long day at work and just coming out of a show I havent been to the gym and slowly adding carbs back in.
No, it wasn't you. I too have days and try to be conscious of my tone.