What To Do About Fish Oil Burps

phoenixstrike

phoenixstrike

Awards
I always get them. They taste gross what can I do?

I try to take the fish oil everyday but it really messes with my stomach sometimes.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I highly recommend iForce fish oil its mint infused so you don't get those nasty fish burps. until then try taking them before a meal.

laneanders

laneanders

Awards
I would definitely go with iForce's Peppermint Fish Oil. Aside from that I have had similar problems in the past, and freezing them did help for a little while. They seem to be worse if taken without a meal.

blacklac

blacklac

Awards
I always take mine pre-bed. No burps. I used to get them occasionally if I took them during the day. I even played with dosing to try to reduce the burps. Before bed was the only way I didnt get them.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
as already mentioned, iForce fishoil is infused with peppermint extract to guarantee if you do burp, it tastes like chewing gum, not fish!

dkgreene88

dkgreene88

Awards
  • Established
Yeah definitely check out the iForce Fishoil infused with peppermint extract! Ive never had problems with fish burps but hey couldnt hurt!

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
OP, one or a combination of two things could be happening to cause your fish burps.

1) You gut flora may be off causing inefficient digestion of the fish oils leading to the fats oxidizing (which leads to the smell and the burps).
2) The quality of fish oil you are using may not be that great and could actually be rancid (which is essentially oxidized fats, which leads to point #1).

Either change brands to one that have shown to have a good track record or you may actually need some digestive help overall.

ddfox

ddfox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Are you using fish oil caps? Are you storing them in the refrig?

I had problems with some caps but never the liquid form.

I need to try the iForce fish oil.

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I use a liquid lemon flavored fish oil from VS, no issues...otherwise have used multiple bottles of CL's oximega with no fish burbs either...

smshannon001

smshannon001

Awards
  • Established
I think some brands are enteric coated . That may help

LivingStrongE

Awards
As they said above iForce Fishoil is awesome and the best part is that it has peppermint extract to clear those nasty burps.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
Agree with what is stated above. I too occasionally get the fish oil burps, and since switching to iForce they have happened a lot less, and when they do it doesn't taste like horrible fish oil.

UncleWade

UncleWade

Awards
  • Established
Another vote for iForce's Fish Oil.

When Vaughn mentioned we were making the change, I was extremely excited - and the first time I tried them, when a very clean mint taste replaced the sometimes awful fishy taste that is a hallmark of this niche, I was very happy.

500mg of EPA/DHA per cap and a very affordable price point also makes it a big win.

blacklac

blacklac

Awards
OP, one or a combination of two things could be happening to cause your fish burps.

1) You gut flora may be off causing inefficient digestion of the fish oils leading to the fats oxidizing (which leads to the smell and the burps).
2) The quality of fish oil you are using may not be that great and could actually be rancid (which is essentially oxidized fats, which leads to point #1).

Either change brands to one that have shown to have a good track record or you may actually need some digestive help overall.
Gut health is such a complicated beast it seems. :/

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Gut health is such a complicated beast it seems. :/
Yup. It certainly is. People would come up with a gajillion different "tricks" to prevent fish burps but at the end of the day, fish oil is oil that will be sitting in your gut digesting. If it sits for too long not being digested, it's going to go rancid. Omega-3's are after all unsaturated fats, unsaturated fats are the fats which easily oxidize and go rancid (reason why fish goes bad so quickly). So at the end of the day, if your gut environment is not efficient enough to digest the fats, the fats will go rancid and produce peroxides and you are inevitably going to burp up that gas.

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Make sure what ever fish oil cap you choose is enteric coated and in this case it would be best to take at night to prevent the fish burps throughout the day.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I second freezing the caps. Enteric coated helps as well but good points on the oxidation.

Clemenza

Awards
  • Established
Now ultra omega 3 are enteric coated and contain high amounts of epa and dha

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why burp fish when you can burp candy canes with i-force pepermint infused fish oil :)

Mike

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

Solid advice right here. Stab a fish oil capsule and smell it; if its rancid then theres your problem. If not, try another brand

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Solid advice right here. Stab a fish oil capsule and smell it; if its rancid then theres your problem. If not, try another brand
I like to open the ends and smell them then squeeze them into my mouth. So tasty

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I like to open the ends and smell them then squeeze them into my mouth. So tasty
Yummy lol. Drizzle it on a fish burger or something :D

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I use a liquid lemon flavored fish oil from VS, no issues...otherwise have used multiple bottles of CL's oximega with no fish burbs either...
Victoria's secret sells fish oils?