Cissus leaves me feeling sick - where now?

  1. Banned
    bakerwil's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    749
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    29
    Lv. Percent
    47.41%

    Cissus leaves me feeling sick - where now?


    From the last time I used Super Cissus, it leaves me feeling 'crappy', but I know it works if I can get through a bottle. I have tried as directed 2 caps, 2 x a day with food. I take a probiotic daily

    Any ideas on what I can do to get Cissus into me?
    Any alternatives?

  2. Diamond Member
    T-Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16,138
    Rep Power
    5148234
    Level
    96
    Lv. Percent
    10.81%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bakerwil View Post
    From the last time I used Super Cissus, it leaves me feeling 'crappy', but I know it works if I can get through a bottle. I have tried as directed 2 caps, 2 x a day with food. I take a probiotic daily

    Any ideas on what I can do to get Cissus into me?
    Any alternatives?

    What do mean by "Feeling Crappy"?. Why not try a different brand?. Or maybe start with 1 and 1 and raise the dosage in a week or two.
    S.N.S. Rep

    T-bone@seriousnutritionsolutions .com
  3. Senior Member
    Rhadam's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  196 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,661
    Rep Power
    345686
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    34.67%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bakerwil View Post
    From the last time I used Super Cissus, it leaves me feeling 'crappy', but I know it works if I can get through a bottle. I have tried as directed 2 caps, 2 x a day with food. I take a probiotic daily

    Any ideas on what I can do to get Cissus into me?
    Any alternatives?
    You can take caps and see if that helps. SNS offers 5% Cissus caps, best in the industry for joint/ligament health.
    ~ Serious Nutrition Solutions ~
    Revolutionizing Nutrition, AND your body!
    Rhadam [@] seriousnutritionsolutions.com
    •   
       

  4. Banned
    bakerwil's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    749
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    29
    Lv. Percent
    47.41%

    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    What do mean by "Feeling Crappy"?. Why not try a different brand?. Or maybe start with 1 and 1 and raise the dosage in a week or two.
    Sometimes their is some GI issues. Their is this overall feeling like when you have a bit of the flu and it last's for hours. Sometimes this is mild and sometimes it is more pronounced. This ends up leaving me feeling irritated, anti social etc. Just not worth it. I am using what is supposed to be the best capped product in the industry. I have tried starting with 1 and raising the dose after a week. I can feel the crappy feeling coming on at 1. At 2, it's way too much. However, I could really used some food for my joints....maybe I should SNS. I just think it may be Cissus in general. I guess I could try 1 twice a day, but I don't think I will get any results at this low dosage.
  5. Diamond Member
    T-Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16,138
    Rep Power
    5148234
    Level
    96
    Lv. Percent
    10.81%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    I believe Cissus can lower blood sugar. I'm not sure how much though and not sure if that is the problem you are having. Are you taking anything else that can also lower blood sugar?. Maybe try eating more immediately after you take it. Have a good solid meal, nothing light. I'm really not sure but it would be worth a try.
    S.N.S. Rep

    T-bone@seriousnutritionsolutions .com
  6. Banned
    bakerwil's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    749
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    29
    Lv. Percent
    47.41%

    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    I believe Cissus can lower blood sugar. I'm not sure how much though and not sure if that is the problem you are having. Are you taking anything else that can also lower blood sugar?. Maybe try eating more immediately after you take it. Have a good solid meal, nothing light. I'm really not sure but it would be worth a try.
    Thanks T-bone. I have been dieting. I will try using 1 when I am eating the biggest portions and then move to 2 if that works!
  7. Diamond Member
    T-Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16,138
    Rep Power
    5148234
    Level
    96
    Lv. Percent
    10.81%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bakerwil View Post
    Thanks T-bone. I have been dieting. I will try using 1 when I am eating the biggest portions and then move to 2 if that works!

    Cool. Let me know if it works out or not.
    S.N.S. Rep

    T-bone@seriousnutritionsolutions .com
  8. Diamond Member
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,546
    Rep Power
    6240280
    Level
    97
    Lv. Percent
    5.08%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Cissus doesn't reduce blood glucose, but it does increase plasma serotonin. Are you taking an SSRI?
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  9. Banned
    bakerwil's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    749
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    29
    Lv. Percent
    47.41%

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Cissus doesn't reduce blood glucose, but it does increase plasma serotonin. Are you taking an SSRI?
    I am in fact. Please tell me more...
  10. Diamond Member
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,546
    Rep Power
    6240280
    Level
    97
    Lv. Percent
    5.08%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bakerwil View Post
    I am in fact. Please tell me more...
    You may be experiencing serotonin syndrome, i.e. serotonin release elevated (via Cissus) while reuptake is blocked (via SSRI). I wouldn't combine the two...looks like Cissus isn't for you.
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  11. Banned
    JD261985's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,702
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    56.91%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post

    You may be experiencing serotonin syndrome, i.e. serotonin release elevated (via Cissus) while reuptake is blocked (via SSRI). I wouldn't combine the two...looks like Cissus isn't for you.
    Ok it could be a number of things though. I've been taking cissus for months and months and I take an SSRI
  12. Diamond Member
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,546
    Rep Power
    6240280
    Level
    97
    Lv. Percent
    5.08%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by JD261985 View Post
    Ok it could be a number of things though. I've been taking cissus for months and months and I take an SSRI
    Thats fine. Neurophysiology is highly variable interindividually. You are likely on different medication and a different dose too. Given everything OP posted, a drug-supplement interaction seems to be the most plausible explanation, although I can't say with certainty that its the reason
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  13. New Member
    McBurly's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    497
    Rep Power
    124546
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    38.51%

    would you advise those taking 5htp or a-y supps to avoid cissus for that reason?
  14. Diamond Member
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,546
    Rep Power
    6240280
    Level
    97
    Lv. Percent
    5.08%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by McBurly View Post
    would you advise those taking 5htp or a-y supps to avoid cissus for that reason?
    No, because those don't even hold a candle to an SSRI. 5HTP acts similarly to cissus as far as the endpoint is concerned (increased serotonin release), and a-y is actually a serotonin receptor blocker (anti-serotonergic), albeit very mildly.
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  15. Banned
    JD261985's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,702
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    56.91%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post

    Thats fine. Neurophysiology is highly variable interindividually. You are likely on different medication and a different dose too. Given everything OP posted, a drug-supplement interaction seems to be the most plausible explanation, although I can't say with certainty that its the reason
    Yea also length of time probably plays a role. I've been on this antidepressant since I was 12...I'm 27 now..yikes..I've tried to come off I just can't..its like my brain needs it now..if that makes any sense
  16. Diamond Member
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,546
    Rep Power
    6240280
    Level
    97
    Lv. Percent
    5.08%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by JD261985 View Post
    Yea also length of time probably plays a role. I've been on this antidepressant since I was 12...I'm 27 now..yikes..I've tried to come off I just can't..its like my brain needs it now..if that makes any sense
    As long as it keeps doing its job as far as keeping major depressive episodes at bay
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  17. Banned
    bakerwil's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    749
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    29
    Lv. Percent
    47.41%

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    You may be experiencing serotonin syndrome, i.e. serotonin release elevated (via Cissus) while reuptake is blocked (via SSRI). I wouldn't combine the two...looks like Cissus isn't for you.
    Mr. Cooper, what do you think would be the best alternative? I do take fish oil...
  18. Diamond Member
    T-Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16,138
    Rep Power
    5148234
    Level
    96
    Lv. Percent
    10.81%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Cissus doesn't reduce blood glucose, but it does increase plasma serotonin. Are you taking an SSRI?
    Sorry, just googled for the answer. What led me to believe that it does was this,

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1800848/

    Under the heading

    Conclusion

    CQR-300 (300 mg daily) and CORE (1028 mg daily) brought about significant reductions in weight and blood glucose levels, while decreasing serum lipids thus improving cardiovascular risk factors. The increase in plasma 5-HT and creatinine for both groups hypothesizes a mechanism of controlling appetite and promoting the increase of lean muscle mass by Cissus quadrangularis, thereby supporting the clinical data for weight loss and improving cardiovascular health.
    And also this,

    Reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes

    The number of people being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes has increased drastically in the past few years. Because cissus quadrangularis can help lower blood sugar, it can also reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes. Furthermore, cissus quadrangularis helps reduce the risk of this condition by helping promote weight loss. Type 2 diabetes is strongly correlated with obesity.
    -from http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-cissu...angularis.html

    Also this,

    Drug Interactions
    Cissus quadrangularis may interact with diabetes drugs, as it can lower blood sugar. If you take such drugs, talk to a health care provider before trying cissus quadrangularis. Using herbs that affect blood sugar along with drugs meant to control blood sugar including insulin, can increase your risk of becoming hypoglycemic, meaning your blood-sugar levels will fall too low, according to "The Essential Herb-Drug-Vitamin Interaction Guide," by George T. Grossberg and Barry Fox.
    From- http://www.livestrong.com/article/12...uadrangularis/
    S.N.S. Rep

    T-bone@seriousnutritionsolutions .com
  19. Diamond Member
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,546
    Rep Power
    6240280
    Level
    97
    Lv. Percent
    5.08%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post

    Sorry, just googled for the answer. What led me to believe that it does was this,

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1800848/

    Under the heading

    And also this,

    -from http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-cissu...angularis.html

    Also this,

    From- http://www.livestrong.com/article/12...uadrangularis/
    Tbone, the first link is showing how cissus improved parameters of metabolic syndrome by assisting with fat loss. The reduction in blood glucose is secondary to fat loss, not a GDA effect. The other two links are neither real sources nor accurate
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  20. Diamond Member
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,546
    Rep Power
    6240280
    Level
    97
    Lv. Percent
    5.08%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bakerwil View Post

    Mr. Cooper, what do you think would be the best alternative? I do take fish oil...
    I really enjoyed Antaeus Achilles which has a small amount of cissus. High dosed msm is another option
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  21. Diamond Member
    T-Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16,138
    Rep Power
    5148234
    Level
    96
    Lv. Percent
    10.81%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Tbone, the first link is showing how cissus improved parameters of metabolic syndrome by assisting with fat loss. The reduction in blood glucose is secondary to fat loss, not a GDA effect. The other two links are neither real sources nor accurate
    Thanks Coop. I was just wanting to explain why and how I came to the conclusion of believing cissus might lower blood glucose. I appreciate your help. Didn't mean to give wrong information to the OP, and am glad you took the time to help out.
    S.N.S. Rep

    T-bone@seriousnutritionsolutions .com
  22. Board Sponsor
    gymratluke's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    94
    Rep Power
    51571
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    55.11%

    I have never experienced any problems with Cissus personally, and I have taken it both empty stomach and with food. Lots of great info in this thread, I had no idea it messes with Serotonin release!
  23. Diamond Member
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,546
    Rep Power
    6240280
    Level
    97
    Lv. Percent
    5.08%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post

    Thanks Coop. I was just wanting to explain why and how I came to the conclusion of believing cissus might lower blood glucose. I appreciate your help. Didn't mean to give wrong information to the OP, and am glad you took the time to help out.
    T, your info wasn't wrong, it just needed further elaboration. I admire your drive to continually educate yourself and others
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  24. New Member
    PharmAnalyst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    204
    Rep Power
    288945
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    63.9%

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the purported antidiabetic effect is due to the presence of inhibitors of pancreatic lipase, alpha glucosidase, and alpha amylase similar in mechanism to acarbose/miglitol though not nearly as efficacious. Its very much not a hypoglycemic/GDA as Coop stated, but in theory should slow the rate of enzymatic digestion of consumed carbohydrates and therefore allow for a more effective insulin response.
  25. Diamond Member
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,546
    Rep Power
    6240280
    Level
    97
    Lv. Percent
    5.08%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by PharmAnalyst View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the purported antidiabetic effect is due to the presence of inhibitors of pancreatic lipase, alpha glucosidase, and alpha amylase similar in mechanism to acarbose/miglitol though not nearly as efficacious. Its very much not a hypoglycemic/GDA as Coop stated, but in theory should slow the rate of enzymatic digestion of consumed carbohydrates and therefore allow for a more effective insulin response.
    This is correct and one of the theories by which cissus suppresses appetite (lowered food intake) as per some of the weight loss trials. Of course, the rise in plasma serotonin is also consistent with appetite suppression
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  26. New Member
    PharmAnalyst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    204
    Rep Power
    288945
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    63.9%

    Makes sense to me.

    In the same vein as the earlier discussion about SSRI's being contraindicated, does Methyl Synephrine possess enough MAOI activity to be of similar concern when taken concurrently with Cissus?
  27. Diamond Member
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,546
    Rep Power
    6240280
    Level
    97
    Lv. Percent
    5.08%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by PharmAnalyst View Post
    Makes sense to me.

    In the same vein as the earlier discussion about SSRI's being contraindicated, does Methyl Synephrine possess enough MAOI activity to be of similar concern when taken concurrently with Cissus?
    I'd say no. The serotonergic effects of cissus really shouldn't be a deterrent to anyone who is combining a few supplements. When you throw something into the mix that has a massive, supraphysiological effect on synaptic serotonin levels (i.e. SSRI), it changes the picture a bit
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  28. Senior Member
    Clemenza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,412
    Rep Power
    557666
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    66.64%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Coop don't tannins promote glucose lowering effects?
    PES ALPHAMINE Log
    h ttp://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213082-pes-alphamine-log.html
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. asgt makes me feel sick
    By Gym4Life in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-29-2010, 01:47 PM
  2. HM GEAR - MAKES ME FEEL SICK ???
    By Test Educate in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-08-2005, 11:01 AM
  3. M1t makes me feel like ****
    By Zack in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-24-2004, 03:22 AM
  4. For those trying to PM me, my inbox is now empty....
    By windwords7 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-12-2003, 10:54 PM
  5. Low Estrogen got me really sick
    By pjorstad in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2003, 03:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in