BCAAs for powelifting?

  1. Registered User
    SoupNaziNazi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    282
    Answers
    0

    BCAAs for powelifting?


    I'm not a huge fan of stims or pw. Ill use them on occasion but my question is if I take bcaas during my workout will I maintain more of my "momentum" I guess u can say. After my first exercise I get significantly weaker. I guess I'm just asking if I sip on Bcaas during a workout will it keep me going at a decent pace instead of just dropping off the map?

  2. Registered User
    kissdadookie's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,740
    Answers
    0


    I find taking in carbs intra helps me out more in terms of endurance and power output moreso than BCAAs intra ever has. I take BCAAs more as a precaution since I train first thing in the morning.
  3. Registered User
    SoupNaziNazi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    282
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by kissdadookie View Post
    I find taking in carbs intra helps me out more in terms of endurance and power output moreso than BCAAs intra ever has. I take BCAAs more as a precaution since I train first thing in the morning.
    So like some maltodextrin powder?
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    kissdadookie's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,740
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by SoupNaziNazi View Post
    So like some maltodextrin powder?
    I went with dextrin. Supposedly has lower molecular weight so that it gets absorbed better, or so they say, could all be marketing though :P Maltodextrin probably works just as well.

    I'm using Glycofuse right now, that's just dextrin, probably derived from tapioca, along with some electrolytes. It tastes good and doesn't break the bank. Bulk dextrin would work just fine would be my guess.
  5. Registered User
    SoupNaziNazi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    282
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by kissdadookie View Post

    I went with dextrin. Supposedly has lower molecular weight so that it gets absorbed better, or so they say, could all be marketing though :P Maltodextrin probably works just as well.

    I'm using Glycofuse right now, that's just dextrin, probably derived from tapioca, along with some electrolytes. It tastes good and doesn't break the bank. Bulk dextrin would work just fine would be my guess.
    Ight bro beans thanks for the reply I've heard of carbs being directly related to strength so I might give it a try
  6. Registered User
    kissdadookie's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,740
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by SoupNaziNazi View Post
    Ight bro beans thanks for the reply I've heard of carbs being directly related to strength so I might give it a try
    Well, if you think about it, glycogen in muscle cells is just a form of stored energy to be used by muscles.
  7. Registered User
    Young Gotti's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,341
    Answers
    0


    i like bcaa's intra workout for endurance purposes....i have to say i never really noticed all that much until i stopped useing bcaa's and thats when i was really able to see the drop off

    i'm really interested in i force compete...proteins plus extras to really help with endurance
    I Force Anabolic Minion, Eat, Train, Grow
    Iforcenutrition.com
  8. Registered User
    kissdadookie's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,740
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Young Gotti View Post
    i like bcaa's intra workout for endurance purposes....i have to say i never really noticed all that much until i stopped useing bcaa's and thats when i was really able to see the drop off

    i'm really interested in i force compete...proteins plus extras to really help with endurance
    I enjoyed Compete, ran several tubs of it in a row. Great profile. It's blasphemous to say but I kind of grew tired of the Hemavol/Compete taste :P That's the reason I've stopped using Cor beta BCAAs and Compete in favour of Aminolast right now (Aminolast has a very very very light taste to it).

    I'm sure I'll pick Cor beta BCAAs and Compete back up when I grow tired of the Aminolast flavour.
  9. Registered User
    herderdude's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    5,454
    Answers
    1


    If you feel whooped after your main movement, then I would say you're putting the appropriate amount of effort into your main movement. I could see where BCAAs would help, but basically, max effort is max effort.

    Getting hit by a truck is going to feel like getting hit by a truck, no matter what preventative measures you take. Nomsayin? I'm not against supps, I just think that the number one thing that adds to your total is hard work over time. Assistance doesn't make or break your total.

    If you are so crushed that you're not doing any justice to your assistance, or you're not recovered by your next workout, then sure, supp up. But also work on your GPP.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
  10. Registered User
    SoupNaziNazi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    282
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    If you feel whooped after your main movement, then I would say you're putting the appropriate amount of effort into your main movement. I could see where BCAAs would help, but basically, max effort is max effort.

    Getting hit by a truck is going to feel like getting hit by a truck, no matter what preventative measures you take. Nomsayin? I'm not against supps, I just think that the number one thing that adds to your total is hard work over time. Assistance doesn't make or break your total.

    If you are so crushed that you're not doing any justice to your assistance, or you're not recovered by your next workout, then sure, supp up. But also work on your GPP.
    Yea I feel what ur saying. I am still making progress by the next sesh but I might try em out to see if there is a difference
  11. Registered User
    herderdude's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    5,454
    Answers
    1


    Quote Originally Posted by SoupNaziNazi View Post

    Yea I feel what ur saying. I am still making progress by the next sesh but I might try em out to see if there is a difference
    Do it up, man. Anything to get the edge and the next 5lbs.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
  12. Registered User
    kissdadookie's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,740
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    Do it up, man. Anything to get the edge and the next 5lbs.
    I can agree with this
  13. Registered User
    SoupNaziNazi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    282
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by kissdadookie View Post

    I can agree with this
    As can I thanks for the replies everyone!
  14. Registered User
    Young Gotti's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,341
    Answers
    0


    plus if you find a nice tasting intra workout....its better than a lot of the puke water taste you get from gym water fountain
    I Force Anabolic Minion, Eat, Train, Grow
    Iforcenutrition.com
  15. Registered User
    laneanders's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    888
    Answers
    0


    I drink Compete intra-workout and pre-workout for the carnitine and fast absorption protein. I love the Tangy Tangerine flavor. Amazeballs. For intra-carbs I go with grape juice.
  16. The BPS Rep
    jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,167
    Answers
    0


    Gatorade + MBCAA(+) is generally my go to brother.

    Just some type of carbs/BCAA blend.

    I'm using finaflex BCAA/SAA now without the carbs and am doing just fine that way.

    I've also used compete, which works great if you're willing to dish out a little extra for it.
    BPS Rep
    *All posts are solely the opinions of myself and do not reflect the opinions of BPS*
    www.bpsnutrition.net

    Subscribe to the BPS VIP List for inside information on new products, promos, and introductory offers!
  17. Registered User
    Sean1332's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    11,044
    Answers
    0


    Agreed with Jim. Dextrose + BCAA intra or immediately post. Gatorade specifically contains dextrose. Powerade is high fructose corn syrup. You can also get bulk dextrose for cheap
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  18. Registered User
    SoupNaziNazi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    282
    Answers
    0


    Thanks for the replies bro beans. I didn't even think of adding both of em, ill have to experiment.
  19. Registered User
    breezy11's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,220
    Answers
    0


    I agree with both Jim and Sean on the use of BCAAs and carbs (depending on current goals). Modern BCAA+ with Glycofuse (highly branched cyclic dextrin) is my preferred mix; however, I've used Gatorade (G2) powder, which works fine and will save you some cash.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  20. Registered User
    veaderko's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Age
    29
    Posts
    975
    Answers
    0


    I too use Tangy Tangerine Compete during my WO which works well for me. Though you could always add BCAA's to it and even Gatorade for some added carbs to help.
    iForce Nutrition Anabolics Minion Member
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate
    iForce Nutrition -www.iForceNutrition.com
  21. Registered User
    Bryancap77's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    196
    Answers
    0


    Compete ftw, tangy tangerine is my fav I stocked up a few months ago, I take 2 scoops a day. Doesn't hurt that it has 2.5g protein per scoop as well.
    Please like my bands page!
    https://www.facebook.com/PerspectivesOfficial
    Influences of Periphery, Animals as Leaders, Intervals, ADTR, etc...
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Best BCAA for Quantity/Price
    By Sean1332 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 07-26-2012, 11:40 AM
  2. A question BCAAs for you intelligent folk
    By saggy321 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-19-2010, 12:36 PM
  3. This is the correct way to take BCAAs for maximum results
    By dynomite in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 01-08-2008, 11:11 PM
  4. Effective BCAA + Glutamine for cutting
    By Bildo_21 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-16-2006, 07:45 PM
  5. bcaa vs. eaa for pre/during workout supplement?
    By biggun2181 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-13-2005, 07:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in