BCAAs for powelifting?

S

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
I'm not a huge fan of stims or pw. Ill use them on occasion but my question is if I take bcaas during my workout will I maintain more of my "momentum" I guess u can say. After my first exercise I get significantly weaker. I guess I'm just asking if I sip on Bcaas during a workout will it keep me going at a decent pace instead of just dropping off the map?

K

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I find taking in carbs intra helps me out more in terms of endurance and power output moreso than BCAAs intra ever has. I take BCAAs more as a precaution since I train first thing in the morning.

S

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
I find taking in carbs intra helps me out more in terms of endurance and power output moreso than BCAAs intra ever has. I take BCAAs more as a precaution since I train first thing in the morning.
So like some maltodextrin powder?

K

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So like some maltodextrin powder?
I went with dextrin. Supposedly has lower molecular weight so that it gets absorbed better, or so they say, could all be marketing though :p Maltodextrin probably works just as well.

I'm using Glycofuse right now, that's just dextrin, probably derived from tapioca, along with some electrolytes. It tastes good and doesn't break the bank. Bulk dextrin would work just fine would be my guess.

S

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
I went with dextrin. Supposedly has lower molecular weight so that it gets absorbed better, or so they say, could all be marketing though :p Maltodextrin probably works just as well.

I'm using Glycofuse right now, that's just dextrin, probably derived from tapioca, along with some electrolytes. It tastes good and doesn't break the bank. Bulk dextrin would work just fine would be my guess.
Ight bro beans thanks for the reply I've heard of carbs being directly related to strength so I might give it a try

K

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ight bro beans thanks for the reply I've heard of carbs being directly related to strength so I might give it a try
Well, if you think about it, glycogen in muscle cells is just a form of stored energy to be used by muscles. ;)

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i like bcaa's intra workout for endurance purposes....i have to say i never really noticed all that much until i stopped useing bcaa's and thats when i was really able to see the drop off

i'm really interested in i force compete...proteins plus extras to really help with endurance

K

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i like bcaa's intra workout for endurance purposes....i have to say i never really noticed all that much until i stopped useing bcaa's and thats when i was really able to see the drop off

i'm really interested in i force compete...proteins plus extras to really help with endurance
I enjoyed Compete, ran several tubs of it in a row. Great profile. It's blasphemous to say but I kind of grew tired of the Hemavol/Compete taste :p That's the reason I've stopped using Cor beta BCAAs and Compete in favour of Aminolast right now (Aminolast has a very very very light taste to it).

I'm sure I'll pick Cor beta BCAAs and Compete back up when I grow tired of the Aminolast flavour.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you feel whooped after your main movement, then I would say you're putting the appropriate amount of effort into your main movement. I could see where BCAAs would help, but basically, max effort is max effort.

Getting hit by a truck is going to feel like getting hit by a truck, no matter what preventative measures you take. Nomsayin? I'm not against supps, I just think that the number one thing that adds to your total is hard work over time. Assistance doesn't make or break your total.

If you are so crushed that you're not doing any justice to your assistance, or you're not recovered by your next workout, then sure, supp up. But also work on your GPP.

S

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
If you feel whooped after your main movement, then I would say you're putting the appropriate amount of effort into your main movement. I could see where BCAAs would help, but basically, max effort is max effort.

Getting hit by a truck is going to feel like getting hit by a truck, no matter what preventative measures you take. Nomsayin? I'm not against supps, I just think that the number one thing that adds to your total is hard work over time. Assistance doesn't make or break your total.

If you are so crushed that you're not doing any justice to your assistance, or you're not recovered by your next workout, then sure, supp up. But also work on your GPP.
Yea I feel what ur saying. I am still making progress by the next sesh but I might try em out to see if there is a difference

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yea I feel what ur saying. I am still making progress by the next sesh but I might try em out to see if there is a difference
Do it up, man. Anything to get the edge and the next 5lbs.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
plus if you find a nice tasting intra workout....its better than a lot of the puke water taste you get from gym water fountain

laneanders

laneanders

Awards
I drink Compete intra-workout and pre-workout for the carnitine and fast absorption protein. I love the Tangy Tangerine flavor. Amazeballs. For intra-carbs I go with grape juice.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Gatorade + MBCAA(+) is generally my go to brother.

Just some type of carbs/BCAA blend.

I'm using finaflex BCAA/SAA now without the carbs and am doing just fine that way.

I've also used compete, which works great if you're willing to dish out a little extra for it.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Agreed with Jim. Dextrose + BCAA intra or immediately post. Gatorade specifically contains dextrose. Powerade is high fructose corn syrup. You can also get bulk dextrose for cheap

S

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
Thanks for the replies bro beans. I didn't even think of adding both of em, ill have to experiment.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I agree with both Jim and Sean on the use of BCAAs and carbs (depending on current goals). Modern BCAA+ with Glycofuse (highly branched cyclic dextrin) is my preferred mix; however, I've used Gatorade (G2) powder, which works fine and will save you some cash.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
I too use Tangy Tangerine Compete during my WO which works well for me. Though you could always add BCAA's to it and even Gatorade for some added carbs to help.

Bryancap77

Bryancap77

Awards
  • Established
Compete ftw, tangy tangerine is my fav I stocked up a few months ago, I take 2 scoops a day. Doesn't hurt that it has 2.5g protein per scoop as well.