Incident at Supplement Store help

Hokutoshura

Awards
Can somebody re-align my brain for a second. I know a lot of people on here are much smarter than I am and maybe they can help my brain feel less fuzzy about something. I heard something so bad that I feel like I need to confirm that I'm not the one who's crazy.

I have a degree in nutrition, food science, and dietetics, worked for the industry for 2 years, worked in food manufacturing for 2 years, and read through these boards like I'm trying to finish a novel. Despite all that, I feel like what I've just experienced made me dumber.

I went to a certain nutrition store because they had a big 30% off everything sign outside that I thought would be advantageous to me. Sadly, I came away with nothing but a headache. The manager was working there and was talking to some customers. He insisted to them that "There are 5 forms of whey" and that if they wanted sugar free to go with isolate. That set off a red alarm. Isolate advice was sound, but 5 forms? Last I checked, there were only 3 (concentrate, isolate, and hydro) with agglomeration being a process and fractionization being another form of hydro.

He then set his sights on me as I wandered the store and asked about the 30% deal. I then asked him what the 5 forms were and he said "concentrate, isolate, hydro, casein.." he trailed off because he needed to answer the phone but didn't provide another answer when he got off the line.

Here's how the conversation went
Me- "Wait, isn't casein a different protein?"
Him- "No, it's whey. Trust me, I worked for Isopure as customer service, sales, and manufacturing. I've seen them manufacture the ion exchange protein at their facility."
Me- "Isn't casein separated from the whey as part of the process? I swear that casein is a different protein altogether."
Him- "Nope, it's the same. Just a different kind of whey."
Me- "I thought that from an allergenic standpoint some people couldn't drink casein because they're allergic but can drink pure whey because it doesn't contain the casein protein (which should be different)."
Him- "No. Trust me, I know how it works. Isopure got me a $50 textbook off of Amazon on dairy manufacturing and I memorized the whole thing."
Me- "OK, let me rephrase this. When you make cheese, curds separate from whey. Curds are casein, which coagulate, and whey is water soluble so it separates."
Him- "I know this. You're still wrong. I worked at Tillamook in manufacturing cheese as well."
Me- "That really worries me man..."
Him- "I hate to make you look bad but let's look it up" ::pulls out phone::
Me- "I found it. It says right here on Wikipedia that milk protein is separated into casein and lactalbumin."
Him- "Lactalbumin is that stuff in whey that biologically active. See? Whey is casein."
Me- "Lactalbumin is a label with 2 different forms. Beta and Alpha. Beta-lactalbumin is whey. A lot of people get that wrong because of the similar sounding names."
Him- "Look, I don't see why you're arguing with me on this. Casein is bad for you anyways. I wouldn't touch that stuff nor gluten which is just pure inflammation btw."
Me- "What's wrong with casein? I know lots of people that drink casein." (I didn't want to start up a gluten debate)
Him- "In my 10 years of body building, I've never heard of anyone wanting to drink casein nor getting results with it. Also, have you heard of leaky gut syndrome? Casein causes it!"
Me- "I don't think casein causes it. A lot of people drink it, and I've never had a problem with it."
Him- "YOU may not, but I swear that it's terrible for you."
Me- "You say so." ::start to walk out::
Him- "BTW, are you Patrick?"
Me- "Nope. But I know who you're talking about. He's a bit of an opinionated guy who ran another supplement store. Suggests products based on what he needs to sell and quotes incorrect science to make himself seem smarter."
Him- "yeah, that guy."
Me- "Have run into him a few times. Haven't bought a single thing he has ever recommended."
Him- "OK..."
::walk out::

I know that's a lot, but I feel like I just got mind assaulted.
Could someone clear up the protein issue?
Whether Isopure manufactures their own protein because as far as I know almost all companies get their protein from manufacturers.
Whether I'm right in my assumption that casein can't cause leaky gut but it can certainly exacerbate it which is NOT the same as causing it.
etc. etc. etc.

Thanks. If nothing else, putting it out there makes me feel a little less fuzzy.

Last edited:

kissdadookie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Dairy is what both whey and casein proteins are derived from. Milk proteins consist of 80:20 of casein:whey.