C

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Picked up some rhodiola extract to try and help relieve some cortisol and belly fat

image-1536441487.jpg

What would be the best dosing scheme for daily use. I've read mixed info when it comes to mg/day in regards to % extract ... Thanks

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
At that % extract 1-2 caps in the morning on an empty stomach. You'll probably have to experiment to find your sweet spot depending on your needs. Lower doses of RR are energizing, while higher doses are sedating...but that will depend on your sensitivity.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
At that % extract 1-2 caps in the morning on an empty stomach. You'll probably have to experiment to find your sweet spot depending on your needs. Lower doses of RR are energizing, while higher doses are sedating...but that will depend on your sensitivity.
I would do 2 cap pre workout. N watch endurance go up

C

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would do 2 cap pre workout. N watch endurance go up
Thanks to both

I was leaning towards one cap am (pre workout) and another with my last meal of the day close to bed

M

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
You're not gonna get the results you desire as rhodiola has no effect on belly fat, but use 2 caps daily, either together or split

M

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Rhodiola WILL NOT appreciably lower cortisol. Then again, ergobolic should also have had minimal effect since its adaptogen-based (optimizes levels rather than lowering them, per se)

C

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ched, I thought you had bad reactions to cortisol lowering products. Your ergobolic experience?.
Rhodiola WILL NOT appreciably lower cortisol. Then again, ergobolic should also have had minimal effect since its adaptogen-based (optimizes levels rather than lowering them, per se)
Well I've always had great results when using products with rhodiola.. I'm not sure wtf happened with ergobolic but yea I did not respond well. I know rhodiola does not illicit the same effect in me though. If anything, it'll just help with adrenal fatigue symptoms i hope.

I have an apt with a new endo to discuss and hopefully get se tests now that my low test has been fixed via a clomid restart.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You're not gonna get the results you desire as rhodiola has no effect on belly fat, but use 2 caps daily, either together or split
I notice a significant leaning effect when I mix it with a few other key herbs :). But that hit just gets expensive

C

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I notice a significant leaning effect when I mix it with a few other key herbs :). But that hit just gets expensive
Using it with c20, versa1, and AI perform at 2 caps a day for libido support. No hormonals, letting my test work for itself for a while.

Using ap, alcar, and agmatine as well as curcumin for support supps. Goal is lean bulk

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Using it with c20, versa1, and AI perform at 2 caps a day for libido support. No hormonals, letting my test work for itself for a while.

Using ap, alcar, and agmatine as well as curcumin for support supps. Goal is lean bulk
I like test powder a lot for my daa. Tropinol has been pretty good to me as well

I liked the c20 versa1 stack. Actually going to run it again. Not to do a shameless plug but have you looked at metabolic powder? Adding that in with increased calories can be your savior with adding pure lean mass and little adipose.

C

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I like test powder a lot for my daa. Tropinol has been pretty good to me as well

I liked the c20 versa1 stack. Actually going to run it again. Not to do a shameless plug but have you looked at metabolic powder? Adding that in with increased calories can be your savior with adding pure lean mass and little adipose.
Yep I got test powder on hand for the near future, treats me well. I like the mangosteen or whatever is in there leans me out!

I looked at the metabolic powder as I love rk, however, I'm not sure garcinia treats my stomach well... Handful of times I've used and get lots of distention and discomfort :(

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yep I got test powder on hand for the near future, treats me well. I like the mangosteen or whatever is in there leans me out!

I looked at the metabolic powder as I love rk, however, I'm not sure garcinia treats my stomach well... Handful of times I've used and get lots of distention and discomfort :(
That's interesting. I'm the opposite if I use to much I get constipated

M

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Well I've always had great results when using products with rhodiola.. I'm not sure wtf happened with ergobolic but yea I did not respond well. I know rhodiola does not illicit the same effect in me though. If anything, it'll just help with adrenal fatigue symptoms i hope.

I have an apt with a new endo to discuss and hopefully get se tests now that my low test has been fixed via a clomid restart.
If you have Addison's disease, you need hormone replacement therapy. Otherwise, adrenal fatigue isn't a real condition. Rhodiola simply improves mood secondary to sedative effects + has acute performance benefits

C

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you have Addison's disease, you need hormone replacement therapy. Otherwise, adrenal fatigue isn't a real condition. Rhodiola simply improves mood secondary to sedative effects + has acute performance benefits
Got it. Would be possible, given my history and the fact that I already have arthritis, one form of an auto immune disease. Making Addison's a likely culprit, no?

Although I am not experiencing weight loss, nor not really weight gain.. Just horrible recomposition of fat gain and loss roller coaster for no Identifiable reason whatsoever.
Whatever my issue, I'm
Willing to bet lots of $$ it's cortisol related since my thyroid numbers come back normal. Whether it is too low or too high cortisol is now the question.

M

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Got it. Would be possible, given my history and the fact that I already have arthritis, one form of an auto immune disease. Making Addison's a likely culprit, no?

Although I am not experiencing weight loss, nor not really weight gain.. Just horrible recomposition of fat gain and loss roller coaster for no Identifiable reason whatsoever.
Whatever my issue, I'm
Willing to bet lots of $$ it's cortisol related since my thyroid numbers come back normal. Whether it is too low or too high cortisol is now the question.
Have you talked to your physician? Honestly, with this level of pseudo-science, I'm worried you're gonna self-medicate for the wrong thing. One autoimmune disease definitely does not predispose to another...especially arthritis to addison's LOL. I also highly doubt it's cortisol unless you're truly overtraining

C

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Have you talked to your physician? Honestly, with this level of pseudo-science, I'm worried you're gonna self-medicate for the wrong thing. One autoimmune disease definitely does not predispose to another...especially arthritis to addison's LOL. I also highly doubt it's cortisol unless you're truly overtraining
I have but I can't get any more tests done til after I get hired (or not).

I over trained for soo long, and under ate. I think my ability to recover is just so bad after all the abuse I put my body through. It seems that the harder I train, the worse off I get. I'm not gonna medicate for anything else, was just curious about adding the rhodiola in as a band aid til I can get the proper tests done.

M

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I have but I can't get any more tests done til after I get hired (or not).

I over trained for soo long, and under ate. I think my ability to recover is just so bad after all the abuse I put my body through. It seems that the harder I train, the worse off I get. I'm not gonna medicate for anything else, was just curious about adding the rhodiola in as a band aid til I can get the proper tests done.
How is your training like now? Post up your weekly lifting + cardio, let's start there. Cals/protein/carbs/fat too

M

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
The answer is right in front of you. You are low carbing and low fatting. You have quite literally no good substrates for energy production. You have to learn from past mistakes man. You need to pretty much double your caloric intake, but doing so immediately may result in some rebound weight gain. Thus, focus on adding 50-100 calories a week (as pure carbs or carbs + fat) for a few months

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The answer is right in front of you. You are low carbing and low fatting. You have quite literally no good substrates for energy production. You have to learn from past mistakes man. You need to pretty much double your caloric intake, but doing so immediately may result in some rebound weight gain. Thus, focus on adding 50-100 calories a week (as pure carbs or carbs + fat) for a few months
Good post. Reverse dieting sucks but works

C

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yea I figured as much. Crazy bc it feels like I'm eating so much for real.. Pretty crazy stuff man. You always steer me in the right direction tho!

M

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
Yea I figured as much. Crazy bc it feels like I'm eating so much for real.. Pretty crazy stuff man. You always steer me in the right direction tho!
Getting a significant surplus of calories from primarily clean foods is a rather herculean task imo..An easy way to get a good balance of macros in a meal w/o feeling like a feast is to get a blended protein powder (1-2 scoops) milk (almond or regular whole milk) 1-2 tbsp EVOO, 2 tbsp natty pb.. +/-800 calories right there..

M

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
But as Coop said, you need to slowly work up your calories and let your metabolism acclimate itself, or else you will have some unwanted adipose accumulation.. Going from bulking to dieting is the opposite.. Cut cals immediately and take advantage of the revved up metabo..

M

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
And btw ched, I'm willing to bet your cortisol IS through the roof. This is because you have inadequate fat/carb intake, so your body must convert skeletal muscle protein to glucose via gluconeogenesis.

DO NOT attempt to reduce cortisol. This excess cortisol release is pretty much the only thing keeping you alive with that kind of radical diet. Without cortisol, you'd risk progressive neural decline

M

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
And btw ched, I'm willing to bet your cortisol IS through the roof. This is because you have inadequate fat/carb intake, so your body must convert skeletal muscle protein to glucose via gluconeogenesis.

DO NOT attempt to reduce cortisol. This excess cortisol release is pretty much the only thing keeping you alive with that kind of radical diet. Without cortisol, you'd risk progressive neural decline
^^ this big time

C

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

That sounds not good. So ill just keep adding cals like u said then.

C

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Picked up some Ezekiel bread to start having sandwiches instead of turkey n Swiss wrapped in lettuce lol

C

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Dear god man!
Majority of carbs were coming from brown rice, Greek yogurt, fruits and veg. Not many starchy carb sources which I'm assuming are needed for myself at this time..? But I cook everything with coconut oil and evoo.. Sometimes a little butter

M

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Majority of carbs were coming from brown rice, Greek yogurt, fruits and veg. Not many starchy carb sources which I'm assuming are needed for myself at this time..? But I cook everything with coconut oil and evoo.. Sometimes a little butter
I always found this funny: the dogma is to avoid starchy carbs. Starchy carbs ARE low GI carbs (brown rice is a starch FYI). By avoiding starchy carbs, you're left with what? Sugar.

C

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I always found this funny: the dogma is to avoid starchy carbs. Starchy carbs ARE low GI carbs (brown rice is a starch FYI). By avoiding starchy carbs, you're left with what? Sugar.
You Are entirely correct lol. I haven't had refined or fake sugar in years. But the fruit and dairy is definitely a big contributor. I go thru a pint of blueberries every day more or less. And about 2 cups of Greek yogurt a day is like 18 grams of sugar right there from dairy. U think that should be reduced and replaced w more low gi carbs?

M

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
You Are entirely correct lol. I haven't had refined or fake sugar in years. But the fruit and dairy is definitely a big contributor. I go thru a pint of blueberries every day more or less. And about 2 cups of Greek yogurt a day is like 18 grams of sugar right there from dairy. U think that should be reduced and replaced w more low gi carbs?
I think there's no difference. It's just funny that starches get this reputation, yet the most beneficial carbs you can eat are generally starches, health-wise (I'm not considering veggies as carbs because they're mostly fiber and water).

M

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
I'd keep the high GI carbs around your workout window or first thing in the morning when you'll be more insulin sensitive.

M

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I'd keep the high GI carbs around your workout window or first thing in the morning when you'll be more insulin sensitive.
This is false. Insulin sensitivity remains elevated in muscle tissue postworkout for as long as it takes for glycogen to be replenished, be it 1 hour or 10 days.

In the morning, fat tissue is more insulin sensitive too so it's a moot point

M

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
This is false. Insulin sensitivity remains elevated in muscle tissue postworkout for as long as it takes for glycogen to be replenished, be it 1 hour or 10 days.

In the morning, fat tissue is more insulin sensitive too so it's a moot point
Would it not be most beneficial to consume the carbs peri/post workout b/c of exercise induced glut 4 translocation?

I'd like some more info about the fat tissue sensitivity part. I was always under the impression that skeletal muscle would be the preferred storage compartment for fasted glucose.

M

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Would it not be most beneficial to consume the carbs peri/post workout b/c of exercise induced glut 4 translocation?

I'd like some more info about the fat tissue sensitivity part. I was always under the impression that skeletal muscle would be the preferred storage compartment for fasted glucose.
Glut4 is translocated in response to prior glycogen depletion. Timing is completely irrelevant.

Glucose cannot be stored in adipocytes, that's not its function in fat tissue...

M

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
Glut4 is translocated in response to prior glycogen depletion. Timing is completely irrelevant.

Glucose cannot be stored in adipocytes, that's not its function in fat tissue...
Thought we had glut 4 on both skeletal muscle and adipocytes

So its not necessarily a "muscular contraction" induced trans location. The rep-scheme and energy pathway utilized dictates it... It's more of a "this cell is depleted of glycogen and I need more" trans location

So the high-er repetition glycogen depleting workouts would facilitate the most insulin sensitive environment, yes?

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So the increased concentration of FFA's in the blood during a fast is the cause for impaired insulin sensitivity

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17285001
It specifically state insulin resistance in adipose tissue causes the high influx of FFA. I believe only a few ingredients result cause that naringenin being one of them.

I think it's only an excessive amount that will cause the problem with signaling pathway. Circulating triglycerides causes a host of different problems one of which is leptin resistance in the brain

M

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Thought we had glut 4 on both skeletal muscle and adipocytes

So its not necessarily a "muscular contraction" induced trans location. The rep-scheme and energy pathway utilized dictates it... It's more of a "this cell is depleted of glycogen and I need more" trans location

So the high-er repetition glycogen depleting workouts would facilitate the most insulin sensitive environment, yes?
Glut 4 is a glucose transporter, not a storage mechanism.

Yes, glycogen status determines skeletal muscle insulin sensitivity.

It's not about reps, it's about total workload in the range of glycogenolysis/glycolysis

M

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
Glut 4 is a glucose transporter, not a storage mechanism.

Yes, glycogen status determines skeletal muscle insulin sensitivity.

It's not about reps, it's about total workload in the range of glycogenolysis/glycolysis
Okay that makes sense

gymratluke

gymratluke

Board Sponsor
Awards
To the OP, assuming you have gotten your diet in check and gotten to an adequate cal intake, I would try AX's Lean Fx if you want to try and lower cortisol levels. I have used Rhodiola, I take it for the calming effects, but like others have said, it doesnt do anything to lower cortisol levels

M

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
To the OP, assuming you have gotten your diet in check and gotten to an adequate cal intake, I would try AX's Lean Fx if you want to try and lower cortisol levels. I have used Rhodiola, I take it for the calming effects, but like others have said, it doesnt do anything to lower cortisol levels
Please re-read the thread before making a brash suggestion. Lowering cortisol is the last thing OP wants to do. Also, this is the science section.

gymratluke

gymratluke

Board Sponsor
Awards
Please re-read the thread before making a brash suggestion. Lowering cortisol is the last thing OP wants to do. Also, this is the science section.
Its the last thing he wants to do when on a low carb low fat diet...correct. Once his diet is in check, what would the problem be with lowering Cortisol levels??