Bulletproof MCT Coffee mixture?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A guy at my work practices Paleo and does that with his coffee. He maintains a lean physique year round. Not sure how much of that is contributed to the coffee though. A couple other guys I know did the Paleo route to drop weight, and they did the buttered coffee with it, and dropped weight fast. It was probably all water weight though.

Let us know how your ruined coffee is!!

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Intersting theory behind it though. I can ruin one of my 3 cups...:D

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thats disgusting.

xhrr

Awards
A guy at my work practices Paleo and does that with his coffee. He maintains a lean physique year round. Not sure how much of that is contributed to the coffee though. A couple other guys I know did the Paleo route to drop weight, and they did the buttered coffee with it, and dropped weight fast. It was probably all water weight though.

Let us know how your ruined coffee is!!
what?

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Heres the guy on joe rogans show. Pretty interesting. Start at the 15 minute mark.

blacklac

blacklac

Awards
Interesting. I have heard of people taking a scoop of Coconut Oil first thing in the morning, but this is a whole new level. Not sure I could bring myself to butter my coffee though... Lol. Its probably alot better than it sounds though.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I heard its good because you use unsalted butter. Ill probably try it just to see.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
dave asprey is off the wall but i really like some of his ideas

my buddy tried the bulletproof coffee and loved it, compared it to adderall, i sort of find that hard to believe, i've been adding coconut oil to my coffee for awhile now but it's regular coffee and no butter.....the fats are supposed to kind of slow down the caffeine so it's a slow release of energy, but i'm mostly interested in the whole idea that most coffee has mold on it, even if i didn't mix the butter i want to see if i can tell a difference between his coffee beans and whatever brand i use

jdarkraget

Awards
I've been using it as my breakfast for the last few weeks.

1. it is pretty dang tasty .
2. I have noticed improved focus at work.
3.Third I have lost almost 20 lbs in the last month with the butter coffee being the majority of my morning meals. Take this with a huge grain of salt because I have changed ALOT of things diet/supplement wise.

I don't use the "bullet proof" brand coffee (prefer my trader joes), but I do use the kerrygold grass fed butter he suggests. I also opt for organic cocounut oil over mct oil. Everyone at work thought it was gross to put butter in coffee.....until they tried it.

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
I put MCT oil in my coffee, along with some double cream, cinnamon and vanilla sucrose drops. Very tasty. I also add an egg yolk or two as this emulsifies it all so you don't get that oil slick on top. :)

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I tried it this morning. I am WIRED....and I used half the dose on butter/MCT.

Touey

Touey

Awards

gokix811

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've been using it as my breakfast for the last few weeks.

1. it is pretty dang tasty .
2. I have noticed improved focus at work.
3.Third I have lost almost 20 lbs in the last month with the butter coffee being the majority of my morning meals. Take this with a huge grain of salt because I have changed ALOT of things diet/supplement wise.

I don't use the "bullet proof" brand coffee (prefer my trader joes), but I do use the kerrygold grass fed butter he suggests. I also opt for organic cocounut oil over mct oil. Everyone at work thought it was gross to put butter in coffee.....until they tried it.
I've been putting coconut oil in my coffee lately as well. It definitely took some getting used to at first, but it's almost second nature now. I may make the plunge to add butter to my coffee, after reading your post.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've been putting coconut oil in my coffee lately as well. It definitely took some getting used to at first, but it's almost second nature now. I may make the plunge to add butter to my coffee, after reading your post.
Went full bore. with mine. Bought a french press, added a bit more MCT oil. Best coffee ever and it gets your wired, but not jittery wired...just really alert and feeling good.

I used organic columbian freshly ground.

macdady

macdady

Awards
Went full bore. with mine. Bought a french press, added a bit more MCT oil. Best coffee ever and it gets your wired, but not jittery wired...just really alert and feeling good.

So it went well eh? I might try this now lol kinda peaked my interest here... though I'm hesitant to waste my beautiful butter haha

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah Im hooked. Going to try his coffee though in the french press. I have his Kcups which aren't that great compared to this. Have to use 2 cups to get anything...

But the Columbian, MCT oil and Kerrygold unsalted butter is a potent drink. Tastes great...

Where is that poison guy? I know he runs a coffee site...I'm sure he hates this guy now. :lol:

macdady

macdady

Awards
Sure does sound nice lol I think I might just use coconut oil though lol 25 bucks vs 4 bucks. I'm cheap, I wonder if it really does make a difference.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Hi mr.cooper69 , De__eB , Synapsin are you bro's there?

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I started with coconut oil.....just tastes different since the MCT oil has no taste.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Make sure you use a blender or magic bullet or something....

macdady

macdady

Awards
Make sure you use a blender or magic bullet or something....
Damn lol my magic bullets I got back in the day finally died last month. I put those poor bastards through hell hahaha... just need to convince my wife that its a family must have lol

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
First thing that made me skeptical was his hyping of coffee toxin fears, when global production initiatives have been in place for a decade now that have reduced Ochratoxin A content of green coffee beans to a mere 1.3 ppb, further reduced by the roasting process.

If you eat ginger, raisins, or peanuts, you're probably consuming orders of magnitude more ochratoxin than you would from drinking a pot of typical coffee. Dietary consumption of ochratoxin has been extremely widely studied as a health concern.

Also, his coffee is pretty laughably expensive. You can get outstanding tasting Mayorga coffee for half the price.
Unsurprisingly, his MCT product is also laughably expensive, you can buy NOWs for around half the price.

--

Beyond the hype and shilling, yes combining stimulants with healthy fats will be a nice energy boost to start your day. Is this news?

macdady

macdady

Awards
First thing that made me skeptical was his hyping of coffee toxin fears, when global production initiatives have been in place for a decade now that have reduced Ochratoxin A content of green coffee beans to a mere 1.3 ppb, further reduced by the roasting process.If you eat ginger, raisins, or peanuts, you're probably consuming orders of magnitude more ochratoxin than you would from drinking a pot of typical coffee. Dietary consumption of ochratoxin has been extremely widely studied as a health concern.Also, his coffee is pretty laughably expensive. You can get outstanding tasting Mayorga coffee for half the price.Unsurprisingly, his MCT product is also laughably expensive, you can buy NOWs for around half the price.--Beyond the hype and shilling, yes combining stimulants with healthy fats will be a nice energy boost to start your day. Is this news?
Butter in my coffee? News to me lol... I've always been the guy to crew the beans and swish hot water in my mouth to make my coffee hahaha(I like my coffee black)

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
First thing that made me skeptical was his hyping of coffee toxin fears, when global production initiatives have been in place for a decade now that have reduced Ochratoxin A content of green coffee beans to a mere 1.3 ppb, further reduced by the roasting process.

If you eat ginger, raisins, or peanuts, you're probably consuming orders of magnitude more ochratoxin than you would from drinking a pot of typical coffee. Dietary consumption of ochratoxin has been extremely widely studied as a health concern.

Also, his coffee is pretty laughably expensive. You can get outstanding tasting Mayorga coffee for half the price.
Unsurprisingly, his MCT product is also laughably expensive, you can buy NOWs for around half the price.

--

Beyond the hype and shilling, yes combining stimulants with healthy fats will be a nice energy boost to start your day. Is this news?

To some, yes.

But I am encouraged at how he takes quality into consideration. I would think you would be in favor of that.

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
To some, yes.

But I am encouraged at how he takes quality into consideration. I would think you would be in favor of that.
I'm absolutely in favor of quality, but not when quality claims are being derived from invented non-issues as a justification for premium prices.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm absolutely in favor of quality, but not when quality claims are being derived from invented non-issues as a justification for premium prices.

In your mind. I tend to think everything isn't so black and white.

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In your mind. I tend to think everything isn't so black and white.
What is black and white is that average coffee ochratoxin content is 1.3 parts per billion.

The Tolerable daily limit of ochratoxin is set at 14ng/kg.

If you consumed a *pound* of average coffee per day you'd only consume around 56 ng of ochratoxin.

He doesn't even provide any numbers...how much toxin is in his low toxin coffee? Is he paying for parts per trillion testing on his coffee? That would be outlandish for a coffee product.

It absolutely reeks of hype and inventing non-issues as selling points.

macdady

macdady

Awards
Let's not get philosophical about buttered coffee now fellas lol

macdady

macdady

Awards
What is black and white is that average coffee ochratoxin content is 1.3 parts per billion.

If you consumed a *pound* of average coffee per day you'd only consume around 56 ng of ochratoxin.

He doesn't even provide any numbers...how much toxin is in his low toxin coffee? Is he paying for parts per trillion testing on his coffee? That would be outlandish for a coffee product.

I agree lol...

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established

Actually I believe he does quote numbers in articles and postings in his forum. And I believe his goal is to be mycotoxin free (or minimize as much as possible) in his diet along with a number of other substances overall, hence the claim to have zero in his coffee.

If you seem to think he is nothing but hype and just making it up to sell products, I could ask him to come on SHR and you could debate him on the subject.

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Actually I believe he does quote numbers in articles and postings in his forum. And I believe his goal is to be mycotoxin free in his diet along with a number of other substances overall, hence the claim to have zero in his coffee.

If you seem to think he is nothing but hype and just making it up to sell products, I could ask him to come on SHR and you could debate him on the subject.
I'm not saying he's making anything up. I'm saying that the issues he's raising

The issue more so comes down to 'why are we worried about this, and why should we pay more for this?'

Has he independently discovered some issue with mycotoxins that global health initiatives missed when setting their tolerable limits?

He also tries to authoritatively state that mycotoxin content is the direct cause of negative effects in some studies on coffee. What evidence does he have to support this?

He may very well have answered all of these questions, I don't have the time to search around the internet for all of the content he has posted, but these are just things that jump out to me instantly as giant red flags in the article and on his coffee product page.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
I heard its good because you use unsalted butter. Ill probably try it just to see.
Grass-fed as well - haven't tried adding butter yet though.

I've been adding coconut oil in my coffee & sometimes throwing back some MCT oil before a workout. My experience is that they actually do a pretty good job of slowing caffeine absorbtion. I can handle way less caffeine when taken in the presence of either MCT or coconut oil. MCT preworkout seems to make me sweat a bit harder as well. My diet hasn't been the best one to judge fatloss from lately, so can't really comment there.

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
He's definitely spot on about one thing, grass fed bovine products are definitely a beneficial way to go, there are significant fat composition differences between grass fed and corn fed dairy and meat products.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm not saying he's making anything up. I'm saying that the issues he's raising

The issue more so comes down to 'why are we worried about this, and why should we pay more for this?'

Has he independently discovered some issue with mycotoxins that global health initiatives missed when setting their tolerable limits?

He also tries to authoritatively state that mycotoxin content is the direct cause of negative effects in some studies on coffee. What evidence does he have to support this?

He may very well have answered all of these questions, I don't have the time to search around the internet for all of the content he has posted, but these are just things that jump out to me instantly as giant red flags in the article and on his coffee product page.
He does answer a lot of those questions on his site. In fact, he tells you what to look for if you don't buy his products so you get a more pure product.

His coffee fits into his whole diet and philosophy, but its the coffee that has received the most attention because most people will try that as opposed to changing your entire diet, which he recommends.

I know for one thing, the quality of coffee that has been put into the Kcups in the past 5 years has degraded substantially. You can almost taste the bitterness and metallic taste in some of them even using filtered water. The explosion of the keurig has IMO severely degraded the quality of coffee you get. Its actually why I started researching the subject and have since moved to a french press and real coffee. The Folgers, Maxwell House and kcups of the world IMO are pure ****...and given I have experienced what he has stated in terms physiological effects, I'll listen to what he has to say before I pass judgement on his agenda.

50 cents per cup of coffee isn't bad compared to Starbucks.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
I completely agree coffee has gone downhill in a lot of ways. French press is the only way I drink coffee unless I'm completely craving a cup and I'm on the road

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
He does answer a lot of those questions on his site. In fact, he tells you what to look for if you don't buy his products so you get a more pure product.

His coffee fits into his whole diet and philosophy, but its the coffee that has received the most attention because most people will try that as opposed to changing your entire diet, which he recommends.

I know for one thing, the quality of coffee that has been put into the Kcups in the past 5 years has degraded substantially. You can almost taste the bitterness and metallic taste in some of them even using filtered water. The explosion of the keurig has IMO severely degraded the quality of coffee you get. Its actually why I started researching the subject and have since moved to a french press and real coffee. The Folgers, Maxwell House and kcups of the world IMO are pure ****...and given I have experienced what he has stated in terms physiological effects, I'll listen to what he has to say before I pass judgement on his agenda.

50 cents per cup of coffee isn't bad compared to Starbucks.
Oh absolutely, If you're buying Folgers, Maxwell, or most of the Kcups brands, you're getting garbage coffee. Just buying pre-ground coffee at all is really costing you in quality.

Buy Mayorga, grind it fresh and use a french press, your palate and stomach will thank you. I try to tell anyone I see pouring tons of sugar and cream into their coffee that the issue isn't that coffee taste awful, it's that they're drinking awful coffee. Good coffee tastes incredible black.

A lot of my issue with people's writing is probably one of perspective. To me, it's obvious that the mass market coffee brands are junk, and it's redundant to try to use some of those points as selling points for a premium coffee.

His ultimate agendas are probably primarily to be healthy himself, and secondary to that, to make money off of his knowledge. Obviously he's going to sell his product by whatever perceived benefit possible to make it worth the price tag to his customers. His audience is also one that pretty regularly shows their willingness to pay a premium for perceived benefit.

blacklac

blacklac

Awards

Wait, did you try it the first time with a new brewing technique? French Press is known to be quite potent.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
Wait, did you try it the first time with a new brewing technique? French Press is known to be quite potent.
French press and percolator are the best (and probably most potent) brewing methods. I'm def going to have to try this whole MCT oil in my coffee thing. To think all these years I've just been throwing whey protein in my coffee.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
To think all these years I've just been throwing whey protein in my coffee.
Not gonna lie, tried that a few times... could've been better, could've been worse too...LOL

blacklac

blacklac

Awards
French press and percolator are the best (and probably most potent) brewing methods.
Vacuum brewers work very nicely also. :) Although, similar to Percolators, slightly different. But I'm no coffee guru... lol

gokix811

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
French press and percolator are the best (and probably most potent) brewing methods. I'm def going to have to try this whole MCT oil in my coffee thing. To think all these years I've just been throwing whey protein in my coffee.
Tried protein powder in coffee once. Ended up drinking gritty coffee because the protein powder wouldn't dissolve. :/