Best Joint/Tendon Supplement on the market?

xhrr

Awards
Have a lot of problems with patellar tendonitis. First MRI just showed inflammation and now I'm getting a second after a cortisone shot did nothing. In the mean time what would you consider the best supplement for joint health, singular ingredient or comprehensive supplement? Looking to take something to help and be preventative in the future.

I ice, use a rehband compression sleeve, foam roll, attend PT, and use ibuprofen at the moment as advised by the ortho but he had no idea on joint/tendon supplements and was wondering if any were worth while in some of the smarter individuals opinions. I have very limited knowledge in this area besides what the talking head of a doctor has told me for the last year while providing zero relief.

I'm guessing my next step is synvisc or surgery in the near future after the MRI.

LivingStrongE

Awards
iForce Joint help is excellent. Cissus Quadrangularis one of the ingredients have been used to heal broken bones, help out with tendon,ligament problems. I always stayed away from those cortisone shots which they wanted to use on my AC Joint. Talk to your doctor about surgery options if it's needed.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
I think fish oil is suppose to help with inflamation and joints. Sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. Though, I personally use fish oil and iForce Joint Help.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
iForce's product may be best for your situation, as paractin is a cox-2 inhibitor (anti-inflammatory). I also love joint force

xhrr

Awards
iForce Joint help is excellent. Cissus Quadrangularis one of the ingredients have been used to heal broken bones, help out with tendon,ligament problems. I always stayed away from those cortisone shots which they wanted to use on my AC Joint. Talk to your doctor about surgery options if it's needed.
Appreciate the suggestion I have used a bottle of Joint Help found it moderately effective. I think Synvisc will be my next step but surgery might be necessary since it has not responded to more conservative treatments. It is by far the most frustrating injury I have ever dealt with, it is starting to effect my quality of life and my job is as a crossfit instructor which my injury has prevented my from working out like I am accustomed to.

Any problems with increasing the dosage on Joint Force to maybe 3 servings a day? 2 helped somewhat but not an appreciable amount.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Appreciate the suggestion I have used a bottle of Joint Help found it moderately effective. I think Synvisc will be my next step but surgery might be necessary since it has not responded to more conservative treatments. It is by far the most frustrating injury I have ever dealt with, it is starting to effect my quality of life and my job is as a crossfit instructor which my injury has prevented my from working out like I am accustomed to.

Any problems with increasing the dosage on Joint Force to maybe 3 servings a day? 2 helped somewhat but not an appreciable amount.
COX-2 inhibitors have the potential for serious side effects...probably best to stick to the recommended dose

xhrr

Awards
COX-2 inhibitors have the potential for serious side effects...probably best to stick to the recommended dose
fair enough I guess bulk Cissus would be easier to add. For the curiosity in me what side effects? Same as nsaids?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
fair enough I guess bulk Cissus would be easier to add. For the curiosity in me what side effects? Same as nsaids?
Cardiovascular effects (PGI2 I believe). See vioxx

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards
Flexible joint formula by Formutech is plain amazing.

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
I've tried cissus, msm, celadrin, hyaluronic acid, and glucosamine & chondroitin all on solo runs and I must say cissus is by far the best and glucosamine and chondroitin would be second but after a while they don't work anymore. Cissus for the win

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I realize joint help has been recommended but do you ice religiously? also I have had great success with castor oil packs on the affected joints. it really helps draw out the inflammation and seems to lubricate the joints. for me when the **** gets tough I use the 3 pronged attack!
joint help/ ice (15 on 15 off as often as possible) and castor oil packs.

NADDANME

NADDANME

Awards
  • Established
Sorry to hear about that.

I been doing some research for a similar( runners knee) but less chronic issue I'm dealing with and have heard a lot of positive review/testimonials on E-pharms joint force. I'm hoping to try it soon if a few other thing don't work for me. Good luck let us know if anything ends up helping.

Colin

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Have a lot of problems with patellar tendonitis. First MRI just showed inflammation and now I'm getting a second after a cortisone shot did nothing. In the mean time what would you consider the best supplement for joint health, singular ingredient or comprehensive supplement? Looking to take something to help and be preventative in the future.

I ice, use a rehband compression sleeve, foam roll, attend PT, and use ibuprofen at the moment as advised by the ortho but he had no idea on joint/tendon supplements and was wondering if any were worth while in some of the smarter individuals opinions. I have very limited knowledge in this area besides what the talking head of a doctor has told me for the last year while providing zero relief.

I'm guessing my next step is synvisc or surgery in the near future after the MRI.
I would play it safe and just stick with MSM ,choindroiton and glucosamine.Get them in bulk powder form or buy them at a 1/2 price sale at Rite Aid or CVS,get the store brands.That'll save you at least $30 a month.

MSM at around 8 grams a day will probably do you the most good out of all 3.

I'd also get some Carlson's fish oil,take a tablespoon 2x a day with meals..It's a bit expensive but worth it as fish oil oxidizes much too easily.

Cissus has conflicting studies on it and it also lowers cortisol,which in itself can cause joint pain and discomfort.

gymratluke

gymratluke

Board Sponsor
Awards
The ultimate Joint/Tendon Stack would be Cissus, AX's Athletic Joint Repair, and Fishoil...but I would say the thing you need to do ASAP is seek out an ART(Active Release Therapy) practitioner, schedule 4 appointments, and go from there! Seriously, I thought I was gonna have to have surgery to repair a torn bicep tendon, nothing helped, then I was turned on to ART, after 5 sessions I was 100%, and Im still in disbelief of the magic that was done to my arm in such a short period of time!

domore

Awards
Since there is a copious amount of products being pushed (in this thread and others in the Advanced Discussion sub-forum), can we look at the literature for specific compounds?

Coop, are you fine with that?

To begin, let's take a look at these compounds since most have been mentioned in above products:

Cissus
MSM
Egg Shell Membrane
UC-II
Celadrin

gymratluke

gymratluke

Board Sponsor
Awards
I've already read some of Coops posts about Cissus, Id def love to hear his take on those last 4 ingredients!

mw1

mw1

Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would play it safe and just stick with MSM ,choindroiton and glucosamine.Get them in bulk powder form or buy them at a 1/2 price sale at Rite Aid or CVS,get the store brands.That'll save you at least $30 a month.

I'd also get some Carlson's fish oil,take a tablespoon 2x a day with meals..It's a bit expensive but worth it as fish oil oxidizes much too easily.

Cissus has conflicting studies on it and it also lowers cortisol,which in itself can cause joint pain and discomfort.
The level that Cissus lowers cortisol is very minimal ~ not enough to cause joint pain

Since there is a copious amount of products being pushed (in this thread and others in the Advanced Discussion sub-forum), can we look at the literature for specific compounds?

To begin, let's take a look at these compounds since most have been mentioned in above products:

Cissus
MSM
Egg Shell Membrane
UC-II
Celadrin
I like eggshell membrane a lot ~Great ingredient
Celadrin in the topical form is also great but not orally

xhrr

Awards
Sorry to hear about that.

I been doing some research for a similar( runners knee) but less chronic issue I'm dealing with and have heard a lot of positive review/testimonials on E-pharms joint force. I'm hoping to try it soon if a few other thing don't work for me. Good luck let us know if anything ends up helping.
Just finished a bottle of JF I have used 2 so far to no avail. I had high hopes for it too, MRI follow up is Thursday so hopefully I'll have some answers.

I've heard of buying MSM in bulk and mega dosing. Is there any negative side effects to a high dosage of MSM not really something I have delved into?

The ultimate Joint/Tendon Stack would be Cissus, AX's Athletic Joint Repair, and Fishoil...but I would say the thing you need to do ASAP is seek out an ART(Active Release Therapy) practitioner, schedule 4 appointments, and go from there! Seriously, I thought I was gonna have to have surgery to repair a torn bicep tendon, nothing helped, then I was turned on to ART, after 5 sessions I was 100%, and Im still in disbelief of the magic that was done to my arm in such a short period of time!
Will have to look into this ART, appreciate the suggestion.
I've already read some of Coops posts about Cissus, Id def love to hear his take on those last 4 ingredients!

Cissus
MSM
Egg Shell Membrane
UC-II
Celadrin
Yes and tell us more about the ingredient you claim to blow Cissus away that will be released in the near future.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards

MSM needn't be dosed so high.

Any triglyceride fish oil is protected from oxidation.

Cissus does not have a single study showing it reduces cortisol. It is a glucocorticoid antagonist in bone tissue, which means that it reduces resorption and helps bones heal.

Conversely, glucosamine and chondroitin have no good data demonstrating efficacy. This is the science section, meaning we are seeking to provide evidence-based suggestions, not the exact opposite.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards

Cissus
MSM
Egg Shell Membrane
UC-II
Celadrin
Mike's post is spot on for celadrin and biovaflex. MSM has decent data too...it even reduces soreness considerably. Haven't looked much into UC-II.

Even though this is the science section, I will recommend a product: Antaeus Achilles. One ingredient in particular has awesome data where longterm use is concerned

gymratluke

gymratluke

Board Sponsor
Awards
Mike's post is spot on for celadrin and biovaflex. MSM has decent data too...it even reduces soreness considerably. Haven't looked much into UC-II.

Even though this is the science section, I will recommend a product: Antaeus Achilles. One ingredient in particular has awesome data where longterm use is concerned
Which ingredient would that be??? Are you suggesting if someone wants a good Cissus product to go with this product in particular?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Which ingredient would that be??? Are you suggesting if someone wants a good Cissus product to go with this product in particular?
No, SNS or USPlabs cissus if cissus is what you want. Achilles has other unique tendon boosters. More of a tendon than joint supplement

domore

Awards
The level that Cissus lowers cortisol is very minimal ~ not enough to cause joint pain

Thanks, Mike.

What is the composition of eggshell membrane?

What data has shown that topical Celadrin is superior?

(At work, so I don't have the time to research)

If I remember correctly, you've used these two compounds previously.

No, SNS or USPlabs cissus if cissus is what you want. Achilles has other unique tendon boosters. More of a tendon than joint supplement
What are the compounds' exclusivity to tendons?

Let's take a look at the shoulder capsule and humeral articulation. For someone who experiences shoulder dislocations, the compounds in Achilles should be promising since the joint itself is protected from displacement by the tendons that surround it?

Lastly, does any data show growth versus preventative properties (i.e., cissus, albeit in bones, versus glucosamine)?

Colin

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What makes you say that?
Cissus certainly lowered my corrosion levels enough to induce joint pain and lethargy.both of which are inducituve that it lowers corrosion significantly.

laneanders

laneanders

Awards
iForce Joint Help has done more for my chronic elbow tendonitis than any other joint product on the market. Although for immediate relief I do like Joint Force, while Joint Help keeps it away. Fish Oil is a very nice addition as well for the anti-inflammatory effects.

Last edited:

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Perhaps I'm missing something, but as a mod in this section, I don't see a single deleted post in this thread

Colin

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
1. What the hell is corrosion levels? 2. This is anecdotal feedback.
Sorry,I was posting on my cell....auto select is a PITA.

It should read read as cortisol and not corrosion.

Did you even read my post? Cissus doesn't reduce cortisol, lmfao.
Yes,I read your post.

Cissus does in fact lower cortisol levels.There have been lengthy threads on this over on mindandmuscle and I'm quite sure that doing a query on Pubmed would indicate my statement to be true.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards

Yes,I read your post.

Cissus does in fact lower cortisol levels.There have been lengthy threads on this over on mindandmuscle and I'm quite sure that doing a query on Pubmed would indicate my statement to be true.
This is laughable..you are making a statement and think we'll just leave it at that. "Cissus does lower cortisol, trust me, someone said it on a forum!" No evidence exists, and I've read everything there is to read about cissus. This is your chance to prove me wrong and post a study. *silence*

mw1

mw1

Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Regardless I wouldnt use Cissus for any other purpose than joint/tendon issues. If I need a cortisol product I will go with Reduce xt and if I need a fat burning product then I will choose a product which the primarily function is fat burning :)

Colin

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
MSM needn't be dosed so high.

Any triglyceride fish oil is protected from oxidation.

Cissus does not have a single study showing it reduces cortisol. It is a glucocorticoid antagonist in bone tissue, which means that it reduces resorption and helps bones heal.

Conversely, glucosamine and chondroitin have no good data demonstrating efficacy. This is the science section, meaning we are seeking to provide evidence-based suggestions, not the exact opposite.
If you look over the meta analysis studies on glocosamine and choindroiton they,overall,indicate that the two are of some benefit and show promise.In the same breath,quite a few studies on either compound showed negligible results although I belive there is enough evidence to warrant their usage in athletes.

I did note that the original poster would see the most out of MSM as that is the big player of the 3.

It has been a while since I've looked into the research on cissus but I strongly remember USPLabs hyping it us something that lowered cortisol,good for bones tec...not that USPLabs does not have a liberal take on promoting their line.....Groan.

I did a search on Pubmed under and you are correct,I found nothing.My recollection was based on LLiorh's coments in this thread,which mirrors my experience with cissus.Call it n=1 (or n=2) but there is some interesting science driven discussion to be read here:

http://mindandmuscle.net/forum/21763-cissus-metabolc-syndrome

xhrr

Awards

Yes,I read your post.

I knew what you meant I was giving you a hard time but that is still just somebodies anecdotal feedback, he does not actually know if it lowered his cortisol levels as he is only speculating. Read the quoted post above yours.

Colin

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
As I have said,I have conceded that I was mistaken.

I have posted a link to multiple studies on cissus.

The one hit that I got off of Pubmed for cissus + cortisol was an abstract (with free full text) showing that cissus has some anti-histamine properties,which would not be good for the FED state as anti-histamines tend to increase hunger.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=cissus+quadrangularis+cortisol

I saw no mention of cortisol anywhere in the full text so as I said in my last post,I have conceded your point and I was simply mistaken.

I found your tone to be condescending and honestly,kind of dick-ish but my hat is off to you for your tenacity and willingness to participate in intelligent discussion.

One last bit of "anecdotal feedback" ...hehehe....regarding MSM.Marc McDougal of FitPort,published authour who knows his stuff,has stated that higher dosages of MSM can be used while rehabbing from an injury and such dosages are at least quadruple the amounts usually used.As you also noted,it plays a big part in relieving soreness,which in turn will allow one to hasten recovery through being able to exercise (rehab,that is) more frequently.

Cheers,mate.

domore

Awards
mr.cooper69

Is it possible to stimulate cartilage growth (for the lack of a better word)? Medical procedures and/or supplementation? Have any legitimate compounds shown this ability?

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established

Sorry if I missed it in the thread but how long have you had this issue? I have elbow tendonitis (started in December) and is just now really starting to get back to normal. I tried just about everything to make it better ice, aspirin, cissus, fish oil, stretching, elbow wraps, wrist braces, etc... Cissus and fish oil seem to help but I had to stop doing anything that hurt before I finally got to the point this passed month where I can actually do curls and tricep extensions again with decent weight.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
mr.cooper69

Is it possible to stimulate cartilage growth (for the lack of a better word)? Medical procedures and/or supplementation? Have any legitimate compounds shown this ability?
Definitely

mw1

mw1

Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sorry if I missed it in the thread but how long have you had this issue? I have elbow tendonitis (started in December) and is just now really starting to get back to normal. I tried just about everything to make it better ice, aspirin, cissus, fish oil, stretching, elbow wraps, wrist braces, etc... Cissus and fish oil seem to help but I had to stop doing anything that hurt before I finally got to the point this passed month where I can actually do curls and tricep extensions again with decent weight.
Elbow tendonitis is no fun at all and can certainly take MONTHS to fully recover from. Cissus will definitely help the process, but staying away from exercises that aggravate the condition is highly recommended.
About 6 years ago I had elbow tendonitis for about 9 months so I know your pain and frustration

xhrr

Awards
12+ months now. MRI follow up tomorrow so hopefully I'll get some answers. I was on prescription PK for two months and no lower body exercise except what I did at PT and it came right back after returning to activity. Cortisone shot did nothing so well see what the doctor says tomorrow. I'm pretty sure surgery is in my future.

Touey

Touey

Awards
Solgar® No 7
Solgar®

Solgar® No 7 is the next generation alternative after glucosamine that increases mobility, flexibility and range of motion in sensitive joints.*

The Solgar® No 7 Difference

• Advanced Bio-Active Nutrients
  • Targeted Mediators Balance and Temper Joint Enzymes*
  • Enables Joint’s Natural Ability to Flex and Cushion*
  • Increases Mobility and Range of Motion*
  • Shows Improvement in Joint Comfort within 7 Days*
Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 1 Vegetable Capsule
Amount Per Serving%DV
Vitamin C
(as Ester-C®, calcium ascorbate)
100 mg167%
5-Loxin Advanced™
(Boswellia serrata Extract [resin])
100 mg **
Turmeric Root 4:1 Extract
(Curcuma longa) (equivalent to 200 mg of root)
50 mg **
UC-II® Standardized Cartilage
(providing 10 mg Undenatured Type II Collagen)
40 mg **
White Willow Bark 5:1 Extract
(Salix alba [bark]) (equivalent to 175 mg of bark)
35 mg **
Ginger Root 4:1 Extract
(Zingiber officinale) (equivalent to 140 mg of root)
35 mg **
Pepper Spice Complex
Cayenne Powder (Capsicum annuum [fruit]), Bioperine®
(Black Pepper Extract (Piper nigrum [fruit])
27 mg **
**Daily Value (DV) not established

Other Ingredients:
Vegetable Cellulose, Silica, Vegetable Magnesium Stearate.
Free Of: Gluten, Wheat, Dairy, Soy, Yeast, Sugar, Sodium, Artificial Flavor, Sweetener, Preservatives and Color.

If you are pregnant, nursing, taking any medication or have a medical condition, please consult your healthcare practitioner before taking any dietary supplement. Avoid this product if you are allergic to aspirin. Discontinue use and consult your doctor if any adverse reactions occur. Not intended for use by persons under the age of 18. Keep out of reach of children. Store at room temperature. Do not use if outer bottle seal is missing or damaged.

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.

Black Mo

Black Mo

Awards
I put my daughter on Flexible Joint Formula after her second ACL surgery for several months straight. It made a big difference with the stiffness and soreness - especially the night and day after PT. The graft they used the second go round was the patellar tendon. She will from time to get flair ups with/or around her patellar so she starts taking Flexible again and it seems to clear things up.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
mr.cooper69

I haven't looked too much into it but remember reading that10g of supplemental collagen has been theorized as being able to increase endogenous synthesis

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I use NeoCell Type I and III collagen and it definitely makes a difference in both my joints and skin. You have to take it on an empty stomach though.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I haven't looked too much into it but remember reading that10g of supplemental collagen has been theorized as being able to increase endogenous synthesis
In the elderly. Biosynthesis shouldn't be compromised in the young