Artificial flavors, sweeteners, and synthetic colors

GD67

GD67

Awards
I'm looking for Whey and Casein Protein powder such as ON Natural 100% Casein/ Whey that is free of artificial flavors, sweeteners, and synthetic colors. I'm doing my best to avoid Aspartame, Sucralose, Sorbitol and Acesulfame Potassium so the artificial sweeteners is my biggest gripe with most every ingredient list. I'm a big fan of Stevia so that I'm fine with.

I prefer to supplement with Micellar Casein and ON is the only one that I've noticed so far.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
May I ask why you care to stay away from scientifically proven harmless sweeteners?

GD67

GD67

Awards
May I ask why you care to stay away from scientifically proven harmless sweeteners?
I can't agree with you. Aspartame causes my eyes to spasm, tested and proven to myself so that would be a great reason for me.

I didn't start this thread to debate the safety of these ...ahem, harmless sweeteners so please do not take it there.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I can't agree with you. Aspartame causes my eyes to spasm, tested and proven to myself so that would be a great reason for me.

I didn't start this thread to debate the safety of these ...ahem, harmless sweeteners so please do not take it there.
That's fine.. I jumped to the conclusion you were concerned about the safety. My bad.

Have you ever tried just straight up unflavored whey? I would assume it tastes horrible, but you could add maybe stevia and cinnamon and make it taste palatable.

rockme

rockme

Awards
Jay Robb makes a great organic WPI that I have used postworkout that is free of artificial ingredients. Lately I've been using Teras whey, which is an organic WPC and of grass fed origin. Good for you staying away from artificial ingredients. Aspartame and the like are horrible for the body and have been scientifically linked to a host of ailments.

GD67

GD67

Awards
That's fine.. I jumped to the conclusion you were concerned about the safety. My bad.

Have you ever tried just straight up unflavored whey? I would assume it tastes horrible, but you could add maybe stevia and cinnamon and make it taste palatable.
It's cool. Actually the unflavored Whey would probably be the best deal, more grams of Protein and less weight from processed Cocoa and gums, etc.

I have used Isopure(many years ago) but when I read that Ion Exchange Whey was not the best variation I dismissed that brand.

I mix a lot of ingredients in my shake which serves as two of my meals so in 20+ years of experimenting I've gotten pretty good and change things a bit as I go but...

I've been using various brands of "Green Superfood" as an addition, currently using the budget Amazing Grass "Original". One 8 gram scoop.
One tbsp. Smucker's natural PB (sometimes a tbsp PB2 powdered PB for lower calories instead)
One tbsp. Nutiva, Organic Hemp Oil
Two tsp. Navitas Naturals raw Cacao powder
800 +/- mg. dry Stevia
I/2 cup Oatmeal
One tsp. Vanilla extract
Two tbsp. Nutiva organic Hemp Protein (high in fiber)
Two scoops ON Chocolate Casein, 48 grams Protein
Water & ice

I searched for the Jay Robb Protein and I'll read more about it later.

I have thought about buying pure Whey Isolate in "bulk" but I haven't done a lot of searching at this point. I did find one that I might try someday but it's a bit expensive.- Whey Protein Isolate 90%, 1kg - $38.00 @ PureBulk.com.

I usually only use Whey just around training times and prefer to use Casein for my "super shake".

feather319

feather319

Awards
Protein Factory has some good stuff. You can mix your own protein and flavorings. You can pick your protein sources, sweetener sources and fillers if you wan them. I didn't find them badly priced either.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I know you didn't start the thread for this reason, but it is interesting nonetheless; Aspartame,when broken down into its constituent parts is made up of phenalylamine, aspartic acid and methanol. The former 2 are found I much greater abundance in a piece of steak and methanol is present in greater amounts in apples and other citrus fruits.

It is likely that if these products (apples and steaks) do not cause you issue, then neither will Aspartame.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I know you didn't start the thread for this reason, but it is interesting nonetheless; Aspartame,when broken down into its constituent parts is made up of phenalylamine, aspartic acid and methanol. The former 2 are found I much greater abundance in a piece of steak and methanol is present in greater amounts in apples and other citrus fruits.

It is likely that if these products (apples and steaks) do not cause you issue, then neither will Aspartame.
I honestly prefer the taste of stevia over aspartame in something like coffee. Not much of a difference, but notable.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
Biotest Mag 10.

It comes with a liquid sweetener you would add to it, but otherwise it comes completely unflavored.

jerrysiii

jerrysiii

Awards
  • Established
There are a few very good places that will make custom blends. I'm not sure if I can state the site as they sell some supps that the mods may feel are competing. Anyway, google "custom whey protein" and you should find what your looking for.

hsk

Awards
  • Established
I'm looking for Whey and Casein Protein powder such as ON Natural 100% Casein/ Whey that is free of artificial flavors, sweeteners, and synthetic colors. I'm doing my best to avoid Aspartame, Sucralose, Sorbitol and Acesulfame Potassium so the artificial sweeteners is my biggest gripe with most every ingredient list. I'm a big fan of Stevia so that I'm fine with.

I prefer to supplement with Micellar Casein and ON is the only one that I've noticed so far.
Look into NOW Foods. I have gone through many bags of their WPI. They make WPI with Stevia in both chocolate and vanilla. They also have natural unflavored WPI by itself. Their WPI is CFM and is really good quality. They also carry whey, casein, egg and soy powders too.

Another option is TrueNutrition(previously TrueProtein). They have every kind of protein powder in bulk. You can buy separately or customize your own blend. You can also choose to have everything unflavored or you can pick stevia as a sweetner instead of artificial flavoring.

jerrysiii

jerrysiii

Awards
  • Established
Another option is TrueNutrition(previously TrueProtein).
This is who I was referring to. Very good proteins and tons of flavouring options including all natural.

edit: Only downside is that they sometimes take a while to ship. Everything is made to order. I live on the east coast, so it also takes almost a week in transit.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I honestly prefer the taste of stevia over aspartame in something like coffee. Not much of a difference, but notable.
Meh, was never a big fan of stevia.

So, what does your reaction to aspartame have to do with abstaining from artificial flavourings, sweeteners, or colours that are not aspartame? Your logic is lacking here, but to each his/her own. Won't argue with preference.

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Protein Factory has some good stuff. You can mix your own protein and flavorings. You can pick your protein sources, sweetener sources and fillers if you wan them. I didn't find them badly priced either.
Protein Factory has dozens of quality control citations on their FDA inspections.

--

OP - Try NOWs unflavored 100% Isolate. No flavoring and its cheaper than a lot of companies blends.

rockme

rockme

Awards

Aspartame partially breaks down into formic acid, which is the poison found in fire ants (no joke). This may be one of the reasons the OP and many others react bad to it. In all seriousness, you cannot compare it to steaks and apples. One is food, the other is a chemical

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Aspartame partially breaks down into formic acid, which is the poison found in fire ants (no joke). This may be one of the reasons the OP and many others react bad to it. In all seriousness, you cannot compare it to steaks and apples. One is food, the other is a chemical
So, again, back to my question. If one has an adverse reaction to ASPARTAME, what does that reaction to a SINGLE ingredient have to do with wanting to stay away from other artificial flavourings/sweeteners/colours? It's like if I ate watermelon one day and it gave me itchy throat (I sometimes get that from eating watermelons from certain seasons/farms/etc., it's an allergic reaction) and then decide that I should just stay away from all fruits and vegetables due to my reaction to that one piece of watermelon I've had.

Not trying to stir the pot here, but the logic is clearly lacking in this instance. Alas, it's personal preference and I'm not going to try to attempt to change someone's personal preference (but obviously I am not going to avoid pointing lapses in logic).

GD67

GD67

Awards
Thanks all for the replies. I appreciate the rec for Now. I use several Now products and have brushed by their Whey product. I found it on Amazon and with my 15% off Subscribe and Save deal I can get the 5 lb. for around $51 which is excellent.

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks all for the replies. I appreciate the rec for Now. I use several Now products and have brushed by their Whey product. I found it on Amazon and with my 15% off Subscribe and Save deal I can get the 5 lb. for around $51 which is excellent.
Yeah, it's an incredible bargain from a quality company at ~$10/lb, which is comparable to many and cheaper than some companies blend protein products.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Yes; Methanol is converted into Formaldehyde and Formic Acid. Methanol is present in apples and other citrus fruits. So again, if one has no issue with eating an apple (which mas methanol in greater quantities) it is likely they will not have an issue with aspartame.

:D

People often claim reactions with ingredients and one that I recall recently was a study done with MSG in which people who claimed to have intolerance to MSG were taken to a place and told the food contain zero MSG, but the food did and they ate and had no issues.

Odd how the mind works sometimes:

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/130/4/1058S.full

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
Um, that's been dis-continued and It's far from a protein powder!.
You're thinking of their pro hormone product, which they did discontinue and replace with a casein hydrolysate and cyclic dextrin powder of the same name. Idk why, maybe for SEO purposes. I try not to speak too much about non-board companies on here, but I enjoy mag-10 quite a bit.