Baylor Study on ArA

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Quote Originally Posted by kissdadookie View Post
    I would wager that most if not many have cut fatty red meats out of their diets. ArA is contained mostly in fat of red meat.
    Most have cut red meats?

Why in the world would they do that...
    SNS Representative - [email protected] .com

2. Quote Originally Posted by kissdadookie View Post
    Depends. Inflammation is not always a bad thing as you may be well aware of. Inflammation is the body's response to damage and a signal for repair. So depending on severity of the inflammation and what induced the inflammation in the first place, it could be a very desirable thing. Without inflammation, growth becomes significantly slowed down or may not even happen since growth is caused by repair and the body's mechanism to trigger repair includes in a large part, inflammation.

Also, look at how ArA actually works. The ArA deposits are located in the muscle cell membranes and through exercise the membranes break and releases the constituents of the bonds which the ArA makes within the membrane and these constituents appears to contain the same components which seems to be signaler's for muscle repair which in turn leads to growth. So this is actually desirable and also explains why in the trained individual, they have notably lower levels of ArA compared to non-trained individuals. So the DOMS in this case appears to be a positive effect caused by an increase of what naturally happens after the breaking down of muscle tissue through exercise.

Now, DOMS here should be noted is different from let's say, inflammation caused by tendonitis.
    Inflammation is a natural process. I don't believe anyone is arguing that point. We are discussing adding ArA and accelerating the inflammation response that already occurs with exercise and daily nutrition to gain muscle.

drop the ArA add 20 grams of Vegetable oil above your normal intake of Omega 6 fats, DOMS will increase..

s there a study(s) comparing ArA in trained to non-trained individuals with a controlled diet across both groups? I love to read it..

The western diet is an Omega 6 dominated diet.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by De__eB View Post
    Most have cut red meats?

I specifically said fatty red meats

4. What Foods Are High in Arachidonic Acid?

Arachidonic acid is ultimately one of the unsaturated fatty acids. Unlike many of the other unsaturated fats, however, arachidonic is predominantly found in animal-based foods. Often referred to as an omega-6 fatty acid, it is considered a "good" fat, since it's used in the production of hormones and the body's immune response. However, too much of this fatty acid can eventually lead to an elevation in cholesterol, which can cause plaque to accumulate along the arterial walls. According to the Mayo Clinic, this may result in coronary artery disease and increase your risk of heart attack and stroke.

Fish

While you've probably heard that fish are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, some varieties contain arachidonic acid. Tilapia contains one of the highest levels of omega-6 fatty acid, but you can also find it in catfish, yellowtail and mackerel. However, mackerel is a great source of omega-3 fatty acid, so it should balance the presence of arachidonic acid.

Red Meat

Another source of arachidonic acid is red meat. Generally, the fattier the meat, the more arachidonic acid is found in it, according to a study done by the Department of Food and Science at RMIT University; most of the fatty acid content is found within the fat itself. Beef and lamb, for the most part, have less of this unsaturated fat than other foods.

White Meat

White meat tends to contain levels of arachidonic acid. Of the white meats, duck contains the highest levels, by far, but you can also find it in turkey, chicken and pork. In pork, the highest concentrations are isolated in the fat, much like in beef and lamb, so it's easier to avoid high intakes of this unsaturated fat through cut selection and food preparation.

Eggs & Dairy

Arachidonic Acid is found in both eggs and dairy. Since your total fat consumption should be anywhere between 25 and 30 percent of your total caloric intake, it's important to get this healthier fat into your diet. With eggs, however, you also need to be concerned with cholesterol. Eggs are fairly high in this fatty substance, so additional moderation is necessary to ensure that you keep your cholesterol in a healthy range.-Dana Severson
    "To your wife you should kiss try today"-Touey

Brotato's bark brings shakes to the pups in the yard

5. Quote Originally Posted by kissdadookie View Post
    I specifically said fatty red meats
    I repeat...

Given what we know about the fat composition of animals based on their diet, one can significantly improve the omega fat ratio of their diet by eating healthier animals.
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by USPlabsRep View Post
    Inflammation is a natural process. I don't believe anyone is arguing that point. We are discussing adding ArA and accelerating the inflammation response that already occurs with exercise and daily nutrition to gain muscle.

drop the ArA add 20 grams of Vegetable oil above your normal intake of Omega 6 fats, DOMS will increase..

s there a study(s) comparing ArA in trained to non-trained individuals with a controlled diet across both groups? I love to read it..

The western diet is an Omega 6 dominated diet.
    Western diets are dominated by omega-6 fats but how much of it really is going to be ArA in practical terms? The richest sources of ArA and the main sources really are still going to be the fats in fatty red meats and we all know that consuming mass quantities of that does come with it's own issues. Other sources of ArA are going to be pretty low on ArA content.

As for adding ArA, are we REALLY accelerating the inflammation response or is the reality instead that we're getting an inflammation response which is more in line to how the response would be if are ArA levels were adequate. Like in one of the posts on this thread I made earlier today, there's this idea that after a period of regular training, things like DOMS tends to go away, is considered to be our bodies "adapting" to the training. Now, that is the idea which is usually touted but after understanding the importance of ArA and how that leads to inflammation which causes things such as DOMS, is it really that our body has "adapted" to training or is the reality that we have lowered our ArA levels significantly to the level where we are no longer getting optimum/normal inflammation responses?

7. Quote Originally Posted by De__eB View Post
    I repeat...

Given what we know about the fat composition of animals based on their diet, one can significantly improve the omega fat ratio of their diet by eating healthier animals.
    Healthier animals tend to be less fatty, so we're back to square one, not being able to get to the ArA. I mean, we could, but that typically means eating fattier meat which also comes with a lot of the other omega-6 fatty acids which we don't need so much of, at least that's how I understand it after looking at where ArA is most abundantly available in. It's not as if just because we eat the fatty meat from healthier animals that it ends up being the case that the composition of omega-6 in these animals are mostly going to be ArA rather than being mostly all the other omega-6's we don't need that much of.

I mean, unless I've been misinformed which I clearly could be here.

8. My point was that BBers typically have lean cuts of meat (i.e. chicken breast), fat free dairy, etc.

9. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post

Most hardcore BBers are all about their fish oil, nut butters, and olive oil. Hardcore as in, uneducated
    This one made me laugh cause it is sooo true. Its funny to eavsdrop on convos at my gym.

Serious Nutrition Solution ~~

mw at seriousnutritionsolutions dot com
    mike at competitiveedgelabs dot com

10. Quote Originally Posted by kissdadookie View Post
    Healthier animals tend to be less fatty, so we're back to square one, not being able to get to the ArA. I mean, we could, but that typically means eating fattier meat which also comes with a lot of the other omega-6 fatty acids which we don't need so much of, at least that's how I understand it after looking at where ArA is most abundantly available in. It's not as if just because we eat the fatty meat from healthier animals that it ends up being the case that the composition of omega-6 in these animals are mostly going to be ArA rather than being mostly all the other omega-6's we don't need that much of.

I mean, unless I've been misinformed which I clearly could be here.
    I'm just responding to your 'cutting out fatty red meat' comment since I consider that a silly thing to do

The average person consumes barely a few hundred milligrams of ArA in their diet daily. If you're supplementing a couple of grams a day, you're going way above and beyond what's really feasible to eat through diet.

at 100mg/100g for a relatively fatty cut of beef you'd have to eat 4 and a half pounds of beef to hit 2g/day.

11. Quote Originally Posted by De__eB View Post
    I'm just responding to your 'cutting out fatty red meat' comment since I consider that a silly thing to do

The average person consumes barely a few hundred milligrams of ArA in their diet daily. If you're supplementing a couple of grams a day, you're going way above and beyond what's really feasible to eat through diet.

at 100mg/100g for a relatively fatty cut of beef you'd have to eat 4 and a half pounds of beef to hit 2g/day.
    Gotcha!

12. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Most hardcore BBers are all about their fish oil, nut butters, and olive oil. Hardcore as in, uneducated
    Paleo, eat like a caveman.

13. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    My point was that BBers typically have lean cuts of meat (i.e. chicken breast), fat free dairy, etc.
    Yea...everyone I talk to lately eats chicken, fish, turkey, and then only gets their fats from nuts and fish oil.

Thats the story if Kevinhy's life...i hope he doesnt read this
    HIGH VOLUME - Supreme Stim-Free Nitric Oxide Matrix
    SELECT Protein
    - Ultra-Premium Blend
    ALPHAMINE - Thermogenics...Redefined

14. Quote Originally Posted by USPlabsRep View Post
    Paleo, eat like a caveman.
    Quote Originally Posted by nattydisaster View Post
    Yea...everyone I talk to lately eats chicken, fish, turkey, and then only gets their fats from nuts and fish oil.

Thats the story if Kevinhy's life...i hope he doesnt read this
    And people wonder why they don't respond to DAA

15. Quote Originally Posted by todd muelheim View Post
    I just read over the study (not the abstract) and, with regards to overall body composition improvements, the results do not make much of a case for ArA supplementation. With the high price of the supplement, coupled with the lack of knowledge of the long term effects of supplementation, I'm not sure if the juice is quite worth the squeeze... If this has been addressed already, I'd appreciate it if someone could link me. If not, any comments would be appreciated.
    Give one bottle a try and you'll discount the study. Trust me and 100's of others on this forum...

16. Quote Originally Posted by bakerwil View Post

Give one bottle a try and you'll discount the study. Trust me and 100's of others on this forum...
    I plan on running the full 50 days with LCLT and GMS as advised. Scientific studies are only as good as the minds who devised them anyway.

17. Quote Originally Posted by todd muelheim View Post
    I plan on running the full 50 days with LCLT and GMS as advised. Scientific studies are only as good as the minds who devised them anyway.
    Never discount the real world feedback is my moto....

Science is only as good as the results it produces EnVivio across a spectrum of consumers...
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-10-2005, 01:35 PM
  2. finaly study on Lipostabil
    By mass_builder in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-24-2004, 01:22 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-22-2004, 01:00 AM
  4. Medical Study on Back Pain Treatments
    By Dr of Golf in forum Training Forum