PLANT PROTEIN

A

amarula

Awards
What do you think about this? Is it an usefull addition to one's protein diet to vary a little protein source and maybe avoid developping dairy protein allergy?

S

smoker145

I don't see a problem with it they're typically more expensive, but if you want to mix it up and get like a raw protein powder than go for it.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd rather have meat. If I ever used soy or protein from a plant, I would feel like a woman who does crossfit

smutty

smutty

Awards
pea protein is great. I have allergy to whey and use pea instead.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Look into dales raw protein.

Everything is vegan. And they have awesome bars

K

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The issue with plant protein/vegan protein is that the protein sources used is ubiquitous in the modern food supply. Whey however is not. So from a purely logical POV, it doesn't make sense to go out of ones way to pay extra money for something that we already have abundant and cheap access to in the first place.

Up to the customer though, it's their money.

A

amarula

Awards
The issue with plant protein/vegan protein is that the protein sources used is ubiquitous in the modern food supply. Whey however is not. So from a purely logical POV, it doesn't make sense to go out of ones way to pay extra money for something that we already have abundant and cheap access to in the first place.

Up to the customer though, it's their money.
I understand your idea but if I eat pea or rice I get lots of carbs and I want to avoid them

K

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I understand your idea but if I eat pea or rice I get lots of carbs and I want to avoid them
Same with why one buys whey/casein powder instead of drinking a lot of milk. When it comes down to it, dairy derived protein yields both more health benefits (whey is a super food) as well as a better price compared to plants based protein supplements.It comes down to the individual though, if there is a moral or dietary or religious reason for one to not be able to use dairy derived protein, nothing wrong with plants based protein supplements, you just end up paying extra for the privilege. Otherwise from a health and quality perspective, the dairy derived protein supplement is superior and costing less is just the cherry on top. Up to the I individual, no argument from me about that :)

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Same with why one buys whey/casein powder instead of drinking a lot of milk. When it comes down to it, dairy derived protein yields both more health benefits (whey is a super food) as well as a better price compared to plants based protein supplements.It comes down to the individual though, if there is a moral or dietary or religious reason for one to not be able to use dairy derived protein, nothing wrong with plants based protein supplements, you just end up paying extra for the privilege. Otherwise from a health and quality perspective, the dairy derived protein supplement is superior and costing less is just the cherry on top. Up to the I individual, no argument from me about that :)
I love the use of hemp protein in my shakes.

Just got a blend of hemp cacao and lucuma to add to my shakes for more fiber and protein

K

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I love the use of hemp protein in my shakes. Just got a blend of hemp cacao and lucuma to add to my shakes for more fiber and protein
Definitely works as well :)I've been tossing Magnum Performance Greens into my morning shake.

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
plant protein doesn't have as high of a absorbant rate as whey or meat protein does.

Unless I was vegan I wouldn't touch it

A

amarula

Awards
Some good points here. Thank you. Maybe I'll try it one day just to change a little as I use whey for years and really enjoy it

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Some good points here. Thank you. Maybe I'll try it one day just to change a little as I use whey for years and really enjoy it
There's nothing wrong in getting different amino acid profiles throughout the day

I eat 20-40g combined hemp rice and pea protein and around 50g whey a day on top of chicken and beef.

I happen to like this or just eating whole food better then whey shakes alone.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What do you think about this? Is it an usefull addition to one's protein diet to vary a little protein source and maybe avoid developping dairy protein allergy?
I mix half of sans raw fusion into a full scoop of whey. I definitely dig a raw plant based profile that doesn't contain soy

thescience

thescience

Awards
  • Established
are we talking about plant protein powder or just plant protein here? i know with unextracted plant protein (vegetables/grains/nuts) the amino acid profile is very small per gram of protein. i mean like 1/10th the aminos

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
I was just messing around like he was I think

I know. Sorry if my post seemed aggressive. Ever watched the chick crossfit games though? Mini Ronnie Coleman's running around six packs sticking out 5-6 inches lol.

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I feel the best and most reliable sources of protein are milk proteins such as whey and casein however if someone was to consider vegetarian sources the only ones that would seem to be worth looking into would be Hemp and Pea protein, Rice texture isnt the nicest and price doesnt help all that much, pea protein is becoming more available and might be worth it, Hemp has a nutty taste great source of EFA and fiber but at the price your better off buying whey and fish oils and fiber separately.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How do you compare SAN's raw fusion with whey in terms of flavour?
It definitely tastes like a plant protein but the flavoring is pretty good and more than tolerable

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Brown rice protein is quite gritty. If I add cocoa powder and rice milk to it I can drink it comfortably.

Hemp is less tolerable for me and also significantly more expensive.

Pea protein I managed to drink half a serving after adding a huge amount of cocoa to try and cover the flavour. I threw the rest of the serving away and haven't touched it again since lol.