Just Getting Started - Need Some Help

HIM

HIM

Awards
Hey all Im working on getting back into a steady workout routine after a 6 year hiatus. To be honest in many ways I'm still a total noob to the scene even though I've been raised by a fitness instructor. The most I've ever used was a basic protein powder but I'd like to get into a better, but simple, supplement regimen. I know everyone's personal opinion on what they take and why they think it works best varies but I'm just looking for a nudge in the right direction. I have no clue how much truth there is to it but I'd like to stay away from stuff thats gonna hurt my kidneys and other organs as well. My goals are quite simple....1. Lose about 20-25lbs or turn it into muscle weight. My weight isnt my concern, its more of the fact its flab not lean muscle.2. Along with getting more cut I'd like to add some mass.A real good Marine buddy of mine is currently using the supplement diet listed below and says he loves it. Though I dont know if its right for me and I'd like some more feedback from others with more knowledge and experience about this lifestyle/passion. If I'm leaving out info that can help you all give me better answers let me know. Thanks in advance and I apologize if this is the wrong place for this thread.C4 or Assault - pre work out............Is C4 the aplhamine stuff I keep reading about?Combat Powder - post workoutCasin - at nightBattle Fuel - multi vitaminAnimal - test boosterFish oil gel tabs for omega 3s

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
Hey Him!

What are your stats bud? A body fat idea would be helpful. I know you said you've been on a 6 year hiatus from training but what is your knowledge on nutrition and training. I'd be glad to help...

Reactions: HIM
OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
idk how your diet is. but if its lacking effort, focus on that before supplements. if you conquer the diet beast, all your wildest dreams will come to fruition

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
idk how your diet is. but if its lacking effort, focus on that before supplements. if you conquer the diet beast, all your wildest dreams will come to fruition
^^this is where I was headed :)

Thanks onionknight

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey all Im working on getting back into a steady workout routine after a 6 year hiatus. To be honest in many ways I'm still a total noob to the scene even though I've been raised by a fitness instructor. The most I've ever used was a basic protein powder but I'd like to get into a better, but simple, supplement regimen. I know everyone's personal opinion on what they take and why they think it works best varies but I'm just looking for a nudge in the right direction. I have no clue how much truth there is to it but I'd like to stay away from stuff thats gonna hurt my kidneys and other organs as well. My goals are quite simple....1. Lose about 20-25lbs or turn it into muscle weight. My weight isnt my concern, its more of the fact its flab not lean muscle.2. Along with getting more cut I'd like to add some mass.A real good Marine buddy of mine is currently using the supplement diet listed below and says he loves it. Though I dont know if its right for me and I'd like some more feedback from others with more knowledge and experience about this lifestyle/passion. If I'm leaving out info that can help you all give me better answers let me know. Thanks in advance and I apologize if this is the wrong place for this thread.C4 or Assault - pre work out............Is C4 the aplhamine stuff I keep reading about?Combat Powder - post workoutCasin - at nightBattle Fuel - multi vitaminAnimal - test boosterFish oil gel tabs for omega 3s
This is just my opinion:

For the first year of "getting back into it", only take the staple supplements. This is just an example of a staple set up:

Protein - ON Whey protein http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/optimum-nutrition/100-whey-protein-gold-standard-5-lb.html

Pre workout - this comes down to a personal decision. I like PES enhanced - http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/pesupplments/enhanced-40-servings.html?sel=5583

multi- Controlled Labs Orange Triad no doubt. SOLID formula - http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/controlled-labs/orange-triad-270-tabs.html

Other supplements to consider that are pretty safe, even for somebody not experienced in this area

PES Alphamine - fat burner that can be used as a pre workout (save $ this way) - http://www.nutraplanet.com/search?query=alphamine

Forskolin-95 - Analyzed Supplements/Synthetic Supplements (idk which it is nowadays lol) cheap and VERY effective. dose for 12 weeks.

Creatine - BioCor Creatine http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/biocor/creatine-monohydrate-500-grams.html

CitMal - BioCor Citmal http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/biocor/citrulline-malate-100-grams.html

hope this helps

HIM

HIM

Awards
Thanks for clearing that up on the Alphamine. Do you take it every day? What are the cycles for it? Not sure what my body fat % is either. Im no expert when it comes to nutrition and training but I'm not a total noob either. I boxed nearly everyday for about 8 years and worked out seriously heavy lifting for football for about 5 years. I dont remember what my squats and cleans sets were but I remember my bench max used to be 250lbs when I weighed about 165. I also used to be able to run a 5.5 min mile and box about 8-10 rounds. I remember my boxing workouts but my football routine in the weight room is a bit foggy at this point. My eating habits arent bad but I could work on a few things. I try to balance my food groups and stay away from junk food. My biggest issue is my eating pattern is like 2 hours off. I dont get hungry until like 11am and as a consequence I'm hungrier later at night when I shouldnt be.

HIM

HIM

Awards
This is just my opinion:For the first year of "getting back into it", only take the staple supplements.
Thats all I want basically. Nothing too complicated just a good base of supplements to help the process and give my body what it needs for the job. Now would you take all of those or are you just pointing out some options?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I second getting into the basics first; re-evaluating your diet to meet your current needs/ goals and finding a training regime that works for you before anything else.

Basic supplements are things like (and some advice)

-a multi (especially useful in a cut as often the lack of calories may compromise how many micronutrients you are also getting in); for this I recommend Orange Triad. IMO it is one of the best formulations out and contains a joint help complex.

- Bulk Creatine monohydrate (cheap and effective): Serious Nutrition Solutions Creatine Monohydrate (600 Grams): Discount Creatine Monohydrate Supplements
5g everyday (no need to load or cycle) will last you a long time and will also not impair kidney or liver function.

-Drop the casein pre-bed (unless you really like it of course) but the idea that you will lose muscle in your sleep whilst you are in a fasted state is just a myth. This could help save you some coin.

-fat won't turn into muscle as they are comprised of different things (one is mostly protein and water and the other is stored triglycerides): If you are after a fat burner, then look into Thyrocaps and Alpha t-2 (reformulated version). They are safe and won't impair or hinder thyroid function.

-C4 is a great pre IMO. Other options that I like are White Flood and Focus XT with added agmatine and Cit Mal for a energy, pump and focus combination.

Hopefully this helps.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks for clearing that up on the Alphamine. Do you take it every day? What are the cycles for it?
My pleasure. I do take it every day in the morning as it helps me get started on the day since I don't drink coffee. I take a second dose later in the day if I am doing cardio and I take Enhanced on days that I am doing weights.

Between boxing and football, you should have a pretty good idea of how most things work, but there is also a big chance that your metabolism is not what it was that many years ago. Feel free to post up your training and eating schedule or even consider starting a training log and we can help get you back where you want to be.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thats all I want basically. Nothing too complicated just a good base of supplements to help the process and give my body what it needs for the job. Now would you take all of those or are you just pointing out some options?
You can take all of that if you wanted

HIM

HIM

Awards
Multi quote wont work so I'll do this the hard way I guess lol

Jiigzz - Ive looked over my diet and its not too bad. My biggest issue has been up until a month ago my calorie intake heavily outweighing my calories burned due to lack of exercise. This shouldnt be too hard to balance back out again. ATM the only thing I'm taking is whey powder, all the stuff I mentioned in the OP is stuff my friend has been using. Looks like Orange Triad comes highly recommended from you guys so I'll check that out. Thanks for the advice!

Aleksandar37 - my metabolism definitely isnt what it used to be but given how little I was staying active it's surprisingly better than expected. A normal eating schedule for me would look like...

breakfast - eggs
lunch - banana/sandwich/salad/triscuits/maybe a small bowl of pasta
dinner - grilled steak/baked chicken, brown rice/broccoli/green beans/corn/onions/mushrooms/mashed potatoes/lima beans/garbanzo beans/veggie enriched pasta/side salad

my current workout....

*days I can fit it in I try to get a good swim in and tread water for 5-10mins

Mon/Wed/Friday - time self doing 30 good pushups, rest for same amount of time, repeat process for sets of 20/10/5 pushups. Im almost to the point where I'll be adding 5 to each set.

Tues/Thurs/Sat - 3 sets of bridges @ 1min, 3 sets of side bridges @ 45sec, 3 sets mountain climbers or bicycles @ 45sec, 3 sets of 40 twists(not sure what to call em but I did them for boxing lol)

R1balla - What is forskolin 95 for? CitMal? Would you take creatine in place of a whey or along with? Whats the best time of day to take a multi? Should I be taking everything before eating, after, between meals? Thanks for helping me out with all this!

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Multi quote wont work so I'll do this the hard way I guess lol

Jiigzz - Ive looked over my diet and its not too bad. My biggest issue has been up until a month ago my calorie intake heavily outweighing my calories burned due to lack of exercise. This shouldnt be too hard to balance back out again. ATM the only thing I'm taking is whey powder, all the stuff I mentioned in the OP is stuff my friend has been using. Looks like Orange Triad comes highly recommended from you guys so I'll check that out. Thanks for the advice!

Aleksandar37 - my metabolism definitely isnt what it used to be but given how little I was staying active it's surprisingly better than expected. A normal eating schedule for me would look like...

breakfast - eggs
lunch - banana/sandwich/salad/triscuits/maybe a small bowl of pasta
dinner - grilled steak/baked chicken, brown rice/broccoli/green beans/corn/onions/mushrooms/mashed potatoes/lima beans/garbanzo beans/veggie enriched pasta/side salad

my current workout....

*days I can fit it in I try to get a good swim in and tread water for 5-10mins

Mon/Wed/Friday - time self doing 30 good pushups, rest for same amount of time, repeat process for sets of 20/10/5 pushups. Im almost to the point where I'll be adding 5 to each set.

Tues/Thurs/Sat - 3 sets of bridges @ 1min, 3 sets of side bridges @ 45sec, 3 sets mountain climbers or bicycles @ 45sec, 3 sets of 40 twists(not sure what to call em but I did them for boxing lol)

R1balla - What is forskolin 95 for? CitMal? Would you take creatine in place of a whey or along with? Whats the best time of day to take a multi? Should I be taking everything before eating, after, between meals? Thanks for helping me out with all this!
Forskolin-95 is used for fat loss (also has other benefits). CitMal is for increased endurance and decreased fatigue. Creatine, you can use along with any other product. I take my multi with breakfast. Depends what you are using. Get a list of what you want to buy, then we can help you on timing and dosing.

HIM

HIM

Awards
Forskolin-95 is used for fat loss (also has other benefits). CitMal is for increased endurance and decreased fatigue. Creatine, you can use along with any other product. I take my multi with breakfast. Depends what you are using. Get a list of what you want to buy, then we can help you on timing and dosing.
Fat burner/pre work out - Alphamine or Alpha T-2 or Forskolin-95
Multi - Orange Triad
Bulk - Whey/creatine

Still undecided on which fat burner to use. I like the idea of being able to use Alphamine for a fat burner and pre workout.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Fat burner/pre work out - Alphamine or Alpha T-2 or Forskolin-95
Multi - Orange Triad
Bulk - Whey/creatine

Still undecided on which fat burner to use. I like the idea of being able to use Alphamine for a fat burner and pre workout.
you can use alphamine along with Forskolin. same with Alpha T2 and Forskolin. just make sure you take alpha t2 or alphamine 4-8 weeks then take a 4 week break. stay on forskolin for 12 weeks.

if you go with the fat burner as the pre workout, i would add agmatine and citmal to your supplements. take alphamine about 1 hour pre workout then take agmatine,citmal,creatine about 20 min pre workout.

HIM

HIM

Awards
you can use alphamine along with Forskolin. same with Alpha T2 and Forskolin. just make sure you take alpha t2 or alphamine 4-8 weeks then take a 4 week break. stay on forskolin for 12 weeks.

if you go with the fat burner as the pre workout, i would add agmatine and citmal to your supplements. take alphamine about 1 hour pre workout then take agmatine,citmal,creatine about 20 min pre workout.
In your opinion how does Alphamine compare to Alpha t2? How long of a break do you take from Forskolin or do you stop altogether after 12 weeks? Do I break from agmatine and citmal when I break on the fat burners?

Buffspartan

Buffspartan

Awards
  • Established
One thing I need to mention. I know OP liked the look of Alphamine and most of the replies here did to. I've tried alphamine and while I loved the results, if you have any kidney issues what so ever, don't take it. Alphamine contains yohimbe. Yohimbe and its derivatives are found in many supplements, especially fat burners. I had read that Yohimbe could cause kidney issues to worsen or even kidney toxicity if taken in excess, but I sort of ignored the warnings and kept on taking products with it. Low and behold, within 2.5 weeks of taking alphamine, my kidneys acted up. I'm not saying alphamine is a bad product, in fact most people love it, I'm just saying if you have any kidney issues at all, stay away from it. If you don't and you are a normal healthy individual, you will be absolutely fine as long as you do not combine it with any other products containing yohimbe, yohimbine hcl, alpha yohimbe, or Rauwolscine. The reason I brought this up is because OP mentioned he didn't want to mess up his kidneys, so I'm just saying be careful. This is a great product if you are a healthy individual, just be careful of other products containing these ingrediants

HIM

HIM

Awards
One thing I need to mention. I know OP liked the look of Alphamine and most of the replies here did to. I've tried alphamine and while I loved the results, if you have any kidney issues what so ever, don't take it. Alphamine contains yohimbe. Yohimbe and its derivatives are found in many supplements, especially fat burners. I had read that Yohimbe could cause kidney issues to worsen or even kidney toxicity if taken in excess, but I sort of ignored the warnings and kept on taking products with it. Low and behold, within 2.5 weeks of taking alphamine, my kidneys acted up. I'm not saying alphamine is a bad product, in fact most people love it, I'm just saying if you have any kidney issues at all, stay away from it. If you don't and you are a normal healthy individual, you will be absolutely fine as long as you do not combine it with any other products containing yohimbe, yohimbine hcl, alpha yohimbe, or Rauwolscine. The reason I brought this up is because OP mentioned he didn't want to mess up his kidneys, so I'm just saying be careful. This is a great product if you are a healthy individual, just be careful of other products containing these ingrediants
I appreciate the insight. As far as I'm aware I dont have any kidney issues. Though I would definitely like to keep it that way! Isnt there a kind of Alphamine without yohimbe?

Buffspartan

Buffspartan

Awards
  • Established
I appreciate the insight. As far as I'm aware I dont have any kidney issues. Though I would definitely like to keep it that way! Isnt there a kind of Alphamine without yohimbe?
I have never heard of healthy individuals getting side effects so you should be fine as long as you don't combine it with other yohimbe supps and take occasional stim breaks. The Australian version does not contain yohimbe, but I am unaware whether or not you can get it in the states or anywhere else.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
This applies to anything. If you have kidney issues, you shouldn't even be taking creatine.

If you are healthy, yohimbine is not going to "worsen" kidney function. The mechanism by which yohimbine can cause issues in those with "weak" kidneys is that it drives up local vasoconstriction in the region bordering the glomerulus, which lessens the ability of the kidneys to perform their function in those who have already experienced previous renal insult

HIM

HIM

Awards
In your opinion how does Alphamine compare to Alpha t2? How long of a break do you take from Forskolin or do you stop altogether after 12 weeks? Do I break from agmatine and citmal when I break on the fat burners?
Thanks for the info guys. Bumping this to try and get answers to these questions.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for the info guys. Bumping this to try and get answers to these questions.
i havent tried the new Alpha T2.

Take Forskolin for 12 weeks then (what i do) take an 8 week break. I only run Forskolin once a year (during my cut). I like to cycle Agmatine and Citmal. I usually take both for about 6 months then take a 4-8 week break but everybody does it differently

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Alpha-T2 has a stronger effect on the thyroid and blood glucose, and it is caffeine-free. Alphamine has more adrenergic activity at work and will provide a superior mood and energy boost as well.

HIM

HIM

Awards
So I got everything and have one last question. The creatine says "As a dietary supplement, take two tablets daily."

So should I take one tablet pre work out and one tablet post work out? Or 2 tablets pre and post workout?

I ask because my protein says take 1 full serving for use as a dietary supplement but also says for best results take 1 full serving pre workout and another full serving post. So I'm wondering if I should be doing the same with the creatine.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So I got everything and have one last question. The creatine says "As a dietary supplement, take two tablets daily."

So should I take one tablet pre work out and one tablet post work out? Or 2 tablets pre and post workout?

I ask because my protein says take 1 full serving for use as a dietary supplement but also says for best results take 1 full serving pre workout and another full serving post. So I'm wondering if I should be doing the same with the creatine.
What brand of creatine do you have?

For your creatine timing doesn't matter. Yes the bottle may say take pre and post workout but you can dose it anytime of the day. Also, all you need is 3-5 grams per day. Same with your protein, it may say take pre and post workout, but that is not necessary either.

HIM

HIM

Awards
What brand of creatine do you have?

For your creatine timing doesn't matter. Yes the bottle may say take pre and post workout but you can dose it anytime of the day. Also, all you need is 3-5 grams per day. Same with your protein, it may say take pre and post workout, but that is not necessary either.
GNC's..... The bottle says what you've mentioned but earlier in the thread it was recommended to take it pre and post workout with my protein.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
GNC's..... The bottle says what you've mentioned but earlier in the thread it was recommended to take it pre and post workout with my protein.
first off, i wouldnt shop at that store. you are wasting your money. shop online at nutraplanet or something. saves you so much money and you avoid the workers trying to educate you when they dont even lift :D

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You can do that if that is your preference. No problem taking creatine and whey together.

HIM

HIM

Awards
first off, i wouldnt shop at that store. you are wasting your money. shop online at nutraplanet or something. saves you so much money and you avoid the workers trying to educate you when they dont even lift :D
Point taken. I'll go that route next time I buy. Thanks for the ton of help!

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
First and foremost, get that nutrition down buddy! Once you have that, supplements will be more of something to help assist and make things easier. Obviously if you have that crazy sweet tooth as most people do like my clients, I recommend going straight into a whey protein, which I use iForce Nutrition Protean. Not to mention I also give them various dessert recipes that I use with the Protean to curve those cravings. After that, then gauge to see how much you want to spend on supplements.

laneanders

laneanders

Awards
This right here don't shop at GNC or VS. Shop online here at nutraplanet and get yourself a tasty and cost efficient protein. For better protein options and flavors look into iForce's Protean or Isotean in just about any flavor depending on your preferences.

Creatine is usually cheap enough anywhere as long as you take 3-5 grams per day.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
vitamin shoppe is actually decently priced. od say ots the same as nutra since there wouldnt be any shipping cost

gncee can suck it

laneanders

laneanders

Awards
vitamin shoppe is actually decently priced. od say ots the same as nutra since there wouldnt be any shipping cost

gncee can suck it
It can be decently priced I agree, but I worked there for 3 months. I think I might be jaded against that place. It is better than GNC for sure, but some things you just can't find in a brick-and-mortar store let alone at a decent price.

HIM

HIM

Awards
Reviving my thread with a few more questions.....

Should I be taking agmatine and citmal on non-workout days? If so what should I be dosing on workout days vs non?

Thanks to everyone here on AB that have helped me out. Down 10lbs in the last 2 months and have put on a good amount of lean mass!!

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Reviving my thread with a few more questions.....

Should I be taking agmatine and citmal on non-workout days? If so what should I be dosing on workout days vs non?

Thanks to everyone here on AB that have helped me out. Down 10lbs in the last 2 months and have put on a good amount of lean mass!!
A lot of guys take agmatine on non training days. Usually with their biggest carb meals and before bed.

HIM

HIM

Awards
A lot of guys take agmatine on non training days. Usually with their biggest carb meals and before bed.
How many carbs should I be trying to get in with it? I think I saw around 80g somewhere but that's a lot for me unless I'm eating pasta. I was going to start out with 500mg am and 500mg pre workout.

Also anyone have any info on eating schedule with forskolin 95? Like how your supposed to make sure you don't eat less than an hour before or until 30mins after taking Alphamine. Been looking for info but can't find anything.