Anyone take these? 5-HTP, L-Tyrosine, GABA

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Anyone take these? 5-HTP, L-Tyrosine, GABA


    I have been reading more into neurotransmitters and these caught my attention. What's everyone's opinion on it?

    Seems cheap/too good to be true..?


  2. Quote Originally Posted by ndnguy85 View Post
    I have been reading more into neurotransmitters and these caught my attention. What's everyone's opinion on it?

    Seems cheap/too good to be true..?
    5-HTP and Tyrosine put me in a great mood when I take them. Can't speak on GABA, however.
    •   
       


  3. Do you use them together? Like Tyrosine in the AM and 5-HTP before bed?

  4. Quote Originally Posted by ndnguy85 View Post
    I have been reading more into neurotransmitters and these caught my attention. What's everyone's opinion on it?

    Seems cheap/too good to be true..?
    What are you trying to achieve? What are your goals? Help with sleep? Reducing anxiety? Growth hormone secretion? Deeper sleep? Dopamine or well being? Happiness/help depression??

  5. I can tell you that GABA as well as L-Dopa(from velvet bean/mucuna pruriens) in the evening are just incredible for helping Dopamine and Growth Hormone. Noticeable relaxation, stronger erections, sexual stamina, deeper sleep, happiness and well being, body composition, even post cycle recovery. I love any natural GH support product.
    •   
       


  6. I never feel full after eating. I have no control to stop eating food...even when my stomach is completely full to the point of discomfort. I thought it be trace minerals, vitamin deficiency etc. None of that has helped..yet. I am taking ZMK before bedtime.Recently I have been binge eating also.

    Some of it has to do with restrictive dieting but I am not sure how much these neurostransmitters affect such things. I read serotonin/Gaba levels can affect such behaviors. Every free meal that I plan ends up being a disaster.

    Is Gaba/5-htp addictive? Withdrawal symptoms?

  7. Try Sam-E for serotonin and GABA but add in that L-Dopa. Swanson vitamins.com carries NOW L-Dopa for dirt cheap. I love the stuff

  8. Quote Originally Posted by ndnguy85 View Post

    Is Gaba/5-htp addictive? Withdrawal symptoms?
    Anything medication/supplement that affects neurotransmitters in a positive/negative way taken for a period of time, can cause minor withdrawal symptoms if discontinued abruptly. Easy to avoid though.

  9. 5 HTP does have that appetite suppressant effect and if you take it with melatonin you won't have to worry much about eating because you will be comatosed....

  10. I'd be careful with these types of supplements...Gaba I don't like much because of the "Gaba rush". Google "Gaba rush". It's extremely unpleasant. 5 Htp can increase serotonin levels. It can cause interactions with medications or some other supplements. It's just something I wouldn't mess with or take long term. Tyrosine I'm not too sure about. I believe it can increase dopamine levels somewhat. Gaba I believe to be relatively safe but I just don't react well to it at all.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    I'd be careful with these types of supplements...Gaba I don't like much because of the "Gaba rush". Google "Gaba rush". It's extremely unpleasant. 5 Htp can increase serotonin levels. It can cause interactions with medications or some other supplements. It's just something I wouldn't mess with or take long term. Tyrosine I'm not too sure about. I believe it can increase dopamine levels somewhat. Gaba I believe to be relatively safe but I just don't react well to it at all.
    All good input and info. I start slow and take only when needed. Gaba and 5 htp together on the same night and I'm a zombie for three hours at work. I'll drink a whole pot of coffee before I feel normal. Some of these work just like a 'medication' meaning they have side effects too.

  12. Quote Originally Posted by Matthersby View Post
    All good input and info. I start slow and take only when needed. Gaba and 5 htp together on the same night and I'm a zombie for three hours at work. I'll drink a whole pot of coffee before I feel normal. Some of these work just like a 'medication' meaning they have side effects too.
    Ever try PEA?...I think it works pretty well at reducing stress. Try SNS Pea-500 at Nutraplanet. It's a wicked good price and should last you a while. Pretty sure that that is a sale price though. You could get rid of the the Gaba and 5HTP and replace it with this one product. I don't think it will put you to sleep either. I've tried it a while back and it works well to reduce stress. To be honest it wasn't SNS brand but it was before I even knew SNS existed. It can act as a stimulant also, but won't have you freaking out. Of course PEA can also interact with prescriptions. Just be careful with any of these types of supplements and never go over the recommended dosage. Reason I say try PEA is because it can give you energy and focus and also help relieve stress. Plus I've tried it before and it worked pretty good for me. It's not something you want to take before bed. Try taking it before work with a cup of coffee. I wouldn't stack it with 5HTP, L-Dopa, or the other similar type supplements mentioned in this thread.

  13. Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post

    Ever try PEA?...I think it works pretty well at reducing stress. Try SNS Pea-500 at Nutraplanet. It's a wicked good price and should last you a while. Pretty sure that that is a sale price though. You could get rid of the the Gaba and 5HTP and replace it with this one product. I don't think it will put you to sleep either. I've tried it a while back and it works well to reduce stress. To be honest it wasn't SNS brand but it was before I even knew SNS existed. It can act as a stimulant also, but won't have you freaking out.
    I'm inclined to agree if you are ONLY taking these for appetite suppression.

  14. Dang, I'm super tired.....Must go lay down. Have a good night people.

  15. Quote Originally Posted by Matthersby View Post
    I'm inclined to agree if you are ONLY taking these for appetite suppression.

    Edited and updated my post a bit.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by ndnguy85 View Post
    I have been reading more into neurotransmitters and these caught my attention. What's everyone's opinion on it?

    Seems cheap/too good to be true..?
    im a big fan of n-acetyl-tyrosine (said to be 20x better absorbed) and tyrosine ethyl ester; expensive getting them in a store, but oh so cheap in bulk. I find a noticeable improvement in energy at 1/4 teaspoon 3 times a day. a precursor to dopamine, adrenaline and noradrenaline whats not to love? it also benefits the thyroid. gaba is good for a lot of things and there is an uber-potent form of that bound to niacin, but as with 5-htp, I have a hard time welcoming the drowsiness being on the chill side already myself; ive seen labels for 5-htp will cautioning users not to drive after dosing, as the sleep can really come on. definitely powerful though

  17. Quote Originally Posted by thescience View Post

    im a big fan of n-acetyl-tyrosine (said to be 20x better absorbed) and tyrosine ethyl ester; expensive getting them in a store, but oh so cheap in bulk. I find a noticeable improvement in energy at 1/4 teaspoon 3 times a day. a precursor to dopamine, adrenaline and noradrenaline whats not to love? it also benefits the thyroid.
    I'm about to Google. Wow thyroid benefits & energy?!?! Any info in how it helps thyroid? Hypo or hyper? Which form is better the N.A.T? Or T.E.E.?

  18. Quote Originally Posted by thescience View Post
    im a big fan of n-acetyl-tyrosine (said to be 20x better absorbed) and tyrosine ethyl ester; expensive getting them in a store, but oh so cheap in bulk. I find a noticeable improvement in energy at 1/4 teaspoon 3 times a day. a precursor to dopamine, adrenaline and noradrenaline whats not to love? it also benefits the thyroid. gaba is good for a lot of things and there is an uber-potent form of that bound to niacin, but as with 5-htp, I have a hard time welcoming the drowsiness being on the chill side already myself; ive seen labels for 5-htp will cautioning users not to drive after dosing, as the sleep can really come on. definitely powerful though
    N-Acetyl-Tyrosine actually has worse overall CNS penetration and body retention. Adding an ethyl ester is worthless too.

    Binding gaba to niacin doesn't make it more potent..it just makes it centrally penetrating.

    Also, PEA releases catecholamines and increases the stress response, not decreases it.

  19. Quote Originally Posted by Matthersby View Post
    I'm about to Google. Wow thyroid benefits & energy?!?! Any info in how it helps thyroid? Hypo or hyper? Which form is better the N.A.T? Or T.E.E.?
    L-Tyrosine is the best form. It doesn't benefit the thyroid, it's just a thyroid hormone precursor (but if you're not deficient, taking more won't induce T3 release...remember, thyroid hormone is stored as thyroglobulin)

  20. TYROSINE OVERVIEW INFORMATION
    Tyrosine is one of the amino acids, which are the building blocks of protein. The body makes tyrosine from another amino acid called phenylalanine. Tyrosine can also be found in dairy products, meats, fish, eggs, nuts, beans, oats, and wheat.

    People take tyrosine for depression, attention deficit disorder (ADD), attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), the inability to stay awake (narcolepsy), and improving alertness following sleep deprivation. It is also used for stress, premenstrual syndrome (PMS), Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), alcohol and cocaine withdrawal, heart disease and stroke, ED (erectile dysfunction), loss of interest in sex, schizophrenia, and as a suntan agent and appetite suppressant.

  21. Quote Originally Posted by Matthersby View Post
    TYROSINE OVERVIEW INFORMATION
    Tyrosine is one of the amino acids, which are the building blocks of protein. The body makes tyrosine from another amino acid called phenylalanine. Tyrosine can also be found in dairy products, meats, fish, eggs, nuts, beans, oats, and wheat.

    People take tyrosine for depression, attention deficit disorder (ADD), attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), the inability to stay awake (narcolepsy), and improving alertness following sleep deprivation. It is also used for stress, premenstrual syndrome (PMS), Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), alcohol and cocaine withdrawal, heart disease and stroke, ED (erectile dysfunction), loss of interest in sex, schizophrenia, and as a suntan agent and appetite suppressant.
    Here's all you should take away from that:

    L-tyrosine -> l-dopa -> dopamine -> NE -> E

    NE/E regulate the acute stress response. Thus, taking tyrosine allows you to better respond to stressors during stressful periods. It also suppresses appetite vicariously through this mechanism.

    I would never use tyrosine to treat any of those disorders as an aspiring physician, personally.

  22. Cooper, do you take L-Tyrosine?

    I guess I can start with that one and see how I react before messing around with 5-HTP and Gaba.

    Where does L-Glutamine play into all this in terms of appetite suppression etc?

  23. There is nothing wrong with taking 5htp ya ninnies. One person says one thing and then the thread spirals lol...

    For whoever 5htp turns into a "zombie" what dose are you taking? I've taken 5htp frequently in upwards of 200mg to help replenish serotonin after times of little sleep or strenuous workouts and fires. I've never even become overly drowsy lol

    The biggest thing with it us you want to be careful of down regulation of the other neurotransmitters etc...
    The Physique Biochemist
    Biochemistry Major
    Your Physique AND Credentials Should Back Up Your Position

  24. Quote Originally Posted by ndnguy85 View Post
    Cooper, do you take L-Tyrosine?

    I guess I can start with that one and see how I react before messing around with 5-HTP and Gaba.

    Where does L-Glutamine play into all this in terms of appetite suppression etc?
    I take it from time to time. Just don't combine it with yohimbine.

    L-glutamine has no role here, supplementally

    Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    There is nothing wrong with taking 5htp ya ninnies. One person says one thing and then the thread spirals lol...

    For whoever 5htp turns into a "zombie" what dose are you taking? I've taken 5htp frequently in upwards of 200mg to help replenish serotonin after times of little sleep or strenuous workouts and fires. I've never even become overly drowsy lol
    Nor have I

  25. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    L-Tyrosine is the best form. It doesn't benefit the thyroid, it's just a thyroid hormone precursor (but if you're not deficient, taking more won't induce T3 release...remember, thyroid hormone is stored as thyroglobulin)
    ive taken every form there is. never saw the energy benefits of straight up l-tyrosine. i have people tell me there's no difference between isolated B vitmains and coenzymated ones, and that 50g of protein a day is all i could ever need but im not going to wait out for all the literature to catch up

  26. Quote Originally Posted by thescience View Post

    i have people tell me there's no difference between isolated B vitmains and coenzymated ones,
    People that don't understand single nucleotide polymorphisms and methylation I would imagine.

  27. Quote Originally Posted by Matthersby View Post
    I'm about to Google. Wow thyroid benefits & energy?!?! Any info in how it helps thyroid? Hypo or hyper? Which form is better the N.A.T? Or T.E.E.?
    it's involved in the production of thyroxin. for some, its a missing piece of the equation toward having more thyroxin, so we are steering away from hypo. the dose i took of n-aceetyl is alot over label use, but far less than l-tyrosine recommendations. it was a very clean energy. ive heard people describe it as better than coffee, but i wouldnt go that far. theres just more motivation, less sleeping every night

  28. Quote Originally Posted by Matthersby View Post
    People that don't understand single nucleotide polymorphisms and methylation I would imagine.

    haha, well they just stick to outdated studies or point to the absence of one, instead of trying it and realizing

  29. Quote Originally Posted by thescience View Post

    it's involved in the production of thyroxin. for some, its a missing piece of the equation toward having more thyroxin, so we are steering away from hypo. the dose i took of n-aceetyl is alot over label use, but far less than l-tyrosine recommendations. it was a very clean energy. ive heard people describe it as better than coffee, but i wouldnt go that far. theres just more motivation, less sleeping every night
    I'm going to give it a whirl, starting with a low dosage.
    Since having my DNA tested after labs showing hyperthyroidism in October, I have been able to get off of 4 of the 6 medications I was put on. For me Sam-E was an easy switch off of Zoloft. O side effects and increased relief from ocd/anxiety. Balancing methylation has been a struggle and an ongoing process but well worth it.

  30. Quote Originally Posted by Matthersby View Post
    I'm going to give it a whirl, starting with a low dosage.
    Since having my DNA tested after labs showing hyperthyroidism in October, I have been able to get off of 4 of the 6 medications I was put on. For me Sam-E was an easy switch off of Zoloft. O side effects and increased relief from ocd/anxiety. Balancing methylation has been a struggle and an ongoing process but well worth it.
    wow. congradulations! there a famous dr, browstein, who really has got alot of interesting information on altering thyroid levels. if i could find his free information books, id remember what minerals he was talking about that are involved with the thyroid as well. copper and selenium came up, but i cant clarify at the moment the effect they had toward what you are achieving. selenium is involved in converting the inactive form of thyroxin to the acitve one, but copper may align with what you are doing; i dont know, i would have to find it and check, but i think i ditched the books he sent.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-13-2009, 07:10 PM
  2. Can anyone take a look and give an opinion?
    By LethalX in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-14-2005, 10:49 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-02-2005, 02:58 AM
  4. Anyone taking fish oil?
    By Moyer in forum Supplements
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-21-2005, 04:30 PM
  5. Need some advice on how I should take these..
    By strangebrew in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-28-2004, 12:17 PM
Log in
Log in