Lactose intollerant outta nowhere

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Sooo, about a month or two ago, my body, out of the blue, started rejecting dairy! Great....just friggin great!!! I tried making my protein shakes with water, but the whey still aggravated my stomach, and lactaid was no help.
I'm looking into other ways to get my proteins in. I'm a pretty hard gainer, so shakes are a must. What are your opinions on egg proteins? I'm looking into ON's, just looking for some feedback.
Thanks!

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Have you tried any Isolates like Isoflex or the Sytha 6 Iso? Those are easy for consumers with GI issues
No I haven't. I'll take a look at them though, thanks

UncleWade

UncleWade

Awards
  • Established
No I haven't. I'll take a look at them though, thanks
I'm sorry to hear about your recent bout of lactose intolerance, you may consult a health professional to have your health checked out and see if there is an underlying issue. Chances are that your body's balance just changed and there's no problem, but it's always best to take your health seriously.

If you're looking for a great-tasting option that won't cause gastrointestinal distress, iForce just came out with ISOtean. At ~$30 for around two pounds, it's one of the most inexpensive high quality isolates available...and I'm betting Nutraplanet will have killer deals on it soon, anyways. :D

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sooo, about a month or two ago, my body, out of the blue, started rejecting dairy! Great....just friggin great!!! I tried making my protein shakes with water, but the whey still aggravated my stomach, and lactaid was no help.
I'm looking into other ways to get my proteins in. I'm a pretty hard gainer, so shakes are a must. What are your opinions on egg proteins? I'm looking into ON's, just looking for some feedback.
Thanks!
Did you take any antibiotics? If you did ull need to rebuild your healthy gut bacteria by an elimination diet and supplementing with a good pre/probiotic product. If you didn't take an antibiotic my suggestion to you is to stop eating gmo garbage and go on a fast of all organic nuts fruits and veggies for a period of time. Look into leaky gut syndrome.

D

Duywayne

Awards
  • Established
You may be dairy intolerant. That goes beyond lactose and classifies dairy all together. Wont know until you remove all dairy foods and slowly start reintroducing.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks!
It's pretty common for people to become lactose intolerant as they get older, about 3/4 do to some extent. Egg-based ones should be fine, but do look into the isolates.

Reactions: mw1
mw1

mw1

Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's pretty common for people to become lactose intolerant as they get older, about 3/4 do to some extent. Egg-based ones should be fine, but do look into the isolates.
I just wish the Isolates werent so expensive these days. They are really unaffordable for the college age guys on here with limited cash

Agent Orange

Agent Orange

Awards
Wrivest- That sucks dude. I'm lactose intolerant too and it hit me late, when I was in high school. I was going to suggest lactaid, because it works great for me, but I just noticed that you said you tried it. Good luck man and I suggest Almond Milk to mix your protein shakes with, when you find a suitable protein source that doesn't mess with you.

B

burpees

Banned
Awards
Had the same issue, Whey Isolates give me NO issues, make sure the protein blend dont have Whey Concentrates in it, just straight Isolates.

Whey Concentrates give my stomach HELL.

Whey Isolates mixed w/ Lactaid milk,

aLinux

aLinux

Awards
I can't touch Whey Concentrate - but Whey Isolate is better than fine - it helps my stomach. Being a super hard gainer myself - any of these two helped me pack on muscle without feeling nauseous, as long as I stuck to plain Vanilla.

They're both same ingredient and both come in 10lbs Jugs/Bags

Ultimate Nutrition - ISO MASS XTREME (go with this if you're from USA)
MVP - POWER MASS XTREME (or this if you're in CANADA)

The only thing I like better about MVP is it don't have the fishy smell..and once i ordered peanut butter flavor
and it made me feel sick.... Vanilla is fine for both I find.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Awesome advice guys, I appreciate it. Gonna give myself the ultimate test and try pizza this weekend (it's my only food vice). If this fails, I'm gonna cry!!

F

fujindemon74

Awards
No such thing as a hard gainer, you're just an under-eater.

Try eating more whole food than will comfortably fit into your stomach about 4x/day.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
No such thing as a hard gainer, you're just an under-eater.

Try eating more whole food than will comfortably fit into your stomach about 4x/day.
I slightly disagree. While yes, normal I need to eat more, but that's not always easy on a tight budget. There have been times (deployed mostly) when the food is endless and I took FULL advantage! Eating between 4 and 6 times a day, and still had a very hard time gaining size and weight. It's almost like any time I do anything cardio based I lose 5lbs! It drives me nuts!

Agent Orange

Agent Orange

Awards
Awesome advice guys, I appreciate it. Gonna give myself the ultimate test and try pizza this weekend (it's my only food vice). If this fails, I'm gonna cry!!
Have you tried Lactaid with eating dairy products such as cheese or yogurt? It works for me. Maybe it's just the protein powder that's upsetting your stomach and Lactaid won't help.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
ISOTEAN is available now...100% lactose free, 30g of whey isolate per scoop, and only 29.99 for 2lbs. cant be beat!

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
F

fujindemon74

Awards
For the price of a latte I can buy a 32oz container of natural PB with 6400 calories, which is about 1142 cal/dollar.
For the price of about two lattes I can buy a 14oz container of virgin coconut oil with a total of 3360 calories, which is about 420 cal/dollar and also mixes well with my morning coffee. It has replaced pre-workouts for me a long time ago and I've saved a ton of $$$ which I use to buy real food.
My breakfast (lots of bacon, eggs, toast w/ prune spread) costs less than a latte, has about 1300 calories, which is about 325 cal/dollar.
In contrast, for the price of about 10 lattes I can buy a 4lb tub of protein with a total of 7770 calories, which is about 155 cal/dollar.

My budget is tight as well.
While my examples are limited, food is generally cheaper than supplements.

S

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
Chances are that your body's balance just changed and there's no problem
this
always good insight from UW..happened to me in my 20s
ISOTEAN is available now...100% lactose free, 30g of whey isolate per scoop, and only 29.99 for 2lbs. cant be beat!
$15/lb seems about average for a quality isolate, decent but no steal of deal
lots of options, in that price range..is always nice to have another option tho
Did you take any antibiotics? If you did ull need to rebuild your healthy gut bacteria by an elimination diet and supplementing with a good pre/probiotic product.
interesting point..too little is understood about digestive properties by the masses
I just wish the Isolates werent so expensive these days. They are really unaffordable for the college age guys on here with limited cash
hmm would rather pay more, for a hi-quality product than less to save $
understood on a budget - we all have one, all about making wise choices with what we have allotted
if you feel the need to skimp on protein/supps with cheap choices, put that $ toward quality foods instead
For the price of a latte I can buy a 32oz container of natural PB with 6400 calories, which is about 1142 cal/dollar.
For the price of about two lattes I can buy a 14oz container of virgin coconut oil with a total of 3360 calories, which is about 420 cal/dollar and also mixes well with my morning coffee. It has replaced pre-workouts for me a long time ago and I've saved a ton of $$$ which I use to buy real food.
My breakfast (lots of bacon, eggs, toast w/ prune spread) costs less than a latte, has about 1300 calories, which is about 325 cal/dollar.
In contrast, for the price of about 10 lattes I can buy a 4lb tub of protein with a total of 7770 calories, which is about 155 cal/dollar.

My budget is tight as well.
While my examples are limited, food is generally cheaper than supplements.
very nice, I am impressed :)

B

BigBrucy

Awards
Happened to me too but wiit heggs. If you eat too much of a food your body will reject it. Sucks. That's why a lot of asians are actually allergic to rice. Just the way the body works. Ease back into dairy.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Happened to me too but wiit heggs. If you eat too much of a food your body will reject it. Sucks. That's why a lot of asians are actually allergic to rice. Just the way the body works. Ease back into dairy.
Unless your drinking organic milk consider it a blessing. Conventional milk is awful for you.

S

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
^^ this
cow milk sucks, period..no grown man should be drinking milk
almond/coconut milk , FTW :thumbsup:

D

Duywayne

Awards
  • Established
Asians are allergic to rice? never heard that one before..

With Lactase its pretty well known that as we age we lose the enzymes to metabolize it. Happens to many (but not to all). Again you also may be dairy intolerant so even if you drink Whey Isolate you may still have issues.

S

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
Asians are allergic to rice? never heard that one before..
well..it's quite false to make a blanket statement such as was made there by that guy, however understand that rice is a grain, and some grains in general cause sensitivity in many ppl

I wouldn't say all Asians are allergic to rice - but, because of the prevalence of rice as a food item and the large population over there, the combination makes rice allergy a more common phenomenon than any other part of the world

N

nunzie59

Ditto

Same thing happened to me. When I had my annual physical, the doctor recommended I cut out the dairy, and if that wasn't enough, also cut out gluten. I have since switched to Goat Milk Protein and cut way back on the wheat products. It seems to make a huge difference in digestion.