Can too much Carnitine make you drowsy?

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
First of all I make my own PWO blend which has 2g PLCAR.. I take this blend around 7:30am

I tried taking my first dose of Caffeine Free Focus Xt yesterday, along w/ 1 g ALCAR and 12.5 mg E and 100 mg C, around 7 hours after my PWO...I honestly didn't feel the cognitive enhancements as its promoted to do.It made me feel sleepy. Could it simply be too much Carnitine causing this? I'm going to tinker with the dosing and try out a half a scoop w/ the same EC dosing and leave out the extra ALCAR for now

domore

Awards
My first guess would be the choline. Have you previously supplemented with choline?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Try .5-.75 scoop of the focus xt. That's the same thing that happens to me when I take a full scoop.

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
Try .5-.75 scoop of the focus xt. That's the same thing that happens to me when I take a full scoop.
I'll give it a go here shortly..Have you had any sort of sleep issues w/ it?

domore

Awards
Thats what I was thinking.. No I have not..
I would do as swain suggested; scale back the dose, and assess your reaction. If you can tolerate it, then work your way to a full scoop.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What do you mean by sleep issues? Trouble falling asleep? If that's the case my answer would be no. I have taken it in the evening and hit up the library to study numerous times and had no any issues falling asleep when I got home any of the times.

domore

Awards
I haven't seen many people who have experienced difficultly sleeping with caffeine-free FXT. However, I believe Coop referred to the activation of the Nucleus basalis of Meynert can promote wakefulness (in a round about way). There is a large concentration of cholinergic cells in the Nucleus basalis of Meynert, and the loss of the cells in Alzheimer's patients can be associated with a slowing of cortical EEG. Also, I think the EEG of REM sleep resembles that of the EEG of wakefulness. So, by increasing the ACh in the Nucleus basalis of Meynert, it might promote wakefulness.

I was definitely drawing strings there.
mr.cooper69, help!!!!

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
I haven't seen many people who have experienced difficultly sleeping with caffeine-free FXT. However, I believe Coop referred to the activation of the Nucleus basalis of Meynert can promote wakefulness (in a round about way). There is a large concentration of cholinergic cells in the Nucleus basalis of Meynert, and the loss of the cells in Alzheimer's patients can be associated with a slowing of cortical EEG. Also, I think the EEG of REM sleep resembles that of the EEG of wakefulness. So, by increasing the ACh in the Nucleus basalis of Meynert, it might promote wakefulness.

I was definitely drawing strings there.
mr.cooper69, help!!!!

I think I was browsing through the thread you are referencing, yesterday...I'm gonna go ahead and try out a half of a scoop.. I just took a short nap to take the edge off so I can't suspect that I'm just generally tired from working out earlier.

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
I've been hearing that w/ Focus Xt, that its a product that you notice increasing effects as you continue to use it.. Can anyone attest to this? Or does it provide similar effects with each dose?

edit: And is the "increased effectiveness" from it being built-up in the system? Or from being able to increase the dosage from .5 scoops, to .75, to 1 etc over time..

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Some people do not notice 'acute' benefits from ALCAR and Choline but rather, as you stated, the more consistantly you take the product, the better it becomes. I've never been the person who gets tunnel vision from taking supplements but I definitely notice when I add in ALCAR and Choline into my study regime. My ability to recall and store information is much greater than if I had not supplemented with it.