Nitrates and ephedrine?

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
Would stacking ephedrine with nitrates, negate the effectiveness of the nitrates ( in terms of vaso-dilation)?

mattys4

mattys4

Awards
was actually thinking this same thing, using Condense as my source for caffeine in ECA stack

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Didn't you say you were way ahead of me on this in the other thread? I'm confused :(.

Nitrates are NO donors, and ephedrine may actually improve skeletal muscle vasodilation while exercising since it is a beta-agonist chiefly. Even if ephedrine was a significant vasoconstrictor, NO donation from nitrates occurs at higher rates in hypoxic regions, so nitrates would offset any local vasoconstriction.

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
Didn't you say you were way ahead of me on this in the other thread? I'm confused :(.

Nitrates are NO donors, and ephedrine may actually improve skeletal muscle vasodilation while exercising since it is a beta-agonist chiefly. Even if ephedrine was a significant vasoconstrictor, NO donation from nitrates occurs at higher rates in hypoxic regions, so nitrates would offset any local vasoconstriction.
Yea I guess I did say that.. That was my mistake..
The answer you just gave just now is perfecto.. Thanks Coop

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
I know this is an old thread so if there's so response, it's all good. But isn't it characteristic of epinephrine to cause vaso-constriction?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I know this is an old thread so if there's so response, it's all good. But isn't it characteristic of epinephrine to cause vaso-constriction?
Epinephrine is a vasodilator, so no...

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
Epinephrine is a vasodilator, so no...
Okay, I had it in my notes that it increases renin secretion from the kidney, therefore increasing Angiotensin I (vaso-constrictor). And II would produce aldosterone to reabsorb sodium & water and in turn raising BP... You've mentioned previously that the body responds to exercise with vaso-dilation anyways, and that combined with the nitrates, would still yield optimal levels of blood flow..

Edit: Perhaps it just diverts blood flow from non-essential organs to skeletal muscle..Therefore its both constriction and dilation.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Okay, I had it in my notes that it increases renin secretion from the kidney, therefore increasing Angiotensin I (vaso-constrictor). And II would produce aldosterone to reabsorb sodium & water and in turn raising BP... You've mentioned previously that the body responds to exercise with vaso-dilation anyways, and that combined with the nitrates, would still yield optimal levels of blood flow..

Edit: Perhaps it just diverts blood flow from non-essential organs to skeletal muscle..Therefore its both constriction and dilation.
First, it is angiotensin II, not I, that is the strongest vasoconstrictor in the body. Second, yes epinephrine has that effect, but in skeletal muscle it is a vasodilator. This discussion is not about gi viscera and other regions. Exercise is a vasodilator BECAUSE of epinephrine secretion. Epinephrine increases preload as well, but nitrates reduce both preload and afterload.

mattys4

mattys4

Awards
good discussion here

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
First, it is angiotensin II, not I, that is the strongest vasoconstrictor in the body. Second, yes epinephrine has that effect, but in skeletal muscle it is a vasodilator. This discussion is not about gi viscera and other regions. Exercise is a vasodilator BECAUSE of epinephrine secretion. Epinephrine increases preload as well, but nitrates reduce both preload and afterload.
Yes, II not I, that's my mistake. So the aldosterone secretion, Angiotensin II and thus vasoconstriction is isolated to non-skeletal muscle tissue following epinepherine secretion..