Beef, Egg, Whey...which 1?

609dean

Awards
What protein powder(s) do u guys use nd y? Nd what brand(s)

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Whatever one i like that's on sale. At the moment i only buy XF Ultra Peptide 2.0 and Giant Sports. If Thermolife makes Vasolate again i'll purchase that as well.

Aryon

Aryon

Awards
Optimum french vanilla. Costs a good deal but I get it...because it tastes good. And has a good fat/carb/protein ratio. I feel It'd be more worth it in the long run if it tastes great because I won't be skipping any shakes. Also makes pretty damn good pancakes/waffles/pudding.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
giant sports chocolate
dymatize double chocolate
or myofusion

609dean

Awards
Optimum french vanilla. Costs a good deal but I get it...because it tastes good. And has a good fat/carb/protein ratio. I feel It'd be more worth it in the long run if it tastes great because I won't be skipping any shakes. Also makes pretty damn good pancakes/waffles/pudding.
ON GS? Yea that's a classic

Clemenza

Awards
  • Established
Healthy n fit egg protein

Also just got a tub of USP oxy elite protein and I'm loving it

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
ON strawberry :] and eggs in the morning of course!

609dean

Awards
Healthy n fit egg protein

Also just got a tub of USP oxy elite protein and I'm loving it
Lately I've been using Healthy n Fits egg protein too. What do u think of it? I feel that egg protein is alot healther for u nd easier to digest

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Protean Chocolate Truffle, and I usually add 1/2 cup cottage cheese to it for more protein!

Mike

Clemenza

Awards
  • Established
Lately I've been using Healthy n Fits egg protein too. What do u think of it? I feel that egg protein is alot healther for u nd easier to digest
I do digest egg protein very easily. Sometimes if I take too much whey too often I start having stomach issues. Depends on the whey also.

Mryan1

Awards
Whey protein, they're coming out with better and better all natural products these days. Some of the processed whey can mess with my stomach.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Beef = hydrolyzed collagen (bad)
Egg = low bioavailability unless cooked (so powder is usually meh)
Whey = best of the 3

Touey

Touey

Awards
Whey = best of the 3
Collagen protein is an important addition for any anti-aging, weight loss, skin, or wellness program.
As we age, our body’s ability to produce and maintain collagen diminishes.
Collagen is the most important structural protein in the human body and we see and feel the effects of this loss as wrinkles form, skin sags, hair dulls, nails become brittle, joints stiffen and our bodies lose muscle tone.
Daily supplementing with enzymatically hydrolyzed collagen can help support a more youthful feeling body and appearance. Medically used enzymatically hydrolyzed liquid collagen protein promotes lean muscle tissue and beautiful hair, skin and nails.

coop what are your take on this statement

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Medically used enzymatically hydrolyzed liquid collagen protein promotes lean muscle tissue and beautiful hair, skin and nails.

Collagen is the building block of connective tissue, so yeah I guess

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
when it comes to powder it's whey for me....i usually go with a blend of isolate and concentrate like Protean

but egg white international egg white liquid has been getting added to my shakes for some time now

Touey

Touey

Awards
So why bad coop?
Whey = best of the 3
Collagen protein is an important addition for any anti-aging, weight loss, skin, or wellness program.
As we age, our body’s ability to produce and maintain collagen diminishes.
Collagen is the most important structural protein in the human body and we see and feel the effects of this loss as wrinkles form, skin sags, hair dulls, nails become brittle, joints stiffen and our bodies lose muscle tone.
Daily supplementing with enzymatically hydrolyzed collagen can help support a more youthful feeling body and appearance. Medically used enzymatically hydrolyzed liquid collagen protein promotes lean muscle tissue and beautiful hair, skin and nails.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Because you edited your post. Now it's completely false. Collagen doesn't promote skeletal muscle tissue production

Touey

Touey

Awards
Because you edited your post. Now it's completely false. Collagen doesn't promote skeletal muscle tissue production
Is AminoSculpt Liquid Collagen Protein 5x Better Than Whey?
April 3, 2013 | By Chris in Joint Health, Optimal Health, Weight Loss

For Burning Fat, Improving Bad Skin, and Supporting Joints – The Studies Say Yes!
While whey is a widely used source of dietary protein, those interested in losing fat and developing firmer, toner and more youthful-looking bodies could benefit by using collagen protein.

Better yet, most people notice these improvements immediately – along with its many other “side benefits”, like quicker recovery, increased energy, better joint function, improved hair, skin, and nails – and even better sleep.

WHY MOST ARE “COLLAGEN DEFICIENT”
Collagen is the most important structural substance in our bodies, accounting for over 50% of its total protein. Our muscle fibers, ligaments, tendons, bones, as well as the organic part of our bones and teeth are all composed of and held together by collagen. It’s even 90% of our skin, hair, and nails. Collagen is literally the glue that holds our bodies together.

After the age of 30, we lose about 1% of our collagen per year, and simultaneously, our body’s ability to make collagen diminishes. Stress (even from exercise and dieting) breaks down collagen. Altogether, we become “collagen deficient.”

This loss is why our skin sags and wrinkles, our hair becomes thinner and duller, our nails are brittle or weak, and our joints are stiffer and less flexible. It takes longer to recover, and our bodies are softer and have less tone.

But there is good news: Supplementing with collagen protein helps improve and reverse many of these effects.

IMPRESSIVE MEDICAL USE AND SCIENCE
collagen1

A specific type of collagen protein (hydrolyzed) has been used for over 30 years in the medical industry for wound healing, improving muscle (firmness, preserving lean muscle), increasing skeletal muscle protein, and treating burn victims. It also has studies to support weight loss.

Research from Harvard Medical School showed that collagen protein has a significantly higher nitrogen balance than egg, meat, or fish.

Unfortunately, a lack of consumer awareness and availability to the general public has contributed to collagen protein being overlooked and misunderstood by most.

WHY COLLAGEN IS BETTER THAN WHEY AND OTHER PROTEIN
Unlike whey and other proteins, collagen’s amino acid composition gives it a significant advantage in promoting fat-loss, building a firm, toned body, as well as improving skin appearance and recovery by providing:

Hydroxyproline and Hydroxylysine:
These amino acids are exclusive to collagen and are NOT found in other protein sources. They preserve lean body mass, promote protein and carbohydrate metabolism, promote wound and tissue healing, and support bone and connective tissue. AminoSculpt’s liquid collagen has 2.2 g vs. NONE in whey (per 15 g serving).
collagen2More High-Nitrogen Amino Acids:
Gram for gram, AminoSculpt’s liquid collagen contains 451% more Glycine, 333% more Arginine, and 162% more Proline. And collagen contains Hydroxyproline. These amino acids affect muscle retention, wound and tissue healing, fat loss, bones, connective tissue, and skin elasticity. They also improve sleep while stimulating bodily growth and repair.
More Conditionally Indispensable Amino Acids (CIAAs):
Age, stress, illness, exercise and even dieting can cause normally “Non-Essential” amino acids to become “Conditionally Indispensable”, meaning they now must be obtained from food. Supplementing with them becomes essential for muscle recovery, skin and repair, and maintaining a lean, toned body. AminoSculpt’s liquid collagen has 9.9 g of CIAAs vs. 3 g in whey.
SUPERIOR ABSORPTION TO WHEY
The true effectiveness of protein supplements ultimately depends on how much absorbs, which is affected by digestibility. Age, stress, exercise, illness, digestive issues and food allergies can diminish our digestive ability of proteins.

The medically used form of collagen protein, AminoSculpt is “hydrolyzed” or predigested, allowing it to be completely and immediately absorbed. This is why so many people who have digestive issues, sluggish metabolisms, soft or unresponsive bodies, as well as athletes, notice dramatic and immediate results, as well as increased energy.

EASIER TO USE THAN POWDERS
One of the most appealing things about collagen protein is it requires no mixing. Unlike whey, collagen protein is highly concentrated, so only one half to two ounces of its great tasting liquid is needed per day.

WHAT TO LOOK FOR WHEN SHOPPING FOR COLLAGEN

AminoSculpt contains 15 grams of liquid collagen in every ounce
The quality and effectiveness of collagen proteins varies greatly. Quality collagen products should be Type I Collagen (which composes 90% of the body) and “enzymatically” hydrolyzed to insure the best absorption.

Lesser quality collagen typically add other ingredients, like vitamins, Tryptophan (collagen does NOT contain this amino acid), or other types of collagen (Type II or III).

To find the original, patented collagen used by the medical community, look for the AminoSculpt® brand name and the ingredient name “CollaPure™” in the Supplement Facts.

While whey protein definitely has its place as a supplemental protein, the unique amino acids in collagen protein provide the additional and missing factors that target and noticeably improve one’s body shape, appearance and weight loss. Health enthusiasts at any age or fitness level will notice impressive improvements when adding collagen to their diets.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. So you will disagree with the above coop?
2. Also trying to understand why you are thinking hydrolyzed collagen "is bad"?

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
Protean Vanilla Cupcake Batter lately just so I can add Muscle Egg to it easily and get a milk shake flavor.

Otherwise Chocolate Truffle for ice cream or Strawberry.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Hydrolyzed collagen is the lowest quality protein imaginable. It contains chiefly non-essential amino acids and/or hydroxylated amino acids that cannot contribute to muscle hypertrophy. It's the reason we eat actual meat, not connective tissue of animals. It is much worse than whey and really only useful for joint support in people age 65+

jerrysiii

jerrysiii

Awards
  • Established
Whey = best of the 3
Would your bioavailability rating also apply to liquid egg whites (uncooked carton stuff). I'm currently using a lot of these.

Touey

Touey

Awards
Hydrolyzed collagen is the lowest quality protein imaginable. It contains chiefly non-essential amino acids and/or hydroxylated amino acids that cannot contribute to muscle hypertrophy. It's the reason we eat actual meat, not connective tissue of animals. It is much worse than whey and really only useful for joint support in people age 65+
coop thank,

Am trying to understand American way of advertising. Mother in law suggested this AminoSculpt actually by her physician(she is only 59).

It is confusing when trying to help and there are things in ads that by your true declaration are slanderous.
thank for the true honesty coop

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Would your bioavailability rating also apply to liquid egg whites (uncooked carton stuff). I'm currently using a lot of these.
It would indeed. You should cook eggs whenever possible

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I use MGN Cake Batter and it really tastes like cake! I also like their Rocky Road and Ice Cream Sandwich too. Depends on my mood. If you would like samples let me know.

bigflex0

bigflex0

Awards
Coop, wouldn't egg protein powders have to be pasteurized at some point by law? Would this not be considered cooked and no longer raw? Just wondering.

I would have to agree with the beef protein on the market not being as great as it sounds. Taken from a site that sells beef isolate:
Our Beef Protein Isolate has been produced by boiling down beef flesh, skimming the fat, drying the remaining aminos, and instantizing them in the spray-drying process for easy mixibility.

That sounds like a lot of heat to me and thus denaturing. Perhaps I am wrong but I will stick with other sources.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
the bioavailability of pasteruized liquid egg whites are 100%....so theres no need to cook them if you don't want to

What Is The Protein Benefit of Egg Whites?

Egg White protein is the purest form of protein known to man in the entire world. Each 8-ounce cup gives you 26 grams of pure protein, only 2 grams of carbohydrates, NO fat and NO cholesterol. They are 100% bio-available, which means NONE of it's amino acids are wasted. No artificial protein powder can make that claim. Other high protein sourced foods and supplements need to be broken down before the body absorbs the protein. All natural products have always been the recommended way to get the nutrients your body needs.

laneanders

laneanders

Awards
I tend to go with whey for powder, and my personal favorites are iForce Protean or Isotean and XF UP.

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
So when faced with a choice between a whey protein supplement or a blended supplement of whey, egg and casein which should you choose if you could only buy one product.

Touey

Touey

Awards
So when faced with a choice between a whey protein supplement or a blended supplement of whey, egg and casein which should you choose if you could only buy one product.
whey/casein blend

eggs are great also to get protein from variation of many healthy foods will benefit wellness

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
the bioavailability of pasteruized liquid egg whites are 100%....so theres no need to cook them if you don't want to

What Is The Protein Benefit of Egg Whites?

Egg White protein is the purest form of protein known to man in the entire world. Each 8-ounce cup gives you 26 grams of pure protein, only 2 grams of carbohydrates, NO fat and NO cholesterol. They are 100% bio-available, which means NONE of it's amino acids are wasted. No artificial protein powder can make that claim. Other high protein sourced foods and supplements need to be broken down before the body absorbs the protein. All natural products have always been the recommended way to get the nutrients your body needs.
This is what we call advertising. This, conversely, is real data:

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/128/10/1716.full

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
To be clear, the pasteurization changes the bioavailability of the raw egg white? Sounds like good news to me.
Pasteurization removes certain enzymes like trypsin inhibitors that hamper bioavailability, but it does not allow for the actual physical transformation that improves bioavailability by allowing endogenous enzyme accessibility. This is mentioned right in the text I linked. Had he not been so pre-emptive in saying "not reading that," he'd understand the WHY, but that's ok, many of us aren't curious

infraredline

Awards
Eggs are the most bioavailable protein source and has the highest leucine content besides elk or moose meat. That being said at least with me eggs will mess with my stomach if I eat them to often.

Red meat and whey are also great quality protein sources, especially if you are getting your whey from foods such as cottage cheese.

Usually in my opinion it's best to mix protein sources and combine different ones each meal because each protein source has different benefits that come with them.

infraredline

Awards
Eggs are the most bioavailable protein source and has the highest leucine content besides elk or moose meat. That being said at least with me eggs will mess with my stomach if I eat them to often.

Red meat and whey are also great quality protein sources, especially if you are getting your whey from foods such as cottage cheese.

Usually in my opinion it's best to mix protein sources and combine different ones each meal because each protein source has different benefits that come with them.

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
I don't think anybody is questioning the quality of egg protein but its bioavailibility in raw form. According to the article Coop posted its best to cook your eggs rather than having it in any other form.

LivingStrongE

Awards
I use Isotean. Used it for my bulk but mostly for my cutting stage of my prep. It's lean and if I need extra carbs I blend it with some old fashion oats.

dkgreene88

dkgreene88

Awards
  • Established
I used to use iForce Red Velvet Protean daily until they released Isotean. Now I use them interchangeably depending on my goals!

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
The reps that are pushing their products in every thread is getting ridiculous.

scoooter

scoooter

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
agreed ^

At a minimum they should have at least described the type (egg, beef, whey, iso, ect...) of protein in their product to make it relavent to this threads discussion.

Touey

Touey

Awards
Protean Vanilla Cupcake Batter lately just so I can add Muscle Egg to it easily and get a milk shake flavor.

Otherwise Chocolate Truffle for ice cream or Strawberry.
I tend to go with whey for powder, and my personal favorites are iForce Protean or Isotean and XF UP.
I use Isotean. Used it for my bulk but mostly for my cutting stage of my prep. It's lean and if I need extra carbs I blend it with some old fashion oats.
I used to use iForce Red Velvet Protean daily until they released Isotean. Now I use them interchangeably depending on my goals!
They sure do put on some hardwork

laneanders

laneanders

Awards
The write-up is a little beyond me. Can we determine from the study the amount raw egg protein that is absorbed - as a percentage? For example, if I add 1/2 cup of egg whites to a shake, I think I'm getting 10gm of protein. What is actually being absorbed?
I've read studies that suggest approximately 50% decrease in bioavailability of uncooked egg protein. Not sure the exact percentage but I've seen at least two that suggest somewhere in that range.

Edit: That's actually one of them I read it says "In this study, it was shown that after ingestion of 25 g of raw egg protein, almost 50% is malabsorbed over 24 h."

I used to drink eggs also as they are readily available and require no time at all to ingest in raw form. After discovering the loss of bio-availability (think it was Mr. Cooper 2 years ago on bb that told me about it) not to mention the risk of salmonella, I stopped drinking them.

Another Edit: "The study showed that egg protein is more digestible (94% versus 55-64%) when heated, probably due to alteration of the protein’s structure and the ability of digestive enzymes to infiltrate peptide bonds."

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
To be clear, the pasteurization changes the bioavailability of the raw egg white? Sounds like good news to me.
from my reading i did before i started using the liquid egg whites, yes, if done correctly the egg whites become just as bioavailable as cooked eggs....it's just easier to post straight from their site as it was months ago i researched the information and found what the site states is correct

no offense coop, i was at work, i don't have time to read 10 pages of it...plus i did my own reading as i too was leary of drinking egg whites...as i can't eat eggs everyday, they make me sick

The human body cannot completely and safely digest a raw egg white. So, if you like to do the "Rocky Routine" with a raw egg or raw egg white in your drink, you are wasting your time, not to mention the threat of Salmonella. Avidin, which is found in raw egg whites, blocks the uptake of Vitamin B6 (Biotin) causing a vitamin deficiency. You must cook the egg white to neutralize the Avidin and allow your body to safely digest the protein and utilize all its Amino acids. Unfortunately, cooking also starts to destory the protein.

Our 100% pure liquid egg whites from Egg Whites International are heat pasteurized and salmonella tested. The pasteurization process heats the egg white to 134 degrees for 3½ minutes. This heat kills the salmonella and neutralizes the Avidin to allow the egg whites to be digested safely by the human body. When you cook an egg white to the point of scrambled eggs, you are overcooking the protein and denaturing the true value of the protein. Therefore, 100% Pure Liquid Egg Whites are liquid but not raw, making them the purest form of protein In The Entire World! They will stay good in your refrigerator for 90 to 120 days and can be safely kept frozen indefinitely.

i could care less if ppl use them or not.....but 1 scoop of Protean and 3/4 cup of egg whites, some coconut oil and you got yourself a pretty nice shake