Protein....

MusclesFrogs

Awards
Guys, there have been a LOT of vague answers here based simply on what you do as opposed to the factual science of it. Got it, meat has more nutrients, oils, etc. But my question is, can anyone link me to any "scientific data" that shows eating meat increases muscle growth more/faster than the equivalent amount of protein taken via WPI. I don't want to hear any anecdotal data about what you do and how it helps, Im just curious if there's a link to a scientific study that compares the two - that is all that matters.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
Now would this be a study that involves trolls or actual men that actually lift?

Oooh ooh ooh me like meat! me like protein! Me lift big weight to make muscle!

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
I cant believe this retard doesn't get that you can't do a study on this shiz..And why the fug wud anyone wanna live off protein shakes?! Here's one variable that no study will be able to pinpoint. No two people metabolize food the exact same way.

musclefool

musclefool

Awards
  • Established
I haven't had a protein shake in about 6 months and I have been doin better without it. Meats all day

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
I haven't had a protein shake in about 6 months and I have been doin better without it. Meats all day
Nice, I'd love to be able to do that instead of shakes , do you eat larger portions of meat with breakfast, lunch and dinner or do you eat say 6 meals a day with meat every one. Just seems you'd have to do ALOT of eating to get even 1g per lb of BW and on top of that seems pricey not to mention time consuming.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Guys, there have been a LOT of vague answers here based simply on what you do as opposed to the factual science of it. Got it, meat has more nutrients, oils, etc. But my question is, can anyone link me to any "scientific data" that shows eating meat increases muscle growth more/faster than the equivalent amount of protein taken via WPI. I don't want to hear any anecdotal data about what you do and how it helps, Im just curious if there's a link to a scientific study that compares the two - that is all that matters.
Use common sense here, when you eat something, think about each step of digestion. Your body is designed for solid real food.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
Use common sense here, when you eat something, think about each step of digestion. Your body is designed for solid real food.
I don't think this guy has much of that otherwise he wouldn't be pressing such a dumb ass topic so persistently.

musclefool

musclefool

Awards
  • Established
Nice, I'd love to be able to do that instead of shakes , do you eat larger portions of meat with breakfast, lunch and dinner or do you eat say 6 meals a day with meat every one. Just seems you'd have to do ALOT of eating to get even 1g per lb of BW and on top of that seems pricey not to mention time consuming.
That's your opinion.
And I have mine :)

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
Dude chicken breast is 1.99 per lb.. 1lb of chickens got about 100g of protein. I eat at least 8oz for at least 3 meals. Not difficult or expensive and only takes about 45 min to cook up my food for the day

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hitting protein goals with all whole foods isn't really that hard. Chicken breast man. Even a grilled cheese sandwich with two slices of cheese elicits roughly 20g of protein. Have two 40g. Drink 16 oz of milk 16 more. 6 eggs for breakfast 36g. Two cans of tuna 44g without bread... that's roughly 130g without meat. Add in some grilled chicken, steak, lean ground beef, Turkey, salmon and you'll be surprised.

Rough estimations but the point remains the same

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
Dude chicken breast is 1.99 per lb.. 1lb of chickens got about 100g of protein. I eat at least 8oz for at least 3 meals. Not difficult or expensive and only takes about 45 min to cook up my food for the day
I just can't get that much chicken down anymore. I've cooked it every which way under the sun and can't do it in that quantity.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
Hitting protein goals with all whole foods isn't really that hard. Chicken breast man. Even a grilled cheese sandwich with two slices of cheese elicits roughly 20g of protein. Have two 40g. Drink 16 oz of milk 16 more. 6 eggs for breakfast 36g. Two cans of tuna 44g without bread... that's roughly 130g without meat. Add in some grilled chicken, steak, lean ground beef, Turkey, salmon and you'll be surprised.

Rough estimations but the point remains the same
Yeah , you're right, I was thinking of the meats I eat and was thinking damn that would be hard to get all that in. I also didn't consider dairy since I've cut that out completely from my diet. I'm so burnt on chicken and tuna I barely touch either anymore. So mainly my whole food protein intake consists of eggs, steak and ground turkey with snacks like almonds , natty PB ,etc throughout the day. On average I get probably 120-140 grams a day from food and the rest from shakes 2-3 times a day to account per lb of BW. Once I start bulking again ill have to get over my taste buds and dairy bloating issues.

musclefool

musclefool

Awards
  • Established
I think you misinterpreted my post. I was inquiring about your diet and asking questions not making an opinion.
Oh well you should do some research and you will find the knowledge you need

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
But but but I like my protein shakes all 12 of them daily :[

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
my question is, can anyone link me to any "scientific data" that shows eating meat increases muscle growth more/faster than the equivalent amount of protein taken via WPI.
and this is what happens when we get all sciency

the body is not a textbook

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Well, you do have the right to be an attorney if you want to.

Gotta use all tools available to us: science, anecdotal feedback, experience, etc... If you're one sided biased (which I know you're not) you miss out on A LOT of possibilities, period.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
Gotta use all tools available to us: science, anecdotal feedback, experience, etc... If you're one sided biased (which I know you're not) you miss out on A LOT of possibilities, period.
words to live by :)
you paraphrase me well, youngblood

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Those two can't really be compared fairly and you sort of stated that. A piece of meat that is equivalent in protein content to a protein shake has many additional factors (fat, calories, etc.).

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
another whole food-protein shake debate......sigh

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
Looks like we finally shut the troll up

gravitygames

Awards
Just eat it! eat the **** out of what ever get it down find a dam appetite. you will grow. you are what ya eat!!

MusclesFrogs

Awards
I cant believe this retard doesn't get that you can't do a study on this shiz..And why the fug wud anyone wanna live off protein shakes?! Here's one variable that no study will be able to pinpoint. No two people metabolize food the exact same way.
By your grammar, you're far too intelligent for me to compete with.

MusclesFrogs

Awards
MuscleFrogs... I will try to be honest wiff you, there are NNOOOOOOOOOOOOO Studies ASSSS noone would take on such a thing... You NEED WHOLE FOODS FROGER......... There is No Way WPI is going 2 fit dat bill..
Hi Touey, you're basing that on nothing. Quite literally, by definition, you are basing that on nothing.

MusclesFrogs

Awards
I know it is, but protein powder is real food. It's whey. And it is delivering protein.

MusclesFrogs

Awards

Love it when people use the word "sciency" - you're right, there's nothing "sciency" about the human body, and there's definitely no textbooks about the human body. Such valid points you've made. Hope next time you go to the doctor, you tell him not to be sciency when examining your body

MusclesFrogs

Awards
Those two can't really be compared fairly and you sort of stated that. A piece of meat that is equivalent in protein content to a protein shake has many additional factors (fat, calories, etc.).
Hi Aleks, I know, would like to see if those additional factors, fat, calories, etc. actually have a significant difference in muscle growth.

MusclesFrogs

Awards
How am I being a douche sir?
Don't be offended, you should know that Mike is an insecure defensive numnut who, with the most sincere form of idiocy, lamely attacks anyone who shows him that he's in actuality, an idiot.

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
Dude you are seriously retarted. This earth would be better off without you wasting valuable air

Touey

Touey

Awards
Hi Touey, you're basing that on nothing. Quite literally, by definition, you are basing that on nothing.
I know, actually maybe some will have a base for studying the comparison & who knows it shall turn up with wpi having for the better than wholefoods, but when I have too much whey for my personally I feel less from the benefit vs wholefoods...

MusclesFrogs

Awards
Dude you are seriously retarted. This earth would be better off without you wasting valuable air
Whoooa, I don't know how to recover from your witticisms. They're far too clever for me

MusclesFrogs

Awards
I know, actually maybe some will have a base for studying the comparison & who knows it shall turn up with wpi having for the better than wholefoods, but when I have too much whey for my personally I feel less from the benefit vs wholefoods...
That's at least fair and rational - unlike some members on this thread.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hi Aleks, I know, would like to see if those additional factors, fat, calories, etc. actually have a significant difference in muscle growth.
You're seriously questioning whether or not extra calories contribute to muscle growth!? What's next...questioning whether testosterone makes a significant difference?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
You're seriously questioning whether or not extra calories contribute to muscle growth!? What's next...questioning whether testosterone makes a significant difference?
That is what he was saying in the other thread. I think he is under the illusion that protein alone dictates weight gain, at least this is how I interpreted it

MusclesFrogs

Awards
Yes, that is exactly what I am questioning. If there is not a scientific study proving it does, it would be irrational to not question it. Does that not make sense to you. And I am not talking about mass, I am talking about muscle mass. Obviously more calories will increase mass, but which.

MusclesFrogs

Awards
That is what he was saying in the other thread. I think he is under the illusion that protein alone dictates weight gain, at least this is how I interpreted it
Misinterpreted. Not discussing weight gain. Discussing muscle gain.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes, that is exactly what I am questioning. If there is not a scientific study proving it does, it would be irrational to not question it. Does that not make sense to you. And I am not talking about mass, I am talking about muscle mass. Obviously more calories will increase mass, but which.
FFS, you're just a lost cause. There are an incalculable number of factors that play into the hypertrophic response beyond a specific macronutrient. It's irrational to not understand how mutlifaceted this equation is and that there will never be a definitive statement that will apply to everyone based on simple percentages and genetics. You first need to initiate an appropriate metabolic response before any hypertrophy can occur and, again, there will never be a universal approach to this. You then have to take into account genetic factors, lifestyle, age, work capacity, caloric intake, insulin responses, etc.. However, what you're essentially questioning is thermodynamics and those are proven laws of physics.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
guy is making friends so rapidly!
his stay here is certain to be enjoyable

Danb2285

Danb2285

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

MusclesFrogs

Awards
FFS, you're just a lost cause. There are an incalculable number of factors that play into the hypertrophic response beyond a specific macronutrient. It's irrational to not understand how mutlifaceted this equation is and that there will never be a definitive statement that will apply to everyone based on simple percentages and genetics. You first need to initiate an appropriate metabolic response before any hypertrophy can occur and, again, there will never be a universal approach to this. You then have to take into account genetic factors, lifestyle, age, work capacity, caloric intake, insulin responses, etc.. However, what you're essentially questioning is thermodynamics and those are proven laws of physics.
You're wrong, you're just obfuscating the issue by misdirecting the intent. You can definitely do studies with a large enough sample group to account for variable that still shows a consistent value. And the averaged data will account for anomalies.