CoQ10

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
I had picked up some CoQ10 (Ubquionine) today hearing that it has benefits for cellular energy and BP etc. I was wondering if anyone has any experience using this and can attest to its effectiveness...Thanks in advance..

emssherill

Awards
I had picked up some CoQ10 (Ubquionine) today hearing that it has benefits for cellular energy and BP etc. I was wondering if anyone has any experience using this and can attest to its effectiveness...Thanks in advance..
It's a blood thinner.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
i used it to lower bp on my last cycle...

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
How well did it work? What was it before and after?
i just went off "feeling" but my headaches went away at the same time i started it..

wicked442

wicked442

Board Sponsor
Awards
Cool. Thats what im after. Having headaches from dbol at times.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Theres a good write up floating around with all kinds of benefits.....

lronFist

Banned
Awards
For BP there are a lot cheaper and just as effective options
The only subset of pathological HTN for which coenzyme q10 has shown any use is the exceptional minority whose elevated BP is the result of rampant superoxide radicals and subsequent NO-inactivation. Even so, large clinical studies have shown no significant benefit.

Google scholar: "Study of coenzyme Q10" author:Yamagami

Reactions: mw1
mw1

mw1

Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The only subset of pathological HTN for which coenzyme q10 has shown any use is the exceptional minority whose elevated BP is the result of rampant superoxide radicals and subsequent NO-inactivation. Even so, large clinical studies have shown no significant benefit.

Google scholar: "Study of coenzyme Q10" author:Yamagami
Thanks - More reason no to buy it. CoQ10 and SAMe are both over rated ingreds IMO. The benefits of both don't justify the cost

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
COQ10 supplementation in healthy individuals is a lot like PQQ supplementation: largely worthless

Bamski

Bamski

Awards
  • Established
COQ10 supplementation in healthy individuals is a lot like PQQ supplementation: largely worthless
If one did supplement it, doesn't it take like 2-3 months to start seeing/getting the benefits since its the only antioxidant we internally synthesize?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
If one did supplement it, doesn't it take like 2-3 months to start seeing/getting the benefits since its the only antioxidant we internally synthesize?
Sure, but do you have reason to believe that you have a CoQ10 deficiency?

lronFist

Banned
Awards
It's not the only antioxidant humans synthesize (i.e. glutathione peroxidase, catalase, ALA, SOD, et cetra).

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bamski

Bamski

Awards
  • Established
It's not the only antioxidant humans synthesize (i.e. glutathione peroxidase, catalase, ALA, SOD, et cetra).
Enzymes that can act as antioxidants. I'm talking about the only lipid soluble antioxidant.

Coop, not saying I believe I have a deficiency, I know it's expensive. Just asking haha

Ballesteri

Ballesteri

Awards
[h=2][/h]To maximize your cardiovascular health, cognitive functions, cellular health and energy production after the age of 40, Robert J. Barry, Ph.D., former principle adviser for the National Institutes of Health and scientific authority on CoQ10, recommends starting at 200 to 300 mg per day for three weeks -- the length of time it takes to achieve plasma plateau. After three weeks, a daily amount of 50 to 100 mg tends to be a good daily maintenance dose for most individuals.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
[h=2][/h]To maximize your cardiovascular health, cognitive functions, cellular health and energy production after the age of 40, Robert J. Barry, Ph.D., former principle adviser for the National Institutes of Health and scientific authority on CoQ10, recommends starting at 200 to 300 mg per day for three weeks -- the length of time it takes to achieve plasma plateau. After three weeks, a daily amount of 50 to 100 mg tends to be a good daily maintenance dose for most individuals.
After 40, I'd rather take Ubiquinol.

Ballesteri

Ballesteri

Awards
After 40, I'd rather take Ubiquinol.
THE BASICS: Ubiquinol is a reduced, more bioavailable form of coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10), a substance produced by the human body that's necessary for the basic functioning of cells. HEALTH BENEFITS: When we’re young, ubiquinol is the predominant form of CoQ10 in nearly every cell in our bodies. As we get older, our ability to efficiently produce both CoQ10 and its electron-rich ubiquinol form declines. This results in less cellular energy and diminished protection against oxidation, which can lead to cellular damage. CoQ10 levels tend to be low in patients with certain chronic conditions, including heart disease, cancer, Parkinson’s disease, and diabetes. Statin drugs may also lower CoQ10 levels.Ubiquinol has been known to scientists since in the late 1950s. Research on ubiquinol appeared in scientific journals throughout the ’70s, ’80s, and ’90s, even though large quantities weren't commercially available. These early studies provided evidence of the critical roles ubiquinol plays in the production of cellular energy and protection against oxidative damage to DNA. Newer studies show that ubiquinol may benefit cardiovascular, neurodegenerative, and mitochondrial disorders; diabetes; periodontal disease; and hypertension.WHAT YOU SHOULD TAKE: A review of the studies published to date consistently shows that, in comparison to conventional CoQ10, supplementation with ubiquinol results in increased bioavailability and higher cellular ubiquinol levels. Ubiquinol has only recently become available in large quantities in supplement form. The recommended dosage is typically 50—100 mg daily, taken with food, preferably with fat.- Robert J. Barry, Ph.D., former principle adviser for the National Institutes of Health

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Age, statin-use, or pathology in energy production are valid reasons to use ubiquinol. I don't understand why one would ever load CoQ10 then taper down to a maintenance dose. Longterm studies show adequate retention, and plus, it's still endogenously synthesized irrespective of dietary intake.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Age and statin use which describes half the US population at this point.

Ballesteri

Ballesteri

Awards
A Supplement Everyone Over 30 Should be Taking

As our bodies age, CoQ10 production is significantly reduced

CoEnzyme Q10, also known as CoQ10, is a lipid-soluble compound that is needed for energy throughout the entire body. But your body’s natural production declines with age and a deficiency of this nutrient could cause a myriad of health complications.
Found in the body’s “cellular power plants” known as mitochondria, the presence of CoQ10 is required for the healthy production of adenosine triphosphate (ATP). This tricky process occurs via aerobic cellular respiration, a key metabolic process your body uses to create energy.
Since roughly 95 percent of your body’s energy is supplied this way, CoQ10’s role in efficiently generating ATP, and therefore the energy your body needs, is critical.
In the human body, the highest concentrations of CoQ10 can be found in the organs with the highest energy requirements, such as the heart, brain and liver.
What Can CoQ10 Do for You?

CoQ10 supports every muscle contraction, your immune system, as well as every bit of energy production sourced from metabolic processes. Additionally, CoQ10 offers your body powerful antioxidant protection. It possesses the ability to transport electrons, thereby protecting your cells from damaging free radicals.
Should You Take a CoQ10 Supplement?

Since CoQ10 levels can be compromised by so many factors, it is advised that people over the age of 30 take a CoQ10 supplement. As we age, CoQ10 production is reduced significantly and it is believed that by the age of 80, our CoQ10 levels can be lower than they were at birth.
Certain lifestyle factors or health concerns create a need for higher CoQ10 levels such as being a high-performance athlete, being a heart attack survivor or taking statin drugs.
How Much CoQ10 Should You Take?

Studies involving CoQ10 have used doses ranging from 30 mg to 1,200 mg. The general guideline is to take 1 mg per pound of body weight. So someone who weighs 150 lbs. would supplement with 150 mg of CoQ10. However, proper CoQ10 supplementation is dependent upon many factors. Here are some more specific guidelines you can reference and discuss with your physician.
Health Concern or Objective
CoQ10 mg/day
Statin drug use
200-300 mg/day depending on statin dosing
Improved athletic performance
60mg/day
Reduce fatigue
50-150 mg/day
Migraine headache sufferers
100-150 mg/ day
Congestive heart failure
50 to 300 mg/ day
High blood pressure
50 to 150 mg/ day
Post heart attack
120-200 mg/day
Huntington’s disease
600mg/ day
Parkinson’s disease
500-1200 mg
Why Do I Need More CoQ10 If I’m On a Statin Drug?

Statin drugs inhibit the rate-limiting enzyme of the mevalonate pathway, HMG-CoA reductase. While this is effective for reducing the amount of cholesterol your body produces, it also interrupts some of your body’s natural functions, such as the production of CoQ10. This dramatic drop in CoQ10 can lead to fatigue, muscle aches and weakness.
Dietary CoQ10 can be obtained from organ meats and fatty fish such as salmon. However, most of the body’s CoQ10 comes from its own production, so be sure to meet your micronutrient needs and discuss any CoQ10 limiting medications with your physician. If you want to ensure that your CoQ10 levels stay optimal as you age, your best bet is to take a CoQ10 supplement.- By Casie Terry Mace, Certified Nutrition Counselor and an American Association of Nutritional Counselors (AANC) professional member.

Bamski

Bamski

Awards
  • Established
ALA is not an enzyme and it is lipid soluble (its amphipathic, actually).
I believe you are taking things out of context. I know ALA is not an enzyme obviously...ALA is fatty acid that exists in the mitochondria and is involved in energy metabolism, gives a short but potent reduction of oxidation by increasing anti-oxidant enzymes... Which is the first 2 enzymes you've listed...

lronFist

Banned
Awards
I believe you are taking things out of context. I know ALA is not an enzyme obviously...ALA is fatty acid that exists in the mitochondria and is involved in energy metabolism, gives a short but potent reduction of oxidation by increasing anti-oxidant enzymes... Which is the first 2 enzymes you've listed...
You keep backtracking. First you said coq10 was the only endogenous antioxidant (post 21). It's not.

You then said you were talking about antioxidants which were not enzymes and were lipid soluble. ALA is not an enzyme and is also lipid soluble.

Although it does participate in reductive enzymatic processes, ALA itself is an antioxidant and exists in far more places then just the mitochondria (plasma, cystosol).

Feel free to keep digging yourself a hole.

Bamski

Bamski

Awards
  • Established
I'm not digging myself in a hole. CoQ10 is the only lipid soluble antioxidant synthesized in the body. I added that in my second post to clear it up but then you interpreted it the wrong way. By all means I'm not trying to start anything on here because its pointless but I was trying to clear it up, which obviously I didn't.

lronFist

Banned
Awards
I'm not digging myself in a hole. CoQ10 is the only lipid soluble antioxidant synthesized in the body.
Once again, ALA is lipid soluble and is endogenously synthesized from octanoic acid.

Bamski

Bamski

Awards
  • Established
Once again, ALA is lipid soluble and is endogenously synthesized from octanoic acid.
I understand that, but now this is getting repetitive. You told me ALA is amphipathic, water and fat soluble, yes. Not going against what your word is. i know its jumbled up but thats what ya get when I'm responding on my phone. Plus, I'm talking about solely lipid soluble. I've read up about CoQ10 because my father is deficient and it helps with heart failure due to its role as an ETC and potent antioxidant. I appreciate you trying to shed light on the matter and help with the knowledge, but my question was answered.