Quality Protein Powder - AnabolicMinds.com

Quality Protein Powder

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
  1. New Member

Quality Protein Powder

So I got the ultra-hype email from USP talking about their new protein and how great it is. I wasn't so impressed by their product as I was intrigued by the research on the competition. Basically, in a nutshell (and this is all according to them):

1. Most proteins first ingredient is WPC (concentrate) and generally that is a crappy protein %.
    2. Many use amino blends such as taurine, glycine etc which increase nitrogen content and "test out" as having more protein per serving than is actually in the drink. Same with adding creatine.
    3. Many add creamers, corn syrup, corn starch, glucose polymers etc which are generally bad for your health

So I looked at a few proteins that I have here, including "Ultimate Flurry Hi-Protein Powder", "Myofusion Probiotic" and "Monster Milk" and sure enough, these are "guilty" of those items.

My questions are:

1. Are the "claims" above legitimate and should people pay closer attention to these details when looking for a good protein?

2. What proteins out there actually are quality and don't use the above "tricks" to beef up their protein figures and add things that are counterproductive to getting in good physical shape?

Please don't mention the new USP protein, I've already seen it and the hype behind it, I'm looking for alternative options on the market, to the extent they exist and are affordable. It seems to me that a possibility is Dymatize Elite, ON's 100% both would be more legitimate options, but seeking other input. Thanks.

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Well you kinda nailed it already... Personally i go Hydro Whey or Iso-100 but i know those are costly but you get what you pay for when it comes to whey protein.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Iso-100 all the way. Mixes good, taste good, very clean, and a great protein.

Yes I know the European test and its results.

I have used iso consistently for over a year and it has been the best protein I have used, hands down.
    Formutech Nutrition Rep --------------Team IronClad Physiques!!!
    www.formutechnutrition.com------------------ NPC Competitor
    www.facebook.com/fnutrition
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

i use elite whey and elite gourmet on a regular basis, used myofusion for a while but went back to dymatize
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  5. Senior Member

Bulk is always an option. We have alot of options for that in Australia.

Its pretty dodgy, but I gather now alot of companies may change their tune.
  6. Banned

i really like my Syntrax M5
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  225 lbs.

I use muscle feast premium blend. Great protein no fillers. Of all I have tried this is the best for me. I don't think I will use anything else.
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Trutein
    Ultra peptide

My brother in law uses Beverly UMP and swears by it.
  9. New Member

I absolutely agree with the points you made and many, many proteins are guilty of the offenses you mention.

Lately I have been buying Blue Bonnet Whey Protein Isolate. Its also sweetened with Stevia which is another plus IMO. Their Whey + Casien protein is made with calcium casienate which I am not a big fan of.

MRM 100% all natural whey is another quality option which again has natural sweetneers but has WPC. Personally I don't have an issue with WPC.
  10. hsk

Reputation Reputation

NOW Foods WPI, Muscle Feast WPI, or you can make your own at TrueNutrition. These are the only ones I have been using for the past year and I haven't looked back since.
  11. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'1"  236 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Didn't Dymatize just have a huge recall for mislabeling claims?

​" If you're looking for a work horse.......I'm no Clydesdale."
  12. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by 02sixxer View Post
    Iso-100 all the way. Mixes good, taste good, very clean, and a great protein.

Yes I know the European test and its results.

I have used iso consistently for over a year and it has been the best protein I have used, hands down.
    This.

Hydrolysates > Isolates > Concentrates.
  13. Board Sponsor

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by mike0589 View Post
    This.

Why?

Consuming too much whey at once can lead to Amino wasting...
  14. Board Sponsor

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by hsk View Post
    NOW Foods WPI, Muscle Feast WPI, or you can make your own at TrueNutrition. These are the only ones I have been using for the past year and I haven't looked back since.
    The type of whey does not matter (as long as its not heavy fat or lactose) but if you are not adding a casein into the blend, you are short changing the mix. if you currently just use whey buy a Casein and mix it in (should be 30-50% of the mix).

Why?

It's simple and a scientific fact:

sparking Protein synthesis=whey
    stopping Protein degradation=Casein

It's a no brainer. You wouldn't eat peanut butter jelly sandwich without the jelly..
  15. mw1
    Sponsor

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by BigEdNJ View Post
    Check out ALLMAX Nutrition IsoFlex it has a awesome profile and great tasting
    I used to LOVE this stuff but it got a little expensive

Serious Nutrition Solution ~~

mw at seriousnutritionsolutions dot com
    snsgamers.com
  16. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

This.

To the contrary, hydrosylates may be the worst of the three.

In the end, I think the bottom line is to find a high quality blend of whey and casein. The data pretty much shows without refute that whey + casein is better than either in isolation. Which is also the reason why I'm a big fan of profiles like Ultra Peptide and the new USP protein. The first tastes phenomenal and I'll be trying the latter soon
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  17. Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post

In the end, I think the bottom line is to find a high quality blend of whey and casein. The data pretty much shows without refute that whey + casein is better than either in isolation. Which is also the reason why I'm a big fan of profiles like Ultra Peptide and the new USP protein. The first tastes phenomenal and I'll be trying the latter soon
    a few grams of hydoslyates maybe but the as your only source, it's like performing chest flies as your only chest exercise in the hopes of packing on muscle mass.

Expensive doesn't always mean better..
  18. Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Montego1 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=yG2AtQeOj7I
  19. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

It was their gourmet cookies and creme bars
    www.lgsciences.com
  20. Diamond Member

I'm liking trutein lately. The Chocolate PB is nasty, but the two other flavors I tried were great, Pumpkin, and Cinabun.
  21. mw1
    Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    I'm liking trutein lately. The Chocolate PB is nasty, but the two other flavors I tried were great, Pumpkin, and Cinabun.
    The Banana Trutein is VERY good as well

snsgamers.com
  22. Diamond Member

Thinking of trying the Peach Mango next.
  23. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    I don't understand?

I was under the assumption that it caused a faster increase in blood amino acid concentrations and a higher insulin response, thus promoting Protein synthesis.
  24. mw1
    Sponsor

Thinking of trying the Peach Mango next.
    I've never tried "Peach Mango" anything so I don't know if it actually tastes like Peach Mango~~~ Ha

snsgamers.com
  25. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by USPlabsRep View Post
    Why?

Consuming too much whey at once can lead to Amino wasting...
    Could you explain this further? Increasing amino acid availability and insulin to your muscles is a good thing, right?
  26. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by mw1 View Post

I used to LOVE this stuff but it got a little expensive
    Yea sir. Agree 100%.
  27. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  179 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

i just picked up a couple of containers of trader joe's whey. i thought it was cheaper, but when i looked at the servings and quantities in the boxes, it works out to be about the same as i was spending on the carnivor
  28. hsk

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by USPlabsRep View Post
    The type of whey does not matter (as long as its not heavy fat or lactose) but if you are not adding a casein into the blend, you are short changing the mix. if you currently just use whey buy a Casein and mix it in (should be 30-50% of the mix).

Why?

It's simple and a scientific fact:

sparking Protein synthesis=whey
    stopping Protein degradation=Casein

It's a no brainer. You wouldn't eat peanut butter jelly sandwich without the jelly..
    Thanks for the tip. However, I am well aware of these facts already regarding whey and casein. I usually add WPI on top of other things and rarely take it alone. I eat a lot of greek yogurt which is pretty much all casein. I also eat a lot of whole eggs, fish, and chicken. A lot of my protein for my on-the-go meals consist of 25-30g of WPI and 6-8oz of nonfat greek yogurt (***e or Chobani). I also use WPI post workout with a banana, and then eat a real meal within 45-60 minutes after that. I mostly use WPI for convenience and to supplement meals to bump the protein content up. For the most part I think if one has a balanced diet that is diverse with lots of fresh fruits, vegetable and meats it really shouldn't matter all that much what type of protein powder one takes. Its just a supplement.
  29. Diamond Member

I don't understand?

I was under the assumption that it caused a faster increase in blood amino acid concentrations and a higher insulin response, thus promoting Protein synthesis.
    The height of the insulin curve is not as important as the AUC, which varies with the load rather than the index. So no, "speed" of absorption does not matter
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  30. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  182 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

I personally like MusclePharm's Combat Powder... I have GI issues & this sits well with me...

Name:  Screenshot_2013-05-28-03-51-22-1.png
Views: 289
Size:  142.9 KB

Note: Some flavors have 25g protein & some 24g protein... Scoop size varies between 33g & 35g... I personally use vanilla flavor which is a 33g scoop with 25g protein...
  31. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.

I've tried Vanilla and Cinnabun flavors from Trutein, it tastes very good.
  32. Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Dan View Post
    Ah crap! I just ordered the chocolate PB.

I'm sure you can get it changed before it ships. If you email now maybe you can catch them before they ship it out. Still though some people might like that flavor. I just thought it was gross. Didn't taste like Chocolate or Peanut Butter to me.
  33. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I'm a big fan of Trutein Vanilla. Just can't go wrong with Vanilla. Straight Whey protein breaks me out and I itch real bad. Hate it because I use to really like a Whey shake prior to working out. Took me while to figure out it was the Whey causing it too.
    FINAFLEX REP
    Visit our website at finaflex.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/255232-turff49-quest-success.html#post4620379
  34. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'1"  236 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post

It was their gourmet cookies and creme bars
    Google Dymatize Protein Mint Recall . Failed to meet claims on label when tested.

​" If you're looking for a work horse.......I'm no Clydesdale."
  35. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.

Google Dymatize Protein Mint Recall . Failed to meet claims on label when tested.
    Hmmm i didnt see that one
    www.lgsciences.com
  36. Diamond Member

37. New Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation

I've had 2 bad containers of Dymatize Elite Gourmet PB Choc one of them I purchased and the
    other was a replacement container sent to me by Dymatize and it was also bad.
    I do have a container of Trutein banana chocolate dipped and it taste fantastic and this flavor has been
    discontinued but I posted a review for it somewhere else and the True Science rep said they will be making
    a limited quantity of this flavor again so this is definitely a good flavor to pick up.
  38. Diamond Member

I want to try the trutein Shamrock shake. It was only limited edition though. Maybe it will be back.
  39. mw1
    Sponsor

I'm sure you can get it changed before it ships. If you email now maybe you can catch them before they ship it out. Still though some people might like that flavor. I just thought it was gross. Didn't taste like Chocolate or Peanut Butter to me.
    The Giant Sports choco PB kicks ass!

snsgamers.com
  40. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.

This.

I think you are confusing QUALITY of protein with TYPE of protein. I don't think the discussion is whether isolates are better than concentrates...

As far as quality isolates..I was going with IsoFlex from Allmax. I switched to blends for the past year (along with intermittent fasting). Trutein, Delicious Protein, Combat Powder, Protean, Hexapro...

I just made an order on True Nutrition for the first time making my own blend based off trutein's. it's 20% egg white isolate, 30% whey isolate and 50% milk protein isolate (40% casein, 10% whey).

EDIT: here's a link that you def read.

What Are Good Sources of Protein? - Speed of Digestion Pt. 1 | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

Similar Forum Threads

1. digestive enzymes for protein powder?
    By Number 5 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-16-2012, 11:53 PM
  2. Can protein powder go bad?
    By Rock Lee in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-11-2004, 11:20 PM
  3. A good weight gainer and protein powder
    By drei in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-16-2003, 10:36 PM
  4. Cooking w/ Protein Powder