Quality Protein Powder

DCbuilder

Awards
  • Established
So I got the ultra-hype email from USP talking about their new protein and how great it is. I wasn't so impressed by their product as I was intrigued by the research on the competition. Basically, in a nutshell (and this is all according to them):

1. Most proteins first ingredient is WPC (concentrate) and generally that is a crappy protein %.
2. Many use amino blends such as taurine, glycine etc which increase nitrogen content and "test out" as having more protein per serving than is actually in the drink. Same with adding creatine.
3. Many add creamers, corn syrup, corn starch, glucose polymers etc which are generally bad for your health

So I looked at a few proteins that I have here, including "Ultimate Flurry Hi-Protein Powder", "Myofusion Probiotic" and "Monster Milk" and sure enough, these are "guilty" of those items.

My questions are:

1. Are the "claims" above legitimate and should people pay closer attention to these details when looking for a good protein?

2. What proteins out there actually are quality and don't use the above "tricks" to beef up their protein figures and add things that are counterproductive to getting in good physical shape?

Please don't mention the new USP protein, I've already seen it and the hype behind it, I'm looking for alternative options on the market, to the extent they exist and are affordable. It seems to me that a possibility is Dymatize Elite, ON's 100% both would be more legitimate options, but seeking other input. Thanks.

d1sc1ple

Awards
Well you kinda nailed it already... Personally i go Hydro Whey or Iso-100 but i know those are costly but you get what you pay for when it comes to whey protein.

02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards
Iso-100 all the way. Mixes good, taste good, very clean, and a great protein.

Yes I know the European test and its results.

I have used iso consistently for over a year and it has been the best protein I have used, hands down.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
i use elite whey and elite gourmet on a regular basis, used myofusion for a while but went back to dymatize

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Bulk is always an option. We have alot of options for that in Australia.

Its pretty dodgy, but I gather now alot of companies may change their tune.

VinceNC

Awards
I use muscle feast premium blend. Great protein no fillers. Of all I have tried this is the best for me. I don't think I will use anything else.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
I absolutely agree with the points you made and many, many proteins are guilty of the offenses you mention.

Lately I have been buying Blue Bonnet Whey Protein Isolate. Its also sweetened with Stevia which is another plus IMO. Their Whey + Casien protein is made with calcium casienate which I am not a big fan of.

MRM 100% all natural whey is another quality option which again has natural sweetneers but has WPC. Personally I don't have an issue with WPC.

hsk

Awards
  • Established
NOW Foods WPI, Muscle Feast WPI, or you can make your own at TrueNutrition. These are the only ones I have been using for the past year and I haven't looked back since.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Didn't Dymatize just have a huge recall for mislabeling claims?

mike0589

mike0589

Awards
Iso-100 all the way. Mixes good, taste good, very clean, and a great protein.

Yes I know the European test and its results.

I have used iso consistently for over a year and it has been the best protein I have used, hands down.
This.

Hydrolysates > Isolates > Concentrates.

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
NOW Foods WPI, Muscle Feast WPI, or you can make your own at TrueNutrition. These are the only ones I have been using for the past year and I haven't looked back since.
The type of whey does not matter (as long as its not heavy fat or lactose) but if you are not adding a casein into the blend, you are short changing the mix. if you currently just use whey buy a Casein and mix it in (should be 30-50% of the mix).

Why?

It's simple and a scientific fact:

sparking Protein synthesis=whey
stopping Protein degradation=Casein

It's a no brainer. You wouldn't eat peanut butter jelly sandwich without the jelly..

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
This.

To the contrary, hydrosylates may be the worst of the three.

In the end, I think the bottom line is to find a high quality blend of whey and casein. The data pretty much shows without refute that whey + casein is better than either in isolation. Which is also the reason why I'm a big fan of profiles like Ultra Peptide and the new USP protein. The first tastes phenomenal and I'll be trying the latter soon

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

In the end, I think the bottom line is to find a high quality blend of whey and casein. The data pretty much shows without refute that whey + casein is better than either in isolation. Which is also the reason why I'm a big fan of profiles like Ultra Peptide and the new USP protein. The first tastes phenomenal and I'll be trying the latter soon
a few grams of hydoslyates maybe but the as your only source, it's like performing chest flies as your only chest exercise in the hopes of packing on muscle mass.

Expensive doesn't always mean better..

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm liking trutein lately. The Chocolate PB is nasty, but the two other flavors I tried were great, Pumpkin, and Cinabun.

mike0589

mike0589

Awards
I don't understand?

I was under the assumption that it caused a faster increase in blood amino acid concentrations and a higher insulin response, thus promoting Protein synthesis.

bossman523

Banned
Awards
i just picked up a couple of containers of trader joe's whey. i thought it was cheaper, but when i looked at the servings and quantities in the boxes, it works out to be about the same as i was spending on the carnivor

hsk

Awards
  • Established
The type of whey does not matter (as long as its not heavy fat or lactose) but if you are not adding a casein into the blend, you are short changing the mix. if you currently just use whey buy a Casein and mix it in (should be 30-50% of the mix).

Why?

It's simple and a scientific fact:

sparking Protein synthesis=whey
stopping Protein degradation=Casein

It's a no brainer. You wouldn't eat peanut butter jelly sandwich without the jelly..
Thanks for the tip. However, I am well aware of these facts already regarding whey and casein. I usually add WPI on top of other things and rarely take it alone. I eat a lot of greek yogurt which is pretty much all casein. I also eat a lot of whole eggs, fish, and chicken. A lot of my protein for my on-the-go meals consist of 25-30g of WPI and 6-8oz of nonfat greek yogurt (***e or Chobani). I also use WPI post workout with a banana, and then eat a real meal within 45-60 minutes after that. I mostly use WPI for convenience and to supplement meals to bump the protein content up. For the most part I think if one has a balanced diet that is diverse with lots of fresh fruits, vegetable and meats it really shouldn't matter all that much what type of protein powder one takes. Its just a supplement.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I don't understand?

I was under the assumption that it caused a faster increase in blood amino acid concentrations and a higher insulin response, thus promoting Protein synthesis.
The height of the insulin curve is not as important as the AUC, which varies with the load rather than the index. So no, "speed" of absorption does not matter

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
I personally like MusclePharm's Combat Powder... I have GI issues & this sits well with me...

Screenshot_2013-05-28-03-51-22-1.png

Note: Some flavors have 25g protein & some 24g protein... Scoop size varies between 33g & 35g... I personally use vanilla flavor which is a 33g scoop with 25g protein...

doodv1

doodv1

Awards
I've tried Vanilla and Cinnabun flavors from Trutein, it tastes very good.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ah crap! I just ordered the chocolate PB.

I'm sure you can get it changed before it ships. If you email now maybe you can catch them before they ship it out. Still though some people might like that flavor. I just thought it was gross. Didn't taste like Chocolate or Peanut Butter to me.

turff49

turff49

Awards
I'm a big fan of Trutein Vanilla. Just can't go wrong with Vanilla. Straight Whey protein breaks me out and I itch real bad. Hate it because I use to really like a Whey shake prior to working out. Took me while to figure out it was the Whey causing it too.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It was their gourmet cookies and creme bars
Google Dymatize Protein Mint Recall . Failed to meet claims on label when tested.

totalpackage

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I've had 2 bad containers of Dymatize Elite Gourmet PB Choc one of them I purchased and the
other was a replacement container sent to me by Dymatize and it was also bad.
I do have a container of Trutein banana chocolate dipped and it taste fantastic and this flavor has been
discontinued but I posted a review for it somewhere else and the True Science rep said they will be making
a limited quantity of this flavor again so this is definitely a good flavor to pick up.

mw1

mw1

Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm sure you can get it changed before it ships. If you email now maybe you can catch them before they ship it out. Still though some people might like that flavor. I just thought it was gross. Didn't taste like Chocolate or Peanut Butter to me.
The Giant Sports choco PB kicks ass!

ndnguy85

ndnguy85

Awards
This.

I think you are confusing QUALITY of protein with TYPE of protein. I don't think the discussion is whether isolates are better than concentrates...

As far as quality isolates..I was going with IsoFlex from Allmax. I switched to blends for the past year (along with intermittent fasting). Trutein, Delicious Protein, Combat Powder, Protean, Hexapro...

I just made an order on True Nutrition for the first time making my own blend based off trutein's. it's 20% egg white isolate, 30% whey isolate and 50% milk protein isolate (40% casein, 10% whey).

EDIT: here's a link that you def read.

What Are Good Sources of Protein? - Speed of Digestion Pt. 1 | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

deuceswild72

Awards
  • Established
I want to try the trutein Shamrock shake. It was only limited edition though. Maybe it will be back.
I have a jug if it. Pretty tasty. I'd send ya a sample but not sure how that would work.

totalpackage

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
quality protein powder

The Giant Sports choco PB kicks ass!
I have 2 containers of the Giant Sports PB Choc and it taste unique but
it taste nothing like PB and I did a taste test with a few people and no one
guessed PB everyone said it had coffee like flavor. I wanted PB so I was
disappointed.

tilldeath

tilldeath

Awards
Trutein is a favorite, although lately I've been big on Mark Lobliner's MTS whey, lab results from a dude I trust and it tastes awesome and is well priced.

deuceswild72

Awards
  • Established
Trutein is a favorite, although lately I've been big on Mark Lobliner's MTS whey, lab results from a dude I trust and it tastes awesome and is well priced.
Was thinking bout trying that out. Big fan of lobiner. You use it post wo?

pete8407

pete8407

Awards
I'm a big vanilla fan and just curious if you have tried mr lobliner's MTS vanilla!

tilldeath

tilldeath

Awards
Google Dymatize Protein Mint Recall . Failed to meet claims on label when tested.
Not sure about the whole issue around dymatize, but Lobliner did an independent lab test on them and it lived up to the claims.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Haven't had the PB chocolate from Giant Sports but I know the cookie dough is fantastic, on my second 5 lb. tub of it now.

Trutein is fantastic and my go to for snacks between meals, some flavors are better than others in water though. Cinnabon , vanilla and pumpkin pie are my favorites.

That being said I always have their choc PB cup around as well. Don't like it in water but love it in oatmeal, ice cream, or milk.

Peach mango is arriving for me this week, high hopes for that flavor as well

hsk

Awards
  • Established
I think you are confusing QUALITY of protein with TYPE of protein. I don't think the discussion is whether isolates are better than concentrates...

As far as quality isolates..I was going with IsoFlex from Allmax. I switched to blends for the past year (along with intermittent fasting). Trutein, Delicious Protein, Combat Powder, Protean, Hexapro...

I just made an order on True Nutrition for the first time making my own blend based off trutein's. it's 20% egg white isolate, 30% whey isolate and 50% milk protein isolate (40% casein, 10% whey).

EDIT: here's a link that you def read.

What Are Good Sources of Protein? - Speed of Digestion Pt. 1 | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
I made something similar for my last order at TrueNutrition. 20% egg white, 25% complete milk dairy isolate (80% casein / 20% whey) and 55% WPI cold filtration. Final ratio is 60% WPI, 20% Casein, 20% Egg.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Trutein
Ultra peptid.
I'm liking trutein lately. The Chocolate PB is nasty, but the two other flavors I tried were great, Pumpkin, and Cinabun.
Cinnabun is absolutely amazing!
I've tried Vanilla and Cinnabun flavors from Trutein, it tastes very good.
Desert!!

Trutein every time!! They care about their customers, good company and great protein! No hype just a phenomenal product. In fact, it's always sold out everywhere!!!!

mike0589

mike0589

Awards
The height of the insulin curve is not as important as the AUC, which varies with the load rather than the index. So no, "speed" of absorption does not matter
Speed of absorption hinders Bio-availability, correct? Pharmacokinetics?