Quality Protein Powder

Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last

1. WPC is arguably the best protein source as it has the most peptide fractions.

Look into PROnom, excellent flavors, no added glycine/taurine to pad the numbers. Good number of servings as well
    Controlled Labs Warder
    Powercage [at] controlledlabs.com

2. Quote Originally Posted by nattydisaster View Post

With time! Got so much we are working on. We nailed down one flavor...working on a second
    Did this white tubs on Facebook contain flavoring samples?

Or, a new product?

Either way, put me down for a truck load.

Quote Originally Posted by Powercage View Post
    WPC is arguably the best protein source as it has the most peptide fractions.

Look into PROnom, excellent flavors, no added glycine/taurine to pad the numbers. Good number of servings as well
    It's cheaper, too. If one doesn't have any lactose problems, it is really the best value option (instead of purchasing a pure isolate product).
    EvoMuse
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by Powercage View Post
    WPC is arguably the best protein source as it has the most peptide fractions.

WPC Doesn't hold a candle to what MPI offers (best of both worlds) and comparing differences between WPC and WPI is splitting hairs..

4. Quote Originally Posted by USPlabsRep View Post
    WPC Doesn't hold a candle to what MPI offers (best of both worlds) and comparing differences between WPC and WPI is splitting hairs..
    Speaking of splitting hairs
    Controlled Labs Warder

5. Quote Originally Posted by Powercage View Post
    But what is up with the first ingredient under "other ingredients":

Nutritional Creamer (Sunflower Oil, Corn Syrup Solids, Sodium Caseinate, Mono & Diglycerides, Dipotassium Phosphate, Tri-Calcium Phosphate and Tocopherols)

This is the 3rd "trick" lobbied in the first post that some sneaky/bad proteins include:

"3. Many add creamers, corn syrup, corn starch, glucose polymers etc which are generally bad for your health"

Googling Corn Syrup Solids, I read the following in a link:

Corn syrup, corn syrup solids, and high fructose corn syrup (as well as crystalline fructose) are all made from corn, and bottom line, all are sugar. So, first off, because theyíre sugar, my opinion is that they are all damaging to your health, just because sugar is so damaging.

Each of these ingredients will give you cravings for more sugar, and foods that list high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, or fructose as one of their top 4 ingredients are overeating traps. These ingredients actually interfere with a hormone that tells your brain that youíre full! Therefore, itís very common to overeat on foods that contain HFCS (or even the latter two).

Actually, in my experience, itís easy to overeat on foods that contain any kind of processed sugar, or even foods high in natural sugar. The difference with HFCS, corn syrup, and fructose is that they stop the communication between your stomach and your brain until itís too late and youíve already overeaten.
    •   

6. You have yet to realize that the first post is marketing material by a company in this thread, not an actual scientific publication.

That scientific correlation is tenuous at best, even HFCS has been shown to be metabolized in a similar manner as regular fructose.
    Last edited by Powercage; 05-30-2013 at 07:12 PM. Reason: edited for clarification
    Controlled Labs Warder

7. Quote Originally Posted by Powercage View Post
    You have yet to realize that the first post is marketing material by a company in this thread, not an actual scientific publication.

That scientific correlation is tenuous at best, even HFCS has been shown to be metabolized in the same manner as regular sugar.
    Actually the first post in the thread is my own, and I'm unaffiliated with anyone. I RECEIVED some marketing material, but was interested not in that particular company's product until it hits the market more and I see pricing and feedback, but in searching the full gamut of the market to see what "healthy" protein powders are already out & are being sold vs. those which use tricks and bad ingredients in their formulas.

I'm sitting on 2 powders that I'm no longer going to use because of the crap I found in them once I actually knew enough to look at the "other ingredients". I only bought them because they were on sale. Now I'm more focused on finding an inexpensive, healthy protein powder.

8. Quote Originally Posted by DCbuilder View Post
    Actually the first post in the thread is my own, and I'm unaffiliated with anyone. I RECEIVED some marketing material, but was interested not in that particular company's product until it hits the market more and I see pricing and feedback, but in searching the full gamut of the market to see what "healthy" protein powders are already out & are being sold vs. those which use tricks and bad ingredients in their formulas.

I'm sitting on 2 powders that I'm no longer going to use because of the crap I found in them once I actually knew enough to look at the "other ingredients". I only bought them because they were on sale. Now I'm more focused on finding an inexpensive, healthy protein powder.

I would be very careful in blindly accepting vague information from a marketing publication as fact.

If you want a "natural" protein, you should really go Kaizen.
    Controlled Labs Warder

9. Quote Originally Posted by Powercage View Post
    I would be very careful in blindly accepting vague information from a marketing publication as fact.

I hear you on that, but still, I know barely enough to know that if there are options aside from voluntarily ingesting corn syrup, I'll probably try to find an alternative. Not that I didn't ingest it before, the protein I have now has it in there. But I'd rather avoid it if possible.

In terms of Kaizen, I'll look into it. First search came back that they sell it in Canadian Costcos and I'm seeing some version being sold in *** for $80/5 lbs. Are there any other options to purchase it if you are aware?

10. Quote Originally Posted by DCbuilder View Post
    I hear you on that, but still, I know barely enough to know that if there are options aside from voluntarily ingesting corn syrup, I'll probably try to find an alternative. Not that I didn't ingest it before, the protein I have now has it in there. But I'd rather avoid it if possible.

In terms of Kaizen, I'll look into it. First search came back that they sell it in Canadian Costcos and I'm seeing some version being sold in *** for $80/5 lbs. Are there any other options to purchase it if you are aware?
    None that I trust that I can think of off hand
    Controlled Labs Warder

11. MRM Natural Whey is an option.

12. Heavily marketed products with long write ups should always get extra scrutiny from consumers. Over the years, I have found that some of the simplest and least marketed products and ingredients are usually the hidden gems that give the most bang for the buck.

13. Quote Originally Posted by mw1 View Post
    The Giant Sports choco PB kicks ass!
    agreed
    Nutraceutical Innovations
    AMINDS15 - 15% code
    nutra-innovations.com

14. Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
    agreed
    Basically fails all 3. 1st ingredient is misc WPC, includes Taurine as its next largest ingredient aside from protein, and has corn syrup solids

15. Quote Originally Posted by DCbuilder View Post
    Basically fails all 3. 1st ingredient is misc WPC, includes Taurine as its next largest ingredient aside from protein, and has corn syrup solids

These are extremely poor criteria for judging how good a protein is. Many of the best on the market use WPC.
    Controlled Labs Warder

16. Quote Originally Posted by Powercage View Post
    These are extremely poor criteria for judging how good a protein is. Many of the best on the market use WPC.
    Not saying its perfect. But it's 3 criteria. From a health perspective, what would 3 from you be? And not all WPC = bad, several mentioned in this thread as quality powders have WPC as #1 but still look great.

17. Quote Originally Posted by Powercage View Post

what was vague?

18. Quote Originally Posted by Powercage View Post

What is good criteria?

19. Quote Originally Posted by Powercage View Post
    You have yet to realize that the first post is marketing material by a company in this thread, not an actual scientific publication.

That scientific correlation is tenuous at best, even HFCS has been shown to be metabolized in the same manner as regular sugar.
    Are you sure?

before i go on, What is "regular sugar"?

20. Quote Originally Posted by Powercage View Post
    Speaking of splitting hairs
    How so? Digestion rates are totally different and so is composition. Reduce some of the fat and lactose from WPC and you have WPI.

21. Quote Originally Posted by DCbuilder View Post
    Not saying its perfect. But it's 3 criteria. From a health perspective, what would 3 from you be? And not all WPC = bad, several mentioned in this thread as quality powders have WPC as #1 but still look great.
    its scientific fact that the combination of protein (fast and slow) is superior to whey or casein alone, that is not debatable.

22. Quote Originally Posted by DCbuilder View Post

Here is a good read..

Metabolic Dangers of High-Fructose Corn Syrup - Life Extension

Fructose, on the other hand, is more rapidly metabolized in the liver, flooding metabolic pathways and leading to increased triglyceride synthesis and fat storage in the liver. This can cause a rise in serum triglycerides, promoting an atherogenic lipid profile and elevating cardiovascular risk. Increased fat storage in the liver may lead to an increased incidence in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, and this is one of several links between HFCS consumption and obesity as well as the metabolic syndrome.7
    Fructose may have less impact on appetite than glucose, so processed foods rich in fructose can contribute to weight gain, obesity, and its related consequences by failing to manage appetite.20 Additionally, loading of the liver with large amounts of fructose leads to increased uric acid formation, which may contribute to gout in susceptible individuals.7

23. Quote Originally Posted by USPlabsRep View Post
    How so? Digestion rates are totally different and so is composition. Reduce some of the fat and lactose from WPC and you have WPI.

Honestly, it's not really worth it to me to answer each question individually as you have a vested interest in pushing your products.

WPC is the gold standard for a reason, it cant be beat in the grand scheme for price and effectiveness. Sure WPI and MPI are nice for those that are lactose intolerant, but it wont yield any better results. Most people can handle WPC just fine, and for those that wish...they have those other options. Digestion rates are irrelevant in the grand scheme as far as body comp goes. Saying not to buy WPC or suggesting it's poor quality is laughable.

Vilifying fructose makes no sense. Within moderation its fine, it wont increase appetite...in fact, it appears to have a suppressive effect if anything. For those of you who actually would like to learn a little about fructose/hfcs and how they relate to health:
    The bitter truth about fructose alarmism. | Alan Aragon's Blog

Should we limit the amount of sugars we intake? Absolutely. Should we freak out if a protein has it? Absolutely not. It can very easily be managed into a diet with no health issues.

Quote Originally Posted by USPlabsRep View Post
    You should really take some time to read the link above. What you havent mentioned is the dose dependent nature.
    Controlled Labs Warder

24. Quote Originally Posted by Powercage View Post
    Honestly, it's not really worth it to me to answer each question individually as you have a vested interest in pushing your products.

WPC is the gold standard for a reason, it cant be beat in the grand scheme for price and effectiveness. Sure WPI and MPI are nice for those that are lactose intolerant, but it wont yield any better results. Most people can handle WPC just fine, and for those that wish...they have those other options. Digestion rates are irrelevant in the grand scheme. Saying not to buy WPC or suggesting it's poor quality is laughable.

Vilifying fructose makes no sense. Within moderation its fine, it wont increase appetite...in fact, it appears to have a suppressive effect if anything. For those of you who actually would like to learn a little about fructose/hfcs and how they relate to health:
    http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/0...tose-alarmism/

Should we limit the amount of sugars we intake? Absolutely. Should we freak out if a protein has it? Absolutely not. It can very easily be managed into a diet with no health issues.

You should really take some time to read the link above.
    You are not pushing a product?

25. Quote Originally Posted by USPlabsRep View Post
    You are not pushing a product?
    I think people have enough info from above to make an informed decision. We can leave it at that. If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me.
    Controlled Labs Warder

26. I would just like to add, I support quality protein sources from companies that don't cut corners. Also, just received my USPLABS OxyElite protein, only one request. Please offer bigger tub sizes, 25 servings (not criticizing just suggesting) doesn't really last that long.

27. Quote Originally Posted by Powercage View Post
    Honestly, it's not really worth it to me to answer each question individually as you have a vested interest in pushing your products.WPC is the gold standard for a reason, it cant be beat in the grand scheme for price and effectiveness. Sure WPI and MPI are nice for those that are lactose intolerant, but it wont yield any better results. Most people can handle WPC just fine, and for those that wish...they have those other options. Digestion rates are irrelevant in the grand scheme as far as body comp goes. Saying not to buy WPC or suggesting it's poor quality is laughable.Vilifying fructose makes no sense. Within moderation its fine, it wont increase appetite...in fact, it appears to have a suppressive effect if anything. For those of you who actually would like to learn a little about fructose/hfcs and how they relate to health:The bitter truth about fructose alarmism. | Alan Aragon's BlogShould we limit the amount of sugars we intake? Absolutely. Should we freak out if a protein has it? Absolutely not. It can very easily be managed into a diet with no health issues.You should really take some time to read the link above. What you arent grasping, or conveniently leaving out...is the dose dependent nature
    fructose should come from fruits not from your protein. HFCS has no nutritional value just a caloric load and that goes for most processed sugars. If you can avoid, you should. Protein powders also contain hydrogenated fats, are you proposing that is also acceptable in moderation? Probably but rather i get it from a snickers bar not my protein powder.

28. So......Chicken or Fish?

29. OxyElite Protein aside, if you are drinking whey or casein, you should combine them and not drink them separately.

30. Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    So......Chicken or Fish?
    Emu
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. digestive enzymes for protein powder?
    By Number 5 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-16-2012, 11:53 PM
  2. Can protein powder go bad?
    By Rock Lee in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-11-2004, 11:20 PM
  3. A good weight gainer and protein powder
    By drei in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-16-2003, 10:36 PM
  4. Cooking w/ Protein Powder