Potassium Nitrate

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.84%

Potassium Nitrate

I just bought Nutriguard Potassium Nitrates, I was wondering how many pills I should start out with to avoid any sides? Thanks

250mg per pill

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.21%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Try to find a pre workout supp that has this ingredient and follow the amount they have in the formula but the bottle should have directions or suggested usage. Also don't take this in combination with other nitrates or products that have nitrates already in them.
  3. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.84%

Quote Originally Posted by mtinsideout View Post
    Try to find a pre workout supp that has this ingredient and follow the amount they have in the formula but the bottle should have directions or suggested usage. Also don't take this in combination with other nitrates or products that have nitrates already in them.
    I'm going to be mixing it with Protocol ver. 2 with SNS Citrulline Malate for my preworkout brew
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.21%

Quote Originally Posted by burpees View Post
    I'm going to be mixing it with Protocol ver. 2 with SNS Citrulline Malate for my preworkout brew
    I see agmatine sulfate in Protocol, not sure it is safe to mix the potassium nitrate with that or at least the doses that it is safe. Unfortunately I'm not product rep and don't know enough about the ingredient profiles of other PWO's to give you a good answer. I can't post links yet but you may want to read the article below, not to sure how good potassium nitrate is as a supplement.

www(dot)livestrong(dot)com/article/510604-is-potassium-nitrate-in-food-processing-safe/
  5. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.86%

the nutriguard is not actually 250mg of potassium nitrate per pill. its the total weight per pill.

good product, but not what they advertise.
  6. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    Stats
    5'8"  186 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.63%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting Pro

I see agmatine sulfate in Protocol, not sure it is safe to mix the potassium nitrate with that or at least the doses that it is safe. Unfortunately I'm not product rep and don't know enough about the ingredient profiles of other PWO's to give you a good answer. I can't post links yet but you may want to read the article below, not to sure how good potassium nitrate is as a supplement.

www(dot)livestrong(dot)com/article/510604-is-potassium-nitrate-in-food-processing-safe/
    Agmatine is fine with nitrates.
    Anabolic[Minds.com Site Rep
    Olympus Labs DemiGod
    accounts@olympus-labs.com
  7. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.84%

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnTrue View Post
    the nutriguard is not actually 250mg of potassium nitrate per pill. its the total weight per pill.

it's actually 98mg Nitrate or something right? In the same thread I saw a iFroce product that has nitrates, should of just jumped on that smh. Im going to use up my Protocol/PN and jump on that product yall got.
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.21%

I just don't know if the product is worth it. Potassium nitrate is shown to be a cancer causing agent in animal studies and is found in cured ham and hot dogs (ie processed foods). Not sure if I'd really mess with any of the nitrates... If I were going to try one it might be creatine nitrate only because I have read good things but again who knows how healthy it is.
  9. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'1"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.55%

Common first dosing for the NG KNO3 is 3 capsules with 500mg of vitamin C. I wouldn't advise taking more than 3 your first time, nor would I advise taking more than 6 at any one time.

I just don't know if the product is worth it. Potassium nitrate is shown to be a cancer causing agent in animal studies and is found in cured ham and hot dogs (ie processed foods). Not sure if I'd really mess with any of the nitrates... If I were going to try one it might be creatine nitrate only because I have read good things but again who knows how healthy it is.
    Don't be misled. There's a reason why nitrates are the most commonly prescribed medication for heart-related ailments. The reason why there's concern over recreational use is conversion to nitrosamine, and high circulating levels can be a cause for concern. Dosing vitamin C with the KNO3 is a method to reduce that conversion/circulating level.
    HYBRID Performance Nutrition
    Mike ~ R/D
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.21%

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
    Don't be misled. There's a reason why nitrates are the most commonly prescribed medication for heart-related ailments. The reason why there's concern over recreational use is conversion to nitrosamine, and high circulating levels can be a cause for concern. Dosing vitamin C with the KNO3 is a method to reduce that conversion/circulating level.
    There prescribed in heart meds to lower blood pressure not because they are by any means healthy. Also "Lower doses of potassium nitrate can lead to acute methemoglobinemia, in which hemoglobin loses ability to carry oxygen." Further more "Nitrites may react with food proteins in your stomach to form N-nitroso compounds. Cooking meat with nitrates on high heat also can produce such compounds. N-nitroso compounds are carcinogenic in test animals."
  11. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'1"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.55%

There prescribed in heart meds to lower blood pressure not because they are by any means healthy. Also "Lower doses of potassium nitrate can lead to acute methemoglobinemia, in which hemoglobin loses ability to carry oxygen." Further more "Nitrites may react with food proteins in your stomach to form N-nitroso compounds. Cooking meat with nitrates on high heat also can produce such compounds. N-nitroso compounds are carcinogenic in test animals."
    I would disagree and say that if they're helping someone with hypertension and improving their quality of life, that they are serving a healthful purpose.

Livestrong doesn't seem to provide you with all the necessary information here. Normal levels of methemoglobin are less than 1%. In order to acquire methemoglobinemia, these levels have to reach at least 10%. This is a reversible condition. When you reach in excess of 70%, then you need to worry (http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/si...+@DOCNO+1227); however, as you must have noticed on Livestrong, it would take 30-35g of nitrates to kill you. Therefore, dosing at >1000mg/day over a short period of time shouldn't/wouldn't be of any concern.

As for your second concern, I've already discussed that above. It relates to nitrosamine conversion. Vitamin C offsets that. And again, Livestrong doesn't present the full story: "The major concern of possible long-term effects of exposure to nitrate and nitrite is associated with formation of nitroso compounds, many of which are carcinogenic." Though LS does mention, "scientific evidence regarding their cancer-causing potential in humans is inconclusive."
    Mike ~ R/D
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.21%

I'm not saying people who need nitrates shouldn't take them obviously they have there place just not sure they are good for the average consumer... Or maybe I've just been brain washed by the FDA to think that nitrates are an evil cancer causing agent found in most processed foods. Unfortunately I couldn't view the link you posted above but am interested in the info. Just curious if you also might happen to have any human or animal studies showing the benefits of nitrates in regards to lifting? Always trying to learn
  13. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'1"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.55%

I'm not saying people who need nitrates shouldn't take them obviously they have there place just not sure they are good for the average consumer... Or maybe I've just been brain washed by the FDA to think that nitrates are an evil cancer causing agent found in most processed foods. Unfortunately I couldn't view the link you posted above but am interested in the info. Just curious if you also might happen to have any human or animal studies showing the benefits of nitrates in regards to lifting? Always trying to learn
    If you're considering a government brainwashing effort, look no further than the absurdity of Prop 65 in CA.

The parenthesis above is disabling the link. Here it is: http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/si...rm+@DOCNO+1227

I'm on the fly, so I don't have access to any materials citing ergogenic effects of nitrates, but you can't qualify it that way. Consider how nitrates work and apply them to an exercise setting. Expansive blood vessels are all the rage in pump products and glucose disposal agents, etc. And, of course, potassium isn't without its benefits either. I do have a PDF that I'd like to attach, but it's not letting me. Just Google "nitrates and exercise" and it's the first link from static.abbottnutrition. That should help get you started; if you'd like to pursue it further, you can seek out the references used in that paper.
    Mike ~ R/D
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.21%

Thanks Smitty
  15. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.86%

if you're looking for a pure potassium nitrate product, have no fear...one is soon to hit the shelves from none other than iForce Nutrition

it may or may not have an added goody in there already mentioned in this thread
  16. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.94%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting Pro

if you're looking for a pure potassium nitrate product, have no fear...one is soon to hit the shelves from none other than iForce Nutrition

How soon?
  17. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.57%

Vitamin C?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.21%

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I wanted to add an interesting element to the discussion.

I'm in the fertilizer business. Well, more specifically we design and distribute specialty plant nutrition products. Nitrates, phosphates, bi/carbonates, sulphates, etc are all commercial fertilizers (in my world). Potassium Nitrate is actually are most popular fertilizer derivative/ingredient. We sell it by the the 45,000 lb truckload.

Here's what tickles me:
    Years ago, every farmer used nitrates, phosphates, sulphates, etc to grow the nations food. Then the organic movement decided these elements weren't healthy and they began using cow ****, chicken **** and waste to grow crops.

Now the healthy people simply ingest the fertilizers as supplements.
  19. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.84%

Quote Originally Posted by El Hefe View Post
    I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I wanted to add an interesting element to the discussion.

I'm in the fertilizer business. Well, more specifically we design and distribute specialty plant nutrition products. Nitrates, phosphates, bi/carbonates, sulphates, etc are all commercial fertilizers (in my world). Potassium Nitrate is actually are most popular fertilizer derivative/ingredient. We sell it by the the 45,000 lb truckload.

Here's what tickles me:
    Years ago, every farmer used nitrates, phosphates, sulphates, etc to grow the nations food. Then the organic movement decided these elements weren't healthy and they began using cow ****, chicken **** and waste to grow crops.

Now the healthy people simply ingest the fertilizers as supplements.
    lmaoooo
  20. Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.89%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Thats pretty much how everyone list a Creatine, bcaa, or potassium nitrate??

Serious Nutrition Solution ~~

mw at seriousnutritionsolutions dot com
    snsgamers.com
  21. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.82%

Does a potassium nitrate capsule readily convert to NO in the stomach? Wouldnt a lozenge be better?
  22. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  179 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.28%
    Achievements Activity Pro

Quote Originally Posted by antny04 View Post
    Vitamin C?

since Vaughn let the cat out of the hope he wont get too mad with another hint the working name was KNOC
  23. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.86%

Quote Originally Posted by koi1214 View Post
    How soon?
    hopefully no more than 4-5 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by antny04 View Post
    Vitamin C?

time will tell

Quote Originally Posted by mw1 View Post
    Thats pretty much how everyone list a Creatine, bcaa, or potassium nitrate??
    No i mean they list the front as 250mg/pill, but there is less than 250mg of potassium nitrate/pill. They include some of the fillers in the 250mg/weight.

Quote Originally Posted by mmats View Post
    Does a potassium nitrate capsule readily convert to NO in the stomach? Wouldnt a lozenge be better?
    it converts to NO very effectively.
  24. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.26%

Quote Originally Posted by thedarce View Post
    since Vaughn let the cat out of the hope he wont get too mad with another hint the working name was KNOC
    If the price point is competitive to what people can pick up the Nutriguard version, you guys will definitely steal all the business from board members (here and elsewhere). Plus, all the other business you would get because of the iForce name.
    EvoMuse
  25. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.84%

Nutriguard PN actually change the label to show the correct amount I guess.

My label is showing

2 pills = Potassium (as Nitrate) 195 mg
  26. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'1"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.43%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by domore View Post
    If the price point is competitive to what people can pick up the Nutriguard version, you guys will definitely steal all the business from board members (here and elsewhere). Plus, all the other business you would get because of the iForce name.
    Thats the goal

Mike
  27. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.86%

Nutriguard PN actually change the label to show the correct amount I guess.

My label is showing

2 pills = Potassium (as Nitrate) 195 mg
    yea, so its not 250mg of potassium nitrate per pill, but actually 97.5mg of Potassium Nitrate per pill.
  28. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.66%

Can't wait to stack this with just about anything!
    iForce Nutrition Representative
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate…iForce!
    www.iforcenutrition.com
  29. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.23%

yea, so its not 250mg of potassium nitrate per pill, but actually 97.5mg of Potassium Nitrate per pill.

Not true...molecular weight of potassium is 39.0983 g/mol and nitrate is 62.0049 g/mol. Total weight of potassium nitrate is 101.1032 g/mol. The FDA requires you to put the amount of potassium (by itself based on molecular weight) separately. 97.5mg divided by 250 mg is 39...there is EXACTLY 250 mg of potassium nitrate per capsule. it YIELDS approximately 97.5 mg of potassium and 152.5 mg of nitrates.
    MYOKEM President/CEO | NITRAMINE - The Elite Preworkout Ignition System |PYROXAMINE - High Performance Lipolytic, Thermogenic Agent | MAGNITROPIN - High Performance Myotropic Agent | ALPHADEX - High Performance Hormone Modulator
  30. Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.89%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaNOmega View Post
    Not true...molecular weight of potassium is 39.0983 g/mol and nitrate is 62.0049 g/mol. Total weight of potassium nitrate is 101.1032 g/mol. The FDA requires you to put the amount of potassium (by itself based on molecular weight) separately. 97.5mg divided by 250 mg is 39...there is EXACTLY 250 mg of potassium nitrate per capsule. it YIELDS approximately 97.5 mg of potassium and 152.5 mg of nitrates.
    So where does that leave the amount in Tropinol XP ? Is that correct amount of nitrates?

Serious Nutrition Solution ~~

mw at seriousnutritionsolutions dot com
    snsgamers.com
  31. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.23%

Quote Originally Posted by mw1 View Post

So where does that leave the amount in Tropinol XP ? Is that correct amount of nitrates?
    Approximately 148 mg of potassium nitrate per capsule based on 58 mg of potassium. Granted, if it is mislabeled, and there is 58 mg of potassium nitrate per capsule then that would yield 22.6 mg potassium and 35.4 mg of nitrates.
    MYOKEM President/CEO | NITRAMINE - The Elite Preworkout Ignition System |PYROXAMINE - High Performance Lipolytic, Thermogenic Agent | MAGNITROPIN - High Performance Myotropic Agent | ALPHADEX - High Performance Hormone Modulator
  32. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.5%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaNOmega View Post
    Approximately 148 mg of potassium nitrate per capsule based on 58 mg of potassium. Granted, if it is mislabeled, and there is 58 mg of potassium nitrate per capsule then that would yield 22.6 mg potassium and 35.4 mg of nitrates.

We saw this same issue with this product, which copied

Bioforge:

Which actually ended up being labeled correctly (so that's 120mg zinc per day).
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  33. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.86%

there is 150mg of Potassium Nitrate per pill in Tropinol XP.

As for the nutriguard, I guess I was mistaken. I dont have a bottle myself, and so many users were claiming that what was mentioned online, is not what is listed on their bottle.

an image of the ingredient panel would be nice to confirm.
  34. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.21%

I haven't viewed the label for either of these products so I can't refer to them specifically. But I understand the confusion regarding some of these compounds.

If something is 100% PN, it breaks down roughly to 13% Nitrates and 46% Potassium (as K20), give or take a point depending on purity. The rest is inert matter/material.
  35. Featured Author
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.59%

I just bought Nutriguard Potassium Nitrates, I was wondering how many pills I should start out with to avoid any sides? Thanks

250mg per pill
    if u want the best bang for your buck u need to take it with activated charcoal supplement and an elemental sulfur supplement.
    Anabolicminds.com Featured Author
  36. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.21%

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Arnold View Post
    if u want the best bang for your buck u need to take it with activated charcoal supplement and an elemental sulfur supplement.
    Elemental sulfur and potassium nitrate? Are we sure we aren't talking about growing plants lol? If that is true though I guess throw in some vitamin C and you have the makings for a new supp to go with your typical PWO.
  37. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.43%

To answer original question 6 caps. That is what I take and it works great.
  38. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.21%

Gotta fertilize to grow big muscles
  39. Featured Author
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.59%

i was referring to black powder you numbskulls
    Anabolicminds.com Featured Author
  40. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.21%

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Arnold View Post
    i was referring to black powder you numbskulls
    Black powder sweet name! But doesn't MRI already have that? J/k you got me...

Similar Forum Threads

1. Potassium? How much is too much?
    By Yimen E.Cricket in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-17-2003, 10:18 PM
  2. breakdown of andro nitrate fuel from twinlab?
    By xarmyguy26 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-28-2003, 01:07 PM
  3. how much potassium?
    By LakeMountD in forum Supplements
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-03-2003, 08:30 AM
  4. My contest is this Sat. How much potassium to take?
    By FullyBuilt in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-11-2003, 06:46 PM
  5. Potassium>Salt
    By dez/null in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-30-2003, 03:27 PM