Best blood pressure supplements?

  1. New Member
    ThatMonkey's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    29
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    46.25%

    Best blood pressure supplements?


    Title sums it up. Which supps are best to keep blood pressure in check? And does anyone know if formestane will raise blood pressure?

  2. New Member
    rhgunner's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    142
    Rep Power
    5480
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    35.54%

    1) Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10)

    There is some evidence that the supplement CoQ10 may help to reduce high blood pressure. A 12 week double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of 83 people with systolic hypertension examined the effect of CoQ10 supplements (60 mg twice daily). After the 12 weeks, there was a mean reduction in systolic blood pressure of 17.8 mm Hg in the Coq10-treated group.

    Another study conducted at the University of Western Australia looked at the effect of CoQ10 on blood pressure and glycemic control in 74 people with type 2 diabetes. Participants were randomly assigned to receive either 100mg CoQ10 twice daily, 200mg of the drug fenfibrate, both, or neither for 12 weeks.
    CoQ10 significantly reduced systolic and diastolic blood pressure(mean reduction 6.1 mm Hg and 2.9 mm Hg respectively). There was also a reduction in HbA1C, a marker for long-term glycemic control.
    2) Garlic

    In a meta-analysis of seven randomized controlled trials of garlic supplements, three trials showed a significant reduction in systolic blood pressure and four in diastolic blood pressure. Researchers concluded that garlic powder supplement may be of clinical use in patients with mild high blood pressure.
    Garlic supplements should only be used under the supervision of a qualified health practitioner. Garlic can thin the blood (reduce the ability of blood to clot) similar to aspirin. Garlic may interact with many drugs and supplements such as the prescription drugs such as Coumadin (warfarin) or Trental (pentoxifylline), aspirin, vitamin E, gingko. It is usually recommended that people taking garlic stop in the weeks before and after any type of surgery.
    3) Hawthorn

    The herb hawthorn is often used by traditional herbal practitioners for high blood pressure.
    In a randomized controlled trial conducted by researchers in Reading, UK, 79 patients with type 2 diabetes were randomized to receive either 1200 mg of hawthorn extract a day or placebo for 16 weeks. Medication for high blood pressure was used by 71 percent of the patients.
    At the end of the 16 weeks, patients taking the hawthorn supplement had a significant reduction in mean diastolic blood pressure (2.6 mm Hg). No herb-drug interactions were reported.
    4) Fish oil

    Preliminary studies suggest that fish oil may have a modest effect on high blood pressure. Although fish oil supplements often contain both DHA (docohexaenoic acid) and EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid), there is some evidence that DHA is the ingredient that lowers high blood pressure.
    5) Folic acid

    Folate is a B vitamin necessary for formation of red blood cells. It may help to lower high blood pressure in some people, possibly by reducing elevated homocysteine levels.
    One small study of 24 cigarette smokers found that four weeks of folic acid supplementation significantly lowered blood pressure.
    More natural treatments for high blood pressure on the next page...
  3. Board Sponsor
    R1balla's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    12,117
    Rep Power
    4366769
    Level
    90
    Lv. Percent
    29.58%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by rhgunner View Post
    1) Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10)

    There is some evidence that the supplement CoQ10 may help to reduce high blood pressure. A 12 week double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of 83 people with systolic hypertension examined the effect of CoQ10 supplements (60 mg twice daily). After the 12 weeks, there was a mean reduction in systolic blood pressure of 17.8 mm Hg in the Coq10-treated group.

    Another study conducted at the University of Western Australia looked at the effect of CoQ10 on blood pressure and glycemic control in 74 people with type 2 diabetes. Participants were randomly assigned to receive either 100mg CoQ10 twice daily, 200mg of the drug fenfibrate, both, or neither for 12 weeks.
    CoQ10 significantly reduced systolic and diastolic blood pressure(mean reduction 6.1 mm Hg and 2.9 mm Hg respectively). There was also a reduction in HbA1C, a marker for long-term glycemic control.
    2) Garlic

    In a meta-analysis of seven randomized controlled trials of garlic supplements, three trials showed a significant reduction in systolic blood pressure and four in diastolic blood pressure. Researchers concluded that garlic powder supplement may be of clinical use in patients with mild high blood pressure.
    Garlic supplements should only be used under the supervision of a qualified health practitioner. Garlic can thin the blood (reduce the ability of blood to clot) similar to aspirin. Garlic may interact with many drugs and supplements such as the prescription drugs such as Coumadin (warfarin) or Trental (pentoxifylline), aspirin, vitamin E, gingko. It is usually recommended that people taking garlic stop in the weeks before and after any type of surgery.
    3) Hawthorn

    The herb hawthorn is often used by traditional herbal practitioners for high blood pressure.
    In a randomized controlled trial conducted by researchers in Reading, UK, 79 patients with type 2 diabetes were randomized to receive either 1200 mg of hawthorn extract a day or placebo for 16 weeks. Medication for high blood pressure was used by 71 percent of the patients.
    At the end of the 16 weeks, patients taking the hawthorn supplement had a significant reduction in mean diastolic blood pressure (2.6 mm Hg). No herb-drug interactions were reported.
    4) Fish oil

    Preliminary studies suggest that fish oil may have a modest effect on high blood pressure. Although fish oil supplements often contain both DHA (docohexaenoic acid) and EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid), there is some evidence that DHA is the ingredient that lowers high blood pressure.
    5) Folic acid

    Folate is a B vitamin necessary for formation of red blood cells. It may help to lower high blood pressure in some people, possibly by reducing elevated homocysteine levels.
    One small study of 24 cigarette smokers found that four weeks of folic acid supplementation significantly lowered blood pressure.
    More natural treatments for high blood pressure on the next page...
    nice post even if it was copy and paste lol

    another supplement to think about (especially during the cutting season) is Forskolin-95
    Hardcore Supps for the Hardcore Trainer
    Use Discount Code AM20 To Save 20% At www.ironflexsupps.com


    •   
       

  4. New Member
    ThatMonkey's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    29
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    46.25%

    Thanks guys I appreciate it I'm gonna go pick up a few to try on payday. Does anyone know whether the formestane raises Bp?
  5. Senior Member
    thegodfather's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,045
    Rep Power
    113184
    Level
    29
    Lv. Percent
    19.58%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Celery Seed Extract.
    Remember why you started.
  6. Board Sponsor
    R1balla's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    12,117
    Rep Power
    4366769
    Level
    90
    Lv. Percent
    29.58%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    are you using this as pct? formestane can keep your test levels suppressed (4-hydroxytestosterone), thats why many people do not use it in pct
    Hardcore Supps for the Hardcore Trainer
    Use Discount Code AM20 To Save 20% At www.ironflexsupps.com


  7. Board Sponsor
    R1balla's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    12,117
    Rep Power
    4366769
    Level
    90
    Lv. Percent
    29.58%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    as far as blood pressure, ive seen it being raised with formestane.
    Hardcore Supps for the Hardcore Trainer
    Use Discount Code AM20 To Save 20% At www.ironflexsupps.com


  8. New Member
    ThatMonkey's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    29
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    46.25%

    No using at stand alone to assist maintaining muscle while cutting fat. I'm using formeron transdermal at 300 mg a day.
  9. Elite Member
    criticalbench's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,824
    Rep Power
    767474
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    53.33%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    Celery Seed Extract.
    This.

    It mimmics a calcium channel blocker and mild diuretic.

    Mike
  10. New Member
    zv3's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    207
    Rep Power
    96634
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    66.96%

    AI Cycle support helped me with BP. Your supposed to use it during and after a cycle of PH's, but I've heard that the profile is so effective that guys use it even off-cycle. For me it's good stuff, but it's the V8 juice of supplements, taste like celery and cayenne pepper!
  11. New Member
    JRob23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Age
    30
    Posts
    246
    Rep Power
    111116
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    55.44%

    You can add grapeseed extract to that list
    Jimmy Robinson
    Natural Pro Bodybuilder
  12. Elite Member
    criticalbench's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,824
    Rep Power
    767474
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    53.33%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by JRob23 View Post
    You can add grapeseed extract to that list
    Yup, 300mg of 95% extract is my thing.
  13. Board Sponsor
    SwolenONE's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,326
    Rep Power
    1220795
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    86.3%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Sadly, we recently discontinued BP Stabil which was a staple of many competitive BBers we are close with.

    Due to the severity of the issue of hypertension, if your BP problems are really becoming a problem, dont be afraid to speak with your doc rather than seek out a plethora of herbal remedies.
    Molecular Nutrition - Unlevel The Field
    X-Factor: THE Most Scientifically Valid Muscle Builder, Ever!
    Sign up for INSANE deals via our newsletter: www.mninsider.com
  14. New Member
    ThatMonkey's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    29
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    46.25%

    Thanks guys! It's more of a preventative measure rather than treating a current issue. Just wanna be sure as this is my first run with anything hormonal so I wanna keep my bases covered. I started it Sunday and I've already been able to notice things out of the normal. I seem to have a little bit more anxiety or a little more of an edge than normal. So I think Ill add In Some sort of Bp support this weekend.
  15. New Member
    JRob23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Age
    30
    Posts
    246
    Rep Power
    111116
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    55.44%

    Quote Originally Posted by criticalbench View Post
    Yup, 300mg of 95% extract is my thing.
    That's the good stuff right dare

    Kind of pricey too : /
    Jimmy Robinson
    Natural Pro Bodybuilder
  16. Professional Member
    kenpoengineer's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  160 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Age
    54
    Posts
    4,820
    Rep Power
    3157341
    Level
    73
    Lv. Percent
    94.01%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatMonkey View Post
    Thanks guys! It's more of a preventative measure rather than treating a current issue. Just wanna be sure as this is my first run with anything hormonal so I wanna keep my bases covered. I started it Sunday and I've already been able to notice things out of the normal. I seem to have a little bit more anxiety or a little more of an edge than normal. So I think Ill add In Some sort of Bp support this weekend.
    Without actually measuring your BP, how do you know it's high? I'd suggest using Walmart if you don't have one at home. Better checked than guessed.
  17. New Member
    ThatMonkey's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    29
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    46.25%

    It's not high it was at 124/76 today. I actually do use Walmart haha great advice! I just want something to keep it from getting high. Where I'm at now is not bad but the day I started this run I was at 104/75 so I just wanna make sure it doesn't get too much higher. Not really worried though as I'm still in the ok zone.
  18. Advanced Member
    toddgranit's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  186 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Age
    48
    Posts
    535
    Rep Power
    48049
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    80.26%

    Agmatine sulphate actually lowers blood pressure considerably.
  19. Diamond Member
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,614
    Rep Power
    6447817
    Level
    98
    Lv. Percent
    16.59%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Odd that this hasn't been mentioned yet, considering it is clinically used to reduce afterload: nitrates!
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  20. Banned
    JD261985's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,700
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    56.91%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatMonkey View Post
    It's not high it was at 124/76 today. I actually do use Walmart haha great advice! I just want something to keep it from getting high. Where I'm at now is not bad but the day I started this run I was at 104/75 so I just wanna make sure it doesn't get too much higher. Not really worried though as I'm still in the ok zone.
    Bro you're perfect no worries
  21. Banned
    JD261985's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,700
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    56.91%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Odd that this hasn't been mentioned yet, considering it is clinically used to reduce afterload: nitrates!
    How much though?
  22. New Member
    TheFugitive's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    244
    Rep Power
    184068
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    2.63%

    Look into Gamma-O, also checkout the current log

    Gamma oryzanol is a mixture of ferulic acid esters of sterols and triterpene alcohols, extracted from rice bran oil. Gama Oryzanol stimulates the release of endorphins the body’s so-called “feel good” hormones. These hormones stimulate the pleasure centers of the brain, and this stimulation results in an elevation of mood. While not as effective as some prescription pharmaceuticals used to treat depression, gamma oryzanol can significantly improve mood. Gamma Oryzanol has been proven to have very strong antioxidant activity and one study showed that it was up to ten times stronger than vitamin E for scavenging free radicals and preventing tissue damage that results from oxidative stress. High LDL levels or high levels of low lipoproteins “bad cholesterol“ is one contributing factor to hypertension or high blood pressure. Gamma Oryzanol has been used as a treatment for high cholesterol levels, and science shows that it may work at reducing blood pressure by increasing HDL high lipoprotein – the so-called “good” cholesterol levels. Gamma oryzanol may boost strength, increase muscle gain, reduce body fat, speed recovery and reduce post-exercise soreness. Gamma oryzanol also has been proven effective to treat symptoms of menopause such as hot flashes and aging syndromes.

    Stabilized rice bran is a super food. It can help control or lower cholesterol and blood sugar levels making it very good fighting coronary heart disease and diabetes. It is high in antioxidants, fighting oxidative stress to the human body. High in proteins, minerals and antioxidants adding stabilized rice bran to your diet will allow your body to fight off the effects of free radical damage bring better quality of health to you and perhaps allow you to live longer and healthier.
  23. Elite Member
    criticalbench's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,824
    Rep Power
    767474
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    53.33%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Odd that this hasn't been mentioned yet, considering it is clinically used to reduce afterload: nitrates!
    But what if we want to reduce preload

    I stick with my coreg for bp, love that stuff, physician managed though!

    Mike
  24. Diamond Member
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,614
    Rep Power
    6447817
    Level
    98
    Lv. Percent
    16.59%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by criticalbench View Post
    But what if we want to reduce preload

    I stick with my coreg for bp, love that stuff, physician managed though!

    Mike
    Well you're in luck, because nitrates reduce both​!
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  25. Senior Member
    thegodfather's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,045
    Rep Power
    113184
    Level
    29
    Lv. Percent
    19.58%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Lecithin is also supposed to be pretty good for lowering blood pressure.
    Remember why you started.
  26. AnabolicHolic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,716
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    81.15%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by criticalbench View Post
    But what if we want to reduce preload

    I stick with my coreg for bp, love that stuff, physician managed though!

    Mike
    coreg doesn't seem to do jack squat for my BP....it does reduce my heart rate nicely though. I need something like lisinopril to really bring my BP to where it needs to be while on certain supps and anabolic aids. I add in hawthorn extract if something REALLY jacks up my BP. Nice double whammy.
  27. Elite Member
    criticalbench's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,824
    Rep Power
    767474
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    53.33%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by AnabolicHolic

    coreg doesn't seem to do jack squat for my BP....it does reduce my heart rate nicely though. I need something like lisinopril to really bring my BP to where it needs to be while on certain supps and anabolic aids. I add in hawthorn extract if something REALLY jacks up my BP. Nice double whammy.
    I use an ace to.. to prevent left ventricular growth.
  28. New Member
    jaakonpallo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    60
    Rep Power
    23337
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    38.79%

    Quote Originally Posted by criticalbench View Post
    I use an ace to.. to prevent left ventricular growth.
    What is ace to?
  29. New Member
    jaakonpallo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    60
    Rep Power
    23337
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    38.79%

    Also what u mean critical by reduce pre load and what nitrates are u refearing to mr.cooper?....
  30. AnabolicHolic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,716
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    81.15%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by criticalbench View Post
    I use an ace to.. to prevent left ventricular growth.
    My lisinopril is an ACE inhibitor....but yes, apparently I am susceptible to ventricular growth with my supplement and anabolic habits (and genetics I suppose!). That was my major problem, but its fine now with proper medication like the carvedilol and lisinopril. I've never used a calcium channel blocker though, and I hear many guys use that as well.
  31. AnabolicHolic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,716
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    81.15%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by jaakonpallo View Post
    Also what u mean critical by reduce pre load.
    I think maybe critical bench needs to keep this commentary to the sex forum j/k......
  32. New Member
    jaakonpallo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    60
    Rep Power
    23337
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    38.79%

    Well since this is a supplement section what do u guys think about bonito fish peptides as anatural ace inhibitor?
  33. New Member
    Cinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    184
    Rep Power
    455
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    70.66%

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Odd that this hasn't been mentioned yet, considering it is clinically used to reduce afterload: nitrates!
    Nitrates are not a good monotherapy for HTN because of reflex tachy. They're usually combined with a beta blocker in resistant HTN.
  34. New Member
    msloan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    63
    Rep Power
    281857
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    99.26%

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Odd that this hasn't been mentioned yet, considering it is clinically used to reduce afterload: nitrates!
    +1 to nitrates.
  35. Elite Member
    Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428709
    Level
    76
    Lv. Percent
    42.7%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatMonkey View Post
    Title sums it up. Which supps are best to keep blood pressure in check? And does anyone know if formestane will raise blood pressure?
    To keep BP in check:

    -Lower Sat Fat Diet
    -High Omega-3 intake (EPA/DHA, shoot for 3-5g)
    -CoQ10
    -Hawthorne Berry extract
    -Celery seed extract
    -Proper hydration
    -Lower Sodium and higher potassium-magnesium intake
    -Nitrates

    And I don't reckon Formestane will do much in the bp department unless you really REALLY megadose it...and even then meh...
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. best supplements for blood pressure?
    By bill86 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 07-11-2012, 06:27 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-17-2010, 02:33 PM
  3. what's some good High Blood Pressure supplements?
    By bullet in forum Supplements
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-29-2008, 12:58 AM
  4. Potassium supplementation lowers blood pressure
    By Smoky in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-08-2006, 11:57 PM
  5. Superdrol + NON-Blood Pressure Supplements
    By rdj6107 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-16-2006, 03:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in